Signs Of a Scammer

brenna_n

• 1 year later...

What is doing Fivver? Why Fivver do not protect professionals against scammers:

Work is delivered and in the correct style.

Sccammer: He started insulting and asked me to cancel. He was never able to explain what was wrong. He got the work for free.

Fivver, are you going to do something? 

Is there a way to block scammers? I am bombarded every day with message from different people about "gig" and "message telegram xxx".
It's REALLY spamming, blocking my mail.

• Like 78

As I registered as seller and added my gigs I was bombarded of messages, at any time, proposing me jobs but inviting me to contact them on telegram. I am new here, I read policies and forum and I report them as spam.

Now, stating that contacts outside fiverr are not allowed and are usually scam, I am curious to know is: how these telegram scammers can froud us?

Do they send virus, malawares to steal our data through links and images? How dangerous they are? What is the risk they represent if we try to contact one of them for curiosity? 

• Like 77
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, tiziana_d_g said:

How dangerous they are? What is the risk they represent if we try to contact one of them for curiosity? 

It's against Fiverr's Terms of Service to contact someone outside of the platform. So if you do contact someone using email or any other form of communication outside of Fiverr, your Fiverr account could get shut down and you'll be banned - you'll never be able to buy and sell on Fiverr again.

On top of that, if you do get scammed, you could be out of money and your private information could be stolen.

• Like 74
  • Up 3
  • Thanks 4

there are many scammers and hackers around Fiverr, they will send you a zip file and will ask you too open it.

the file name would be long, you will not able to see the file extension, and that would be .exe If you are downloading the zip file then make sure the file extension should not be .exe

there is an example:

1.png

• Like 70
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 5

Hello @tiziana_d_g if a buyer comes with that type of things like telegram or say you to do work outside of fiverr platform simple report there msgs as spam and blocked them they are useless. Don't ever try to work with that type of buyer's they are in search of to hire someone and then disappeared after getting  there work.

Be aware from that type of buyer's. Good and trusted buyer's will reach you soon just focus on your account.

Best of luck 😇

• Like 72
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 6

On 9/16/2022 at 11:57 AM, lalitsdmittal said:

there are many scammers and hackers around Fiverr, they will send you a zip file and will ask you too open it.

the file name would be long, you will not able to see the file extension, and that would be .exe If you are downloading the zip file then make sure the file extension should not be .exe

there is an example:

1.png

20k a day, I wonder at which moment he thought it could work.

• Like 64
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 4

• 1 month later...

Great topic and it can be well discussed having prior importance working in Fiverr business market.

Moving inside, as Fiverr is expanding day by day, the scammers also have increased eventually which is in fact a natural thing. All the points above are 100% correct. Here are added ones in nutshell : 

1. Never Ever communicate outside Fiverr and as a seller read Fiverr's TOS completely, precisely understand it.

2. Check the history of Buyer (if applicable). You can see their collaborations with other sellers and how they have reviewed the seller.

3. Again a good point added is the brief, if you find anywhere the brief is not proper and misdirects your services then you can always clear the brief first.

4. Bargaining for your service prices, here never lower down your rates for the dedicated services you have decided for. You are in professional business where you CANNOT promote bargaining.

5. If the first message from buyers side seems improper including abusive language, not trusting the digital services, bad previous experiences etc then you should clear down all the situations and nature of buyer first because it is possible that you can suffer in terms of project experience if you opt to work with this segment buyers.

Rest, all the best for your Fiverr Journey.

Regards | Art_Tribe

• Like 84
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 5

Once I got badly scammed on Upwork as I am new to freelancing and also working on Upwork and thought " let me get a single order(either on Fiverr or Upwork) everything will be fine" as I thought once I get reviews I'll ge tons of orders lol.

One day I applied to a job on Upwork where I had to design a logo,client messaged me saying he needs initial sample of custom logo"s" (that were 5) as soon as possible as He was my first client I sat whole night and designed 5 different concept then I took a picture of my laptop screen to send him He said he needs AI file I didn't had any chance except sending him.

He got that and said "it is not good bye "😅 hilarious but that really hurt me I worked so hard and logos were perfect 

That was an incident he was from Croatia I thought Croatians are civilized, really affected image of Croatians in my opinion

• Like 59
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, sardarahmad360 said:

That was an incident he was from Croatia I thought Croatians are civilized, really affected image of Croatians in my opinion

There are not-good people everywhere. A single person is not a good sample size to represent the population of a nation.

Beware of cognitive baises.

You had a good opinion of the country before the incident. What was that based on?

(How do you know the person was actually from there?)

• Like 61
  • Up 4
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, imagination7413 said:

There are not-good people everywhere. A single person is not a good sample size to represent the population of a nation.

Beware of cognitive baises.

You had a good opinion of the country before the incident. What was that based on?

(How do you know the person was actually from there?)

Yep, you are absolutely right I shouldn't blame whole nation for a single person,but actually it's human psychology 'First impression is last impression' as I never engaged with Croatian guys so according to this psychology theory this person represented his nation to me BUT It is totally not good I was wrong but again it is human nature i.e If a guy from Pakistan will scam you as If you didn't engaged with them so your mind will automatically say "oh Pakisanis are scammer" it happens in such way but thanks for your positive response so I changed my words "although he was Croatian but it doesn't means everyone is bad everywhere as everyone is good everywhere"

On Upwork client's location is visible so I knew where is he from.

• Like 65
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, sardarahmad360 said:

but it doesn't means everyone is bad everywhere as everyone is good everywhere"

On Upwork client's location is visible so I knew where is he from.

That's getting philosophical. There's a saying in English, "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree", meaning children very often grow up to be just like their parents, even if in different ways. I do not believe everyone is good, because being 'good' is takes work and effort, and frequently a crazy amount of self-control and self-awareness. I do think everyone has the potential to do good, but humans (both individuals and as species) are notorious for making bad decisions, lazy decisions, apathetic decisions, and self-centered decisions.

I've seen faked location before, here on Fiverr. VPNs are a thing. 

• Like 63
  • Thanks 5

On 1/11/2023 at 7:30 PM, imagination7413 said:

That's getting philosophical. There's a saying in English, "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree", meaning children very often grow up to be just like their parents, even if in different ways. I do not believe everyone is good, because being 'good' is takes work and effort, and frequently a crazy amount of self-control and self-awareness. I do think everyone has the potential to do good, but humans (both individuals and as species) are notorious for making bad decisions, lazy decisions, apathetic decisions, and self-centered decisions.

I've seen faked location before, here on Fiverr. VPNs are a thing. 

I got your every point,absolutely right!

But I really didn't knew that VPN works on these platform thanks for awareness

• Like 66
  • Thanks 3

Another tip is to answer the wrong answer to him/her, or to behave between "I don't know what you are saying" and "Can you tell me more".

Somehow these scammers get offended easy and won't lift a finger to interact with you and come to a mutual understanding after hearing the wrong answer.

I mean, they don't have time to waste because the same message is addressed to 30 other sellers. They are not really interested on your Profile or skills.

• Like 63
  • Thanks 5

24 minutes ago, grayprogrammerz said:

95% of times, reviews create difference between legit and scam

New buyer, new seller... Don't know who they are. Some scammers will be identified at initial stage (oh talk me at telegram, send me demo before work...). And some at delivery time (I don't get what I asked, cancel it...).

Correct, they are fraudulent individuals. They want the task completed, and the money returned to them. 
One potential solution to this issue could be to raise the prices for your packages. This may deter scammers, as they do not want to lose money in the long run. 😎

• Like 60
  • Thanks 3