Affiliate Marketing Basics for Beginners

• 2 weeks later...

I am wondering, is there any drawback in affiliate marketing? :thinking:

, is there any drawback in affiliate marketing?

Here are some takes on the downsides to it:

1. There are certain situations when even most reputable companies’ tracking links may not work properly, that raises the possibility of loosing your commissions!

2. Cookies links may affect your commission, especially when you are not sure with the fact that some companies use first cookie links and others use last cookies links. So, even after persuading someone potential, commission could end up going to another affiliate business or to the company itself

3. When companies are in trouble with financial condition, you end up loosing your commissions

4. Promoting rubbish products or services may also ruin your affiliate reputation.

• Like 2

, is there any drawback in affiliate marketing?

Here are some takes on the downsides to it:

1. There are certain situations when even most reputable companies’ tracking links may not work properly, that raises the possibility of loosing your commissions!

2. Cookies links may affect your commission, especially when you are not sure with the fact that some companies use first cookie links and others use last cookies links. So, even after persuading someone potential, commission could end up going to another affiliate business or to the company itself

3. When companies are in trouble with financial condition, you end up loosing your commissions

4. Promoting rubbish products or services may also ruin your affiliate reputation.

Indebted to you for such a great article.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am wondering, is there any drawback in affiliate marketing? :thinking:

Yes. There can be. First, different brands you run ads for might impose restrictions on where and how you are allowed to place affiliate marketing links. One brand I work with states clearly that a site must not be in “coming soon” mode, etc.

Affiliate ads and links can also be a nightmare when it comes to compliance with Internet privacy laws like GDPR.

• Your privacy policy needs to make it clear to users how to identify links/ads and what privacy implications there are in clicking these.
  • Some ads will set tracking cookies in user web browsers as soon as a person visits your website. This is a big privacy no. In this case, you have to find ways round this.
  • You have to consider the fact that by running affiliate ads, you may be considered a data controller in the eyes of the law (at least in the EU).
  • It is important to support brands you can trust and which you believe can legitimately offer value to your site visitors. i.e. I was recently approached by a brand which after doing some research, I found had a very shady reputation.

In short, do go all in on affiliate marketing. However, do also know that it is a bit more complicated in practice than just posting links and ads everywhere.

Nice article and very good information

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...