Two Months In, 25 Sales, 5 Stars, Level 1! :)

thatwordchick

I’m grateful to my clients and to fellow community members that have hired me to fix/write their gig text - it’s been a fantastic run here at Fiverr so far, and I’m sad it took me so long to try out the site. The 3 things that I think have helped me achieve success thus far:

Setting boundaries. If a client immediately tries to “bully me” on price and drive down cost, they aren’t worth the stress they’re bound to bring with them. I’ve had messages with buyers wanting 5,000 word articles for $5 and that’s crazy. Figure out how much you get after Fiverr’s commission cut, be honest with yourself about how long the Gig you’re considering will take you, and don’t be afraid to say no. Remember: if you tie yourself up with 2-3 little $5 jobs for unreasonably demanding clients you could miss a much larger, easier job. (Also, don’t advertise “unlimited” anything - it’s almost universally a bad move that will make bad clients take advantage of you.)

Checking the buyer request board frequently. I grant that there are very few opportunities until you hit level one, but that doesn’t mean they’re non-existent. Bookmark the tab and check it 2-3 times a day. respond with a fresh piece of writing (for example, don’t cut and paste the same “pitch” for every one) and make sure you’re responding with properly spelled, well-punctuated text in the buyer’s language. Typos don’t inspire confidence!

Making a point to capture a screenshot of every finished project. I just hit ctrl + print screen, paste it into Microsoft Paint (or Photoshop or something if you’re fancy!) and trim down to show only the work. I attach this as a file upload when I submit and store the images on my desktop if I ever need to redo my gig images on the page itself.

Minimizing conversation when it’s a $5-$10 gig. I’m very friendly and outgoing, and I’m always happy to talk with potential customers, but I can’t do multiple days of back-and-forth hemming and hawing over a $5 project. That’s only $4 in my pocket, and I aim for $30 an hour of active work, which includes responding to messages, prospecting, etc. If I’m devoting more than about five minutes of discussion to the back-and-forth on a small order, I’m either barely breaking even or actively losing money. So be polite, be kind, but be brief!

Archived