Backlash for not doing additional work

pyonarts

I think the word revision could be used to justify any type of change to the original at any time. It doesn’t sound fair but that’s really the only way that it could be used without it becoming a battle every time this happens, and it happens constantly.

I’ve had designs done where it was evolving as we went along and each time it was a revision, but it was some new element I added each time. The end design would not really look much like what I started with.

Saying “unlimited revisions” means revisions without limits.

Customer support seems to see it that way.

You can’t tell a customer when they ask for a revision or change that you didn’t REALLY mean “unlimited”.

I see, to me, it means an unlimited number of revisions of something that was included, not revisions without limits, like if I bought a drawing and specified in my initial requirements (which buyers are required by Fiverr to confirm they have provided completely and that later changes may require additional payment during the ordering process) that I want a person wearing trousers, I might ask for a different colour or cut of the trousers if revisions were included,

though would be even hesitant with that unless I had asked for something specific and they hadn’t done it, like I asked for long trousers and they did short ones,

But I’d never get the idea of asking for a skirt as a revision.

If I suddenly thought I rather want a skirt, I’d at least ask if that counts as a revision or if the seller would do that change as an extra which I’d pay for.

But perhaps support counts every change a buyer might want as a revision, I don’t know, luckily I didn’t have to argue about revisions with them so far.

I see, to me, it means an unlimited number of revisions of something that was included, not revisions without limits, like if I bought a drawing and specified in my initial requirements (which buyers are required by Fiverr to confirm they have provided completely and that later changes may require additional payment during the ordering process) that I want a person wearing trousers, I might ask for a different colour or cut of the trousers if revisions were included,

though would be even hesitant with that unless I had asked for something specific and they hadn’t done it, like I asked for long trousers and they did short ones,

But I’d never get the idea of asking for a skirt as a revision.

If I suddenly thought I rather want a skirt, I’d at least ask if that counts as a revision or if the seller would do that change as an extra which I’d pay for.

But perhaps support counts every change a buyer might want as a revision, I don’t know, luckily I didn’t have to argue about revisions with them so far.

perhaps support counts every change a buyer might want as a revision,

I think they do from what I’ve seen of people being given refunds when they refuse to do a revision.

It would be a battle, an argument each time, to do otherwise. A three way battle:

seller, buyer and customer support all arguing over exactly what “unlimited revisions” means.

As a buyer I would assume it would mean I could change anything in any way at any time.

If sellers don’t want to do that all they have to do is not say it.

That would be a real pity then, I hope I won’t find out it is the case myself.

I don’t think it would be a battle, it shouldn’t be too hard to establish a few rules, as they apparently do with other things too.

They did tell people they have criteria to decide whether to let a cancellation count against our order completion rate or not, for example, no battle, just criteria to decide.

But anyway, as I already said, I absolutely would advise against “unlimited cancellations”, also “money back guarantee”, “satisfaction guarantee” and all that stuff that you sometimes see on gigs.

That would be a real pity then, I hope I won’t find out it is the case myself.

I don’t think it would be a battle, it shouldn’t be too hard to establish a few rules, as they apparently do with other things too.

They did tell people they have criteria to decide whether to let a cancellation count against our order completion rate or not, for example, no battle, just criteria to decide.

But anyway, as I already said, I absolutely would advise against “unlimited cancellations”, also “money back guarantee”, “satisfaction guarantee” and all that stuff that you sometimes see on gigs.

So in a design of a building suppose I want a different color. That’s a revision. Suppose I want to add on a room. Is that a revision or a new design? A totally different roof line? More doors? A L shaped design instead of a T shaped one? I mean the changes are impossible to categorize as a revision or a new design.

Revision can mean anything new:

• revised edition or form of something.

A revision could mean taking an L shaped building, adding a second story andmaking it into a T shaped building with a new roof line, twice as many doors, and windows a different size and shape.

It can mean different things in dictionaries and circumstances for sure, but it needs to be interpreted in a practical way in an environment like this.
There may be borderline cases, like with cancellations too, but many decisions would be easy to justify with common sense.
I can’t order a gig with a drawing of 2 bedrooms and after delivery require 3 bedrooms, unless perhaps the seller actively states they’ll make any kind of changes to the order.

But if you say you observed that support sees it like that, that’s possible, I can’t argue that, all I can argue is that I see it as unfair/dishonest to require some kinds of things being done as “revisions”.

It can mean different things in dictionaries and circumstances for sure, but it needs to be interpreted in a practical way in an environment like this.

There may be borderline cases, like with cancellations too, but many decisions would be easy to justify with common sense.

I can’t order a gig with a drawing of 2 bedrooms and after delivery require 3 bedrooms, unless perhaps the seller actively states they’ll make any kind of changes to the order.

But if you say you observed that support sees it like that, that’s possible, I can’t argue that, all I can argue is that I see it as unfair/dishonest to require some kinds of things being done as “revisions”.

the seller actively states they’ll make any kind of changes to the order.

That’s what unlimited revisions means, no limits on them. No one forces a seller to offer that. Customer support doesn’t try to decipher the difference between an acceptable unlimited revision and an unacceptable one.

Like many things, I think it depends on the CS person who is involved. In the context of buying and selling on Fiverr, a revision is supposed to mean slight changes or adjustments to the original delivery. Outside of Fiverr, it could mean anything at all. So an experienced CS person would probably know not to cancel but a less knowledgeable CS person may cancel it - especially if the buyer knows what they are doing in how they word it.

Personally, I think for 99% of orders, if there is more than 3 or 4 revisions then either the buyer or seller (or both) is doing something really wrong.

the seller actively states they’ll make any kind of changes to the order.

That’s what unlimited revisions means, no limits on them. No one forces a seller to offer that. Customer support doesn’t try to decipher the difference between an acceptable unlimited revision and an unacceptable one.

No, it’s not, revisions is not the same as changes but let’s agree to disagree.

Like many things, I think it depends on the CS person who is involved. In the context of buying and selling on Fiverr, a revision is supposed to mean slight changes or adjustments to the original delivery.

That’s about my impression too.

It’s something misleading when a buyer thinks he can change things and finds out he actually can’t. Nothing stops a seller from saying 2 revisions, or not offering them at all.

Well, I don’t offer any (and do revisions at my discretion, as my personal interpretation is that I’ll do changes if I made mistakes that are my fault, or if I should have been clearer about something and such, like I’ll do revisions if I made a typo, of course, but I won’t translate file B after I delivered the translation of file A which the buyer had sent on the requirements page, or 10 chapters of a story while they ordered and paid for 7, that’s not revisions, that’s rudeness), but as Fiverr does provide the dropdown to offer them, plus a revision button that buyers can even use if you don’t offer any revisions, they should also have guidelines in place to decide what counts as revision and what not, if needed.

Of course, those things are differently easy or difficult to decide, depending on category, still, in many many cases that we read about here and that I know, it would be an easy call to define something as additional work vs. revision, and not a battle.

Well. In any case, people, do not offer unlimited revisions, it’s simply not a good idea.

To be honest you should leave the extra charge (if it was a little task 10-15 of minutes). I often do little works for free for my regular clients. & most of them always give me tip for additional works i did for them. Business, it’s not all about money bro. We all should try to make a good relationship with our clients 🙂

To be honest you should leave the extra charge (if it was a little task 10-15 of minutes).

The OP said it would take 5 to 6 hours to complete the task. 😖

I think the word revision could be used to justify any type of change to the original at any time. It doesn’t sound fair but that’s really the only way that it could be used without it becoming a battle every time this happens, and it happens constantly.

I’ve had designs done where it was evolving as we went along and each time it was a revision, but it was some new element I added each time. The end design would not really look much like what I started with.

Saying “unlimited revisions” means revisions without limits.

Customer support seems to see it that way.

You can’t tell a customer when they ask for a revision or change that you didn’t REALLY mean “unlimited”.

Hi there,

For a very good repeat buyer especially when they always give tips before, personally i won’t mind doing small extra job. Their previous tips can be count as deposit for this kind of extra job payment? and mostly, my buyer will add huge tips for this extra job without asked.

but incase we need ask extra fee, i think it’s better with "Can i get extra $$$ for this job…, because … " . Explain that this job is not as simple as buyer think. Let buyer decide…

If buyer wont pay extra, (and you have unlimited revisions service), you should do the extra

Because Buyer think that this Extra Job is part of the unlimited revisions,

Just my two cents,

Best regards,

Hi there,

For a very good repeat buyer especially when they always give tips before, personally i won’t mind doing small extra job. Their previous tips can be count as deposit for this kind of extra job payment? and mostly, my buyer will add huge tips for this extra job without asked.

but incase we need ask extra fee, i think it’s better with "Can i get extra $$$ for this job…, because … " . Explain that this job is not as simple as buyer think. Let buyer decide…

If buyer wont pay extra, (and you have unlimited revisions service), you should do the extra

Just my two cents,

Best regards,

I agree, he might have only purchased this particular gig due to seeing that “unlimited revisions” message.

To be honest you should leave the extra charge (if it was a little task 10-15 of minutes). I often do little works for free for my regular clients. & most of them always give me tip for additional works i did for them. Business, it’s not all about money bro. We all should try to make a good relationship with our clients 🙂

Thanks, everyone for the inputs. I have contacted CS just in case. They asked me to give details of what I have done and what additional works they have requested. After providing the information they have sent me the below message and the 3* feedback has been removed.

Capture.JPG.ebf024d963039541786be742ebb9883e.JPG

I did mention the work would require 5/6 hours not just 10/15 mins. Even so, we are not working for tips here. As @markusvoice said we are doing business not charity.

The phrase “unlimited revisions” sounds like they can change anything they want on the original design after you do it.

I am willing to do changes in the original requirements. If you see my gig, I am not designing new things but remaking the submitted images they provide in high-resolutions. Most of the time my work is done in 1/2 revisions.

I strongly suggest not putting that in your gig description unless you are willing to make any type of revision at any time.

I put unlimited on that particular gig since there’s little room for changes and such. In my other 2 gigs, the revisions are limited. However, I have had a revisions request again where the number of revision provided was 3. I contacted the support regarding that and they have told me, I will have to do the revision until they are satisfied or they have the right to cancel. I think it falls on the original requirements they have submitted and if they are getting what they originally wanted in their requirements. CS knows the best.

To be frank, if this buyer was giving you regular work, I would have done the extra at no cost, because he would appreciate it and keep coming back. Maybe you reach out and apologize and offer him a free or discounted work to get him back.

well well… i wouldn’t do any job or job extra that is not convenient or not profitable for me…be it new or returning buyer.

but then, fiverr is a world of the buyers.

Hi there,

Just my two cents,

Best regards,

You should never do work unless you have a contract that covers that scope. You have no protection in any way when you do extra work for tips.

Plus, if you’re doing extra work, the cost of labour overrides the tip. Then it’s not a tip, it’s pressure to do extra work for free.

Tips are payment on top of labour compensation, not in replacement of it.

Archived