[Poll] How do you feel about the like button?

miiila

poll  

44 members have voted

1. 1. poll

• Thumbsup /images/emoji/twitter/+1.png?v=9
    • Thumbsdown /images/emoji/twitter/-1.png?v=9
    • Not Sure /images/emoji/twitter/thinking.png?v=9

What if users were given the option of whether they see just the like button at the end of posts or whether they want some of the other buttons (like “thanks”, “I agree”, etc.). Maybe there could be a few sets of buttons the user could select from so people who don’t want to have to select from quite a few can just see and use the “like” button. eg. in the preferences section you could choose from about 3 different sets of buttons and it would show the selected set of buttons at the end of each post so you could choose one or maybe more.

Maybe the users could also have the option of whether or not to see other people’s likes on each post and maybe there could be the option for it to convert things like “thanks” (by other users) so it showed as “like” on the screens of those users who wanted it to.

That sounds a bit complicated technically, you’d also need to give people then the option of whether others would see just likes or that whole button array on their posts, and what if someone would choose to use those buttons on others’ posts but disallowed the use of them on their own posts, seems … “warped”, and also kind of counter intuitive for a forum, to have different sets of button options?
Originally, see the etymology, a forum is a place to discuss, I’d say most forums actually are both that, plus social media too, and different sets of buttons and such seem not “social” to me, and dislike, roll-eyes, etc. buttons could even lead to a place giving off rather anti-social vibes?

(Still “testing” to not like any posts here, by the way, even if I do like most of them :P), it’s interesting how hard it is.)

People were getting the dislike button more than the like button and as soon as I would post anything at all one particular person, no names mentioned, would immediately give every post of mine the dislike button no matter what it was about. He did that to everyone actually and had to be blocked from using the forum. So you do get some problems with that sometimes. I think it’s a really bad idea and even Amazon did away with them.

I don’t think giving people the ability to ruin someone’s mood with the push of a button is a good thing. I was relieved when that button went away.

I’m happy Amazon got rid of it.

So, this forum used to have a upvote and downvote system. I didn’t know that. 😯

The person who did that to you smh tsk, tsk, tsk.

These buttons turn into a popularity contest.

I don’t think giving people the ability to ruin someone’s mood with the push of a button is a good thing. I was relieved when that button went away.

+1 🖤

This is why social media is crazy, it’s all about numbers. The likes, the up votes, the thumbs up, etc.

That sounds a bit complicated technically, you’d also need to give people then the option of whether others would see just likes or that whole button array on their posts, and what if someone would choose to use those buttons on others’ posts but disallowed the use of them on their own posts, seems … “warped”, and also kind of counter intuitive for a forum, to have different sets of button options?

Originally, see the etymology, a forum is a place to discuss, I’d say most forums actually are both that, plus social media too, and different sets of buttons and such seem not “social” to me, and dislike, roll-eyes, etc. buttons could even lead to a place giving off rather anti-social vibes?

(Still “testing” to not like any posts here, by the way, even if I do like most of them :P), it’s interesting how hard it is.)

Yikes! I guess this was before 2017 that’s when I joined the forum.

and also kind of counter intuitive for a forum, to have different sets of button options

It’s could be like auto-translation or showing them/allowing inputs & outputs to the precision the user wants.

eg. some users could want a brief, binary answer (or no answer) for likes shown (and input from their screen) and others might want a more precise option to respond and view the results (eg. did someone agree or just thought it was interesting or were they thanking them for the post).

So for users who just want to see a like button and likes it would convert everyone’s “thanks”, “I agree” votes and show it as “likes” on the users’s screen who wanted that (so they’d never see “thanks” etc. on the normal part of the forum, just the like button and a counts of likes).

It’s a bit like the forum is doing a translation of what the user types to and that is shown on the other user’s screen in whatever format (like if someone types and always sees the results in language X even though another user has typed it in other languages), or decreasing precision where wanted to show an overall view instead of a more precise set of results.

and also kind of counter intuitive for a forum, to have different sets of button options

It’s could be like auto-translation or showing them/allowing inputs & outputs to the precision the user wants.

eg. some users could want a brief, binary answer (or no answer) for likes shown (and input from their screen) and others might want a more precise option to respond and view the results (eg. did someone agree or just thought it was interesting or were they thanking them for the post).

So for users who just want to see a like button and likes it would convert everyone’s “thanks”, “I agree” votes and show it as “likes” on the users’s screen who wanted that (so they’d never see “thanks” etc. on the normal part of the forum, just the like button and a counts of likes).

It’s a bit like the forum is doing a translation of what the user types to and that is shown on the other user’s screen in whatever format (like if someone types and always sees the results in language X even though another user has typed it in other languages), or decreasing precision where wanted to show an overall view instead of a more precise set of results.

Yes, I can imagine that the thought is somewhat disquieting for many people who “have to do with likes” professionally.

I guess the focus then will have to be to get people to interact in a different way, by commenting as in typing words instead of clicking a button? (which certainly forms a higher barrier for many people, as it takes time and needs thought, respectively they need to “put themselves out there” more with that than by clicking a like button)

And I thought OP is talking about the Instagram Like Removal. My Bad I didn’t read the full post.

No, no, that’s fine, I was expressly welcoming any discussion about the Insta likes and anything else related too! Just the poll is for the Fiverr forum likes 🙂

It’s could be like

I see what you mean, I have no idea how complex and complicated all that is, and you need to also “tell users” about all those options they can choose, respectively many won’t ever know, just like many don’t know that you can mute categories. It just seems to complicate things. The forum I know that has those, don’t know, 7? symbols instead 1 like button, also has some kind of “status indicator” below the username … and I think one more “feature” I can’t remember right now, and I don’t have the feeling it makes anything better, rather the contrary.

Personally, the like button is enough for me, and can be nice, I’m more debating with myself whether no like button wouldn’t be better, all in all. It probably would lead to less use of social media, I’m rather sure of that (if that would be good or not, is an altogether different if related debate ;)), but I’m curious to see what Instagram will find out and will do about their findings.

Yes, I can imagine that the thought is somewhat disquieting for many people who “have to do with likes” professionally.

I guess the focus then will have to be to get people to interact in a different way, by commenting as in typing words instead of clicking a button? (which certainly forms a higher barrier for many people, as it takes time and needs thought, respectively they need to “put themselves out there” more with that than by clicking a like button)

And I thought OP is talking about the Instagram Like Removal. My Bad I didn’t read the full post.

No, no, that’s fine, I was expressly welcoming any discussion about the Insta likes and anything else related too! Just the poll is for the Fiverr forum likes 🙂

It’s could be like

I see what you mean, I have no idea how complex and complicated all that is, and you need to also “tell users” about all those options they can choose, respectively many won’t ever know, just like many don’t know that you can mute categories. It just seems to complicate things. The forum I know that has those, don’t know, 7? symbols instead 1 like button, also has some kind of “status indicator” below the username … and I think one more “feature” I can’t remember right now, and I don’t have the feeling it makes anything better, rather the contrary.

Personally, the like button is enough for me, and can be nice, I’m more debating with myself whether no like button wouldn’t be better, all in all. It probably would lead to less use of social media, I’m rather sure of that (if that would be good or not, is an altogether different if related debate ;)), but I’m curious to see what Instagram will find out and will do about their findings.

The like button is like a reward for coming to the forum.

Yes, I guess you could call it an extrinsic reward. Like buttons and such certainly have a part in getting people to come back, whether to this forum, or any kind of social media, to, among other things, check if they got likes for their posts … that’s why I’m really interested in the Instagram experiment to “cut back on that”, which seems like a “cut into their own flesh”.

As former FB and Google people have said, social media founders purposefully created something addictive. Those likes are indeed like “rewards” and addictive for many people.

I wouldn’t like buttons like :roll_eyes:.

Taking back likes, I think, could be due to what ahm said, sometimes you might just skim a post and like it because it’s a (forum) friend and you usually agree with them, and you agree with what you read while skimming, but then see a reply to that post and realize there’s something in it which you don’t agree with at all, so you take back your like? At least, I can’t think of any other reason atm.

You know those YT comments “I’m a simple man/woman, I see a video by/of xyz, I like”? Meaning, before I even watched it 😁

Taking back likes, I think, could be due to what ahm said, sometimes you might just skim a post and like it because it’s a (forum) friend and you usually agree with them, and you agree with what you read while skimming, but then see a reply to that post and realize there’s something in it which you don’t agree with at all, so you take back your like? At least, I can’t think of any other reason atm.

I know of another reason that’s not an accident: you like someone’s post, and then that person edits it 20 times or something, says a bunch of things you disagree with during those edits (the ones you manage to see, that is), and the last edit is nothing like the post you liked.

The dislike button is too much like theThe Milgram shock experiments:

Milgram experiment - Wikipedia

shock2

These fake electric shocks gradually increased to levels that would have been fatal had they been real.

Right, that’s a reason too.

experiments

Those experiments were mentioned at least in one of the books I read, you’re certainly not the only person who made a connection there.

Still, most voters and people commenting like the like button. Forum polls of this kind are always a bit skewed because the people who don’t use the forum at all, don’t vote, of course. Can one deduce that they don’t like the forum because of the like button? 😉 Or generally? Or that they generally don’t like any forums/social media? Or that they like other social media so much more that they spend their entire social media time there? Who knows.

I do like the thumbs up 👍

But i also want the thumbs down 👎

i know that it discourage people but it’s also a great way to judge people what kind of personality they have by looking at those thumbs down and ups button

it’s also a great way to judge people

We need to discourage judging people, not encourage it.

At least I don’t like to get negative votes. Maybe other people aren’t as bothered by it. If people don’t like something I say I would like them to say why.

Maybe we need other buttons as well as the “like” button, like “I agree”, “I mostly agree”, “informative”, “Interesting”, “correct”, “not sure if correct”, “thanks” or something.

This is what a game forum has for a game I play. Those options came in handy when players started experiencing issues with the game and rather than post the same topic repeatedly they just selection ‘I Agree’ or ‘Upvote’ to get the devs attention.

Archived