Fiverr still worth the hassle?

sasi801

Hi everyone!

I’m not new to Fiverr in general, I’ve been using it for couple of years now and it has matured into more than just a quick buck service but at the same time it has also attracted loads of low quality gigs (I’ve got even trouble sometimes spotting them)

Not to go off topic straight away, but my question is…is it still worth it to start selling on Fiverr considering basically the following:

• the percentage Fiverr takes in
  • the bad experiences with buyer (holding you ransom to overdeliver otherwise you get an bad review)
  • your gig might be too successful and end up being cannibalised by others and oversaturation
  • low payout
  • getting gigs stays a challenge
  • competition who plays dirty by rating and buying gigs from eachother
  • can you even compete as beginner when most are playing dirty ?

I look forward to everyone’s input on this, I’m sure there are past topics on this but as Fiverr is ever developing I wanted an more recent perspective from others.😁

All the point you mentioned are extremely valid. Especially the buyer situation. I see it from this perspective; if you’re just starting out, deal with the blackmail, put in a little more effort and time regardless of how low the payment may be. After you build a name for yourself and succeed in gaining customers, whether they are regulars or just new ones directed to you by Fiverr, you can do well. There’s always ways to get around cheaters and bad buyers will come at you in any career. With time you can raise your prices to the level you feel appropriate and that should get rid of a lot of buyers who are trouble. As for Fiverr’s stake in the money you get, I see it as fair, they are giving you access to customers and allowing you to sell on their platform. I’ll give you a different platform for example; eBay takes a stake in what you sell (about 5.5%), so does Paypal. Another platform would be YouTube which takes 50% of what you make from advertisers!

From all the issues, the commission part is the least of my worries, an quick Google search or even on this forum about seller experiences brings out also many horror stories with regards to how Fiverr provides not much support to the sellers and stories of many account being disabled on mere merits of saying “you will leave an honest review if asked” or if asking an buyer why they left an particular review as potential part of an feedback process to improve your work all can be interpreted as violation of Fiverr rules…

I’ve read even accounts of 7 years that has been diactivated on this bases…and somehow I’m getting major flashback from eBay back in the days who has grown too big to give a hoot about sellers or even buyers I think…they simply deactivate you , because caring costs them more than they make on you.

Archived