Buyers not paying for commercial rights

alainawis

In a buyers standpoint this 5-10 prices sounds like a scam a bit. Like telling you can buy a car for 20% but wheels, motor, windows etc ot included. In my standpoint without any mean thoughts here all voice artist who dont include those for free are kinda at that level. Like just think logically. Why on earth somebody would want to pay a voice when nobody listens it? Its like a legal hoop. They are not in love with the voice artists voice.they want to make money with it so its listened . Every version probably most cases is on the internet so by definition these extra 20 dollar checkbox makes no sense. Its like i sell you my voice but in reality you cant use it 99.99% of the cases. I think buyers are kinda not scammed but …see my logic here.After like crying i am a voice artist i want others to use my voice but why they abused it i am like a artist . I think those persons shouldnt sell their voice on any platform. Crying with crocodile tears is like they dont buy my voice with lower price. Sure.Why should they you don’t even sell the 5-10 no license versions is literally useless and you create a win loose situation. At my side I check by default I want to see just those artist who include the licenses on their voice. In my standpoint the others waste my time in a way altering the real prices and such. Like they put their voice there but not at a real price. And if s. hits the fan they saw you because they read 2 sentences and their are such an artist. And I am not mean here at all. I think all voices by default should be with licenses. If you don’t want to sell your voice don’t ell it. or giving the rights to use it in 99% of the cases its like i spam fiverr but actually i don’t sell my voice. And it makes harm to other voice artists as well. Maybe somebody would sell at 10 dollars with rights but you appear with 5 without rights and add 25 dollars with rights. I find it shady and unfair compared to buyers and especially other genuine voice artists. And the problem is not the voice artists but the programs provider like fiverr. They shouldn’t have this option at all.If you sold your voice you sold your voice. If you dont want to sell it than don’t do it. Start a radio show and get listeners and make money with affiliate marketing and such. Just don’t play victim and attach 20 page pdfs with motion picture voice artist copyright acts and such.

In a buyers standpoint this 5-10 prices sounds like a scam a bit.

OK, try this;

Go out in the street. Find a total stranger, and ask if you can take their photo. You’ll probably have to ask a bunch of people, but eventually, someone will be willing, and pose for you.

Show them the picture. Then say to them, “Cool, thanks. By the way, I’m gonna use this photo of you to advertise my new investment management company on websites, YouTube, billboards all over town, that’s cool right?”

Chances are, the person will either say “no”, or they’ll say “how much do I get paid for you to use that picture of me?”

That’s Commercial Rights. You wanna use a part of me to endorse your product or service (for VO people, our voice), then we’re going to charge a nominal fee to do so. The fact that most people don’t know my voice is irrelevant - it’s still personal to me, so I’m going to charge a bit more for it, just like a photo of someone is personal to them.

You might think this is unfair, and honestly, as a VO person, I have no issue with you thinking that way, I’m not going to try and convert you. I’m just telling you how it works. The VO industry has been doing this for a long time, and will continue to do so for a long time.

I think all voices by default should be with licenses.

Ours actually come with Commercial Rights. Some VO people do this, to avoid having to get into arguments. We made our base-cost higher because of this. We charge more for Broadcast Rights, wherever that is applicable. We make this as clear as Fiverr will allow in our gig description, and explain it to all clients when they enquire about a price.

And the problem is not the voice artists but the programs provider like fiverr. They shouldn’t have this option at all.

The industry has this option, not specifically Fiverr. Fiverr actually make obtaining a voice over cheaper than you could possibly imagine. If you don’t believe me, google the term ‘voice over agency’ or ‘voice over website’, and reach out to some of those to cost up your project. I guarantee you’ll be back to Fiverr when you realise that a 2-line text via an agency costs hundreds, if not thousands of dollars.

In a buyers standpoint this 5-10 prices sounds like a scam a bit.

OK, try this;

Go out in the street. Find a total stranger, and ask if you can take their photo. You’ll probably have to ask a bunch of people, but eventually, someone will be willing, and pose for you.

Show them the picture. Then say to them, “Cool, thanks. By the way, I’m gonna use this photo of you to advertise my new investment management company on websites, YouTube, billboards all over town, that’s cool right?”

Chances are, the person will either say “no”, or they’ll say “how much do I get paid for you to use that picture of me?”

That’s Commercial Rights. You wanna use a part of me to endorse your product or service (for VO people, our voice), then we’re going to charge a nominal fee to do so. The fact that most people don’t know my voice is irrelevant - it’s still personal to me, so I’m going to charge a bit more for it, just like a photo of someone is personal to them.

You might think this is unfair, and honestly, as a VO person, I have no issue with you thinking that way, I’m not going to try and convert you. I’m just telling you how it works. The VO industry has been doing this for a long time, and will continue to do so for a long time.

I think all voices by default should be with licenses.

Ours actually come with Commercial Rights. Some VO people do this, to avoid having to get into arguments. We made our base-cost higher because of this. We charge more for Broadcast Rights, wherever that is applicable. We make this as clear as Fiverr will allow in our gig description, and explain it to all clients when they enquire about a price.

And the problem is not the voice artists but the programs provider like fiverr. They shouldn’t have this option at all.

The industry has this option, not specifically Fiverr. Fiverr actually make obtaining a voice over cheaper than you could possibly imagine. If you don’t believe me, google the term ‘voice over agency’ or ‘voice over website’, and reach out to some of those to cost up your project. I guarantee you’ll be back to Fiverr when you realise that a 2-line text via an agency costs hundreds, if not thousands of dollars.

I dont have problems like making money with a voice and charging for it like an artis. But for me its like strange paying the 5$ thans saying youc nat use it. Its like the example you sad however its not the same. Its like a stranger staying on the road witha billboard saying. You can take a picture with me for 5$ …and than after you take the picture they say. Ok you took the picture but you cant use it you neded this and that rights. That;s the problem. They should say on billboard the total strangers you can make a picture with me 200$ with commercial license. So nobody would even bother to stop to waste time to even consider their vice. They would go to somebody who is ata fair price in between a they have the rights already. Because that;s the problem in your version they dont give the permission to ed the text. So they should read the text for free because you cant use it. Why to pay something that you cant use.Common sense. Meanwhile checking out amazon poly and ibm watson. I might tell not for now but lets say in half a decade you wont be able to differentiate not human voice but the best voice artists from a.i. Now it might have errors here and there but give it 4 years it will be flawless free and no copyright acts. Probably it will be a few pennies interacting with customers on your website. The way fiverr broke traditional voice artist l lowoering the price …a.i. will put out of work most of the persons. Like if we think about it its price quality ratio. When you cant distingush the 2 in 5 years. Sure its a place for the best. But the rest? I might consider switching now because most jobs will like vanish not in decades but years. And I am not a mean person here. I am nota computer my work might be replaced as well. But we need to prepare so our future is secured. And yes probably I will chose Ai. It does it in on the spot with endless variants and lengths …and its quite good. Dont hate the messenger hate the message. Try amzon poly or like ibm watson. I was blown away. Sure not perfect but in 3 years? Be it 5. And again I am not a hater here just consider this in the long run.

I dont have problems like making money with a voice and charging for it like an artis. But for me its like strange paying the 5$ thans saying youc nat use it. Its like the example you sad however its not the same. Its like a stranger staying on the road witha billboard saying. You can take a picture with me for 5$ …and than after you take the picture they say. Ok you took the picture but you cant use it you neded this and that rights. That;s the problem. They should say on billboard the total strangers you can make a picture with me 200$ with commercial license. So nobody would even bother to stop to waste time to even consider their vice. They would go to somebody who is ata fair price in between a they have the rights already. Because that;s the problem in your version they dont give the permission to ed the text. So they should read the text for free because you cant use it. Why to pay something that you cant use.Common sense. Meanwhile checking out amazon poly and ibm watson. I might tell not for now but lets say in half a decade you wont be able to differentiate not human voice but the best voice artists from a.i. Now it might have errors here and there but give it 4 years it will be flawless free and no copyright acts. Probably it will be a few pennies interacting with customers on your website. The way fiverr broke traditional voice artist l lowoering the price …a.i. will put out of work most of the persons. Like if we think about it its price quality ratio. When you cant distingush the 2 in 5 years. Sure its a place for the best. But the rest? I might consider switching now because most jobs will like vanish not in decades but years. And I am not a mean person here. I am nota computer my work might be replaced as well. But we need to prepare so our future is secured. And yes probably I will chose Ai. It does it in on the spot with endless variants and lengths …and its quite good. Dont hate the messenger hate the message. Try amzon poly or like ibm watson. I was blown away. Sure not perfect but in 3 years? Be it 5. And again I am not a hater here just consider this in the long run.

I mean, if your doom and gloom story about the demise of the VO industry is to be taken seriously, surely us VO people need to get all the money we can now? Before we’re all forced out of business by AI? :man_shrugging:t2:

I mean, if your doom and gloom story about the demise of the VO industry is to be taken seriously, surely us VO people need to get all the money we can now? Before we’re all forced out of business by AI? :man_shrugging:t2:

sorry i dont want to be gloomy and I am not praised witha great voice. So I havenothing but respect about what you guys do. and its not just a voice. honey has the most beautfiul female vice ever however reading stuff and empasazing on it on diffrent sytles and tones its art. So again. If you where like I look down own anybody. Sorry about confusion. Voce artist are trilly artist.However not just you guys bit everybody else should take in consideration ai is catching up.and today is the day when I realized that these programs are maybe better than 1/3 of the fiver voices. They are reliable and dont argue. My question is the other 1/3 will be passed in 3 or 5 years or when. sure the first few will strive. But what the rest. the 70% will do. Lowering their price wont be an option. Ai already does a better job than the end of the list. Its not a gloomy thing. And ina financial standpoint like look. Maybe I need a 30 second youtube commercial. That would cost 20 bucks. When you have maybe 10 split test thats 200 dollars. So you rather have 90% of the quality or 80 and limitless trys till you hit the jackpot copy than do just 1 voicover maybe. Dont know here but the things change quite fast. And even so be it 20 or 10 dollars or 200 dollars for 30 seconds. The problem is its written there 5 and you pay 4-5 times more. So creates a confusion and bad taste in the buyers mouth because things where not upfront and clear. Sure it writes when you scroll down 5 pages. But on the headline you just see the misleading 5 bucks. You need to search for check-boxes and read pdfs. For 25 dollars I make an effort and read it myself :)) Like seriously. 20-40 dollars for a voice if the voice is not Morgan Freeman lookalike or soundalike its a lot of money. Maybe bmw and audi will pay. Instead of making electric cars. But like rest of the population wont pay that money in the long run.

In a buyers standpoint this 5-10 prices sounds like a scam a bit. Like telling you can buy a car for 20% but wheels, motor, windows etc ot included. In my standpoint without any mean thoughts here all voice artist who dont include those for free are kinda at that level. Like just think logically. Why on earth somebody would want to pay a voice when nobody listens it? Its like a legal hoop. They are not in love with the voice artists voice.they want to make money with it so its listened . Every version probably most cases is on the internet so by definition these extra 20 dollar checkbox makes no sense. Its like i sell you my voice but in reality you cant use it 99.99% of the cases. I think buyers are kinda not scammed but …see my logic here.After like crying i am a voice artist i want others to use my voice but why they abused it i am like a artist . I think those persons shouldnt sell their voice on any platform. Crying with crocodile tears is like they dont buy my voice with lower price. Sure.Why should they you don’t even sell the 5-10 no license versions is literally useless and you create a win loose situation. At my side I check by default I want to see just those artist who include the licenses on their voice. In my standpoint the others waste my time in a way altering the real prices and such. Like they put their voice there but not at a real price. And if s. hits the fan they saw you because they read 2 sentences and their are such an artist. And I am not mean here at all. I think all voices by default should be with licenses. If you don’t want to sell your voice don’t ell it. or giving the rights to use it in 99% of the cases its like i spam fiverr but actually i don’t sell my voice. And it makes harm to other voice artists as well. Maybe somebody would sell at 10 dollars with rights but you appear with 5 without rights and add 25 dollars with rights. I find it shady and unfair compared to buyers and especially other genuine voice artists. And the problem is not the voice artists but the programs provider like fiverr. They shouldn’t have this option at all.If you sold your voice you sold your voice. If you dont want to sell it than don’t do it. Start a radio show and get listeners and make money with affiliate marketing and such. Just don’t play victim and attach 20 page pdfs with motion picture voice artist copyright acts and such.

If you sold your voice you sold your voice. If you dont want to sell it than don’t do it.

You do realise that there are people who use it for personal things and they don’t have to pay for commercial rights, right? For example if you are ordering voice over to let’s say congratulate your friend on something then in this case people don’t have to purchase commercial licence.

So you advocating for all VO artists including commercial rights by default is a bit odd.

If you sold your voice you sold your voice. If you dont want to sell it than don’t do it.

You do realise that there are people who use it for personal things and they don’t have to pay for commercial rights, right? For example if you are ordering voice over to let’s say congratulate your friend on something then in this case people don’t have to purchase commercial licence.

So you advocating for all VO artists including commercial rights by default is a bit odd.

I realize , but whats the percentage? Or how many say they use it to their friends and basically they upload it to the internet. Is there a system that acticely searches for your voice and starts a lawsuit?How many hours you or third parties spend daily to protect your copyrighted voice. So in the end of the day persons choose fiverr for one and only reason because the sytem itself its cheaper.

Yesterday I kinda setup ibm ai (not being paid to advertise them) and not being mean. Sent to a few of my friends samples asking should I go with a voice artist or should I use these voices. Except 1 all considered its indistinguishable. Even better than most !!! You guys shouldn’t be offended. Just be aware that most voice artist will be replaced without the blink.

For this project I choose a.i. because its actually better than most of the voices out there. It can read better than most humans. And as I can tell 50% of voice artists are passed as well. Don;t argue here just listen them. Be aware whats happening in your industry. And its free. So i am not even getting a penning explaining it. I just explain so ou guys consider that most jobs will vanish in 3-5 years within this niche.

But for me its like strange paying the 5$ thans saying youc nat use it.

It’s not strange if the seller explicitely says on their Gig that you need to buy commercial rights for an extra fee. If it’s not, and they want to charge you, then this would be a violation of Fiverr’s ToS, as all rights are transferred to you after purchase, unless otherwise specified.

Just saw this:

Sure it writes when you scroll down 5 pages.

Like, come on, dude. Read the ToS. Stop blaming people for your own ignorance.

I dont think I am ignorant. I just say a.i. passed already passed 50% of voice artist in quality. and in 3…5 years in will pass most. The voice has richness in it. And I already choose it over humans. Not because its cheaper like free. But because its actually kinda better than most. Not humans but voice artist. Be aware f that in 3…5 years a.i. will pass most of the artists. Be aware of that.

I dont think I am ignorant. I just say a.i. passed already passed 50% of voice artist in quality. and in 3…5 years in will pass most. The voice has richness in it. And I already choose it over humans. Not because its cheaper like free. But because its actually kinda better than most. Not humans but voice artist. Be aware f that in 3…5 years a.i. will pass most of the artists. Be aware of that.

I had a listen to the 2 AI examples you noted yesterday, preparing myself to be blown away as you’d spoken so highly about them…

They were garbage. I actually laughed when I listened to the Amazon one. Sounded nothing like an actual human speaking.

Things like Siri/Alexa are about as advanced as AI talking get right now, and even they very clearly sound like a robot. 3 to 5 years from now, I agree that you might be able to get a more natural sounding Siri/Alexa for day-to-day use in home speakers… but for speaking over advertisements? Where nuance is needed down to the most minute detail (ie; natural emphasis on specific words, inflections at the end of sentences)? Not in the timeframe you’re talking about, and not to a scale where I, or any other decent VO person would, or should be worried.

Plus, people often want a specific voice. What happens if the client wants my voice, but the AI options available don’t sound enough like me? My minimal fees make working with an actual human way more appealing than trying to shoehorn some AI audio into your project. Perhaps not for everyone… but certainly for enough people to keep me, and many other VO people, happily in business for quite some time to come.

I had a listen to the 2 AI examples you noted yesterday, preparing myself to be blown away as you’d spoken so highly about them…

They were garbage. I actually laughed when I listened to the Amazon one. Sounded nothing like an actual human speaking.

Things like Siri/Alexa are about as advanced as AI talking get right now, and even they very clearly sound like a robot. 3 to 5 years from now, I agree that you might be able to get a more natural sounding Siri/Alexa for day-to-day use in home speakers… but for speaking over advertisements? Where nuance is needed down to the most minute detail (ie; natural emphasis on specific words, inflections at the end of sentences)? Not in the timeframe you’re talking about, and not to a scale where I, or any other decent VO person would, or should be worried.

Plus, people often want a specific voice. What happens if the client wants my voice, but the AI options available don’t sound enough like me? My minimal fees make working with an actual human way more appealing than trying to shoehorn some AI audio into your project. Perhaps not for everyone… but certainly for enough people to keep me, and many other VO people, happily in business for quite some time to come.

https://youtu.be/OGSolyEi86I listen this … sure its not Morgen Freeman now …but. Most my friends with fancy diplomas cant read that well.

https://youtu.be/OGSolyEi86I listen this … sure its not Morgen Freeman now …but. Most my friends with fancy diplomas cant read that well.

https://youtu.be/OGSolyEi86I listen this … sure its not Morgen Freeman now …but.

I mean this in the most respectful way possible, but if you think that sounds believable as a human, you need to spend more time talking to humans.

https://youtu.be/OGSolyEi86I listen this … sure its not Morgen Freeman now …but.

I mean this in the most respectful way possible, but if you think that sounds believable as a human, you need to spend more time talking to humans.

in the most respectful way it is. In 5 years it will be as good as the top of the list. We should put ego down than feeel sorry later. They are thousands of youtube channels with ai voices and makink over 100k and getting millions of views while persons get unemployed and kicked out from factories. I am abeliber here. I might think that ai already reads better than most humans and 40% of voice artist. I actually think that. The market will decide anyways its simple.

in the most respectful way it is. In 5 years it will be as good as the top of the list. We should put ego down than feeel sorry later. They are thousands of youtube channels with ai voices and makink over 100k and getting millions of views while persons get unemployed and kicked out from factories. I am abeliber here. I might think that ai already reads better than most humans and 40% of voice artist. I actually think that. The market will decide anyways its simple.

The market will decide anyways its simple.

This is the one thing you’ve said that I do actually agree with. Fortunately for us, our clients come to us for more than just a voice. They come to us for the relationship we build with them, the understanding of their business and their client market, the customer service that we offer and the human touch to both our product, and our service, all of which are things AI can’t, and won’t be able to offer.

So like I said, we’re not worried. But thanks for your concern about the industry.

They are thousands of youtube channels with ai voices and makink over 100k and getting millions of views while persons get unemployed and kicked out from factories.

Yes, and most of those YouTube channels are low-quality garbage where an AI reads aloud content stolen from other creators. Not really the best measure of quality.

I agree with @cubittaudio. Most buyers need a voice that is actually capable of showing emotions and express nuances. Right now, the only thing I would use an AI voice for would be … to voice an actual robot or AI character in a video game.

They are thousands of youtube channels with ai voices and makink over 100k and getting millions of views while persons get unemployed and kicked out from factories.

Yes, and most of those YouTube channels are low-quality garbage where an AI reads aloud content stolen from other creators. Not really the best measure of quality.

I agree with @cubittaudio. Most buyers need a voice that is actually capable of showing emotions and express nuances. Right now, the only thing I would use an AI voice for would be … to voice an actual robot or AI character in a video game.

I do not agree here. There are many top 10 this and that youtube channels that they have lots of content. Sure you can tel that’s a robot but its ok. Humans having accent or like pausing … searching for ideas to speak is not better at all. In usa some speak like rappers like differently. In case you not born in America its extraordinary hard to understand. And sure now a.i. is not best. Is it not. I just remember few years back ivona was like wow.Now 2 years passed and the video I shared looks like way way better. In 3…5 years I am absolutely sure it will be competitive, Not everywhere but in lots of places.

Right now, the only thing I would use an AI voice for would be … to voice an actual robot or AI character in a video game.

I mean… it’s not the worst thing out there. I have used it before, for example in this video:

But I didn’t know about Fiverr back then, so I used the tools I had available. It’s not bad, but it could certainly be a lot better. Now, if I were to do something like this again, I’d hire someone on Fiverr, probably of scottish origin. 😛

Its quite good. and assume its a few years back. Sure we need to see it in a context not like whats happening. Like your video. Not in topic with video games but that looks quite great !!! Keep up the good work.

I might think that ai already reads better than most humans and 40% of voice artist. I actually think that.

Sure, some people like canned tomato soup and some prefer good old ramen/pozole/borsh (you name it)

And it’s ok if you like AI khm khm canned tomato soup more. 😉 some will even say that it’s the best food in the world.

D9D4E686-BEC9-40BC-BF1A-B1D1C0F941F4.thumb.jpeg.4eae1c13dbb8ee72a16a68d3ec97f494.jpeg
image1096×1083 502 KB
5D7718DF-AD64-4860-9001-DEF935D7434D.thumb.jpeg.891e313087950226c0863bd377e9260f.jpeg
image1079×745 955 KB

• 1 month later...

Archived