Gig Requirements Before The Job

mary19791

It is a benefit for both the Buyer and Seller to lay out clear instructions before the gig. I have had the experience lately with a buyer that continuously gives me the gig requirements and then asks for revisions adding in things that are second hand thoughts. It is an email template gig so they are adding in text that they want, but they could have given me that text before I started on the project instead of needing a revision.

Make sure that you have your content or instructions together before ordering a gig. Things like designing take a lot of time. Going back and fixing things after the work is complete is sometimes like asking a seller to do the job over again.

If a seller does a good job for you, it is also nice to leave a tip as well. 🙂 They will be sure to keep up the good work when you go back to them.

Those are my two cents of advice.

• Like 61
  • Thanks 5

It is a benefit for both the Buyer and Seller to lay out clear instructions before the gig. I have had the experience lately with a buyer that continuously gives me the gig requirements and then asks for revisions adding in things that are second hand thoughts. It is an email template gig so they are adding in text that they want, but they could have given me that text before I started on the project instead of needing a revision.

Make sure that you have your content or instructions together before ordering a gig. Things like designing take a lot of time. Going back and fixing things after the work is complete is sometimes like asking a seller to do the job over again.

If a seller does a good job for you, it is also nice to leave a tip as well. 🙂 They will be sure to keep up the good work when you go back to them.

Those are my two cents of advice.

Things like designing take a lot of time. Going back and fixing things after the work is complete is sometimes like asking a seller to do the job over again.

Some client’s think designing is like opening a word file and write down something. They actually don’t know what they want and when you submit your design than they come up become a power house of ideas. This is annoying.

• Like 35

• 1 month later...

Things like designing take a lot of time. Going back and fixing things after the work is complete is sometimes like asking a seller to do the job over again.

Some client’s think designing is like opening a word file and write down something. They actually don’t know what they want and when you submit your design than they come up become a power house of ideas. This is annoying.

yes that is why I was saying to brainstorm before the job, to make it easier on everyone.

• Like 33

• 2 years later...
On 7/15/2019 at 2:04 AM, mary19791 said:

but they could have given me that text before I started on the project instead of needing a revision.

My two cents in return is that it's nice to have all the instructions up-front before starting the work.

But as a freelancer, you need to expect clients to change their minds about stuff.

Often, clients will have a particular idea of what they want, but new ideas come to life when they see it in front of them. My job a freelancer is to facilitate, create and bring those ideas to life. But it isn't free. 

I don't view revisions as anything but a new round of ideas being brought to life. With that said, they always have to pay for my work.

When I agree to include, let's say, two revisions in an order, that should be baked into the price. If the client would rather pay for those revisions if needed, the rate would be lower, but they would expect to pay a certain amount for each revision. 

I make it clear to all buyers that revisions aren't free. They are included. If the client needs changes, I'll happily work on them because I know I get paid. 

Make sure that you have your content or instructions together before ordering a gig.

This is good advice! Even though revisions might be included or needed during the order, there's always the time aspect to consider. If I need some content and specify precisely what I need, maybe I won't need that revision. It saves me/the buyer time when it gets done right the first time. 

The same applies to selling. I always advise fellow sellers to read everything twice, then reread it once more, just to make sure. It can be frustrating to receive work that isn't done according to your specifications. 

As a seller, I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. You're paying for a service. You should expect the freelancer you hire to keep up the good work because of that alone – not because there might be a tip down the line.

Sure, it's nice to get a tip (I always appreciate it!), but when a buyer is paying me to do a great job, I'm going to make damn sure I deliver the goods.

If a seller expects a tip for doing a good job, I'll never work with them again. I would never expect it as a seller. 

We're not a restaurant, and Fiverr is the only platform I know of that encourages you to pay a tip for a service performed by a freelancer.

That's not something I would ever include or mention in a contract with a client, yet Fiverr forces the buyer to look through an "It's customary to tip" screen after the order.

No, it's not "customary". Maybe in a restaurant or certain countries, but not while working with freelancers. 

• Like 23

On 7/14/2019 at 9:04 PM, mary19791 said:

Going back and fixing things after the work is complete is sometimes like asking a seller to do the job over again.

Do you charge for revisions?  If not, you should consider it, so that each additional afterthought is an additional sale. 

On 5/30/2022 at 12:20 PM, smashradio said:

But it isn't free. 

Agree. Best decision I ever made was to remove revisions from the order, so each time someone wants to add "Just one more thing", it is an additional sale.  I'm happy to revise all day long.

Peter Falk Detective GIF by PeacockTV

• Like 27

15 hours ago, newsmike said:

Agree. Best decision I ever made was to remove revisions from the order.

I include two revisions, but I also inform the buyer about what's included, and what's not. 

Script changes = No. 

Instruction changes = No. 

Additional services = No. 

I make a mistake = Yes

Style change if I didn't follow instructions properly = Yes (This is basically my answer to anyone who wants remote sessions - and my replacement for doing them. I hate directed sessions more than anything. They can bite me.)

• Like 18

1 hour ago, smashradio said:

I include two revisions, but I also inform the buyer about what's included, and what's not. 

Script changes = No. 

Instruction changes = No. 

Additional services = No. 

I make a mistake = Yes

Style change if I didn't follow instructions properly = Yes (This is basically my answer to anyone who wants remote sessions - and my replacement for doing them. I hate directed sessions more than anything. They can bite me.)

I basically do the same as that. Directed sessions are not bad if you charge big for them.  $200 additional for 30 mins.

• Like 19

2 hours ago, newsmike said:

I basically do the same as that. Directed sessions are not bad if you charge big for them.  $200 additional for 30 mins.

I would charge 1000 per minute. I absolutely hate them. I'm the same with meetings with clients. I prefer to work alone. That way, the client won't hear me burping and farting in the studio. 

• Like 15

3 minutes ago, newsmike said:

You should sell those as NFT's 

The worst part is, some sucker would probably pay for it. Did you know that a Norwegian guy who puts paint up his ass and squirts it out over a canvas in Norway, received nearly 4 million US dollars in "art support"? Yes, that's a thing in Norway. He does it infront of an audience, too! I'm not gonna share the link here, in an effort to not get banned. But...

image.thumb.png.7a57489a9d09ae539672393b644e823c.png

(I google translated the page and had to struggle to find a moment during the video that didn't show his "art" in action.)

So maybe selling my farts as NFTs could be a good idea. I might get millions! 

• Like 16

8 minutes ago, smashradio said:

The worst part is, some sucker would probably pay for it. Did you know that a Norwegian guy who puts paint up his ass and squirts it out over a canvas in Norway, received nearly 4 million US dollars in "art support"? Yes, that's a thing in Norway. He does it infront of an audience, too! I'm not gonna share the link here, in an effort to not get banned. But...

Art is the perfect medium to expose weaponized stupidity. People will fork over millions to look enlightened rather than say, "hey, that's crap." 

https://nypost.com/2013/05/15/43-8-million-for-this/

Edited by newsmike
  • Like 16

58 minutes ago, newsmike said:

Art is the perfect medium to expose weaponized stupidity. People will fork over millions to look enlightened rather than say, "hey, that's crap." 

https://nypost.com/2013/05/15/43-8-million-for-this/

You just have to interpret it right. If you don't understand it, you don't understand art. Don't you see the blue representing the patriarchy and how it influences post modern post modernism? 

• Like 16

58 minutes ago, smashradio said:

You just have to interpret it right. If you don't understand it, you don't understand art. Don't you see the blue representing the patriarchy and how it influences post modern post modernism? 

Nope, still looks like a trailer window to me. 

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

You are so right about the revisions. If the error is due to me, it is my understanding to reorder and hand over the work immediately. In fact, a client of mine received the job, texting me about a week after confirming the payment. And reported the problem in the study. I checked. yes, it was my fault and I fixed the mistake as soon as possible and submitted the job.
In the opposite case, let alone a few minor revisions, we have to grapple with requests for plugins that are not in the offer.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...