No Sales? Booming Economy?

steve_maxell

Why does everyone seem to forget about marketing and promoting their own services?

Because it’s expensive and unreliable. Besides, why do I need Fiverr if you want me to find out my own clients by marketing?

When I drive for Uber, I hand out business cards, those cards don’t mention Fiverr. If I’m spending money on gas, why should I give Fiverr 20%? I prefer Fiverr to earn money when they bring me clients.

Besides, Facebook rejected by ads for my Fiverr gigs, same issue with LinkedIn. Maybe I need landing page or something like that.

Besides, why do I need Fiverr if you want me to find out my own clients by marketing?

Your gigs are a business. YOU are responsible for the success of your business.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why does everyone seem to forget about marketing and promoting their own services?

Its not practical, possible, or even sensible to market Fiverr gigs.

The Fiverr search algorithm is broken. This is easily observed when trying to use things like the best selling search filter. If you market yourself, you market your personal brand. With the search and a few other things as they are, all directing potential leads to Fiverr does is undermine the integrity of your brand.

You basically say to people “come to this store I work at. Just mind your head on the search which doesn’t really work and the watch out for my millions of competitors.”

In real terms, marketing also costs money. With this in mind, no one in their right mind is going to pay for an ad for a gig when Fiverr itself shows ads for your competitors on your own gig page. This just gives your competitors free marketing at your expense.

You also have the fact that lowly regular sellers are prohibited from mentioning personal blogs, etc on Fiverr. In this case, if you are to market your gigs and leads show interest, they hit a wall when trying to find out more about your brand and why they should buy from you. Conversely. people like some Pro sellers get free marketing from Fiverr just by sigining up, as Fiverr loves to name drop brands, youtube channels, etc.

All in all. marketing Fiverr sounds like a good idea. However, it is simply not practical.

The Fiverr search algorithm is broken.

I agree @cyaxrex. This is the real truth of what’s going on with Fiverr right now.

Besides, why do I need Fiverr if you want me to find out my own clients by marketing?

If I’m going to spend money driving traffic to me, I’m not going to drive it to Fiverr. That makes no sense.

Besides, my gigs aren’t a business, they’re gigs. A business is a web marketing agency with a unique website, maybe testimonials, perhaps a blog, etc.

Fiverr is more like eBay. If I list something on eBay, I don’t advertise it. If it’s something people want, they will find it and maybe bid on it.

If I’m going to spend money driving traffic to me, I’m not going to drive it to Fiverr. That makes no sense.

Besides, my gigs aren’t a business, they’re gigs. A business is a web marketing agency with a unique website, maybe testimonials, perhaps a blog, etc.

Fiverr is more like eBay. If I list something on eBay, I don’t advertise it. If it’s something people want, they will find it and maybe bid on it.

Fiverr is also taking 20% from every single penny that we earn and take a good amount from buyer’s side as well and WE SHOULD NOT FORGET THAT.

Without Buyers and Sellers Fiverr not be able to make money too. So it is up-to Fiverr to maintain the platform/marketplace.

You could have an awesome gig, with more reviews than all your competitors, and a better rating to, but if it’s on page 2, at the very bottom, how often are they going to find you?

Why does everyone seem to forget about marketing and promoting their own services? Every business has to do it, why do so many freelancers think the laws of business don’t apply to them? If you want more customers, it is wise to get out into the world and connect to the customers who need what you have to offer.

Also, people are only considering ranking on menu pages. They aren’t considering their discoverability under search queries in Fiverr.

Its not practical, possible, or even sensible to market Fiverr gigs.

The Fiverr search algorithm is broken. This is easily observed when trying to use things like the best selling search filter. If you market yourself, you market your personal brand. With the search and a few other things as they are, all directing potential leads to Fiverr does is undermine the integrity of your brand.

You basically say to people “come to this store I work at. Just mind your head on the search which doesn’t really work and the watch out for my millions of competitors.”

In real terms, marketing also costs money. With this in mind, no one in their right mind is going to pay for an ad for a gig when Fiverr itself shows ads for your competitors on your own gig page. This just gives your competitors free marketing at your expense.

You also have the fact that lowly regular sellers are prohibited from mentioning personal blogs, etc on Fiverr. In this case, if you are to market your gigs and leads show interest, they hit a wall when trying to find out more about your brand and why they should buy from you. Conversely. people like some Pro sellers get free marketing from Fiverr just by sigining up, as Fiverr loves to name drop brands, youtube channels, etc.

All in all. marketing Fiverr sounds like a good idea. However, it is simply not practical.

I refuse to pay for FB marketing of my gig when Fiverr shows my competitors on my gigs! So ridiculous!

True. When I pay for marketing, it’s to one of my books.

Once you get started its simple. Quality of work + timely order completion !!

Most people are following this tip, I sometime deliver in less than 30min and with the finest standard and quality of work. And not for a year or two, but for 9 years.

But the fiverr algo is more than that.

Fiverr is also taking 20% from every single penny that we earn and take a good amount from buyer’s side as well and WE SHOULD NOT FORGET THAT.

Without Buyers and Sellers Fiverr not be able to make money too. So it is up-to Fiverr to maintain the platform/marketplace.

In addition to the fees buyers pay for ordering, tipping, etc. I’m convinced those fees make some buyers think twice about ordering. Nobody likes to see a $10 price become $12 after “order now” is clicked.

They’re more interested in quality now. Fiverr is no longer the cool startup where anything goes, Fiverr is now corporate and serious. A friend of mine tried joining Fiverr, and she tells me it was like a job interview. They were asking her all kinds of questions about what she can do. In the past, it wasn’t like that. You just needed your e mail and that was it.

In addition to the fees buyers pay for ordering, tipping, etc. I’m convinced those fees make some buyers think twice about ordering. Nobody likes to see a $10 price become $12 after “order now” is clicked.

They’re more interested in quality now. Fiverr is no longer the cool startup where anything goes, Fiverr is now corporate and serious. A friend of mine tried joining Fiverr, and she tells me it was like a job interview. They were asking her all kinds of questions about what she can do. In the past, it wasn’t like that. You just needed your e mail and that was it.

A friend of mine tried joining Fiverr, and she tells me it was like a job interview. They were asking her all kinds of questions about what she can do.

That is a great step so far as I remember how easy it was to just signup and start selling in old days. Also, they are performing the verification process and skill test for sellers which will benefit the marketplace for sure.

A friend of mine tried joining Fiverr, and she tells me it was like a job interview. They were asking her all kinds of questions about what she can do.

That is a great step so far as I remember how easy it was to just signup and start selling in old days. Also, they are performing the verification process and skill test for sellers which will benefit the marketplace for sure.

I’m not against skill tests when they’re optional. However, what Fiverr is doing now contradicts the original mission of Fiverr.

Besides, not everyone knows what they’ll do on Fiverr when they join. They may come here thinking they’ll do this, and they end up doing that. So the interviews are pointless.

Lets be honest.
When was the last time Fiverr actually asked sellers whats right or wrong.
Why are there no forum posts about how annoying it is filling in multiple choice questionnaires on how to improve this service? You would think the shareholders would want to know this.
No wonder people speculate all the time.

This is true. Nothing more to it.

You’ve just got to stick with it and not become ‘entitled’,

This is true. Nothing more to it.

Sadly, it’s not. It can seem that way. However, at some point or other, every seller finds themselves battling for survival against a new set of algorithmic rules. It’s not just an exclusive to Fiverr problem, though.

I used to have an account on a site where it was possible to pay for premium search exposure. I tried it once and ended up with 7 high-value orders. Then I kept repeating this process.

It was fantastic for about a year. I could guarantee that spending $50 for 3-days of premium exposure could generate approximately $300 in sales. Then, suddenly, everything changed. My ratings had stayed the same. However, paying for exposure started resulting in zero leads and orders.

I figured out what had changed on the site in question. Then I figured that it simply wasn’t worth paying for exposure anymore. (After a while, you end up just bleeding money.)

In short, freelancing is like the old Chinese proverb “And this, too, shall pass.”

Then it becomes a case of adapt or… Well, don’t adapt and see what happens.

I noticed from your profile by the way, that you are from Newcastle in the UK. I haven’t lived there for a long time, however, I’m originally from County Durham and lived in Sunderland for a long time. Nice to see you on the foum and Fiverr!

Archived