POLL! Tell us how you feel about people announcing on the forum when they move up a level!

misscrystal

poll  

64 members have voted

1. 1. poll

• I like to see people announce it on the forum when they move up a level
    • I don’t like to see people announce it on the forum when they move up a level
    • I don’t have an opinion either way

I’ll pray for you. With a hangover live that, you’ll need it. 😉

Ah sure that’s nothing. Add a cigarette and it’s called a full Irish breakfast.

it says 108 for ale actually and the 126 was for wine according to the Wiki, but perhaps Guiness gets a special lucky number or something

Yeah, but you know how we Irish like to exaggerate

Ah sure that’s nothing. Add a cigarette and it’s called a full Irish breakfast.

it says 108 for ale actually and the 126 was for wine according to the Wiki, but perhaps Guiness gets a special lucky number or something

Yeah, but you know how we Irish like to exaggerate

a full Irish breakfast.

That is no joke, the Irishman I knew … the amount of booze he would consume before noon.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Human can learn from our mistake that what He/She do, so if anyone can do mistake then slowly tell about their mistake not press or pushing down towards the world.

Yeah everyone is not knowing all about everything if He/She do wrong tell them privately, they will easily understand it. Then He/She will not repeat this mistake again. Then suddenly other do wrong then same He/She treat like other treat at this situation.

Human can learn from our mistake that what He/She do, so if anyone can do mistake then slowly tell about their mistake not press or pushing down towards the world.

Yeah everyone is not knowing all about everything if He/She do wrong tell them privately, they will easily understand it. Then He/She will not repeat this mistake again. Then suddenly other do wrong then same He/She treat like other treat at this situation.

It’s nice of you to attempt to stand up for newcomers. It’s sad that most newcomers don’t read the rules. While I would like to treat each and every person properly, there are simply too many new people to give each and every one individual attention. It’s expected that users behave like adults, but when most don’t even know the conditions they’ve agreed to, there is no other option but to scold like a child, because rule-breaking behavior risks more than themselves. It risks others. Many of the false tips that circulate the forums is a result of the rumors not being cut off fast enough.

I’m fully aware that a great many people have never been on a forum before, which is part of why it gets treated like a gymnasium or playground rather than a classroom. I’m fully aware that the language barrier, societal differences, cultural differences, technological differences, age differences and so, so many other demographics make it tricky to interact without stepping on toes.

The golden rule applies. But it’s plain impossible to uphold when the inmates run the asylum.

It’s completely possible to learn from other’s mistakes, but many people weren’t here to witness that mistake and lesson, and thus make the mistake themselves, and thus the cycle continues. If the mistakes are pointed out in private, then no one learns them, other than the offender.

Part of the reason for a forum is for pooled knowledge. The point of a classroom is to teach many people all at once. The knowledge is already here. The next ten ‘first post’ you see, check their read time. I’d be willing to bet that none would have a read time over an hour.

Asking for guidance is one thing. Demanding direct and individual attention is completely different. Private tutors are expensive in the real world. I get nothing for the hours I spend on the forum, attempting to help. Just how slowly should I explain something to one person, when there are 100 other children on the playground saying that climbing on the roof is fine and it’s okay to poke the wasp nest because they can be stung twice before there’re any consequences?

It’s nice of you to attempt to stand up for newcomers. It’s sad that most newcomers don’t read the rules. While I would like to treat each and every person properly, there are simply too many new people to give each and every one individual attention. It’s expected that users behave like adults, but when most don’t even know the conditions they’ve agreed to, there is no other option but to scold like a child, because rule-breaking behavior risks more than themselves. It risks others. Many of the false tips that circulate the forums is a result of the rumors not being cut off fast enough.

I’m fully aware that a great many people have never been on a forum before, which is part of why it gets treated like a gymnasium or playground rather than a classroom. I’m fully aware that the language barrier, societal differences, cultural differences, technological differences, age differences and so, so many other demographics make it tricky to interact without stepping on toes.

The golden rule applies. But it’s plain impossible to uphold when the inmates run the asylum.

It’s completely possible to learn from other’s mistakes, but many people weren’t here to witness that mistake and lesson, and thus make the mistake themselves, and thus the cycle continues. If the mistakes are pointed out in private, then no one learns them, other than the offender.

Part of the reason for a forum is for pooled knowledge. The point of a classroom is to teach many people all at once. The knowledge is already here. The next ten ‘first post’ you see, check their read time. I’d be willing to bet that none would have a read time over an hour.

Asking for guidance is one thing. Demanding direct and individual attention is completely different. Private tutors are expensive in the real world. I get nothing for the hours I spend on the forum, attempting to help. Just how slowly should I explain something to one person, when there are 100 other children on the playground saying that climbing on the roof is fine and it’s okay to poke the wasp nest because they can be stung twice before there’re any consequences?

yeah first thank you for appreciate, yeah their for newcomers include we all that we try to behave normal with each other, which is quite helpful for all and yes if someone is in hurry and dont read the rules then its our responsibility to remember the conditions and all that, yeah somewhere adults behave like child.

yeah somewhere they dont know about rules thats why they break it, if they break then slowly tell them and warn, dont report or other actions against them. Always rules are golden but in human nature we dont follow and somewhere we we break it and dont know it.

if you here to help some persons thats is good for all, then if somewhere you need help then other will treat same like with you.yeah just are consequences in climbing but dont lose heart.

On 4/14/2020 at 10:39 AM, sa_classydesign said:

if they break then slowly tell them and warn, dont report or other actions against them.

If one persons actions put another person in danger, no, I will not give them a warning.

If there are twenty people breaking the same rule, no, I will not tell them individually to get off the roof.

If someone has already stuck gum under a desk 20 times, no, they will not get a warning, because others are already imitating that behavior. (And the teachers have no way of enforcing them to clean up their own mess.)

Would I prefer to be warned before scolded? Yes, but I also read the rules before posting. I already performed the behavior I want to see. I minimized the chance that I might be breaking a rule, by knowing the rules first.

Always rules are golden

if you here to help some persons thats is good for all, then if somewhere you need help then other will treat same like with you

Yup, that golden rule. Exactly right. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rule

On 4/14/2020 at 10:52 AM, imagination7413 said:

If one persons actions put another person in danger, no, I will not give them a warning.

If there are twenty people breaking the same rule, no, I will not tell them individually to get off the roof.

If someone has already stuck gum under a desk 20 times, no, they will not get a warning, because others are already imitating that behavior. (And the teachers have no way of enforcing them to clean up their own mess.)

Would I prefer to be warned before scolded? Yes, but I also read the rules before posting. I already performed the behavior I want to see. I minimized the chance that I might be breaking a rule, by knowing the rules first.

Yup, that golden rule. Exactly right. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rule

yes if someone is in then you just tell it that result is not good for you. if their many people break same rule then, I dont know what will behave by legal sites or in society.

no if someone is stuck under desk 20 times , then may be not in normal condition maybe have some problem, but teacher give lesson. yeah try to strict with it before warned it is better for him, but must need to know the rules.

can we post the link on new topic of golden rules you give the link?

question: how you do this that you will reply me in single paragraphs?

“Asking for guidance is one thing. Demanding direct and individual attention is completely different. Private tutors are expensive in the real world. I get nothing for the hours I spend on the forum, attempting to help. Just how slowly should I explain something to one person, when there are 100 other children on the playground saying that climbing on the roof is fine and it’s okay to poke the wasp nest because they can be stung twice before there’re any consequences?”

Nailed it. That’s a fabulous metaphor.

I also really like this point: “It’s expected that users behave like adults, but when most don’t even know the conditions they’ve agreed to, there is no other option but to scold like a child, because rule-breaking behavior risks more than themselves. It risks others. Many of the false tips that circulate the forums is a result of the rumors not being cut off fast enough.”

A lot of sellers don’t follow the rules, don’t learn how business/sales works and then come here expecting us to hold their hand and magically hand them jobs. That’s not what a forum is.

I get the impression that a lot of sellers think the forum is a coaching service. It isn’t but even if it was, no coach would tolerate their client not doing their homework. No coach is there to do your work for you.

• 1 year later...

Are we supposed to know everytime someone gets a new order?

I didn't want to rant about this, but it is too much. There are so many posts here that clog up space without any impactful meaning. Someone gets first order, they tell us. They get second order, it's on the forum. They make another order and they post it, telling us to pray for them. Some posts are even so specific 'my first client referred me to another person and he paid $100'. 

I am neither jealous nor hating, but we don't need to know the daily ins-and-out of your freelancing journey. It's boring and it's taking up space. I can't find relevant posts, because they have been pushed to other pages. Today, i was on Fiverr Stories category and 'i just got a new order' was all i saw. It's good to get orders, i mean that's why you are on fiverr. But i really don't care about who referred you, how much you made on each order, your tips, the mundane conversation you had with your client and all of those. They are not important to us here on the forum. 

If you hit a major milestone, do share. I am still impressed with the seller who made over $100,000 in a year. That's inspiring. But if you don't have anything inspiring to share, stop clogging up space. 

Welcome to my ted talk.

Part of me wants to say that 'major' is different for everyone. We all set different standards for ourselves - and to some people, getting their first (or even 2nd/4th) order can be a huge thing. But... there is a huge difference in posting because you think it will raise your 'ranking' (which is what many people seem to be doing. They aren't even bragging, they are just stating a fact, then saying 'wow me' and... that's it. If someone came to me with a story and told me WHY it's great for them to be getting that first order, I'd be happy to celebrate with them. But... they don't. Posting just because someone is telling you to (youtube gurus, from what I can see) or because you think it's helping you (it's not...) is... just useless.

(that being said I'm certain there are ways that even such posts can be fun but... again, the issue is that they aren't made to be fun. They... hold very little purpose.)

I'd be willing to bet (a small amount, nothing major) that, if someone were to put up a poll of all the 50-ish original suggestions from the 2020 wish list that made it into the Google Doc (https://community.fiverr.com/forums/topic/187218-2020-suggestion-document-feedback/) for what current forum visitors would want to see most, an 'achievements/celebrations' category would be in the top three. (Can't stop it at this point, might as well funnel them some place we can ignore.)

I've noticed that most celebration threads I report that are WAY in the wrong category (FAQ/Tips/Rant) tend to end up in 'Experience' or 'Stories', so I guess that's just the default. Back when I was a regular, I tended to move the zero-content 'yay' threads to 'My Fiverr Gigs', primarily for consistency, because a number would include links to said gig or profile, which made "My Fiverr Gig" mandatory due to the forum rules concerning links. Additional supporting reasoning/logic, aside from 'consistency', was that they are celebrating the sale of their gig, therefore this is promoting their gig, thus "My Fiverr Gig".

16 minutes ago, gina_riley2 said:

Some may have found it to be funny, but others may have gotten irritated.

I think I'm right at that tipping point. I get that some regulars are completely fed up and have resorted to some form of 'if you can't beat them, join them' stress relief (which is, indeed, amusing), but it's also clear that it's just mocking at this point, because it does nothing constructive and only clogs the forums more. It also only supports 'you become like those you hang around' observation, and that's just sad.

So, I guess, thank you for not?

4 hours ago, katakatica said:

Part of me wants to say that 'major' is different for everyone. We all set different standards for ourselves - and to some people, getting their first (or even 2nd/4th) order can be a huge thing

Major may be different for everyone else, but this is consistent posting of orders in sequence. A first order is a big deal. I was happy when i got mine. I waited three months for it. I didn't post about it in the forum, but i was elated. Even if i had written about it here, would it make sense to post about the second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh......to 126 where i am now? And they keep going at because there is so much congratulations in the thread.

2 hours ago, imagination7413 said:

'achievements/celebrations' category would be in the top three.

There should be a category for this

It's no coincidence that these types of posts, almost without exception, hail from a particular locale. It's the consequence of a seemingly endless production line churning out 5r drones, who've been told by their 'guru' that spamming the forum with any minor achievement will win them more business. It is pathetic, annoying & childish - but it is the 'way of things' on this forum, so we'll all have to seemingly put up with it. 😒    

Archived