My story: How I made my first $100,000 on Fiverr

declanmaltman1

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today I reached the 6 figure mark on Fiverr. I want to tell my story to you guys and share some tips on how I achieved it. I’ll try my best to keep it short and sweet.

I first started selling on Fiverr in March 2017. I was a night porter at a hotel so I had plenty of spare time while working to build a side-hustle. I remember getting my first order and how badly I undersold myself. I worked for weeks on this project and only made $300 but thanks to that first order and the great review it gave me, more jobs started flowing in.

After a consistent flow of orders, I made the huge decision to leave my job in October 2017, only 7 months into selling on Fiverr. Probably not the smartest move I made because in the months after leaving my work I had cancellations, then the beginning of 2018 went really dry. Having no job and 100% relying on Fiverr to support my family made me work overtime and build my profile back. Everything paid off in the end and I made $63,000 that year. In my previous job, I was making around £12,000 a year (around $15,000).

My advice for people thinking about leaving their 9-5s is to have enough money saved up for those quiet periods because they do happen. If I didn’t leave my job, I don’t think I would have had the drive to make my gig as successful as it has been. Sometimes the biggest risk in life is to not take any risks IMO.

Another decision I made which I feel helped a lot was when I stopped underselling myself. I am probably the most expensive gig in my niche (apart from the pros). I maxed my prices because I felt the service I offer is worth more than the $995 limit Fiverr gives me. Then since doing so, I get a ton of orders, if not more than what I did when my prices were low.

• List item If you’re new to Fiverr, it’s ok to undersell yourself to get those first orders in and build your great reviews.

• List item Always overdeliver on your gigs. I always throw in a ton of extras the customer wasn’t expecting when delivering my gigs. Things not mentioned in my description. This gives your client a great experience with you and they’ll leave a great review and probably refer you to friends.

• List item Update your clients on a daily bases. I have gigs that go on for over a week, but I always make sure to keep them in the loop by updating them every day on how the project is coming along.

• List item Don’t be too formal. I find it’s better to get to know your client and try and build a rapport with them. Find things you have in common and connect with them on a personal level. Always be yourself.

• List item Always be honest. If you feel you can’t complete a job to your customer’s standards than don’t take the job on. Explain that it’s above your skillset and recommend another Seller who’s more suited. I had a client who came to me wanting this fantastic store created to look like their competitors. It required a ton of coding which I’m not great with. So, I explained that the work is above my skill set and it would require hiring a developer. I recommend a Fiverr seller who is a great dev and also a friend of mine. She was very happy with my honesty, she ended up with an amazing store and she came back to me for all the design work she needed.

• List item Never come across as desperate for the sale. Play it cool. I’ve noticed on quiet periods when I’m actively trying to make a sale, it never happens. But, when I have loads of work on, everyone wants my services. So now when people reach out to me I just chat away to them. Get to know them, have a laugh, stand out and make their experience with you a fun one. The more time they invest in speaking with you, you more chance you’ll have of making the sale.

Fiverr has given me the freedom to work from home and the opportunity to make more money than I ever would have been able to. This platform has its ups and downs but as long as you read over the ToS carefully and abide by them you’ll be just fine. I’m forever grateful for everything Fiverr has done for me.

Finally, I’m going to sharing my sales with you. Hopefully, this will motivate others to go that extra mile for their clients and become free from your 9-5.

List item Always overdeliver on your gigs. I always throw in a ton of extras the customer wasn’t expecting when delivering my gigs. Things not mentioned in my description. This gives your client a great experience with you and they’ll leave a great review and probably refer you to friends.

I really appreciate it.

Always be honest. If you feel you can’t complete a job to your customer’s standards than don’t take the job on

Every seller should focus on it.

The more time they invest in speaking with you, you more chance you’ll have of making the sale.

Thanks for the tip! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

You are awesome @declanmaltman1.You are an inspiration for all sellers who work hard and provide value to the clients.

After all you are your own BOSS.

HONESTY IS THE KEY TO SUCCESS. ❤️

Today I reached the 6 figure mark on Fiverr. I want to tell my story to you guys and share some tips on how I achieved it. I’ll try my best to keep it short and sweet.

I first started selling on Fiverr in March 2017. I was a night porter at a hotel so I had plenty of spare time while working to build a side-hustle. I remember getting my first order and how badly I undersold myself. I worked for weeks on this project and only made $300 but thanks to that first order and the great review it gave me, more jobs started flowing in.

After a consistent flow of orders, I made the huge decision to leave my job in October 2017, only 7 months into selling on Fiverr. Probably not the smartest move I made because in the months after leaving my work I had cancellations, then the beginning of 2018 went really dry. Having no job and 100% relying on Fiverr to support my family made me work overtime and build my profile back. Everything paid off in the end and I made $63,000 that year. In my previous job, I was making around £12,000 a year (around $15,000).

My advice for people thinking about leaving their 9-5s is to have enough money saved up for those quiet periods because they do happen. If I didn’t leave my job, I don’t think I would have had the drive to make my gig as successful as it has been. Sometimes the biggest risk in life is to not take any risks IMO.

Another decision I made which I feel helped a lot was when I stopped underselling myself. I am probably the most expensive gig in my niche (apart from the pros). I maxed my prices because I felt the service I offer is worth more than the $995 limit Fiverr gives me. Then since doing so, I get a ton of orders, if not more than what I did when my prices were low.

• List item If you’re new to Fiverr, it’s ok to undersell yourself to get those first orders in and build your great reviews.

• List item Always overdeliver on your gigs. I always throw in a ton of extras the customer wasn’t expecting when delivering my gigs. Things not mentioned in my description. This gives your client a great experience with you and they’ll leave a great review and probably refer you to friends.

• List item Update your clients on a daily bases. I have gigs that go on for over a week, but I always make sure to keep them in the loop by updating them every day on how the project is coming along.

• List item Don’t be too formal. I find it’s better to get to know your client and try and build a rapport with them. Find things you have in common and connect with them on a personal level. Always be yourself.

• List item Always be honest. If you feel you can’t complete a job to your customer’s standards than don’t take the job on. Explain that it’s above your skillset and recommend another Seller who’s more suited. I had a client who came to me wanting this fantastic store created to look like their competitors. It required a ton of coding which I’m not great with. So, I explained that the work is above my skill set and it would require hiring a developer. I recommend a Fiverr seller who is a great dev and also a friend of mine. She was very happy with my honesty, she ended up with an amazing store and she came back to me for all the design work she needed.

• List item Never come across as desperate for the sale. Play it cool. I’ve noticed on quiet periods when I’m actively trying to make a sale, it never happens. But, when I have loads of work on, everyone wants my services. So now when people reach out to me I just chat away to them. Get to know them, have a laugh, stand out and make their experience with you a fun one. The more time they invest in speaking with you, you more chance you’ll have of making the sale.

Fiverr has given me the freedom to work from home and the opportunity to make more money than I ever would have been able to. This platform has its ups and downs but as long as you read over the ToS carefully and abide by them you’ll be just fine. I’m forever grateful for everything Fiverr has done for me.

Finally, I’m going to sharing my sales with you. Hopefully, this will motivate others to go that extra mile for their clients and become free from your 9-5.

it’s ok to undersell yourself to get those first orders in and build your great reviews

Can’t stress how important this is when you’re just starting out.

Always overdeliver on your gig

YES!!!

Update your clients on a daily bases

Maybe a bit too much?

But maybe that’s because you have a highly personalised job to do.

Amazing man!

I am truly, genuinely happy for you.

That average selling price is amazing!

Keep grinding.

– Arrigo

Wow!!! That’s a great motivational story and AWESOME STATS 😍 I always preferred Fiverr over 9-5 job and your story is another solid proof I have now.

For my greatest surprise, your Avg. Selling price is REALLY high. May I know your niche, please?

Also, May you be more successful in future!

PS: Are you a Top Rated Seller now?

great job! can u give me tips, I’ve just started my account?

I remember you from when you first arrived on the forum around the time you started on Fiverr. I am very impressed with your success. However, I do think it prudent to mention that every good ecommerce site needs an excellent web copy, a catchy tagline, and top-notch product descriptions.

Ideally, you want all of the above search engine optimized. That way you give added value to your buyers. Cough. Cough. Cough. 😉

100%. I have a guy on Fiverr who helps with my product descriptions, blog posts and about us page etc. Is this something you offer as well?

I stand corrected. I encourage all Fiverr users to put their profile web link in their forum profile.

Like you’re doing, I can see you live in Germany and after clicking your link, I see you offer editing and proofreading. Orders can come from forum participation.

I’ll make sure to add it to my profile. I’m not really forum savvy, as you can probably tell lol.

Archived