As Much As I love Writing

emeraldawnn

The last Friday in December saw me put in an application for a county job - something within my powers that I could do. I didn’t think much of it but was hoping somebody in the office would see past the cafeteria job I have at the school and read into the freelancing job details. On Monday, someone reviewed my resume, but I never heard. Of course, it being a holiday the next day, I was still anxious.

On Thursday, I was sent an email that I was invited to an interview for today. So, I put my gigs on vacation mode until the 8th and tried to knock out as much work as I could over the weekend. My interview is at 3 today for a deputy position in the accessor’s office. I’ve been up since 2:45 a.m. polishing up on my resume and references, answering questions to myself about what they could ask and developing my own questions for the job.

If I get this position (and it’s something I really want), I may just use the limit orders in queue function and take on what I can feasibly handle on the weekends.

While I love my job at the school, I’ve never seen myself in that position for the rest of my life. I don’t see myself working factory (though it pays really good here) but something that allowed me to be on computers at all times that doesn’t always involve writing.

Maybe if I get this job, I can finally finish my own novel up.

Fingers crossed. I really want this job!

Guest merciavideo

The last Friday in December saw me put in an application for a county job - something within my powers that I could do. I didn’t think much of it but was hoping somebody in the office would see past the cafeteria job I have at the school and read into the freelancing job details. On Monday, someone reviewed my resume, but I never heard. Of course, it being a holiday the next day, I was still anxious.

On Thursday, I was sent an email that I was invited to an interview for today. So, I put my gigs on vacation mode until the 8th and tried to knock out as much work as I could over the weekend. My interview is at 3 today for a deputy position in the accessor’s office. I’ve been up since 2:45 a.m. polishing up on my resume and references, answering questions to myself about what they could ask and developing my own questions for the job.

If I get this position (and it’s something I really want), I may just use the limit orders in queue function and take on what I can feasibly handle on the weekends.

While I love my job at the school, I’ve never seen myself in that position for the rest of my life. I don’t see myself working factory (though it pays really good here) but something that allowed me to be on computers at all times that doesn’t always involve writing.

Maybe if I get this job, I can finally finish my own novel up.

All the very best! Hoping for some good news later. 🙂

Thanks everyone.

I want to say it went good. I don’t know how the others went, but I showed a genuine interest in the job. Even asking about a situation the office is currently faced with and gave my opinion on the matter. They wanted me to explain my typical day and I told them I tend to wake up early at 2:45 to run my business, and both interviewers were wowed by it.

They asked me if I would continue this business, and I told them I was thinking of using Fiverr’s feature of limit orders in queue. They asked me how many I had currently (I said 8 but in reality it is 11 now 12).

They also asked me about a time I was unhappy with when dealing with a client and I told them about the block a buyer incident I had in December. Told them both that I was unhappy I had to do it; that I tried unsuccessfully to make him understand why I felt it would be best for him to find another seller, but he wasn’t having any of it. I explained thanks to this new feature we’ve been asking for, I felt I had no choice but to finally block him from ordering and messaging me. Said I hated doing it after four years of business but you can only tell someone something so many times before you have had enough.

My interview was to last 30 minutes, starting at 3 and ending at 3:30. I was in before 3 and left at 3:45. Not sure if that makes any big deal, but we were laughing about situations during the interview. I felt I could get along with these women (I only hope they felt the same way).

I had several references for them to call - best friend and boss included - and my best friend of more than 20 years as well. I only hope I get a phone call in the next couple of days. She said she hopes to let people know soon about the job.

Fingers crossed… but if it doesn’t happen, well, it just wasn’t meant to be.

Thanks everyone.

I want to say it went good. I don’t know how the others went, but I showed a genuine interest in the job. Even asking about a situation the office is currently faced with and gave my opinion on the matter. They wanted me to explain my typical day and I told them I tend to wake up early at 2:45 to run my business, and both interviewers were wowed by it.

They asked me if I would continue this business, and I told them I was thinking of using Fiverr’s feature of limit orders in queue. They asked me how many I had currently (I said 8 but in reality it is 11 now 12).

They also asked me about a time I was unhappy with when dealing with a client and I told them about the block a buyer incident I had in December. Told them both that I was unhappy I had to do it; that I tried unsuccessfully to make him understand why I felt it would be best for him to find another seller, but he wasn’t having any of it. I explained thanks to this new feature we’ve been asking for, I felt I had no choice but to finally block him from ordering and messaging me. Said I hated doing it after four years of business but you can only tell someone something so many times before you have had enough.

My interview was to last 30 minutes, starting at 3 and ending at 3:30. I was in before 3 and left at 3:45. Not sure if that makes any big deal, but we were laughing about situations during the interview. I felt I could get along with these women (I only hope they felt the same way).

I had several references for them to call - best friend and boss included - and my best friend of more than 20 years as well. I only hope I get a phone call in the next couple of days. She said she hopes to let people know soon about the job.

Good luck! Hope it all works out!

Thanks everyone.

Good for you for sharing how you would adapt your Fiverr work to prevent it from interfering with your job! That’s smart.

I too have taken a “real” job. I’m still working on big projects for my more successful clients, so won’t be shutting down just yet. It’s been challenging working two or three jobs but the extra cash is good! I hope your new career is a big success too!

No word yesterday. She did say that it could take a couple, if not three, days before I hear anything. I gave myself to the end of the week. If I don’t hear anything but Friday 1:30 - when I get off from the school - I plan on giving them a call. Of course, I suspect by then they would have found someone.

In all honesty, the more days go by, the less confident I am. It’s a mind trick. It’s all in the mind. I know this, but you can’t help but feel defeated if you don’t get the job you really want. This is something I’d really like to have. But, we’ll see.

In the meantime, I have more than enough orders to keep me busy and I plan on hitting the gym from time to time. I won’t lie. I had my phone on me all day yesterday just in case. I’m supposed to keep it in my locker during working hours, but I just couldn’t do it.

I hope to hear something today and my phone will be right on my person all day.

No word yesterday. She did say that it could take a couple, if not three, days before I hear anything. I gave myself to the end of the week. If I don’t hear anything but Friday 1:30 - when I get off from the school - I plan on giving them a call. Of course, I suspect by then they would have found someone.

In all honesty, the more days go by, the less confident I am. It’s a mind trick. It’s all in the mind. I know this, but you can’t help but feel defeated if you don’t get the job you really want. This is something I’d really like to have. But, we’ll see.

In the meantime, I have more than enough orders to keep me busy and I plan on hitting the gym from time to time. I won’t lie. I had my phone on me all day yesterday just in case. I’m supposed to keep it in my locker during working hours, but I just couldn’t do it.

I hope to hear something today and my phone will be right on my person all day.

I remember applying for jobs and how it made me feel. I didn’t like it at all.

I have been on hiring committees before. Rarely did we make our decision the next day.

We usually took time to meet and go over the application, call the references of those we were interested in and then meet with the results to make a decision.

Have any of your references been called? :thinking:

I have been on hiring committees before. Rarely did we make our decision the next day.

We usually took time to meet and go over the application, call the references of those we were interested in and then meet with the results to make a decision.

Have any of your references been called? :thinking:

Nope… she did say it would take a couple of days or three. They were really busy in the office. I can believe it. It’s the first of the year and they have the Lake City office to contend with too.

It’s the end of the week, and I’ve not gotten called. If I haven’t received a notification by the time I’m off of work today at 1:30, I plan on calling them just to see where I stand. As my friends say, maybe I’m meant to stay at the school. Honestly, I wish I could believe that. I’m killing myself doing what I do now, but if it’s what I’m supposed to do… so be it!

It’s the end of the week, and I’ve not gotten called. If I haven’t received a notification by the time I’m off of work today at 1:30, I plan on calling them just to see where I stand. As my friends say, maybe I’m meant to stay at the school. Honestly, I wish I could believe that. I’m killing myself doing what I do now, but if it’s what I’m supposed to do… so be it!

Stay positive and continue to focus on your goals. If not this time, next time. Best wishes your way!

Archived