8 things I learned as a seller on Fiverr

avstauffenberg

This thread gets me thinking. A good thing. Thinking about price. The idea that price competition to the exclusion of all other criteria is bad for everyone, sellers and buyers, does make sense. Still, I can understand how to many it might seem counter intuitive. Bonus question…what economist first proposed this idea? I thought it might be Adam Smith.

Anyway - I price for my time and the unique quality and nature of my work. Apples and Oranges. Art is especially NOT a commodity. Reliability and Professionalism and unique art is only worth the premium price to experienced buyers. They’ve been down the rat hole of “bargain” pricing and have no trouble paying in advance for headache relief.

The thread got me thinking about what I want out of Fiverr over the long term. I do NOT want a series of hit and run buyers. I DO want customers who have projects and need team members to realize them. If they are happy they’ll have another project next year and think of me. It will take a while but the $5 hustle does little for me or (in the long term) for Fiverr. I suspect that the “Pro” category is a recognition of this.

It will take a while but the $5 hustle does little for me or (in the long term) for Fiverr.

I gave years to selling on fiverr for $5 and it has paid off now in having a great reputation. I actually saw someone mention me on a site talking about sellers on fiverr saying I was the most reputable seller in my category.

Lots of my $5 clients were not hit and run clients but came back for years in some cases.

A sizable percentage of my clients are repeat clients. So even for excellent sellers, bargain pricing is needed at first until you are established in most cases. You may know you are professional, talented and reliable, but how do your potential buyers know that if you have very few reviews and are new?

It will take a while but the $5 hustle does little for me or (in the long term) for Fiverr.

I gave years to selling on fiverr for $5 and it has paid off now in having a great reputation. I actually saw someone mention me on a site talking about sellers on fiverr saying I was the most reputable seller in my category.

Lots of my $5 clients were not hit and run clients but came back for years in some cases.

A sizable percentage of my clients are repeat clients. So even for excellent sellers, bargain pricing is needed at first until you are established in most cases. You may know you are professional, talented and reliable, but how do your potential buyers know that if you have very few reviews and are new?

Points taken - thanks, I am for now going to keep the $25 one price until I have more experience with the mechanics of this site and some external promotion.

continued good luck Misscrystal

This thread gets me thinking. A good thing. Thinking about price. The idea that price competition to the exclusion of all other criteria is bad for everyone, sellers and buyers, does make sense. Still, I can understand how to many it might seem counter intuitive. Bonus question…what economist first proposed this idea? I thought it might be Adam Smith.

Anyway - I price for my time and the unique quality and nature of my work. Apples and Oranges. Art is especially NOT a commodity. Reliability and Professionalism and unique art is only worth the premium price to experienced buyers. They’ve been down the rat hole of “bargain” pricing and have no trouble paying in advance for headache relief.

The thread got me thinking about what I want out of Fiverr over the long term. I do NOT want a series of hit and run buyers. I DO want customers who have projects and need team members to realize them. If they are happy they’ll have another project next year and think of me. It will take a while but the $5 hustle does little for me or (in the long term) for Fiverr. I suspect that the “Pro” category is a recognition of this.

I like your philosophy, Glen. I think it’s best financially and logistically to target those clients who are more likely to appreciate the work, return for more and be easy and pleasurable to deal with. These clients are more likely to think to think objectively and thoughtfully, as well as see your value.

So while targeting in this way may mean fewer orders, the sellers you do get will probably cost less time and energy, plus these buyers are probably more likely to return to buy again, refer you to their friends, etc.

Archived