Anybody have any tips on handling a language barrier with buyers?

throttled829

Guest tn5rr2012

Why not send the buyer a message and ask him what language she/he speaks, maybe on his profile page it has a small flag for his/her country. Then for all its worth use Google Translate and try and help that way

TN5rr, I’m glad to see you make this suggestion.

There’s an old joke that goes… Do you know what you call someone who can speak or is learning a second language:

Answer Bilingual.

Do you know what you call someone who can speak and understand only one language?

Answer: A Natural Citizen of the USA .

Kinda harsh, but more true than any of us should be okay with admitting.

Being a student now for a few years of Spanish, as a second language, I only have respect for peeps who can struggle though it.

My number one tip is to be really appreciative they trusted you and if necessary get outside help.

Reply to @anarchofighter: Appreciative that they trusted me?

Now that brings up an interesting question. Is Fiverr displayed to them in their language or English? Perhaps that is a really dumb question on my part but honestly, I haven’t considered that before. Is Fiverr.com a multilingual website?

The way I wrote my gig description may be highly dependent upon my use of the English language. Plenty of important detail could be lost in translation if overseas customers are seeing the translated version of what my description says.

If though, the opposite is true and the Fiverr website is displayed in English everywhere, their trust needs to be in their own ability to read the words on the screen prior to purchasing my gig. I certainly have no plans to go learn all the languages of the world to appease every customer that may come across my offer here. Kinda harsh, but true.

Further, I am not sure I appreciate the condescending tone towards me being an English speaking, natural born citizen of the USA. Are you insinuating the difficulty between the customers that I have come across on this site who leave unclear answers to my instructions is somehow my fault? Their answer is displayed to me in broken English that would be difficult to decipher whether I was bilingual or not.

Reply to @tn5rr2012: A logical suggestion, thanks. I did check their profile…no flag. Nothing actually, aside from a few collected gigs similar to mine. No profile picture, no flag, no offers.

Thus far I have gotten no response at all so I am honestly a little leery of straight out asking them what their native language is. Somehow I feel that might come across offensive even though it would be in effort to resolve the issue. Who knows, they might live 10 miles from me.

Bear in mind if English is his native language…he’s fully aware he has communication issues.

And, I have totally respect for your decision not to ask, and tone is hard to convey online. You can ask in a way that sets you off as more fascinated than frustrated sounding and just say, because if it’s not English maybe we can use Google Xlate.

I was thinking exactly the same as the others, prehaps use a translation tool in order to communicate? Or it may be better for your reputation if you kindly tell the buyer that you are not understanding his orders first, I don’t see any problems with saying it politely.

I was thinking exactly the same as the others, prehaps use a translation tool in order to communicate? Or it may be better for your reputation if you kindly tell the buyer that you are not understanding his orders first, I don’t see any problems with saying it politely.

Okay. Although I appreciate the responses you guys have taken the time to type here, I am slightly at a loss on how exactly one would initiate the use of Google translate. Suggest they type a message to me in their own language and then copy/paste it in to be translated I guess. Truthfully, I have a suspicion that the buyer is already using a translator to have said what they said to me in the first place. Broken English is what showed up in my inbox.

The order has been delivered and their response was just as confusing. Just waiting for it to be marked as complete.

What can you do though, ya know? For anyone reading through this thread, I would suggest being cautious when deciding to try the translation route. It is frustrating for the person that isn’t being understood to be told they aren’t. Depending on the person, any negativity between strangers can get out of hand easily.

I also think this is another reason this site is a little flawed in some areas. I was forced into a risk to my reputation and the site structure of Fiverr itself makes our reputations crucial to sales and exposure. I am fairly confident I gave this buyer enough of a free service to avoid my first ever negative but is that really fair? Had it gone downhill I guess I would just have been unlucky? This needs fixed with a Seller’s opportunity to cancel without a negative impact upon their reputation.

I am also more inclined to feel that since Fiverr is an English speaking website, it is a buyer’s responsibility to establish communication prior to purchasing a gig.

Okay. Although I appreciate the responses you guys have taken the time to type here, I am slightly at a loss on how exactly one would initiate the use of Google translate. Suggest they type a message to me in their own language and then copy/paste it in to be translated I guess. Truthfully, I have a suspicion that the buyer is already using a translator to have said what they said to me in the first place. Broken English is what showed up in my inbox.

The order has been delivered and their response was just as confusing. Just waiting for it to be marked as complete.

What can you do though, ya know? For anyone reading through this thread, I would suggest being cautious when deciding to try the translation route. It is frustrating for the person that isn’t being understood to be told they aren’t. Depending on the person, any negativity between strangers can get out of hand easily.

I also think this is another reason this site is a little flawed in some areas. I was forced into a risk to my reputation and the site structure of Fiverr itself makes our reputations crucial to sales and exposure. I am fairly confident I gave this buyer enough of a free service to avoid my first ever negative but is that really fair? Had it gone downhill I guess I would just have been unlucky? This needs fixed with a Seller’s opportunity to cancel without a negative impact upon their reputation.

I am also more inclined to feel that since Fiverr is an English speaking website, it is a buyer’s responsibility to establish communication prior to purchasing a gig.

Archived