No buyer protection - terrible experience

mikefrost

This the choice I had

1. Cancel and get a refund
  2. Don’t cancel and hope that he returned with the files after the grace period or potentially lose my money

Which would choose?

People are quick to judge when it’s not their money on the line

People are quick to judge when it’s not their money on the line

I said I didn’t judge you.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If everything went exactly how you have said it went with your order and the seller was to deliver JPGs and a video then it does appear that you didn’t receive what you had ordered.
If the seller did the work but it hasn’t been delivered correctly for whatever reason, it is unfortunate for them that this has been refunded but at the same time, no communication since is pretty odd. Whether the seller is on holidays or whatever, I find it unlikely that they wouldn’t check their account to see all is ok, wouldn’t check their emails and see that they got messages from you etc. This suggests to me that there was something amiss on the seller’s part. Assuming they are not ill, completely disconnected from internet etc which, sure, could happen but is less likely than those things happening at the same time as a big issue with a big order, it does look to me like they have been in the wrong here.

However, by not using the revision button which is the method you should have used, this order was marked complete by the system which is your fault. If a seller doesn’t respond after 24 hours, the chances of them responding later than that are extremely slim. I disagree with giving a wide benefit of the doubt to people online that I don’t have a longer term relationship with. e.g. I have worked with several people from this forum and “know” them from here too. In those few cases I would give benefit of the doubt.
I’d suggest that in future, regardless of the platform you use, exercise caution and use the platform’s mechanism without giving undue benefit of the doubt. You got lucky this time, you might not get lucky next time but once again, my point here is that it is not the platform who was at fault here - my reading of it is that the seller performed poorly by becoming unresponsive and that you did not react properly to this by using the system’s protocol for if this happens.

If everything went exactly how you have said it went with your order and the seller was to deliver JPGs and a video then it does appear that you didn’t receive what you had ordered.

If the seller did the work but it hasn’t been delivered correctly for whatever reason, it is unfortunate for them that this has been refunded but at the same time, no communication since is pretty odd. Whether the seller is on holidays or whatever, I find it unlikely that they wouldn’t check their account to see all is ok, wouldn’t check their emails and see that they got messages from you etc. This suggests to me that there was something amiss on the seller’s part. Assuming they are not ill, completely disconnected from internet etc which, sure, could happen but is less likely than those things happening at the same time as a big issue with a big order, it does look to me like they have been in the wrong here.

However, by not using the revision button which is the method you should have used, this order was marked complete by the system which is your fault. If a seller doesn’t respond after 24 hours, the chances of them responding later than that are extremely slim. I disagree with giving a wide benefit of the doubt to people online that I don’t have a longer term relationship with. e.g. I have worked with several people from this forum and “know” them from here too. In those few cases I would give benefit of the doubt.

I’d suggest that in future, regardless of the platform you use, exercise caution and use the platform’s mechanism without giving undue benefit of the doubt. You got lucky this time, you might not get lucky next time but once again, my point here is that it is not the platform who was at fault here - my reading of it is that the seller performed poorly by becoming unresponsive and that you did not react properly to this by using the system’s protocol for if this happens.

Sounds like solid advice

You’re also correct about knowing people. During this a few have reached out to me privately and I have someone doing some work on this platform in a different area. So there have been positives. While you don’t know me I’m ethical, I run an elearning business and constantly use freelancers. I will hold off as much as I can in case the seller is away bit there will be a point at which I have to deliver to the client and will unfortunately have to engage another.
Let’s hope the seller makes contact within the next 7 days

You’re also correct about knowing people. During this a few have reached out to me privately and I have someone doing some work on this platform in a different area. So there have been positives. While you don’t know me I’m ethical, I run an elearning business and constantly use freelancers. I will hold off as much as I can in case the seller is away bit there will be a point at which I have to deliver to the client and will unfortunately have to engage another.

Let’s hope the seller makes contact within the next 7 days

I have got that impression from you and that you were looking for a fair resolution to your situation. Regarding being ethical, you would be amazed what some people tell themselves is being ethical and nowhere moreso than on freelancing platforms (both buyers and sellers) so the skepticism of some users here is understandable, for me anyway.

Trust on the internet is something that should be given with extreme caution though, and measured appropriately to the interactions you have with the other person, from both buying and selling perspectives.

I have got that impression from you and that you were looking for a fair resolution to your situation. Regarding being ethical, you would be amazed what some people tell themselves is being ethical and nowhere moreso than on freelancing platforms (both buyers and sellers) so the skepticism of some users here is understandable, for me anyway.

Trust on the internet is something that should be given with extreme caution though, and measured appropriately to the interactions you have with the other person, from both buying and selling perspectives.

I understand what you are saying and appreciate that no one here knows me. So each person can make their own judgement on this issue but it was important to share and will continue to if I hear any more

Just a quick reminder regarding “fiverr bad, fiverr losing money”: most freelancers with established careers have accounts across multiple freelance platforms. Fiverr has the quickest, easiest and often biased towards a buyer refund procedure comparing to the rest of those. I’ve been hearing “X is losing money” about all of them ever since I’ve started freelancing.

It’s semi-relevant to the topic but the statements like this are being thrown around in all of the similar posts (with most situations ending up being resolved in buyer’s favor). And once the thread is still going, Happy New Year, everyone.

Just a quick reminder regarding “fiverr bad, fiverr losing money”: most freelancers with established careers have accounts across multiple freelance platforms. Fiverr has the quickest, easiest and often biased towards a buyer refund procedure comparing to the rest of those. I’ve been hearing “X is losing money” about all of them ever since I’ve started freelancing.

It’s semi-relevant to the topic but the statements like this are being thrown around in all of the similar posts (with most situations ending up being resolved in buyer’s favor). And once the thread is still going, Happy New Year, everyone.

I’ve been hearing “X is losing money” about all of them ever since I’ve started freelancing.

Yeah, all big and expanding companies make a significant loss. Uber was on track to lose almost $3 Billion last year and it is still seen as a growth company, an industry leader, industry disruptor etc. Uber is aiming for profitability in 2021.

By comparison, Fiverr had a $35 million loss in 2018 and was on track for similar in 2019 when the IPO happened. This didn’t put investors off who clearly see something happening in the not so distant future so I wouldn’t pay much attention to losses as the growth is clearly happening.

Fiverr refunded the money.

Ive sent the seller a message and asked him to contact me. I agree its not fair on him if he’s done the work

None of what you say makes sense. You’ve just admitted that your seller may have been on vacation over the holidays:

The seller I had has delivered in the past and I suspect he may be away.

Now you are saying that you will pay your seller if they show up and have done the work… even though you needed this project ASAP and now need to hire another seller?

Ive sent the seller a message and asked him to contact me. I agree its not fair on him if he’s done the work

Well, the good thing about Fiverr is that if a buyer uses a sellers work online in any capacity without paying, it’s easy to track that own and issue a DCMA takedown request with web hosts.

Since you have got your money back, you should just scrap the project you had with your original seller and get the work you need done asap by someone else.

You’ve just admitted that your seller may have been on vacation over the holidays:

It does look weird that the seller didn’t respond since December 14th, though.

You’ve just admitted that your seller may have been on vacation over the holidays:

Some people take month/s off. That’s the beauty of freelancing. And my therapist chastises me for checking my business emails on vacation when I promised I wouldn’t.

I think people sometimes forget that freelancing is not an office job and the availability can be quite chaotic.

I would be following up on my deliveries if I was working with $1000+ orders on a regular basis, though. You’d assume people check their deliveries when they receive them or soon after but pretty often it’s not the case.

Some people take month/s off. That’s the beauty of freelancing. And my therapist chastises me for checking my business emails on vacation when I promised I wouldn’t.

I think people sometimes forget that freelancing is not an office job and the availability can be quite chaotic.

I would be following up on my deliveries if I was working with $1000+ orders on a regular basis, though. You’d assume people check their deliveries when they receive them or soon after but pretty often it’s not the case.

@lenasemenkova I think, you are right.

The OP stayed remarkably calm and reasonable throughout his ordeal. It’s a big contrast to how some others would have reacted. I’m not sure I would be as calm if I had lost $1000 on a corrupted unusable file, and had the seller disappear, and go through several CS agents before getting a refund.

Kudos to the CS agent who finally decided a refund was due. And also kudos to the other CS agents who stood firm about sticking to the rule about no refunds after the allotted time. I’m glad it all worked out well.

Archived