How To Spot Potentiality In New Sellers?

nyantsa

On 8/16/2021 at 7:07 PM, newsmike said:

Yeah, we get it. But @theratypist's point is that most will be lying about being experts just to get sales. 

yeah thats partially true in some context, but most of the time new sellers like me really had some potential to do something BIG 

On 8/19/2021 at 7:28 PM, newsmike said:

No one is owed anything. This attitide is not helpful. 

yes no one owed to anything but if you hire a new seller, they will try to give their best 

• Like 123
  • Up 4

1 minute ago, seo_aoyon said:

but if you hire a new seller, they will try to give their best

Are you suggesting that if a buyer chooses to hire a long-time veteran seller, that seller won't give best effort/work? 

Edited by jonbaas
  • Like 123
  • Confused 1

On 8/20/2021 at 1:49 AM, seo_aoyon said:

yes no one owed to anything but if you hire a new seller, they will try to give their best

I think that may be true for some, absolutely. But you cannot speak for the entire crop of new sellers. Many of them may try, but are clearly exaggerating their skill set, cannot communicate properly and break TOS. 

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 131
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 4

On 8/15/2021 at 11:21 PM, theratypist said:

The problem is all new sellers will likely have "expert" written on their description

It is not always the case that if you are a new seller, you will be able to write the description neatly. There are many new seller who can't write a description properly but can do a very good job.

• Like 115

11 minutes ago, rkmanvia said:

It is not always the case that if you are a new seller, you will be able to write the description neatly. There are many new seller who can't write a description properly but can do a very good job.

two week fast track institute brother... Better than Harvard.

Everyone is expert pro we just cant type sentences 

Edited by drasnia
  • Like 105
  • Haha 7
  • Up 1

1 hour ago, rkmanvia said:

Communication is important. Why hire someone who cannot communicate professionally, when you can hire someone who can do the job and is educated as well. This is not a charity designed to help illiterates prosper. It is a competitive business platform. 

• Like 108
  • Haha 3
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rkmanvia said:

who can't write a description properly but can do a very good job.

I've seen new graphic designers who are actually skilled, but unfortunately their English skills were not quite there yet. Their defense was "Our work will speak for us, it's OK if our English is not that good."
Well, it's not. If I saw 2 gigs, both looked very good with amazing original samples, but one had a good description with zero grammar errors and the other had errors in them there is a HIGH chance I'll take the seller with the better English.
One reason is because I get the feeling I would have less problems communicating. It's hard to get your point across at times even if both of you spoke the same language at a native level, I believe it will be even harder if the other person lacked the language skills.
Second is English level etc aside, the seller did not take the time and didn't bother proofreading the description, did not ask a native/native level person to check the description. That for me is lack of professionalism. For me personally, this is the bigger reason why I would avoid a seller with poor description.

IF the images or samples were blow-my-mind-and knock-my-socks-and-sneakers-off-level good, then I might go for the seller with the poor description.
I kinda think that's rare though...

• Like 105
  • Up 6

3 minutes ago, zeus777 said:

I've seen new graphic designers who are actually skilled, but unfortunately their English skills were not quite there yet. Their defense was "Our work will speak for us, it's OK if our English is not that good."
Well, it's not. If I saw 2 gigs, both looked very good with amazing original samples, but one had a good description with zero grammar errors and the other had errors in them there is a HIGH chance I'll take the seller with the better English.
One reason is because I get the feeling I would have less problems communicating. It's hard to get your point across at times even if both of you spoke the same language at a native level, I believe it will be even harder if the other person lacked the language skills.
Second is English level etc aside, the seller did not take the time and didn't bother proofreading the description, did not ask a native/native level person to check the description. That for me is lack of professionalism. For me personally, this is the bigger reason why I would avoid a seller with poor description.

IF the images or samples were blow-my-mind-and knock-my-socks-and-sneakers-off-level good, then I might go for the seller with the poor description.
I kinda think that's rare though...

That is ok until you find out he actually stole the samples off somebody else like lots do and he cant speak English

The truth is this year new sellers can't be trusted.... I'd love to say its the minority spoiling it for the majority... But in reality this year it seems like 90% of new sellers are frauds or expert pros with no experience 

Edited by drasnia
  • Like 101
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, drasnia said:

The truth is this year new sellers can't be trusted

Not with the pipleline of parrots coming from a concentrated area right now. They are all reading the same pamphlet, show up, steal from other users, then spam the forum about not getting sales. They all expect to have money appear now that they have finally shown up.  The most frustrating part is that they dont even read the advice given in the forum, and just parrot "thank you" all day. I believe many can't even read what is being offered. This is a real problem right now. 

• Like 105
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, nahida_design said:

you are right but i want to be successful seller .

Good. So follow the advice from all the experienced sellers here, and ignore the hundreds of people who offer advice, despite having no sales, no clue, and no skills. Make your gigs great, and be good to your buyers. That's it. 

• Like 133
  • Up 3

12 hours ago, newsmike said:

Good. So follow the advice from all the experienced sellers here, and ignore the hundreds of people who offer advice, despite having no sales, no clue, and no skills. Make your gigs great, and be good to your buyers. That's it. 

Thank you for your advice i will try my best 

• Like 104
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, newsmike said:

Communication is important. Why hire someone who cannot communicate professionally, when you can hire someone who can do the job and is educated as well. This is not a charity designed to help illiterates prosper. It is a competitive business platform. 

I agree with you, If communication is not good, then there is a lot of problem in  having a communication with him/her. That's why every buyer wants a good seller in English. So that he/she can talk to him/her well and can do a successful project together. In that case, the seller must have good skills in English as well as work skills.

• Like 105
  • Thanks 3

19 hours ago, seo_aoyon said:

yeah thats partially true in some context, but most of the time new sellers like me really had some potential to do something BIG

19 hours ago, seo_aoyon said:

• English  - Native/Bilingual
  • French (Français) - Fluent
  • German (Deutsch) - Fluent
  • Italian (Italiano) - Fluent

You must be a linguist! You are skilled in so many languages 😄

• Like 98
  • Haha 6
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, newsmike said:

I think that may be true for some, absolutely. But you cannot speak for the entire crop of new sellers. Many of them may try, but are clearly exaggerating their skill set, cannot communicate properly and break TOS. 

that also can happen with rated seller, don't it?

• Like 86
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, seo_aoyon said:

that also can happen with rated seller, don't it?

If a "rated" ( I think you mean experienced) seller was exxagerating his skills, he would have a lot of bad reviews, so it would be obvious, right?  With a new seller no way to tell. 

• Like 91
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, newsmike said:

If a "rated" ( I think you mean experienced) seller was exxagerating his skills, he would have a lot of bad reviews, so it would be obvious, right?  With a new seller no way to tell. 

some of the rated sellers has negative review too.

• Like 90
  • Thanks 1

It's always a gamble to choose a new seller, sometimes that gamble certainly pays off, I've been the first buyer to give a new seller her first gig, a punt which turned out to be a fantastic result and a continued relationship throughout a project over a few purchases, every time my review was able to include an example from the gig which boosted her profile to now she's quite busy and I'm very happy for her. That time the punt, the gamble paid off for both parties, however that was the exception, not the rule as I've been burnt far more times to now I'm extremely wary.

The advice I can give to a New Seller is have a consistent gig, consistency is key, I cannot stress this enough. If it's art, then make it be clear that the art is all from the same artist, if the drawings are all of wildly different from each-other with some being high-resolution, others being tiny and stretched out, then the only fair assumption that can be made is the seller dragged a bunch of pictures from Google Images they liked onto the profile without any care for rhyme or reason. I understand that if the art is legitimate and different styles are wished to be shown then that is tricky, but I've seen many good examples where they're collated into a montage picture with text underneath each outlining the style, then posting them separately for closer inspection.
Remember that reverse-image search is a thing, I can easily take an image uploaded and it look it up to see where the source is and if it's from some wallpaper site then I'm going to have more red flags than a Lifeguard Supply Shop.
Don't lie, don't steal, be truthful in what you can and cannot do.

That's all before the text, calling oneself an expert, using words like "extraordinary" whilst having   double  spaces  in the description sends very mixed messages.
Also once contact is made, if out of the gate I'm called a "sir" then I'm more often than not tempted to drop it right there, this is why I rarely use the Request function any more, it's all just copy and paste spam.

Being a new seller is very hard, I don't envy that position and it requires a mix of hard work with luck to break out of it, but never ever lie.

• Like 87
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 3

Being a new seller is not an easy thing to see success. When you do something on Fiverr, you have to think twice if you are a new seller. Do you guys know the word 'infollution'? It means Information Pollution. If you are a new seller on this platform, you can find lots of information on social media and especially Youtube. Having a huge amount of knowledge doesn't mean that you will be a successful seller, on the contrary, it makes you worse. While some are saying that '’use keywords'’ related to your service, others are constantly saying that ‘'you don't have to use keywords'’, it is not as important as you think.

I just wanted to give a simple example about information pollution, it doesn't have to be the same topic, you can find another problem with that. So, what would you do in this situation? 

This is terrible man. 

• Like 83
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 3

• 2 weeks later...