How do some sellers make a living with such low prices?

kholland65

Most freelancers charge around $1 per 1000 words for beta reading, don’t they? I see that’s basically what you’re charging.

I wonder how that seller is able to undercut the market by such a significant amount. Retired? Ex-pat living in a ridiculously cheap country? Millionaire doing it for fun?

I’d love to know. I’d be tempted to hire them in order to see if they’re cutting corners somehow.

I’ve thought a lot about this, too. The people in this forum have made great points (that maybe the seller is new and building a reputation, maybe they’ve found a way to automate the process, etc), but there are some low-priced gigs that boggle my mind.

For example, one of my direct Fiverr competitors sells a full beta read of a 50,000-word novel for $10. They are a Level One seller and have extraordinary reviews saying how thorough their feedback is. It would take me at least 25 hours to do something like that, and even if I love what I do (and I do love it), earning $10 for 25 hours of work is ridiculous. I just can’t compete with that. And it sucks. 😕

These are the types of situations I’m talking about. There are people in my line of working offering $5 for something that would take 6-10hrs. I can’t think of a single good reason anyone would agree a price that is so ridiculously low. You’re basically working for free at that point.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve thought a lot about this, too. The people in this forum have made great points (that maybe the seller is new and building a reputation, maybe they’ve found a way to automate the process, etc), but there are some low-priced gigs that boggle my mind.

For example, one of my direct Fiverr competitors sells a full beta read of a 50,000-word novel for $10. They are a Level One seller and have extraordinary reviews saying how thorough their feedback is. It would take me at least 25 hours to do something like that, and even if I love what I do (and I do love it), earning $10 for 25 hours of work is ridiculous. I just can’t compete with that. And it sucks. 😕

I mean… just outsource all your work to him. Sure, you will sell less than him, but it will be free money for you with no time investment.

Maybe they have 50 intros already in a file they send without modifying them.

Maybe they have 50 intros already in a file they send without modifying them

That won’t be the case because they ask for the buyer’s logo to use in the intros. So they’d have to render all 50 logo videos with the buyer’s logo each time, and it’s not a simple overlay of the logo. They’ll probably have a network of machines to render on and maybe software to render multiple frames simultaneously on machines.

edit: There is 1 selling 50 for $5 and I don’t really see how they’d make much, if any profit from it really. Surely machine costs+software costs+electricity+internet to create all 50 won’t leave much profit from the $4 they’d get from the $5 order?

• 1 year later...

Open Market, a like open economy! Competition a HUGE out of WW gigs sellers aground the globe.

Their Currencies are different $5 remittance might be worthy and awesome for some one.

Living standard also different… so we have to honor all about.

Reasons why this is a GREAT MARKET PLACE!

Best wishes for all…

Archived