Have You Ever Left A Buyer A Bad Review?

janet_louise

Fiverr has made sure you can't be honest in your review of your buyer unless you're incredibly brave. Buyers are able to punish us for giving them a negative public review through their private feedback, so I never give buyers a negative review.

I suspect our reviews of buyers are just another way of making them feel good about themselves as they get to enjoy the feeling of receiving a 5-star review without having to do anything but send a few messages and press a couple of buttons.

Edited by vibronx
  • Like 17
  • Sad 4
  • Up 6

I always try to give my honest review as it makes the Fiverr community strong. I remember I gave my client a 3-star rating because he was so confused and did not even know what exactly he wanted to have. but then the same client gave me 5 stars because I handled him appropriately. In conclusion, let's be honest at least with yourself 🙂

• Like 18
  • Up 3

On 12/6/2022 at 9:21 PM, lawan21 said:

Wow...so sellers were not honest up to this moment ?😁

It's not dishonesty. It's better seen as omission from fear 🫠.

On 12/6/2022 at 2:51 AM, vickieito said:

I'm one of the lucky Seller Plus sellers that have the Request to Order feature on all of my gigs. No one can order from me unless they contact me first. This helps a lot of the misunderstandings that happened when someone would just order straight from my gig page.

For those who don't have Request to Order, they should take advantage of the new Cancelation policy because sellers can now cancel orders and reissue new orders with new requirements that both seller and buyer can agree on without it hurting their order completion rate.

I think Fiverr is leaning more towards these types of feature updates rather than helping sellers leave more truthful reviews on their buyers.

I have the feature as well. I am being cautious to use it cause I've had a number of cool buyers who simply just ordered. I already have my orders coming slower than they used to. I have done all the necessary upgrades and even spoken to a success manager. I am hopeful that just being honest and doing a great job will be sufficient to bring the best buyers to me. 

On 12/6/2022 at 10:06 PM, moikchap said:

If a depiction of a seller has good lighting, good framing, good posture, good clothes, and good backdrop; my gut says its a stock photo rather than the actual seller. I start to feel like it's a trick. If I see "a picture only a mother would Like" then it feel more like the seller must feel like that's their only option because it's the only good picture of themselves they have.

There's a marketing thing along those lines, which I forget the name for; if you lead with admitting a flaw, everything else afterward becomes more believable. Like, Dr Buckley's Cough Syrup increased its market share by advertising with the slogan "It tastes bad, but it works." Avis did a similar thing revolving around the idea that they're only the second best-selling car rental company, so they have to do better to be worth it, and increased market share.

From what I understand, japanese commercials are "weird" due to something along those lines where "hard sell" comes across as being a deceptive distraction, so you have to use soft sell techniques to demonstrate confidence in your product. There's a lot of little counter-intuitive things like that for different buyers across different cultures. I think most sellers do talk about making specialized gigs that appeal to thin spectrums of clients. That sort of thing may be another factor to consider, research, and plan for. I don't think I've seen much discussion of it, but I'm not around as much as most.

I agree these techniques could in the long-run help to improve market acceptance. Only a few buyers are looking for absolutely perfect sellers. 

On 12/7/2022 at 3:49 AM, seoranks1 said:

If you think that Buyer is not good for your business just block it , they will never find your profile on fiverr.

Thanks for sharing this as well. 

• Like 18

• 2 months later...

I had a bad experience with a buyer who communicates very little, sends an image with no description, replies only with the word "refund" when i suggested i had to charge him a bit extra for the bad base image he provided "IF" he doesn't mind, and goes straight to sending a cancellation request.

i know it will hurt my ratings, so i decided to work within his budget and deliver, but he revisioned it saying it was the same image sent back which is not true, had to deliver again with a zoomed-in comparison image, he revisioned it again saying "something is wrong with the eyes" when asked for more clarification he doesn't reply for hours so i had to go back and remake everything from scratch due to the lack of proper feedback, he finally accepts it.

i was very sure I'm going to get a negative review saying i tried to scam him for extra money and i did half-assed work and such, so i wrote a detailed review of him detailing what happened with a more professional tone and submitted it, and to my surprise, he gave me a five start review with a “Thank You” comment. i feel bad now 😞

let me know your thoughts on this please!

• Like 13
  • Sad 5

7 minutes ago, jonastaylee said:

i was very sure I'm going to get a negative review saying i tried to scam him for extra money and i did half-assed work and such, so i wrote a detailed review of him detailing what happened with a more professional tone and submitted it, and to my surprise, he gave me a five start review with a “Thank You” comment. i feel bad now 

😞

I had the same experience too this year. 

Instead of giving less than 4 stars, I just did not give any review. I don't want to be the first person who give the bad review.

Edited by michmikaia
  • Like 19

Just now, michmikaia said:

I had the same experience too this year. 

Instead of giving less than 4 stars, I just did not gave any review. I don't want to be the first person who give the bad review.

yes you're absolutely right! i never review any of my buyers less than 5 stars, i appreciate their business despite their trouble.

I wasn't going to leave a review back at all, despite my "not so good" experience, but i've read in this forum if you don't leave your review after the buyer reviews you, after 10 days it will show up on your profile anyway, that's the only reason i did, and i thought i should give my side of the story, but now you're making me doubt this fact 😅

• Like 16

2 minutes ago, jonastaylee said:

I wasn't going to leave a review back at all, despite my "not so good" experience, but i've read in this forum if you don't leave your review after the buyer reviews you, after 10 days it will show up on your profile anyway, that's the only reason i did, and i thought i should give my side of the story, but now you're making me doubt this fact 

It's quite hard to face this situation. Anyway it's totally up to us. 

Personally, whatever feedback I got, if I felt a bad relatioship during project, and tend to give less than 5 star, it's better not to give. So 0 or 5. Before that order, I got my first 4.7 star which was very surprising to me due to my help and very quick turnaround to the project. 

Anyway, let's say that's part of our challenge. 

Good luck. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, michmikaia said:

It's quite hard to face this situation. Anyway it's totally up to us. 

Personally, whatever feedback I got, if I felt a bad relatioship during project, and tend to give less than 5 star, it's better not to give. So 0 or 5. Before that order, I got my first 4.7 star which was very surprising to me due to my help and very quick turnaround to the project. 

Anyway, let's say that's part of our challenge. 

Good luck. 

Yup, i'll go above and beyond just to have the buyer happy to give a 5star review, i was also surprised when 2 buyers gave me 4 stars despite my work being high value and the communication was great.

But this buyer seemed very strange and rude, i was SURE i'm getting a bad review, scoured the forum for advice and read the experiences of the sellers who got a 1star review, i even googled a rating calculator and found out that to offset a 1star review you should have 800,000 5star reviews 😐 so i decided not to review.

The only reason i changed my mind is when i found out reviews go public after 10 days, even if i didn't give mine. i still have to fact-check this after what you've told me.

Well thank you michmikaia for the reply, i appreciate your take on this, like you said it's just part of the job and i have to live with it.

• Like 15
  • Confused 2

On 11/28/2019 at 12:08 AM, janet_louise said:

I’m just curious. I feel as sellers, we often feel obligated to leave 5 Stars even if the experience with the buyer hasn’t been great.

Personally, it's 0 or 5 stars. I mean, I do not give feedback to buyers if I have a bad experience with. It means also, I will not work with that buyers in the future.

These kind of situation, as seller, make us feel down and demotivated. But it should not take too long. We should learn also something from that experience. 

• Like 13
  • Congrats! 1

On 2/24/2023 at 5:09 PM, jonastaylee said:

Yup, i'll go above and beyond just to have the buyer happy to give a 5star review, i was also surprised when 2 buyers gave me 4 stars despite my work being high value and the communication was great.

But this buyer seemed very strange and rude, i was SURE i'm getting a bad review, scoured the forum for advice and read the experiences of the sellers who got a 1star review, i even googled a rating calculator and found out that to offset a 1star review you should have 800,000 5star reviews 😐 so i decided not to review.

The only reason i changed my mind is when i found out reviews go public after 10 days, even if i didn't give mine. i still have to fact-check this after what you've told me.

Well thank you michmikaia for the reply, i appreciate your take on this, like you said it's just part of the job and i have to live with it.

Excellent bro, but help some other seller....

• Like 10
  • Congrats! 2

I won't martyr myself for other freelancers as they have next card to punish us by private reviews (like vibronx mentioned). I guess sellers should have right to write private reviews as well.

But I won't work with buyer either next time. I would say something "I'm overbooked" or "beyond my scope" etc.

If still they insist, I will send them offer more than height (5x or 10x). 😅

• Like 8