Fiverr seems to illegally require a copy of my passport

hacktisch

If one company which has your thumb print on file gets hacked, the security of anywhere you use your thumb print can be subverted in seconds.

I didn’t know that, thanks for the tip. I am still hopeful thanks to advances like facial recognition technology, 2-step verifications, etc.

Of course, fear of identity theft hurts business. I’m often uncomfortable shopping outside of Amazon because I’m not sure if some other website is real or a scam.

the risk is very real even with ONLY a copy of ID

So how are you going to make money online? Rover, a dog walking app, asked for references, bank account information (for direct deposit), I had to fill a W9 (tax information), and pay $15 for a background check. I did make $300 from two clients, but that only happened once.

Why not just sign up for identity theft protection? Several companies offer that, and if something bad happens, they will work with the banks, credit cards, get your money back, etc. It costs $10 to $20 a month, might be worth it.

I once applied for something on a site, probably affiliate marketing, and gave all my personal information including ss number, and later realized it was a fake site that just wanted to collect people’s information.

I’d be equally worried about giving anybody a copy of any form of ID.

Interesting what you find if you search for the word ‘passport’ on the forum:

https://forum.fiverr.com/search?q=passport

The first thread that comes up offers a fake document service, complete with email addresses. Should Fiverr be advertising such a service, even if it is on the forum and a bit aged?

if you search for the word ‘passport’ on the forum:

To my knowledge those were forum ads only and were immediately banned from fiverr.com. They are also all dated prior to Discourse when the forum had little filtering capability. It’s too bad that users didn’t (and still haven’t) flagged those. It takes a community to prevent that sort of thing.

ID verification for Fiverr.com could also help prevent this sort of thing from slipping past Trust and Safety and making it on to the main site.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi! Tell me please, how did you solve this situation? the same thing happened to me, I worked for several days on gigs, earned a rating, and now they demand a photo of my passport! But I don't want to give it to them

1 minute ago, iamolya said:

Hi! Tell me please, how did you solve this situation? the same thing happened to me, I worked for several days on gigs, earned a rating, and now they demand a photo of my passport! But I don't want to give it to them

Although this is an old post, I will leave you with an article with more information.

You have to verify your ID in order to continue offering your services on Fiverr. If you don’t do it your account will be restricted and you will not be able to continue offering your services here.

https://www.fiverr.com/support/articles/360010968038-Verifying-your-Identity

44 minutes ago, iamolya said:

now they demand a photo of my passport! But I don't want to give it to them

As it says in the article in the link that @ligiacarvalho posted, you can also use a driver's license or other valid ID. 

44 minutes ago, iamolya said:

Tell me please, how did you solve this situation?

You send Fiverr what they want or you will lose your account. It is that simple. 

@iamolya I just looked for your profile and gig page. It appears Fiverr has stopped showing your gigs. 

10 minutes ago, vickiespencer said:

Как говорится в статье по ссылке, что @ligiacarvalho опубликовано, вы также можете использовать водительские права или другой действительный идентификатор. 

Вы отправляете Fiverr то, что они хотят, иначе вы потеряете свою учетную запись. Это так просто. 

@iamolya Я просто искал твой профиль и страницу с концертами. Похоже, Fiverr перестал показывать ваши выступления. 

I don't have a driver's license or any other document other than my passport. I consider it unfair and dishonest to demand my passport details from me after I have completed several gigs and I am waiting for an opportunity to receive my money. now I have a choice either to lose money for gigs or to send them my passport. they did not warn me that they would need my passport at the moment when I registered on the site! I wouldn't work with them if I knew about such conditions. it's not fair to deceive people like that. I have completed the gigs and I want to get my money. But I just can't do it

13 minutes ago, ligiacarvalho said:

Это указано в Условиях обслуживания, которые вам следует прочитать, прежде чем устанавливать флажок «Я согласен». 

can you provide a screen or a quote of the conditions, where it is indicated that I will need to provide my passport details?

Archived