Potential getting out of paying?

amylancaster

Hey fam. Been selling blog writing gigs on here for about a month, and it’s been going super well - lots of great new and repeat clients, and perfect reviews.

I get a message inquiry from a customer and throughout our conversation, noticed many red flags. “Do you think you can handle this?” “Okay, I’ll put you to the test :)” and condescending things like that. Nevertheless, I had no reason not to accept his order.

Few days go by, and I deliver. During this time if I had a question or contacted him, he would make a snarky comment about how it was late so he will answer me tomorrow (he’s 8 hours ahead of me, so I’d send a message at 2pm, and he’d comment on how late it was…at 10pm his time…is that super late?)

Finally deliver my article, and - even though I had this suspicion I was still caught off guard - he said I did a terrible job. I had sentences that were too long, and I made things up about the product. He referenced a specific example, to which I was able to copy and paste verbatim from his product info document he gave me where I got this info. He disputed the order, and I agreed to it just to get him off my back.

I didn’t do anything different from my other work, and I have all great reviews and happy customers until this guy. Is he a troll? Should I expect to see my article on his product site? Has anyone else had an experience like this?

Like I said, I was kind of suspicious of him the entire time, but it still sucks. I hate letting people down.

Hey fam. Been selling blog writing gigs on here for about a month, and it’s been going super well - lots of great new and repeat clients, and perfect reviews.

I get a message inquiry from a customer and throughout our conversation, noticed many red flags. “Do you think you can handle this?” “Okay, I’ll put you to the test :)” and condescending things like that. Nevertheless, I had no reason not to accept his order.

Few days go by, and I deliver. During this time if I had a question or contacted him, he would make a snarky comment about how it was late so he will answer me tomorrow (he’s 8 hours ahead of me, so I’d send a message at 2pm, and he’d comment on how late it was…at 10pm his time…is that super late?)

Finally deliver my article, and - even though I had this suspicion I was still caught off guard - he said I did a terrible job. I had sentences that were too long, and I made things up about the product. He referenced a specific example, to which I was able to copy and paste verbatim from his product info document he gave me where I got this info. He disputed the order, and I agreed to it just to get him off my back.

I didn’t do anything different from my other work, and I have all great reviews and happy customers until this guy. Is he a troll? Should I expect to see my article on his product site? Has anyone else had an experience like this?

Like I said, I was kind of suspicious of him the entire time, but it still sucks. I hate letting people down.

He disputed the order, and I agreed to it just to get him off my back.

So, you voluntarily let him have your work for free?

Should I expect to see my article on his product site?

It is possible, although, it would also be illegal. But, on the other hand, you did let him keep the work for free. You might have a case for legal action against the buyer (i.e., a cease and desist), but that might be more trouble than it’s worth.

Never cancel an order in which you have already completed quality work.

He disputed the order, and I agreed to it just to get him off my back.

So, you voluntarily let him have your work for free?

Should I expect to see my article on his product site?

It is possible, although, it would also be illegal. But, on the other hand, you did let him keep the work for free. You might have a case for legal action against the buyer (i.e., a cease and desist), but that might be more trouble than it’s worth.

Never cancel an order in which you have already completed quality work.

I definitely agree with you, and unfortunately it’s hard to avoid this with a writing gig, because they have to see it and review it for revisions before completing the work. Unless you can think of another way to deliver a draft without actually giving them the file before completion? I’m still trying to figure out a way.

I agreed to the dispute just to get him out of my life, but if comes down to any suing or anything in the future, I’ve kept all our discussions. I don’t think it will, but it still just rubs me the wrong way.

I definitely agree with you, and unfortunately it’s hard to avoid this with a writing gig, because they have to see it and review it for revisions before completing the work. Unless you can think of another way to deliver a draft without actually giving them the file before completion? I’m still trying to figure out a way.

I agreed to the dispute just to get him out of my life, but if comes down to any suing or anything in the future, I’ve kept all our discussions. I don’t think it will, but it still just rubs me the wrong way.

unfortunately it’s hard to avoid this with a writing gig, because they have to see it and review it for revisions before completing the work

It shouldn’t be hard at all. Do a great job according to the order details, and deliver the final written work that you were hired to do. If the buyer then wants changes, they’ll ask for a revision. There is absolutely no reason to cancel an order after delivery. Revise it according to the number of revisions you offer, and then say no to further “free” demands. When your work is done, you deserve to get paid for it.

unfortunately it’s hard to avoid this with a writing gig, because they have to see it and review it for revisions before completing the work

It shouldn’t be hard at all. Do a great job according to the order details, and deliver the final written work that you were hired to do. If the buyer then wants changes, they’ll ask for a revision. There is absolutely no reason to cancel an order after delivery. Revise it according to the number of revisions you offer, and then say no to further “free” demands. When your work is done, you deserve to get paid for it.

Hmm. I suppose I agree to an extent - I did include revisions in his package but he wasn’t interested in revisions at all.

I guess I should have fought harder for my money, but I just acted in the moment. Lesson learned!

Hmm. I suppose I agree to an extent - I did include revisions in his package but he wasn’t interested in revisions at all.

I guess I should have fought harder for my money, but I just acted in the moment. Lesson learned!

On the plus side, now you’ll know what to do in future situations like this. 🙂

Hi @amylancaster

If you need to send drafts to your buyers, do it as an only read PDF file passworded and watermarked. In that way, they won’t be able to copy/paste the content or gain access to make any kind of changes.

This doesn’t mean they can’t copy it but they’ll have to do it by hand so it will discourage anyone of doing it.

To me this buyer sounds like he knew what he was doing all the way through and was intending to cancel from the start.
The initial condescension and suggesting he was “putting you to the test” are things that I wouldn’t let stand if they were said to me to be honest. Note, I am always polite but when someone throws things like that in I tend to be straight with them about my ability and in a thinly veiled way, suggest that their $20 is not really as important to me as they seem to think it is. I am an experienced professional, not someone who is going to put up with the silly whims of a control freak/overly self-important little dude with his “big job”.

Sometimes I might lose a sale if they think I have an attitude problem or whatever.
I do have an attitude problem I guess, a problem with their attitude.

Hi @amylancaster

If you need to send drafts to your buyers, do it as an only read PDF file passworded and watermarked. In that way, they won’t be able to copy/paste the content or gain access to make any kind of changes.

This doesn’t mean they can’t copy it but they’ll have to do it by hand so it will discourage anyone of doing it.

Ah this is genius. Thank you!

To me this buyer sounds like he knew what he was doing all the way through and was intending to cancel from the start.

The initial condescension and suggesting he was “putting you to the test” are things that I wouldn’t let stand if they were said to me to be honest. Note, I am always polite but when someone throws things like that in I tend to be straight with them about my ability and in a thinly veiled way, suggest that their $20 is not really as important to me as they seem to think it is. I am an experienced professional, not someone who is going to put up with the silly whims of a control freak/overly self-important little dude with his “big job”.

Sometimes I might lose a sale if they think I have an attitude problem or whatever.

I do have an attitude problem I guess, a problem with their attitude.

I had that same thought, so I’m glad someone else picked up on it. I am terrible with confrontation, but unfortunately in the freelance world, you gotta have thick skin. This is one way to build it up, right? 🙂

I had that same thought, so I’m glad someone else picked up on it. I am terrible with confrontation, but unfortunately in the freelance world, you gotta have thick skin. This is one way to build it up, right? 🙂 When someone rubs you up the wrong way it’s ok to react as long as you are still professional about it. Some of my best clients started like that and we built a mutual respect. It should be remembered that some buyers have every right to be cautious about buying here as they may have experimented before and got rubbish.

By clearly stating your ability and professionally defending yourself you will stand out and certain buyers will appreciate and value it. McDonald’s customer service will fold and give the customer what they want if they kick up enough; an artisan usually won’t.

I had that same thought, so I’m glad someone else picked up on it. I am terrible with confrontation, but unfortunately in the freelance world, you gotta have thick skin. This is one way to build it up, right? 🙂

I am terrible with confrontation, but unfortunately in the freelance world, you gotta have thick skin.

As a freelancer, being able to confidently say, “No”, will be one of your most valuable growth skills. When you build a reputation as someone who refuses to let bad sellers take advantage of you, those bad sellers will start to avoid you.

If someone starts off right away with trying to let you know they think they are superior to you, or giving you a hard time and being unpleasant from the start, and they are suspecting from the start they won’t like what they get, and you are put on notice they are “testing” you they are letting you know they will not like what they get and will cause problems. These people are mentally ill.

So your choice is to cancel immediately or do the work and have them cancel it or at least try to. Personally, I do the job and do not allow them to cancel.

I’m dealing with the same thing, in my case I work with music production and sound engineering, and had this ghost buyer who bought the most expensive gig I have without any previous contact.

I decided to deliver the job and inmediately he said it wasn’t anything he asked for, fortunately I am very methodic, and clear in my gigs and communications with buyers and have been able to remit to his own words and my specifications (to which he agreed) through the whole process and he doesn’t know what else to say to get away with it.

Sadly there are some awful human beens that take advantage of sellers and the blind spots of fiverr’s terms and conditions, trying to get things (and your time and effort) for free.

This is not the first one I meet, but definitively the dumbest and stubborn, he started to use technical arguments without base, and I teach in a university what I apply in my services… you can get a hint of how it ends…

I think the best thing to do is to avoid them since the very begining, but when you already made a quality job and all he wants is to irrespectfully get your product or service for free you need to defend your rights, at the end of the day, the time you dedicated to the project won’t get back if the order is cancelled.

I thing in my case I’ll continue to refuting his skinny arguments until he forget the order for 3 consecutive days.

I’m dealing with the same thing, in my case I work with music production and sound engineering, and had this ghost buyer who bought the most expensive gig I have without any previous contact.

I decided to deliver the job and inmediately he said it wasn’t anything he asked for, fortunately I am very methodic, and clear in my gigs and communications with buyers and have been able to remit to his own words and my specifications (to which he agreed) through the whole process and he doesn’t know what else to say to get away with it.

Sadly there are some awful human beens that take advantage of sellers and the blind spots of fiverr’s terms and conditions, trying to get things (and your time and effort) for free.

This is not the first one I meet, but definitively the dumbest and stubborn, he started to use technical arguments without base, and I teach in a university what I apply in my services… you can get a hint of how it ends…

I think the best thing to do is to avoid them since the very begining, but when you already made a quality job and all he wants is to irrespectfully get your product or service for free you need to defend your rights, at the end of the day, the time you dedicated to the project won’t get back if the order is cancelled.

I thing in my case I’ll continue to refuting his skinny arguments until he forget the order for 3 consecutive days.

I’ve been reading here and there that some sellers include that they won’t work with customers who do not contact them prior to ordering. I’m considering adding that to my gigs.

That sounds very frustrating! It’s hard to deliver when the customer doesn’t give you any info, and even worse when they complain after. Good on you for sticking to your guns!

I’ve been reading here and there that some sellers include that they won’t work with customers who do not contact them prior to ordering. I’m considering adding that to my gigs.

That sounds very frustrating! It’s hard to deliver when the customer doesn’t give you any info, and even worse when they complain after. Good on you for sticking to your guns!

That would be a really helpful tool,

Did you found any instructions on how to activate that option?

After the 3rd day, it starts to be fun. 😂

That would be a really helpful tool,

Did you found any instructions on how to activate that option?

After the 3rd day, it starts to be fun. 😂

I don’t think there’s an actual feature - you just have to put it in your description unfortunately 😕

Please remove the buyer’s name. It is against Forum rules to call a buyer out. 😉

Archived