I Miss Office Parties

aswaninabwen510

As a full time freelance writer, I spend most of my time on my computer working on scripts and creating content. Hardly do I find time to make friends (apart from people I communicate with and become acquainted to online)
I miss office parties especially at this time of the year when social gatherings and dress downs are allowed. This must be one of the disadvantages of working online. Can anyone relate?

• Like 6

That’s probably the only thing I don’t miss. Office parties are the worst.

I do agree that making friends now takes an extra effort, though. Working together (not necessarily partying together while wearing silly hats) creates a special bond that becomes friendship for life pretty easily, at least for me.

• Like 10

As a full time freelance writer, I spend most of my time on my computer working on scripts and creating content. Hardly do I find time to make friends (apart from people I communicate with and become acquainted to online)

I miss office parties especially at this time of the year when social gatherings and dress downs are allowed. This must be one of the disadvantages of working online. Can anyone relate?

This must be one of the disadvantages of working online.

I take it as an advantage, the less I interact with people in real life, the safer it feels. Interacting with people online and doing whatever I’d like to do and dealing unknowns in real life is whole different thing. You can look for local community who are doing same work as you and call them for meet-up or some kind of parties once in a while. This will help building a community who understands each other and thinks same way as you do…

• Like 5

That’s probably the only thing I don’t miss. Office parties are the worst.

I do agree that making friends now takes an extra effort, though. Working together (not necessarily partying together while wearing silly hats) creates a special bond that becomes friendship for life pretty easily, at least for me.

I agree, there are special bonds that can be formed online at work. I still think we are meant to be social creatures though… Still its relieving to be running our own schedules and doing what we love

• Like 1

This must be one of the disadvantages of working online.

I take it as an advantage, the less I interact with people in real life, the safer it feels. Interacting with people online and doing whatever I’d like to do and dealing unknowns in real life is whole different thing. You can look for local community who are doing same work as you and call them for meet-up or some kind of parties once in a while. This will help building a community who understands each other and thinks same way as you do…

Never thought about the meet ups, what a wonderful idea. will definitely try it

• Like 1

I miss those too. We had a huge one at the House of Representatives once and it was amazing with a 50 piece Mariachi Band. Yes, they actually rented the House of Representatives, a huge room, and had a party there.

Too much excitement at the company I worked for at that time, it was great. It seemed like half the time it was a big party.

Then there was the party at the entire Design Center in Washington D.C. where I had a little too much to drink, that was fun too.

• Like 3

Source and more dis/advantages of being a freelancer vs office employee, depending on how you see it 😉 : https://brightside.me/creativity-art/15-brilliant-comic-strips-showing-how-freelance-life-is-different-to-an-office-job-238160/

I’m happy either way. But if you work for the right company or in the right field you can have a lot of amazing experiences. I’ve been lucky to work in some incredible places.

• Like 4

I don’t miss office parties. I’d always be late, drink lots to catch up to everyone else, then say completely inappropriate things. Once I told the CEO of my hotel network that he the entire marketing department needed firing for targeting the wrong target market. Then he introduced me to his nice, the new social media marketing manager.

I also spilled red wine on the staircase of a 14th-Century castle once and told everyone it was fine as they needed a new carpet anyway.

Thankfully, I never said anything that got me fired. However, looking back, I was probably just one AGM meeting away from being given my marching orders.

• Like 4

I miss those too. We had a huge one at the House of Representatives once and it was amazing with a 50 piece Mariachi Band. Yes, they actually rented the House of Representatives, a huge room, and had a party there.

Too much excitement at the company I worked for at that time, it was great. It seemed like half the time it was a big party.

Then there was the party at the entire Design Center in Washington D.C. where I had a little too much to drink, that was fun too.

I’d miss that kind of party too misscrystal

• Like 1

I don’t miss office parties. I’d always be late, drink lots to catch up to everyone else, then say completely inappropriate things. Once I told the CEO of my hotel network that he the entire marketing department needed firing for targeting the wrong target market. Then he introduced me to his nice, the new social media marketing manager.

I also spilled red wine on the staircase of a 14th-Century castle once and told everyone it was fine as they needed a new carpet anyway.

Thankfully, I never said anything that got me fired. However, looking back, I was probably just one AGM meeting away from being given my marching orders.

This must have been awkward. I wish I made such cringe worthy memories to look back at 😅

• Like 1

I haven’t worked outside the house in over a decade. The last holiday party I was forced to go to for work ended up with my boss bullying me and another woman into singing the Twelve Days of Christmas in front of everyone. I’ll stay home and just keep working, thanks!

• Like 3

I miss office parties too. My last corporate job had the best holiday parties, with Santa, gaming, and presents for all. My children miss the parties more than I do I think. Now I have to go to the dreaded mall and deal with people I don’t know for the little ones to see Santa.

anything for the kids heee?

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

This is a tough one for me since I'm part of a generation that grew up around smartphones and tablets and whatnot, but I guess the polaroid instant camera is super cool! I know they're still selling now, but they're kind of a niche-thing. Typewriters are also quite interesting and fun.

• Like 8

Hmmmm.. OK, this is NOT technology, but rental video stores.
I know it's all Netflix, Hulu, Amazon etc and they are all great, but as a kid I loved going to those stores with my mom and picking out the movies
I wanted to watch. As a college kid Friday night was movie night and I'll go the Hollywood Videos and Blockbusters with my friends, rent a movie, order pizza, and have fun. 🙂

OK, an actual "technology" that I miss...hmmmmmmmmmm....................I don't miss floppy disks...now typewriters I do miss, I love that ka-ching sound, especially those black and gold antique typewriters are gorgeous. I never owned one but we used to have one at school. 

• Like 8

Renting is a good one. If there was a place to rent a Switch I would probably do that. Related, there's a lot of consoles and games from the 90s and earlier that I miss. Atari, Sega, and whoever made the Commodore 64 need to do the NES Classic thing.
Sometimes I find it weird that there are no payphones anymore where I live, but I get it.
Depending if you want to count it as a "technology" or not... none of the buffet places where I live have returned to the buffet format, and the one at the racetrack was so good. I wish that would come back.
I miss the big, boxy, tanky cars like Ford Crown Victoria and Chrysler 5th Avenue. I don't like the sleek modern styles.
I wish passenger trains were more of a supported thing in North America. I'd go more places more often if I could do it in a more leisurely and peaceful manner.
Shoes with buckles instead of laces. I had a pair like that, my second favourite after the zip-up sneakers.
Do "arcades" count as a technology? Used to be every mall had one. Now none of them in my area do. Cyber cafes are also now way more rare around my area. No LAN parties. Should have been replaced by VR Cafes but that never happened, which is weird to me.
I miss the McPizza. I actually liked it.

I bet most of the actual good answers are going to be something along the lines of someone preferring the analog method to a digital method, like how some people swear by vinyl records over everything else. I see it happen a lot in the Dungeons & Dragons world that even though there are searchable online resources, people will still crack the books open to check the wording of a rule, even when they're already playing online.

• Like 10

Not as in product, but generally i missed how durable and long lasting were the old devices are.

You could have taken your fathers shaving machine after 20 years of use, still worked like a charm. Phone dropped to ground? No problem. Tv doesnt show properly? Give it a smack. It may not work like we imagined, but it could take the punch.

Today if you held your phone wrong, it dies. If you held it right, it dies 2 years later. Which is intentional i guess.

Thats why i picked harley davidson when i was buying a motorcyle. Even tho its 2015 model, it lacks some of the newest technology of its time like gps and stuff. But It works, it works in every situation. It doesnt break, it doesnt decay, it doesnt jam, it doesnt need my constant attention. You dont sit on the road because engine does some stupid noise. It is a tank.

I really miss that.

Edited by ozan_erdi
  • Like 9