What I Thought Was Going To Be My First Client

pauldadude

Hey guys,

Let me tell you a story about how I thought I was going to make my first sale, only to end up empty-handed.

So there I was, I’ve created my first gig on Fiverr, ready to attract the first client at any moment. I’ve been patiently waiting for about a week before I finally received a message from someone who was interested. At first glance, I grew a little suspicious of this buyer. They said they will offer $50-$100 a month if I helped them. As a person who was just starting out, this seemed too good to be true, but I asked them to elaborate on what they need me to work on. The buyer then says that it would be better to talk about it further via email. Of course, I refused to provide my email as I knew that this would go against Fiverr’s TOS. Eventually, they stopped responding to me as I persisted in refusing to provide other contact information. 😞

So that’s my story. I didn’t make my first sale today unfortunately, but I’m glad I didn’t give in and do something I would regret later 😁

Buyers who promise a fixed amount of money per month and then ask you your email ID or ask you to contact them off Fiverr are almost always scammers.

They usually target new sellers (gullible/desperate) as they probably think new sellers make easier targets.

You did a good job not falling for their scam. I hope that you soon get an honest buyer. 🙂

Buyers who promise a fixed amount of money per month and then ask you your email ID or ask you to contact them off Fiverr are almost always scammers.

They usually target new sellers (gullible/desperate) as they probably think new sellers make easier targets.

You did a good job not falling for their scam. I hope that you soon get an honest buyer. 🙂

That’s useful to know.

Thank you for the heads-up. 😁

And yes, I too hope that one day I come across an actual buyer 🙂

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest rjr_designs

This exact same thing happened to me yesterday, it was to promote as scam though. They sent a wordfile with instructions. But I completely ignored it 😄

I had that happen to me yesterday! @bovaird

This exact same thing happened to me yesterday, it was to promote as scam though. They sent a wordfile with instructions. But I completely ignored it 😄

They sent a wordfile

Be careful, *.doc, *.docm can harm your PC if they contained macros. So, if you have 1% suspicion of a buyer that they might be a scammer, do not download their sent files.

I’ve been here about a month and I’ve had it happen at least five times. I’m really disappointed that Fiverr can’t even keep these scammers out for the 20% cut they take of our earnings. It’s a huge waste of time for me to try to reply ASAP, often at odd hours because the “client” is from out of the country, only to be confronted with one of those “please sell me your account” word documents.

• 6 months later...

Archived