Finally got my first message

winstonwolfe333

Well, so far it’s only been a few days, but the only messages I’ve gotten have been spam. I got a message from someone who, after talking to them for about 3 minutes, only wanted me to create an account on other marketplaces so they could “rent” my account there.

Marked as spam and reported.

Mod Note: marketplace name removed.

We all got many of those messages in the beginning, don’t let it discourage you Winston.

If I could make a few small suggestions here:

Your voice is genuinely wonderful, I definitely understand why so many people were nudging you to come here! That being said, your podcast does show off your voice, but your buyers aren’t likely to be looking for a podcast. I’d suggest making a video recording of something they would be looking for, instead.

An intro to a faux company, for illustration purposes?

You reading the first few iconic lines of a (public domain, natch) famous book for audiobook recordings?

You delivering a few pithy lines as a commercial voiceover? (E.g. “Soylent Green: It’s people! Tasty people.”)

You delivering the company shpiel for the voicemail (Thank you for calling Acme Industries, where we solve your Roadrunner problems for good. Press 1 to be connected to…)

You understand what I mean? You want to demonstrate that you can wear those respective hats in order to better market yourself to the people looking to buy X thing.

Also, and take this with a fair grain of salt because I’m a relative newbie here, I don’t think you’re going to get any bites on the “mail me your VHS tapes” front. Pretty much everything here is digital, that’s where the money is. You might want to use those gig spaces to break out various voiceover options instead.

Well, so far it’s only been a few days, but the only messages I’ve gotten have been spam. I got a message from someone who, after talking to them for about 3 minutes, only wanted me to create an account on other marketplaces so they could “rent” my account there.

Marked as spam and reported.

Mod Note: marketplace name removed.

the only messages I’ve gotten have been spam.

They target new sellers expecting them to be desperate for anything and inexperienced enough to fall for it. And there are those who fall for it, so they keep doing it.

WTF? I did. Tell that to the guy who spammed me.

You’ll see plenty of irrelevant/barely relevant posts on the forum, typically coming from those who struggle to understand what’s being said, but have read somewhere (or even paid for a course that taught them) that posting on the forum will bring them sales. Just ignore them.

Archived