[Poll] How do you feel about the like button?

miiila

poll  

44 members have voted

1. 1. poll

• Thumbsup /images/emoji/twitter/+1.png?v=9
    • Thumbsdown /images/emoji/twitter/-1.png?v=9
    • Not Sure /images/emoji/twitter/thinking.png?v=9

Seeing that Instagram is conducting tests hiding the like button for some users worldwide (in my country since a week or two now), I’m curious to know how you all think about the like button on the Fiverr forum.

Please note that this poll is about the like button on the Fiverr forum, not on Instagram, but if you’d like to discuss the Instagram test, or about like buttons in general, about whether you think an online world without likes would be better or worse, and why, please feel free to.

• I like the like button and hope it will stay
  • I’d rather the like button was gone
  • Dunno

0voters

PS
Results will only be shown on vote, voters are anonymous, and I’ll not vote first, all for the sake of not influencing people 😉

I voted in favour of keeping the button. Liking someone’s post is a fairly quick and polite way of ending a conversation with them.

The button would be better if it was used properly, though. There’s no reason for lots of people to post things like “good post” or “thanks for the advice” when we have a like button.

I voted in favour of keeping the button. Liking someone’s post is a fairly quick and polite way of ending a conversation with them.

The button would be better if it was used properly, though. There’s no reason for lots of people to post things like “good post” or “thanks for the advice” when we have a like button.

There’s no reason for lots of people to post things like “good post” or “thanks for the advice” when we have a like button.

I think that’s actually in the forum rules/etiquette, although it’s been a while since I read them

Maybe we need other buttons as well as the “like” button, like “I agree”, “I mostly agree”, “informative”, “Interesting”, “correct”, “not sure if correct”, “thanks” or something.

Dislike button would be wonderful!

With some standard of dislike:like ratio what causes posts to be hidden.

When it’s not all posts of selfies then the like button is a good indicator of post quality.

When it’s selfies it upsets me because @vickiespencer (albeit deservedly) beats me every time!

While I have the suspicion that an internet without like buttons might be better for us all in the big picture and will be following that Instagram experiment with interest, so far the overwhelming majority wants to keep the like button. (Not that it’s masses who have voted so far ;))

When it’s selfies it upsets me because

Yeah, that’s understandable, of course. Especially if one has not just one but even two pets, maybe you need a selfie with grumpy pets to have a chance.

Even more buttons, I’m not sure, might take up even more time then to decide which button to use …

In one of the articles about the instagram experiment, I read that apparently many people click like buttons without even reading, looking at or watching whatever they then “like”. We are interesting beings.

Dislike button… Wait, wait, wait, I think I have a memory of the forum.having had that for a short while and it was gone again like really fast …

PS

I haven’t “liked” a single post in this thread, which actually takes willpower.

While I have the suspicion that an internet without like buttons might be better for us all in the big picture and will be following that Instagram experiment with interest, so far the overwhelming majority wants to keep the like button. (Not that it’s masses who have voted so far ;))

Yeah, that’s understandable, of course. Especially if one has not just one but even two pets, maybe you need a selfie with grumpy pets to have a chance.

Even more buttons, I’m not sure, might take up even more time then to decide which button to use …

In one of the articles about the instagram experiment, I read that apparently many people click like buttons without even reading, looking at or watching whatever they then “like”. We are interesting beings.

Dislike button… Wait, wait, wait, I think I have a memory of the forum.having had that for a short while and it was gone again like really fast …

PS

But it could lead to more accuracy. eg. what if you only agreed with the first 3 paragraphs of a post but not the last. Liking the post might suggest you liked/agreed with the whole post.

Also what if someone posts something sad/bad news and the only option is a “like” button? Maybe a better button for that could be used too.

But it could lead to more accuracy. eg. what if you only agreed with the first 3 paragraphs of a post but not the last. Liking the post might suggest you liked/agreed with the whole post.

Also what if someone posts something sad/bad news and the only option is a “like” button? Maybe a better button for that could be used too.

But it could lead to more accuracy. eg.

Yes, it could but that would be up against spending the time to figure out the degree to which you liked a post, and if it’s for the sake of accuracy, where do the options stop? What if you don’t agree mostly but just to 10%?

Would it make a post more or less correct if more or less people clicked “correct” or “not correct”?

Perhaps many people click “correct” but are mistaken, which could lead to a false certainty of correctness.

And do posters really need to know if people liked their post?

One of the reasons for the “like” criticism is that people start posting similar things they got likes for, not because they want to post this or that thing but because they want the likes again, people get addicted to likes, and anxious and miserable because of no likes …

Of course … without the like system, we’d most certainly have far less memes and funny cat videos and stuff … which may or may not be a good thing. 😉

I can definitely see arguments pro and contra “the like concept”.

PS

I can definitely believe that. Sometimes I’ve liked the posts of forum friends without properly reading or understanding them. I’ve given these posts a skim, seen they’re semi coherent, and hit <3.

There is that social aspect of like buttons. You can often feel somewhat obligated to press them in order to support friends/allies/family members/business colleagues.

I can definitely believe that. Sometimes I’ve liked the posts of forum friends without properly reading or understanding them. I’ve given these posts a skim, seen they’re semi coherent, and hit <3.

There is that social aspect of like buttons. You can often feel somewhat obligated to press them in order to support friends/allies/family members/business colleagues.

I know a forum.that has quite a few buttons apart from likes, among them one that displays as a smiley that expresses … hm, negative disbelief, the way it’s being used is usually so that the person whose post gets it, would feel like being looked at in a “are you serious” way … and not in a good “are you serious” way, I think most people who get that button would feel stressed, yes. No really nice atmosphere.

I can definitely believe that. Sometimes

Yes, me too.

Replace the Like ❤️

I could swear we had that for a while and it was taken back quickly because it led to undesired results, or someone generally thought better of it suddenly.

I think it would be coolio if we had reaction buttons like…

💩

I don’t like the ❤️

Another thing I want to gripe about is people taking back their likes. Ugh! What’s that about?

Like, as if! 😑

I wouldn’t like buttons like :roll_eyes:.

Taking back likes, I think, could be due to what ahm said, sometimes you might just skim a post and like it because it’s a (forum) friend and you usually agree with them, and you agree with what you read while skimming, but then see a reply to that post and realize there’s something in it which you don’t agree with at all, so you take back your like? At least, I can’t think of any other reason atm.

You know those YT comments “I’m a simple man/woman, I see a video by/of xyz, I like”? Meaning, before I even watched it 😁

Taking back likes, I think, could be due to what ahm said, sometimes you might just skim a post and like it because it’s a (forum) friend and you usually agree with them, and you agree with what you read while skimming, but then see a reply to that post and realize there’s something in it which you don’t agree with at all, so you take back your like? At least, I can’t think of any other reason atm.

You know those YT comments “I’m a simple man/woman, I see a video by/of xyz, I like”? Meaning, before I even watched it 😁

At least, I can’t think of any other reason atm.

I’ve done it once or twice by accident. I wonder if others have also fallen victim to extreme clumsiness. 😅

Replace the Like ❤️

Hide resultsCloses in a day .

Interesting poll. I hope more people vote before it closes tomorrow.

I’ve voted to keep things as they are (and not just 'cos it’ll keep Miss C happy). I think having a like button only keeps things more positive, and you can generally tell bad posts by their lack of likes, so the dislike button doesn’t feel that useful to me.

I must admit, it would be nice, though, to dislike posts that are harmful or clearly untrue. Also, negative feedback might encourage some sellers to break the habit of posting bad advice.

At least, I can’t think of any other reason atm.

I’ve done it once or twice by accident. I wonder if others have also fallen victim to extreme clumsiness. 😅

Replace the Like ❤️

Hide resultsCloses in a day .

Interesting poll. I hope more people vote before it closes tomorrow.

I’ve voted to keep things as they are (and not just 'cos it’ll keep Miss C happy). I think having a like button only keeps things more positive, and you can generally tell bad posts by their lack of likes, so the dislike button doesn’t feel that useful to me.

I must admit, it would be nice, though, to dislike posts that are harmful or clearly untrue. Also, negative feedback might encourage some sellers to break the habit of posting bad advice.

I’ve done it once or twice by accident.

Oh, right, you always need to factor accidents in lol

You know those YT comments “I’m a simple man/woman, I see a video by/of xyz, I like”? Meaning, before I even watched it 😁 more. If I didn’t run out of them so often. Grrr!

It’s like I hop on and like 3-4 posts and 💥 boom I’m out of likes.

Ugh! I know what you mean. 😄

I’m sure people would abuse it just to be spiteful. 😅

Sometimes, people flag just because they don’t like the answer. Imagine a dislike button. 😬

People were getting the dislike button more than the like button and as soon as I would post anything at all one particular person, no names mentioned, would immediately give every post of mine the dislike button no matter what it was about. He did that to everyone actually and had to be blocked from using the forum. So you do get some problems with that sometimes. I think it’s a really bad idea and even Amazon did away with them.

I don’t think giving people the ability to ruin someone’s mood with the push of a button is a good thing. I was relieved when that button went away.

Archived