Fiverr blog about mistakes to avoid as a freelancer, and #4 is as unexpected as it is good

miiila

4 of the 5 mistakes you should avoid as a freelancer, according to Fiverr make sense and probably aren’t news to many of us:

Not Treating Your Freelance Business Like a Business
Not Setting Clear Expectations
Not Knowing the Right Questions to Ask
Not Knowing How to Price Your Services

But #4 of 5 is out of line a bit, and I like it:

Not Practicing Self-Care

That paragraph has a rather interesting link too, to a Google Chrome extension to help protect your vision. I guess many of us could do with a little help with avoiding too much eye-strain, so maybe you’ll find this useful.
Not sure about posting the link but you’ll find it in the blog, and the rest is worth a read, or at least a scroll, too:
https://blog.fiverr.com/5-mistakes-you-should-avoid-as-a-freelancer/

• Like 12

It’s explained in the blog:

5. Not Knowing How to Price Your Services

An inspiring and empowering way to price your services is to work backward from your desired lifestyle. You can use an income calculator like this one from NPPA to calculate your expenses and the salary you want to earn.

In the beginning, you may take jobs at a lower rate to build your experience and this is ok. After all, you’re building a portfolio and want to gain clients’ trust. That being said, living that way forever isn’t ideal. Over time, you can slowly start to increase your prices and find a comfortable average.

Unless you are the only one in the world who offers your particular service, you may not be able to charge super-premium prices, so find a happy medium between the amount of work you are willing to put in, the value you offer, and the lifestyle you desire.

• Like 2

The bit about “execute any check-ins along the way” doesn’t really work properly on Fiverr. ie. on normal orders there is no “check-in” or something to show work in progress or something that would stop them asking for >=30 revisions to it (30 things to change) before the delivery had been made. And questions along the way might not get answered in time with some buyers. Basically questions/“check-ins” along the way won’t stop the countdown but can lead to increased things along the way or more waiting for an answer with the clock still running. Only gigs with milestones have “check-ins” but they’re only for >=$100 orders and I’m not sure if they’re available for everything yet.

Also maybe the way Fiverr is set up could help sellers more in some of the things suggested in it. eg. the way Fiver is currently set up limits sellers (in terms of number of gigs they can create etc.) and also prevents sellers putting their own limits properly. The way Fiverr works, its limitations and the evaluations limit how sellers work (eg. maybe a seller could easily do a buyer request that isn’t currently being shown to them but because it isn’t shown, maybe because they don’t have a gig in that category, maybe because of the limits on gigs, they never see that and can’t apply for that request).

• Like 2

There are many blogs that aren’t specifically written “for Fiverr use” but generally for freelancers.
The point about self-care and more specifically eye-care, though, is relevant for anyone.
It might even be possible to avoid eyesight issues, and glasses too, to an extent, by taking care of one’s eyes, and many people who look at their screen all day or night long, aren’t even aware that their are some exercises which could prevent trouble there. I recently got myself a book with some good tips and exercises and I’m trying to implement them.

• Like 5

There are many blogs that aren’t specifically written “for Fiverr use” but generally for freelancers.

The point about self-care and more specifically eye-care, though, is relevant for anyone.

It might even be possible to avoid eyesight issues, and glasses too, to an extent, by taking care of one’s eyes, and many people who look at their screen all day or night long, aren’t even aware that their are some exercises which could prevent trouble there. I recently got myself a book with some good tips and exercises and I’m trying to implement them.

Maybe they should also take into account in the blog/Fiverr that their gig videos don’t give a volume control on Chrome until you click to play the video, and when you do it’s automatically set to the max volume and if you change it and then click to another video that too will be defaulted to the max volume instead of remembering your previous setting. Maybe that could affect the “take care of yourself” section since that could affect hearing probably.

Maybe they should also take into account in the blog/Fiverr that their gig videos don’t give a volume control on Chrome until you click to play the video, and when you do it’s automatically set to the max volume and if you change it and then click to another video that too will be defaulted to the max volume instead of remembering your previous setting. Maybe that could affect the “take care of yourself” section since that could affect hearing probably.

Would be nice if it defaulted to the last volume you picked, right.

• Like 5

Eye care has nothing on the amount of exposure to electrosmog and dirty electricity most freelancers get. I’m sensitive to EMF radiation to the point where I do not have wifi at home or ever have my phone on indoors. I also only work in areas of my home which get the least amount of exposure to my neighbors wifi.

I’m also down to my last two incandescent bulbs. This means I have 2x working light bulbs in a two bedroom apartment with two bathrooms, lounge, and kitchen.

While not everyone is sensitive to EMFs, everyone gets the same adverse health effects. Anyone I have ever met who suffers recurring headaches (who I have been able to convince to try it) has had them disappear in a few days by simply turning off the wifi and going wired.

Sadly, trying to convince people that it is not healthy to be bombarded all day by super convenient wifi, is pretty much impossible in 2019.

As for eye-care, I have an application on my linux desktop called Redshift which automatically dims blue light being emitted by the screen throughout the day. That paired with use of incandescent light bulbs or candle light can keep your eyes relatively healthy. That is of course, so long as people remember to go outside for a good few hours a day. 😉

• Like 3

Eye care has nothing on the amount of exposure to electrosmog and dirty electricity most freelancers get. I’m sensitive to EMF radiation to the point where I do not have wifi at home or ever have my phone on indoors. I also only work in areas of my home which get the least amount of exposure to my neighbors wifi.

I’m also down to my last two incandescent bulbs. This means I have 2x working light bulbs in a two bedroom apartment with two bathrooms, lounge, and kitchen.

While not everyone is sensitive to EMFs, everyone gets the same adverse health effects. Anyone I have ever met who suffers recurring headaches (who I have been able to convince to try it) has had them disappear in a few days by simply turning off the wifi and going wired.

Sadly, trying to convince people that it is not healthy to be bombarded all day by super convenient wifi, is pretty much impossible in 2019.

As for eye-care, I have an application on my linux desktop called Redshift which automatically dims blue light being emitted by the screen throughout the day. That paired with use of incandescent light bulbs or candle light can keep your eyes relatively healthy. That is of course, so long as people remember to go outside for a good few hours a day. 😉

That’s an interesting point about electrosmog.

I use blue light filters on my desktop and phone, plus my phone automatically switches to black and white at a time I’ve chosen to make late-night browsing less attractive…

I’m all for going outside, I’m trying to stick to my own rule of 3 park walks during the work day.

• Like 5

• 2 years later...

I think it is very important to identify the common mistakes done by new sellers and it will help to provide good byuer experience to all. also i think lot of new sellers suffered lack of orders due to some problems of the gigs communication and even their technical knowledge. so i expect good ideas from experts

• Like 18

7 hours ago, gayanchamira said:

I think it is very important to identify the common mistakes done by new sellers and it will help to provide good byuer experience to all. also i think lot of new sellers suffered lack of orders due to some problems of the gigs communication and even their technical knowledge. so i expect good ideas from experts

The common mistakes done by new sellers are below...

1. Impatient: Most of the sellers thing that they will create gig and start getting orders. That's the greatest mistakes which is made by sellers. Sellers should be patient to get orders on Fiverrs.

2. When they orders they become over excited and some times seller can't provide the services of their client's expectations. That's why, they have to cancel order and make them disappointed and their gig rank also decreased. 

• Like 8

Hi, friend how are you.

Mistakes that A new seller do:- 

Mistake #1 - Lack at knowledge about Fiverr policies

Mistake #2 - Lack at communication

Mistake #3 - Lack at creating effective gigs

Mistake #4 - Lack at managing clients and orders

Mistake #5 - Lack at maintaining Fiverr account statics

If you are a new seller, Then Fiverr is a best platform for you because Fiverr provide all the information it self and The knowledge is given by Fiverr Officials.

Thanks, JerryGraphicx Official

Edited by jerrygraphicx
  • Like 11

I think one of the biggest mistakes is believing that you have to be online in order to get orders. This is not true at all. I've had many (if not all!) buyers either place orders whilst I was asleep, or message me only for me to respond after I woke up and we made a deal.

Another one imo is staring oneself blind on the impressions, clicks and conversation rates. Sure, they can provide some insight. If you're getting 500 clicks but 0 orders there's apparently a problem with your gig (e.g. description/vague packages etc). However I never look at my statistics. Should I? Perhaps. I just did for the sake of this post and I saw in the last 7 days I had 2.4 impressions, 62 clicks and 4 orders. Now that doesn't seem that great I guess and it could be better. It might be because I don't do any marketing (for the life of me I wouldn't know where to begin). 

Anyways, I'm confident in my skill & gig and it gives me enough workload as is. Many people assume having someone click and not buy is a failure. When in the meantime this click could be other sellers checking their competitors or perhaps people of this forum checking your profile. If I would check my stats every day I would go mad!

I will say that this is just a side job for me so I'm not a full-time freelancer, which probably causes my laidback attitude about the stats. Anyways, below are some helpful links to see what you can do as a new seller & what you should focus on (and what you shouldn't focus on) in order to succeed; 

Edited by sabinespoems
  • Like 9
  • Up 4

A mistake is always new learning to us. we should learn from here.  when a freelancer works as a new seller he can do so many mistakes. it can vary from seller to seller.  we should not edit our gig it can lose our rank, beside this before talking order we should understand the whole project clearly. many sellers hesitate to contact the customer. we should improve it.

• Like 7

On 4/12/2022 at 3:34 AM, jerrygraphicx said:

Hi, friend how are you.

Mistakes that A new seller do:- 

Mistake #1 - Lack at knowledge about Fiverr policies

Mistake #2 - Lack at communication

Mistake #3 - Lack at creating effective gigs

Mistake #4 - Lack at managing clients and orders

Mistake #5 - Lack at maintaining Fiverr account statics

If you are a new seller, Then Fiverr is a best platform for you because Fiverr provide all the information it self and The knowledge is given by Fiverr Officials.

Thanks, JerryGraphicx Official

But the most of the buyers give orders to the sellers who have ratings and reviews 

• Like 5