Enduring the Fiverr Drought!

adamclaywebb

Congratulations on your early success, @denton11. That’s a great thing!

I’ve been working on Fiverr for 4 years now, and I still don’t know how the platform algorithm directs traffic to our gigs. That information isn’t available anywhere, as far as I’ve been able to determine. It could all be happening behind the curtain of the mighty and powerful Oz for all I know! 😀

Thank you @danno1950

It’s nice to be recognised by a veteran like yourself! 4 years is amazing. Well done.

And may the algorithm long be unknown by us mere mortals so that no one can manipulate it! 🙂

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations on your early success, @denton11. That’s a great thing!

I’ve been working on Fiverr for 4 years now, and I still don’t know how the platform algorithm directs traffic to our gigs. That information isn’t available anywhere, as far as I’ve been able to determine. It could all be happening behind the curtain of the mighty and powerful Oz for all I know! 😀

I still don’t know how the platform algorithm directs traffic to our gigs

Seriously, This is such a mystery. Even if the gigs are showing at the top and everything is going fine, you don’t get new orders.

Thank you @danno1950

It’s nice to be recognised by a veteran like yourself! 4 years is amazing. Well done.

And may the algorithm long be unknown by us mere mortals so that no one can manipulate it! 🙂

You’re very welcome! Glad to honor your accomplishments!

Thanks for honoring my accomplishments - I started without thinking much would happen, and Fiverr has greatly exceeded my expectations. Even with the frustrating things like this drought thing that happen occasionally.

Yup - if no one can figure out the algorithm, no one can manipulate it. I just hope the developers know the effects of the changes they make. 🙂

Seriously, This is such a mystery. Even if the gigs are showing at the top and everything is going fine, you don’t get new orders.

Yes, it is a mystery. I’m not convinced the developers haven’t lost control of the algorithm. I keep seeing unintended consequences like you’re talking about.

Even if the gigs are showing at the top and everything is going fine, you don’t get new orders.

What you see is not always what other people see as far as where your gigs appear.

Love the glass half full approach. But I think the problem is that Fiverr is no longer spending as much marketing dollars as they used to do. And rightly so, because there are less freelancers marketing their services. Everybody depends on Fiverr traffic. And there are more operational expenses (as a big company). So, depending on Fiverr for orders is like waiting for rain. It could, it might. I prefer to take the bull by the horn. My Fiverr account has gotten very little traction but I started testing out some promotion ideas. The first idea is showing signs of life. Will probably give an update in a post if it works. But this marketing via trial and error is important. Long term, I don’t even plan to receive work through Fiverr. I’ll just use my email and Paypal directly while I have Fiverr to show some professional front.

so true. I wonder if the marketplace saturated so quickly that the issue is, like you said, sustainability @denton11

When you think from the buyer’s perspective, the site is much like flipping through a physical catalogue to shop for items: they skip to the category they want, then the first results are the ones they’ll likely go with, and the remaining pages will get skipped over. This is how ranking on Google works. Everyone fights to be on the first page.

Well, if sellers are viewed as workhorses, fiverr must strategically allocate its results page to as many ‘stallions’ as it can, while suppressing the ‘ponies’. But also keep the carousel spinning to give others a chance.

In some categories, the barrier of entry is lower, so the ponies very quickly become stallions and we have a saturation problem. Only thing left to do is raise the bar, forcing the stallions to suddenly become ponies who fight for the next level of status (TRS, Pro Seller, etc).

Google evolved similarly. At first it was the wild west. Anyone could stuff keywords and rank. Then Google caught on to that, and raised the bar. Bloggers had to start writing longer articles. Then the bar was raised again: now they had to also include lengthy videos. Then they had to be “authorities”. Then they needed seniority.

It’s the sustainability problem, for sure.

Good stuff, denton11 👍

Google evolved similarly. At first it was the wild west. Anyone could stuff keywords and rank. Then Google caught on to that, and raised the bar. Bloggers had to start writing longer articles. Then the bar was raised again: now they had to also include lengthy videos. Then they had to be “authorities”.

By “authorities” do you mean pagerank? Wasn’t pagerank always part of google? According to Wikipedia, Pagerank was developed by the Google founders in 1996 before Google was launched (1998) and it was described in a paper describing it and the initial prototype of the Google search engine was published in 1998.

Google evolved similarly. At first it was the wild west. Anyone could stuff keywords and rank. Then Google caught on to that, and raised the bar. Bloggers had to start writing longer articles. Then the bar was raised again: now they had to also include lengthy videos. Then they had to be “authorities”.

By “authorities” do you mean pagerank? Wasn’t pagerank always part of google? According to Wikipedia, Pagerank was developed by the Google founders in 1996 before Google was launched (1998) and it was described in a paper describing it and the initial prototype of the Google search engine was published in 1998.

an authority is someone with expertise. Lots of knowledge. The “go-to” person.

an authority is someone with expertise. Lots of knowledge. The “go-to” person.

Yes but surely the idea behind pagerank is that the “authority” sites are ranked higher. ie. for the most part, the linking structure of sites (used by the pagerank algorithm), which sites link from and to which others and how many should automatically determine the “authority” of a site. eg. if thousands of ordinary sites link to site A as a reference, site A becomes an authority site and ranked higher.

Yes but surely the idea behind pagerank is that the “authority” sites are ranked higher. ie. for the most part, the linking structure of sites (used by the pagerank algorithm), which sites link from and to which others and how many should automatically determine the “authority” of a site. eg. if thousands of ordinary sites link to site A as a reference, site A becomes an authority site and ranked higher.

what I was conveying with my google results page analogy was that bloggers have been forced to level-up their skills in order to remain competitive. It correlates with fiverr, since way back in the beginning, most sellers had to merely deliver all the orders they received and were earning full-time income. Then fiverr raised the bar in tandem with incoming competition. Today, all the Top-Rated Sellers had their rank downgraded to Level 2 and are scrambling to pay their bills (with no back-up job. They went ‘all in’ on fiverr. Big mistake to put all eggs in that basket). Currently, the bar was ratcheted once more to the extent that there’s a new rank invented called Pro Seller. All current TRS’ will have to contend with Pro Sellers until that status becomes saturated and the whole cycle repeats.

• 2 weeks later...

What is up with this summer drought, guys just because it is summer in your country, does not mean it is summer elsewhere?? People are buying all over the world?? :crazy_face: Don’t let a minor setback discourage you from not getting any sells. I think Fiverr is trying to give New sellers and Level-1 sellers a chance to pick up by clients as well. I think this is the reason why so many sellers have problems with selling their gigs at the moment. I think it is fair!!

Warmly, Humberto

yes but it is not the single scnerio many scnerio should also occur like summer holidays.

Archived