CHEAP Buyer Requests!?

ambleonline

Hi, I hope everyone is doing great! and happy holidays!

I am quite new to the forum and have only done posts on a couple issues that I had encountered before. I can definitely say that I like how Fiverr works and how a completely new seller gets a chance to make their mark in the marketplace if they are skilled in what they do.

When I started, I didn’t think I would ever be able to make a sale with little to no portfolio to show my work. So to get me first couple sales, I did offer my services really cheap (I mean I have even offered the lowest I could go on fiverr i.e $5) - But what I want every new seller to know is that it was NOT something that got me sales in my initial phase. I will be doing a detailed post later on about how I was able to get my sales going, as a beginner when I had no portfolio. Right now I will be talking about a different issue that I saw today

Every time I open this forum I always see a post from a new seller “Struggling” to get their first sale. I know the first sale is a breakthrough and is definitely better than having no sales at all. But I learned from my mistake when I wasted my time thinking that if I offered the cheapest price I will definitely get the sale.

I sent 10 offers daily, initially. through buyer request with the lowest budget I could set on each. I WAS WRONG - I do see that most of the new buyers have this mentality. This may help you with only a few cases where buyer’s top priority is the lowest budget and nothing else (which is not a usual case) and this platform allows buyers and sellers to decide mutually about the projects they want to do so no sale or order is forced.

These low budget offers are creating two problems:

1. Seeing the sellers offer a really cheap price, just to get their first sale (since mostly the new buyers send offers through buyer requests) - Buyers most of the time will get the idea that the service they are requesting actually comes as cheap as it’s being offered, which is not the case. I have even seen some buyer requests which I think it would just be stupid to send an offer to and there I’ll see about 24 offers already sent.

I am not judging anybody but I think this is because the new sellers are trying really hard to get a sale from any job they possibly could (which is not even in their skillset) - Not only will getting a job from such a request may end up being a bad experience fro the buyer as well as seller (which would simply put out a bad name about the platform and the seller) it will most definitely occur to buyer that the service they got so cheap is really the actual worth of the service.

1. The second problem arises from the first problem. Seeing this vulnerability in the marketplace - Sellers may try to exploit other sellers by outsourcing a service for really cheap (to give the other seller a sale) and getting a fully formed product/service in return.

I am attaching a screenshot of the two buyer requests that straight on SHOCKED ME

Offers.png.a31dd3e18caca563e1f567479b50c05b.png
Offers834×249 28.7 KB

Both the offers in the screenshot show that the buyers have requested for having a website made and both of them have set up the budget to be $10 - One of them has even mentioned explicitly that his budget is $10 and won’t be considering any offers above that budget…

I mean seriously??? you are getting yourself/your brand digitally native on the internet and you believe that it is only worth $10?? I know it is a wordpress website - wordpress is easier to use and allows the users to create a website without having to code but it still requires WORK, it still requires UNDERSTANDING of the platform, it still requires EXPERIENCE and most importantly, it requires YOUR TIME

And what surprises me more is that both of them have received more than 20 offers. I personally think not only are you devaluating the marketplace by sending these jobs an offer, you are also devaluating yourself. Try to understand it this way - do you consider your time, your skills and your experience, in such an open marketplace, worth no more than $10, when you are creating a completely functional website??

You have to realize that when you are offering a price, your actually mentioning the WORTH you believe your service is in that budget box’

Now do note that the purpose of me doing this post is not because you shouldn’t do $10 jobs as new seller or even a pro seller. Because there are many jobs, being offered, which don’t come too expensive and fair price for them does lie in between $5 and $20 - it’s true. Most of the services I provide come at around $20 basic

But I personally believe that you shouldn’t go offering an unrealistically low price for services which are worth way more (as shown in the screenshot)

I hope this post was helpful and I will do my best to submit my other post as soon as I can to share my experience

There are all kinds of people on fiverr. Some do things that don’t make sense. The Buyer’s Request section is to put the cheap in touch with the desperate. And there is no limit on those traits apparently.

Yes, but the sellers (especially the new ones) should try to realize their worth - It is exactly the way you described - but it doesn’t have to be that way if only the sellers play their part. It is really good to see that you are one of the top sellers and you can probably have a better understanding of how things worked out for you 🙂

There are indeed many buyers in the Buyer’s Request section that put out cheap requests but some of the buyers I have been working with have been really great and I was able to do business with that through the Buyer’s Request section - So it really isn’t that bad if sellers try to play it a little bit more smart and stop chasing their first sale so desperately

Yes, but the sellers (especially the new ones) should try to realize their worth - It is exactly the way you described - but it doesn’t have to be that way if only the sellers play their part. It is really good to see that you are one of the top sellers and you can probably have a better understanding of how things worked out for you 🙂

There are indeed many buyers in the Buyer’s Request section that put out cheap requests but some of the buyers I have been working with have been really great and I was able to do business with that through the Buyer’s Request section - So it really isn’t that bad if sellers try to play it a little bit more smart and stop chasing their first sale so desperately

Yes, but the sellers (especially the new ones) should try to realize their worth

I hate to say this, but… some newer sellers aren’t worth more than $5. According to my one and only foray into buyer’s request as a buyer, not worth $5 even.

some of the buyers I have been working with have been really great and I was able to do business with that through the Buyer’s Request section

I’m delighted to hear this! I tried out five logo designers and it was like monkeys were playing with a computer.

After reading your encouraging post, I may give it another chance.

Yes, but the sellers (especially the new ones) should try to realize their worth

I hate to say this, but… some newer sellers aren’t worth more than $5. According to my one and only foray into buyer’s request as a buyer, not worth $5 even.

some of the buyers I have been working with have been really great and I was able to do business with that through the Buyer’s Request section

I’m delighted to hear this! I tried out five logo designers and it was like monkeys were playing with a computer.

After reading your encouraging post, I may give it another chance.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience - I can definitely relate to that as well as I have had experience with most designers (working locally) before and it is really hard to find a good one indeed

Fiverr is an International Marketplace, You can’t make people do the right thing here, no matter how hard you try. All kinds of people are here, with lot’s of 'em creates BR that doesn’t make any sense. And, I don’t think those buyers come to the forum and the seller who undervalues themselves and send offers as well.
I don’t get enough requests to send 10 offers a day, so I make fun of the types you mentioned sometimes.

image.thumb.png.58c65db83e91e85477ebd80ba4ae589a.png
image1240×402 52.3 KB

And, form my own research, about 90% of those people are from underdeveloped regions who intentionally abuses the new sellers and sales the products somewhere else. And, the new seller who undervalues themselves are also from similar regions.

Fiverr is an International Marketplace, You can’t make people do the right thing here, no matter how hard you try. All kinds of people are here, with lot’s of 'em creates BR that doesn’t make any sense. And, I don’t think those buyers come to the forum and the seller who undervalues themselves and send offers as well.

I don’t get enough requests to send 10 offers a day, so I make fun of the types you mentioned sometimes.

And, form my own research, about 90% of those people are from underdeveloped regions who intentionally abuses the new sellers and sales the products somewhere else. And, the new seller who undervalues themselves are also from similar regions.

Yes, you can’t “MAKE” anybody do something - But what you can do is GUIDE them which is all I am trying to do - You, me and anybody who uses this platform and this forum are a part of it. And as a part, we should all try to make it better. If you know the right thing to do, it will be highly appreciated if you share it with those who don’t.

No wonder many new sellers go looking for “TIPS & TRICKS” to make quick money OR simply get guidance on different blog and article sites and the last place they think about looking may just be this forum where it should be the exact opposite.

I do believe that if new sellers try to trust the forum a bit more for guidance on how it play it out good and properly, it will definitely make a fiverr a better marketplace not only for them but also for you.

Although you are right about the cheap buyers as well as the sellers being ignorant - I don’t think mocking them on their requests is the best option - I mean if you send them an offer mocking them about their request, the other sellers won’t see what you sent but what they would see that the buyer has been sent an offer by somebody which may encourage them to send an offer too.

• 6 months later...

I know this thread is very old. Still wanted to share my experience! Obviously I just bid a whatever amount, knowing the person wasn’t going to consider my offer; I wanted to express myself with them, to let them know how unfair it is. The person had 15+ offers. I have NO idea why.

703220634_ridiculousBRfiverr.thumb.jpg.8652b7c7c46cc60b2658a6dccedb3deb.jpg
ridiculous BR fiverr1728×870 255 KB

To be honest, there was a time I did singing, some lyrics and harmonies, for 5-10$ only. But time passed and my prices have gone up. Nevertheless, $5 for everything this buyer is asking, is baffling…

I know this thread is very old. Still wanted to share my experience! Obviously I just bid a whatever amount, knowing the person wasn’t going to consider my offer; I wanted to express myself with them, to let them know how unfair it is. The person had 15+ offers. I have NO idea why.

To be honest, there was a time I did singing, some lyrics and harmonies, for 5-10$ only. But time passed and my prices have gone up. Nevertheless, $5 for everything this buyer is asking, is baffling…

Don’t worry, if they want a $5 job… that’s exactly what they are going to get. Real talents don’t sell themselves for $5.

Hi,
I completely agree with you. Freelancers should understand that they can’t become successful overnight. The myth that you have to send 10 offers each day whether you know the job or not kind of adds to the struggle. At the end of the day, success in any field depends on your skills and dedication. On the other hand, I have seen so many buyer requests that even doesn’t explain clearly what actually are the requirements. I look at the budget of the buyers and become sad most of the time. 😦

I think it would, at the moment, feel right to let the buyer know about how cheap their request is and why they shouldn’t post offers like that… but in my opinion, it’s not the right approach. I mean, another user posted a reply about the same thing (to let buyer know that the price offered is ridiculously low). I think that most of the offers that you see on there are just sent to mock the buyer like you did because nobody would do so much work for so little price… unless they are a new seller and don’t know how things work.

This just adds up to the number of offers, giving encouragement to new buyers to send offers to requests like this just to earn a couple bucks. Even though these requests are reviewed by the Fiverr’s team, there are still no standards for the jobs in terms of pricing.

It’s also sad that there is no way to report offers like this. They shouldn’t be listed there because even if someone does agree to do the job and they are a newbie… the result of the work is most likely cheap. This could mean only one thing for the buyer that “FIVERR” isn’t a very good market and the work delivered by sellers is cheap as buyers do tend to generalise the sellers based on a single experience. It can also be seen on some of the offers where they put some silly requirements to send them an offer.

Archived