Don't ever trust ratings (nor rely on Fiverr support)

deeve007

Realised two things with a recent gig:

1. Sellers will usually offer to cancel gig once they know you’re not happy and will likely leave negative feedback, and most buyers would prefer their money back than warn others about a seller’s honesty, if that is the issue.

2. Fiverr support (Fiverr owners I guess) really have no interest in the quality or truth of the gigs being offered, only of their profits continuing. Why else would they continually advise if unhappy with a seller to cancel, rather than being able to mark gig as complete so you can leave legitimate feedback?

I do realise it’s “only” $5 (though hence why I preferred to “lose” my $5 and post feedback that may help others avoid the seller), but Fiverr really should have more concerns of the honesty of the gigs being offered, and the situation that makes it simple for a seller to cancel a gig to avoid negative feedback, and thereby making ratings basically meaningless, which unfortunately a new buyer may not be aware of.

deeve007 said: Realised two things with a recent gig:

1) Sellers will usually offer to cancel gig once they know you're not happy and will likely leave negative feedback, and most buyers would prefer their money back than warn others about a seller's honesty, if that is the issue.

This is such a strange position. Let me ask you a question; What would you WANT a seller to do when you don't like their work?

You don't want to be made whole?

Further, you seem to be equating "liking their work" with "honesty". I can honestly deliver what was offered and you could not like it. No product is perfect for everyone, but that doesn't make the vendor a liar. For example, I don't like fast food because I'm a vegetarian. But that doesn't mean they're dishonest, right? It also doesn't make them unsuccessful. Finally, if I ordered a BK Veggie and got a BK double ..I'd take it to them, and want to have what I want delivered.

That is, I'd ask for "Revision" ...I wouldn't ant to walk around the store with my thumbs down :)

deeve007 said:2) Fiverr support (Fiverr owners I guess) really have no interest in the quality or truth of the gigs being offered, only of their profits continuing. Why else would they continually advise if unhappy with a seller to cancel, rather than being able to mark gig as complete so you can leave legitimate feedback?

You guess wrong. (By the way, does guessing wrong make you dishonest?)

The support folk are inhouse employees. They may or may not have some stock deal or incentives; however, they're not "owners" at all or of any consequence.

To answer your question, *IF* you've gotten that feedback, it's because you went to customer service. They didn't "seek you out" for that unsolicited. And that means, you seemed to be complaining.

They also know, how deeply it impacts sellers to get harsh, unnecessary negative feedback. They get lots of requests to review feedback, so from a pure self-interest standpoint, they probably wanted to avoid a future problem for THEM.

Finally, in closing WATCH THESE to understand more

and

This is such a strange position. Let me ask you a question; What would you WANT a seller to do when you don't like their work?

In this situation I would like to make other potential buyers aware of the misleading nature of the gig description. That's only strange to you if you care more about your $5 than ensuring others are fully informed. I care more of the latter than the former.

I'll give you this specific example: Seller promised to deliver "real" organic traffic from Google. Turned out it was bot traffic, not real users at all. This wouldn't be obvious to non-technical buyers, but as a web programmer it was pretty easy to work out. As soon as seller was aware that I was aware of this, he only wanted to cancel. I didn't ask for anything extra, I only (mistakingly) commented to him on it being bot rather than real traffic. I wanted him to mark as delivered so I could inform others of this misleading description of his gig.

Fiverr support didn't care, they said they would ensure buyers were aware, but nothing's changed on the job description. All they care about is making their money, not on the accuracy of gig descriptions.

So for this situation, I would certainly prefer other buyers to be made aware of the misleading description rather than just get my $5 back. I do care about others funny enough, and certainly more than just $5.

I want balanced feedback and ratings. This (and other similar) example has indicated that ratings are basically worthless in gauging the quality of a gig. New buyers unfortunately will not be aware of this, so I'll be finding ways to spread the word where I can.

And if you actually are a "good" seller that delivers a quality service, then you should be just as concerned about this issue as a bad experience for buyers with one or a few sellers will taint all of you. You should want feedback and ratings to be as accurate as buyers. Unless of course you're happy to have false high ratings for some sellers.

Reply to @deeve007: oh, I see. I think where other commenters got “derailed” has to do with your first paragraph. You are trying to deal with the dishonesty of the seller but the way the first half of it is worded seems like you’re trying to deal with unhappiness. Unhappiness with the final product and dishonesty can be but are not necessarily the same issue. In your case, it is one and the same.

That seller gives the rest of us a very bad name. Most sellers want to make things right by either offering a refund or a revision. It is completely normal to want to avoid negative feedback. There is nothing deceptive about that. What is abnormal is a scammer canceling before you can accurately rate the service. He wasn’t trying to make you whole, he was covering up his scam. I am sorry you experienced this. Please know that most sellers aren’t like this. 🙂

Sorry you are not please with your gig, but one bad experience does not speak for the Fiverr seller community as a whole.

I am both a buyer and seller, and find that (like in everything in life) there are of course some bad apples in the bunch–but the overwhelming majority of sellers are honest, hardworking individuals.

Reply to @deeve007:

I now understand you. I did misunderstand.

I don’t know how to make the position of righteousness work. Because one personal honest effort and best intention is another person’s scam.

I had one person call me a scammer because I offered things for more than $5. They insisted that I was clearly out of my mind because this is “Fiverr”… That Fiverr is the platform that ALLOWS me to sell some services as gig extras didn’t seem to matter to this seller.

That the founder of Fiverr says it’s the largest marketplaces for services STARTING at $5 didn’t seem to matter.

It was a problem with me.

That I personally agree with you…and that I would NEVER buy traffic gigs for reasons like this, hits me deeply in empathy. I am honored you would sacrifice your $5 for that chance to save a fellow buyer.

I just don’t know how to prevent the slippery slope.

Its so annoying when sellers are begging to cancel and remove a negative feedback.

Ive had sellers spamming me with messages of begging and crying to “pls sir remove the neg feed” followed by their offer to cancel.

Well if you would rather cancel than get a negative feedback, then say so in your gig, so that it is clear what your ratings mean. Just say “money back if not satisfied”.

Look, I know you did your best, but the negative feedback exists for a reason.

Another option is just to remove the possibility of negative feedback for the sellers that dont want that, without option of cancellation - a setting in fiverr for gigs.

You can take 1) as a MONEY BACK GUARANTEE , the fact that you are not happy about the result it’s doesn’t mean that you have to destroy the seller’s reputation .

I personally offer Refunds on request and i even refunded a buyers who left me with a negative feedback .

And let’s be honest, not all the buyers are honest and there are some who try to put pressure using the feedback subject and using the “system” to ask more than what it’s initially agreed .

To sum up, please try and understand that fiverr is full of sellers because not for all people 4$ is a small amount , maybe someone it’s using it to feed some children .So to avoid loosing your time on your next purchase you could try to send 2-3 messages to the buyer before purchasing the gig , and make a research about your service .

Well this thread has basically confirmed my initial comments. Sellers are very happy with the current feedback/ratings system, which is to be expected as it heavily favours the seller.

A fairer system would be:

1. Buyer buys gig.
  2. Seller accepts buyer gig. At this stage whether the gig is completed or cancelled the buyer can leave feedback.
  3. Gig is either completed or cancelled.
  4. Buyer can leave feedback.
  5. If seller thinks feedback is unfair (ie. feedback does not relate to verifiable communication between buyer and seller), they can have Fiverr support review.

Though as I said, Fiverr don’t seem to care past them raking in the dosh.

At the moment it’s a little like looking on a hotel website and seeing every single hotel rated 4 or 5 stars, it’s completely meaningless. I’m not surprised Fiverr don’t show the ratings on the gig list.

My first two experiences on here were awful. The first promised delivery of 20 days and then still didn’t deliver. When I complained he said he’d deliver in 24 hours and then still didn’t come up with the goods. The second guy started to up the price once I’d placed my order stating that what I wanted was over his basic remit, which it wasn’t. Be careful, there are a LOT of sharks out there.

Reply to @madmoo: I wasn’t buying facebook likes. I was purchasing a service (so I thought) to deliver organic search visitors. Now if this can’t be done for $5, then I have no problem with that, but don’t claim that it can and then send bot traffic.

Oh and you’re all going to love the latest incident with regards to this issue. I noticed that the site involved in this issue suddenly received 1,400 organic search visitors on January 10, up from my usual daily average of around 30. These 1,400 visitors were all for the keywords “scam” and “fraud”, and had an average visit duration of 5 seconds, against the usual average of a little under a minute. Remarkably similar characteristics of the initial bot traffic sent by the seller.

Guest article_real

One should be honest with every seller, once the gig is as true as it states, then its ok but if the gig does not represent the description, then the future buyers should be informed through feedback. this will ensure that the quality of fiverr services are maintained. The issue should be beyond getting your 5 dollars back.

Reply to @anarchofighter: Let me guess, you’re a seller?

I don’t see anything about cancellation rates on any seller’s gig. And you seem to think it fine that a seller would mislead potential buyers. It’s funny, in the “real world” there are laws about companies doing this, but online seems there are many happy to let anyone lie to anyone just to make a buck.

Deeve, I’m a seller as you can see by my super sexy, shiny gold badge. I’m also a buyer.

Deeve, that you don’t see something doesn’t mean it isn’t true. Gig with high cancellations show up on the gig. It’s true.

Deeve, I do NOT think it’s FINE. I think that in a public marketplace like this, it’s a SELF CORRECTING PROBLEM. Where a person isn’t hurt (a cancellation makes you whole) there is no crime.

Now, please go troll someone else.

Reply to @anarchofighter: By most definitions, you’re the troll here mate, jumping into a thread someone else created to comment.

And the issue is not “self correcting” if buyers are not aware of what they’re actually being sold, which in this case many non-technical buyers would not know the difference between real traffic and bot traffic. Hence many who are happy because they’ve got the traffic numbers they were promised, have been sold a lie due to it being bot traffic not real traffic at all. So is being sold a lie a “crime” in your mind, or perfectly acceptable?

Reply to @madmoo: Unfortunately as the replies from others in this thread indicate, other sellers don’t recognise how bad sellers can manipulate the system as you do. And with Fiverr support not caring beyond their $1 cut per sale, the rort will continue.

Hi Deeve,

I’m only a buyer and might at some point offer a gig or two if I see a nitch to fill. You’re pointing out a gaping whole with possible service of really good value if you think about it. Why not offer a gig confirmation of the type of gig you were wanting to buy…if it’s something easily done relatively with know how? You yourself could/will be the check for this particular area organic traffic.

Just a thought…what’s yours?

Todd

Reply to @deeve007: You’re selfrighteous and smug and take no correction, do you?

From Wikipedia. In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally[3][4] or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[5] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[6]

This sense of the word troll and its associated verb trolling are associated with Internet discourse, but have been used more widely. Media attention in recent years has equated trolling with online harassment. For example, mass media has used troll to describe “a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families.”[7][8]

You’re the only one here who is making things up and imagining that you know things that you cannot possibly know. What is being a troll is your consistent righteousness and inflexibility.

You keep assuming this worse and lacking a long term vision.

I’m not repeating myself here. Reread the post. Understand the law of large numbers. Crap will be canceled by many buyers. Gigs with many cancellations will flagged for buyers to see. And it will impact the seller’s levels and rating.

Your whole premise is shot by that. If you don’t like being a buyer on fiver, leave. It’s not that hard, we’ll hardly miss you.

deeve007 said: Though as this thread is also showing, buyers don't hang around here only sellers, so to other channels to spread the word is must be...

Once again with you and your egotistical overreach.

You don't know ANYTHING about fiverr from this thread.

And many of we "sellers" have buyers who have bought from us for YEARS (so they're staying to) You don't know anything, by your own admission you had a couple of purchases for the most obviously "buyer beware" type services--bought traffic.

It's a little like you came to the "Silk Road" for uncut drugs and low and behold found out the drug dealers lie :) LOL

Archived