Identifying Scams: Unusual Requests

jasnrula

I’d just report and move on. I’ve LITERALLY just had to report someone who’s clearly asking for free work. Some people are douches. The ridiculous thing is they’ve mentioned the company that this work would be completed for and it seems legit based on my research.

All I’d say is expect the person/company to be trying to get something for free until proven otherwise.

He asked if he could upload a word doc describing his project.

Say no. They can copy and paste it into the message box. edit: I see you did that sorry. No reason it has to be in a word doc that I can see.

My suspicion is that it probably had a way to contact him outside of fiverr in it.

So I decided NOT to click on the link, and instead just stated I wasn’t interested in pursuing the opportunity further.

Then I contacted CS and attached a screenshot of the exchange. They said they review both users - the one originating the complaint, and the one for which the complaint was filed. CS also was very good in providing additional information on handling these types of things, as well as apologizing for my recent experience. CS also informed me I could go onto the profile of the buyer and flag them.

I decided to check out his profile. Because I am mostly using the phone app, when I tapped the buyers name I would only get a summary with no profile page. Jumping on the laptop I discovered he in fact has a seller profile and two gigs posted. I am beginning to think now that he genuinely wanted me to partner with him - perhaps a “quid pro quo” - or working together in sort of a “studio” situation where we pair up to provide a combined service (you can see I’ve been doing quite a bit of reading on Fiverr TOS and Forums).

My understanding is that the “studio” participants are selected by Fiverr, and from a pool of their top rated performers. Additionally, that type of situation would also be tricky if one were to attempt to create something similar in a solo attempt. Oh well. I won’t know for sure because I’ve effectively ended the conversation.

I mean this has all been quite a learning experience. I’m not a little impressed by Fiverr’s whole approach to harnessing the gig economy, and gamifying the process. It really is brilliant. But as a lowly service provider hawking my services et al, it feels more like I’ve been served up on a platter with garnishing for a hungry line of scammers.

If I had any constructive criticism, I would recommend they really need to focus on properly onboarding sellers. Seems like that would create fewer incidents and support calls on the back end, while improving overall user experience. But that’s just my two cents.

So I decided NOT to click on the link, and instead just stated I wasn’t interested in pursuing the opportunity further.

Then I contacted CS and attached a screenshot of the exchange. They said they review both users - the one originating the complaint, and the one for which the complaint was filed. CS also was very good in providing additional information on handling these types of things, as well as apologizing for my recent experience. CS also informed me I could go onto the profile of the buyer and flag them.

I decided to check out his profile. Because I am mostly using the phone app, when I tapped the buyers name I would only get a summary with no profile page. Jumping on the laptop I discovered he in fact has a seller profile and two gigs posted. I am beginning to think now that he genuinely wanted me to partner with him - perhaps a “quid pro quo” - or working together in sort of a “studio” situation where we pair up to provide a combined service (you can see I’ve been doing quite a bit of reading on Fiverr TOS and Forums).

My understanding is that the “studio” participants are selected by Fiverr, and from a pool of their top rated performers. Additionally, that type of situation would also be tricky if one were to attempt to create something similar in a solo attempt. Oh well. I won’t know for sure because I’ve effectively ended the conversation.

I mean this has all been quite a learning experience. I’m not a little impressed by Fiverr’s whole approach to harnessing the gig economy, and gamifying the process. It really is brilliant. But as a lowly service provider hawking my services et al, it feels more like I’ve been served up on a platter with garnishing for a hungry line of scammers.

If I had any constructive criticism, I would recommend they really need to focus on properly onboarding sellers. Seems like that would create fewer incidents and support calls on the back end, while improving overall user experience. But that’s just my two cents.

Do beware of anyone asking you to do a review exchange etc. This will get both accounts banned.

you can see I’ve been doing quite a bit of reading on Fiverr TOS and Forums

onboarding sellers.

Be sure to also check out Fiverr’s Seller Help Center (there are articles with videos as well for some things), and take the free course on Learn by Fiverr.

It’s not an actual onboarding but it’s something.

Good luck with your gigs!

If I had any constructive criticism, I would recommend they really need to focus on properly onboarding sellers.

It’s pretty easy to simply use the report button and block them. No reason to make it into a big deal.

I’m fairly sure he didn’t want you to partner with him. I didn’t click on your links either as I have no interest in whatever it was he was sending or offering.

No reason to post links to those potential scammers on the forum for others to click on either. I’m puzzled why this is such a major thing to post about. I mean it’s not really something to spend time on.

If I had any constructive criticism, I would recommend they really need to focus on properly onboarding sellers.

It’s pretty easy to simply use the report button and block them. No reason to make it into a big deal.

I’m fairly sure he didn’t want you to partner with him. I didn’t click on your links either as I have no interest in whatever it was he was sending or offering.

No reason to post links to those potential scammers on the forum for others to click on either. I’m puzzled why this is such a major thing to post about. I mean it’s not really something to spend time on.

No reason to post links to those potential scammers on the forum for others to click on either.

Op posted a screenshot of the link, not a link. Or did I miss something? :thinking:

I’m puzzled why this is such a major thing to post about. I mean it’s not really something to spend time on.

It is important for a new user, who does not completely understand the system. 😉

No reason to post links to those potential scammers on the forum for others to click on either.

Op posted a screenshot of the link, not a link. Or did I miss something? :thinking:

I’m puzzled why this is such a major thing to post about. I mean it’s not really something to spend time on.

It is important for a new user, who does not completely understand the system. 😉

It was a screen shot that was cropped in a way that maybe gave the impression it was only a link.

And this discussion has been quite helpful.

It is important for a new user, who does not completely understand the system.

Well he mentioned that people should somehow be screened before being allowed to join. I mean now that he knows that these are scam attempts and knows to click the report button that’s all he needs to know I think.

I guess I can’t put myself in the place of a new user very well.

I see someone flagged the screenshot so it wasn’t just me who thought it was a link.

And even if it wasn’t a link, it was a URL to the potential scam item.

Please accept my apologies.

Please accept my apologies.

Apology accepted… It’s ok with me if you want to continue discussing this. It was the idea that some kind of method should be introduced to screen new sellers that got to me.

This site is incredibly beautiful for the way it allows everyone to join no questions asked and no screening. It does the world so much good.

It’s a small price to pay to have to report these scam attempts which become so obvious once you’ve seen them a few times.

Apology accepted… It’s ok with me if you want to continue discussing this. It was the idea that some kind of method should be introduced to screen new sellers that got to me.

This site is incredibly beautiful for the way it allows everyone to join no questions asked and no screening. It does the world so much good.

It’s a small price to pay to have to report these scam attempts which become so obvious once you’ve seen them a few times.

Thank you.

I agree, and go further to say the platform is brilliant. The deeper I dig into learning about it, the more impressed I am.

What I was suggesting, however, was not a seller screening, but more of an on boarding process for new sellers to be able to take a slightly more guided introduction so they orient themselves more thoroughly.

It’s a small price to pay to have to report these scam attempts which become so obvious once you’ve seen them a few times

How do you know that document (that you never clicked on/read) was a scam?

This post has been flagged by the community as spam, I’ve been informed.

Was it my constructive criticism?

My guess is it is Fiverr’s way of saying, “that’s enough chatter around the water cooler. Get back to work!!”

I guess if I’m keeping all of you from work with blather and claptrap, then no one is out making money.

So get back to work!

This post has been flagged by the community as spam, I’ve been informed.

Was it my constructive criticism?

My guess is it is Fiverr’s way of saying, “that’s enough chatter around the water cooler. Get back to work!!”

I guess if I’m keeping all of you from work with blather and claptrap, then no one is out making money.

So get back to work!

It was probably because of posting the image with the link (which could be a scam or just a private link to a private document) and maybe also the not fully removed/blurred buyer’s image.

Archived