Tips on How to start as a Freelancer

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as people can understand what you are saying, I wouldn’t worry about your accent deterring prospects.

@humanissocial Well in a perfect world it shouldn’t matter, but from human psychology we know that human nature has alot of hidden biases and sometimes where you’re from can negatively affect your persuasion as well, especially when you’re trying to sell something.

While I am sure that accents can sometimes sound in your favor as well. According to a pew study people with a British accent are thought to be more persuasive and intelligent in general. While if you have a middle eastern accent, you’re thought to be more aggressive and untrustworthy.

So what I’m saying here is to build on your strong suits. 🙂

• Like 6

@humanissocial Well in a perfect world it shouldn’t matter, but from human psychology we know that human nature has alot of hidden biases and sometimes where you’re from can negatively affect your persuasion as well, especially when you’re trying to sell something.

While I am sure that accents can sometimes sound in your favor as well. According to a pew study people with a British accent are thought to be more persuasive and intelligent in general. While if you have a middle eastern accent, you’re thought to be more aggressive and untrustworthy.

So what I’m saying here is to build on your strong suits. 🙂

I know this, thank you. My point is that most people are not going to be surprised you have an accent. It is pretty clear when a seller is not western and maybe not proficient in English. If a buyer has a problem with this, they aren’t going to pursue you in the first place.

• Like 9

I know this, thank you. My point is that most people are not going to be surprised you have an accent. It is pretty clear when a seller is not western and maybe not proficient in English. If a buyer has a problem with this, they aren’t going to pursue you in the first place.

@humanissocial Makes sense, and I get the idea where you’re coming from, but if you do some research you’ll see that alot of professionals from Universities like Duke or Berkley or even almost all on Entrepreneurship suggest you to keep in mind the complementary customer, someone who’s not really a customer but can become one, you need to identify those and try to cater to what makes them go away.

So in summary, yes its really hard if you’re not a westerner, but what I’m saying is just compliment your services, by practicing it a few times and you’d be surprised how well you would do. 😃

I hope this describes the position on where I’m coming from 😊 , let me know what you think.

• Like 7