First 6 months on Fiverr

liverpoolmusic

I just noticed that I’ve completed my first 6 months on Fiverr today, and it’s been so incredible I thought I should write a bit about it.

Hopefully I can offer a few tips for sellers who are just starting, and pick up a few from more experienced sellers as well!

As a bit of background, I am currently doing Fiverr in all my evenings and weekends and 1 full day a week. The rest of the time I have another job. It’s pretty much taking up all my spare time at the moment, but I love it and my aim is to move up another level on Fiverr at some point in 2014 and then hopefully turn it full time by the beginning of 2015.

Here’s a few tips that I’ve found really useful as a seller (I’m sure other people have mentioned these as well but it might help to have another perspective of someone who’s recently put them into practice as a new seller!)

1. Communication -

This is the key thing for me and I always get good feedback on it so I know my customers really appreciate it. Firstly, because of the nature of my gigs, I ask people to get in touch first so we can both be sure of what we’re expecting from the gig and also negotiate a fair price, and sometimes time-frame. I don’t like to sell the gig until I feel we’re both clear about it. I find that not only does this make it better for me, as when I’m doing the work I can be more efficient because I know exactly what the seller wants, but also it means I get less problems from buyers rejecting orders or not being happy with my work, which can get messy and leaves both parties un-satisfied.

On top of this I think people really appreciate speedy responses and clear language. I actually have my Fiverr notifications sent to my email account which alerts me on my phone every time I have a Fiverr message. Although this can be annoying for my wife (!) it means I can quickly respond when potential buyers can in touch with a query, and even if I can’t go into great detail in that first message, I have at least acknowledged their interest and got the buyer/seller relationship off on the right foot.

I also created some help-sheets that explain the processes of how my gigs work, which I send to potential buyers,

rather than having too much information on the initial gig page. This seems to work really well and avoids me having to answer the same questions for each inquiry and takes the buyer through the process in a clear, practical manner.

Once they have ordered I keep them up to date with how it’s going and send them any queries that pop up while I’m doing the work for them. Again, this really cuts down on any rejections when it’s delivered.

Finally, when they do leave feedback, I always respond to it publicly and detail the work I did in a short sentence so that other potential buyers can get an impression from my feedback of the wide-range of work I can do and so that the customer knows how much I appreciate their custom and feedback.

2. Presenting the gigs themselves -

This is reasonably simple, but the more coherent your marketing is, the clearer the message is to any buyers. I made sure that my username, photos and the language I use in my gig descriptions are all very specific to the services I offer. It’s much more effective than a random username and some non-personal images plucked from google.

Before I launched, I also spent some money to get some professional photos done and I rotate them occasionally on my gigs to keep things fresh. It also means that all my gigs have the same look, and a clear professional photo (including you, the seller, and particularly a head shot) personalises the experience for the buyer so they can have a clear idea of the person they are dealing with and the environment they are working in. I’m sure this applies to paying a little bit for proper lighting/background and doing a professional-looking video as well. I have also created one video from these still photos for one of my gigs, with my own voice over on it. This seems to be working well and I plan to do it for some of the others when I have time in the next few weeks.

It’s worth spending a little money at the beginning if you can to stand out, you’ll end up making it back and more on top!

3. Be Flexible -

Every buyer is different. And even though you must treat them all with the same politeness and courtesy you should also treat them all as individuals. If you make a connection with them, it’s better for both parties. Because of the nature of my gigs, people always want things done slightly differently. So I am very flexible with my working techniques and practices.

I very rarely so no to anything a customer is asking for, unless it’s unrealistic for the price of the gig or if it is totally outside my skill-set. This takes a lot longer than treating every customer the same and churning out the gigs, but I think that in the long run (6 months!) it pays off as I am starting to get a lot of repeat custom because I provide such a personalised and tailored service.

Customers are often quite shocked with the amount of work I’ve put into gigs, but because I love what I do I don’t mind. It is also so satisfying to receive feedback from people saying you have strongly affected them with your work, Compared to most jobs I have done in life where you rarely feel like you are helping or bonding with people, it is hugely rewarding. I also love talking and working with people from all over the world!

I hope those are helpful for people! It’s been such a busy few months for me, I know there’s a lot I still need to work on to get the most out of Fiverr. I really need to work on my SEO ,social media presence and finding the right forums to advertise my gigs in, so that I get even more people checking out my gigs. I need to create a couple more videos, and I need to get a better conversion rate on one of my gigs, but apart from that I am very happy! Any tips on those aspects would be hugely appreciated.

I think the back-end of Fiverr works really well as a seller and it’s great to be able to see the data so you can analyse how your gigs are working, and I’ve only actually had to contact customer support a couple of times and they’ve been really quick and helpful both times.

I tell everyone I know about Fiverr now, it really has changed my life, and I hope it can change yours too!

• 10 months later...

Archived