My voice over gig...zero orders after five months

michaelkilliany

As stated previosuly, you seriously need a video reel. It could even be a stationary image with your picture! Just make it as easy as possible for the client to listen at you. You might not appear at the top of the listings. You might even not be on the first page! If I have a screen filled with one-click-away videos to evaluate, I will not stop to enter the profile of that guy without a video.

As stated previosuly, you seriously need a video reel. It could even be a stationary image with your picture! Just make it as easy as possible for the client to listen at you. You might not appear at the top of the listings. You might even not be on the first page! If I have a screen filled with one-click-away videos to evaluate, I will not stop to enter the profile of that guy without a video.

@torrelles Yes, I totally understand about the video and agree it’s necessary.

I can relate I too went through a long period of not getting work. Then one-day I got my first one band then a second and a third. I have now do over 60 voice overs in a spam of a year. But I made some changes to my gig recently to make it more attractive. I have now only recieved one order in about a month or two. Not sure why myself. Went from getting two to five jobs a week to none. Still waiting it out.

Thanks for your feedback, Raymond. Yeah, that’s one of the things I noticed folks are saying, that once you get an order or even a few orders, it doesn’t mean they’ll just start rolling in. Seems that we have to continue marketing ourselves in order to stay relevant and on clients’ radar. From what I understand, adding new gigs and doing custom orders can help improve your visibility. This is something Will Stauff was talking about in a recent video.

@ilovevoiceover Hi Lisa. I made only some of the changes you suggested (I’m still working on improvements) and was blessed to receive and complete my first order a couple of days ago! I feel so relieved and grateful. Now I just have to keep plugging away.

Thank you to everyone in this thread who offered valuable words of advice and encouragement!

@steve_maxell Yes, thank you. That seems to be the consensus and it makes sense when there is so much competition. There needs to be something that I do well but which also sets me apart. I’m in the process of trying to figure out what that is. 🙂

The answer to that is in you. Just think of all the things your good at. And translate that to a gig. Or at least voice overs.

Find your voice , watch Earl Hall and Funny Guy Timmy on you tube

Also, I’m a member of Steps To Voice-Over Success on Facebook. It’s a group Earl started and Timothy Banfield (FunnyGuyTimmy) is also a member. It’s a great resource for learning, as well as receiving and giving support.

Also, I’m a member of Steps To Voice-Over Success on Facebook. It’s a group Earl started and Timothy Banfield (FunnyGuyTimmy) is also a member. It’s a great resource for learning, as well as receiving and giving support.

When I started a few months ago, I began to feel delusional because I could not get any sales. Then I got angry. Then I found my niche. And now it’s going ok. But above all I had my demo’s ready, before I even got my gig up. Video is impotant. But this whole face thing on every gig is overrated I have a gig with me saying hello. And that’s enough.

My thoughts, I am a Top Rated Seller.

1. Profile image, change it, front view, smiling, show your face, people will believe you are a real person then.

2. Fill out every part of your gig, you have 3 image spaces and 2 PDF spaces, use all of these. If I was looking for a voice over person and I just saw a random face, this doesn’t tell me anything. Get a designer to do professional gig graphics for you.

3. Have a video, or shoot a video of you doing the voice over work from your studio, show your equipment.

4. Start at $5 when you start on here, you have to do it cheaper and offer more then other people in your category… why would someone choose you, when they can get a top rated seller for a few bucks more. Offer tons of freebies, extras, quicker turn around.

All in all you have to brand yourself on here, make yourself stand out from the crowd, I got into a VERY crowded space with book covers, but I carved out a niche doing exactly those things above 🙂

You will get there, just takes time.

good luck!

Rob

Hey Rob. Very logical and helpful info shared. Thank you.👍

When I started a few months ago, I began to feel delusional because I could not get any sales. Then I got angry. Then I found my niche. And now it’s going ok. But above all I had my demo’s ready, before I even got my gig up. Video is impotant. But this whole face thing on every gig is overrated I have a gig with me saying hello. And that’s enough.

@steve_maxell Thanks for sharing a bit of your journey. It can get frustrating, and my frustration led me to start this thread. I am happy to know you were able to get out of that rut and get started and get some sales under your belt. I am sure with your attitude and desire to help others that you will continue to grow. I feel it’s crucial to get those first few orders (I still have the one at this point) to help build confidence and establish credibility. I realize the videos are important, and I didn’t have one up for months. I then put up a video for a couple of weeks but took it down as the quality was poor and I felt it hurt more than helped. I recently made a video which utilizes just a single image but I feel it is an improvement as buyers can click and play right on the search results page. I’ll get better with videos as I go along but at least that’s something, and I have noticed many successful voice over artists are doing something similar.

I agree about Earl and Timothy; they are no nonsense and are very inclusive. Neither of them has ever made me feel like I’m beneath them; they truly want to help people succeed. That same spirit is in the entire Steps To Voice-Over Success group, everyone is helpful and supportive.

As far as my niche, I love radio. I enjoy commercials and have also been thinking about some other things such as doing a character demo and see what happens with that. I’d also like to do some motivational/inspirational stuff and where that goes. That is an important part of who I am so I feel there is something there but I haven’t yet connected the dots. I have some apprehension about doing an audio book but I know at some point I need to experience it to really know what it’s like. So, I guess I’m searching and feeling my way and figuring it out as I go.

@ilovevoiceover Hi Lisa. I made only some of the changes you suggested (I’m still working on improvements) and was blessed to receive and complete my first order a couple of days ago! I feel so relieved and grateful. Now I just have to keep plugging away.

Thank you to everyone in this thread who offered valuable words of advice and encouragement!

@michaelkilliany GO MICHAEL! WOOT WOOT !!!

I’m so happy to learn that you received your first order.

It’s the first of many to come. I’m so happy for you!!!

@michaelkilliany GO MICHAEL! WOOT WOOT !!!

I’m so happy to learn that you received your first order.

It’s the first of many to come. I’m so happy for you!!!

@ilovevoiceover Thank you so much, Lisa. Your encouragement and happiness to see others succeed means a lot, more than you could know. Especially when you keep plugging away for months with no results. I am very happy to say I have now received and delivered 3 orders!! 😀 It really felt like I was miles away from anything happening, but your were right. Now I can encourage someone else. Thank you again, Lisa. I appreciate you very much.

@ilovevoiceover Thank you so much, Lisa. Your encouragement and happiness to see others succeed means a lot, more than you could know. Especially when you keep plugging away for months with no results. I am very happy to say I have now received and delivered 3 orders!! 😀 It really felt like I was miles away from anything happening, but your were right. Now I can encourage someone else. Thank you again, Lisa. I appreciate you very much.

@michaelkilliany MICHAEL! YES! YES! YES!

I love this news! As a result of those three orders you are showing up more and more in the search results. And that will get you more orders, and the cycle will continue.

I appreciate you for putting yourself out there and for hanging in, being a possibility for yourself. You believed in yourself, made some small changes to see what would work and then BOOM! You did this! Time to celebrate! I’m so happy for you, and I know you’re going to keep getting more work.

Way to go! Keep up the great work! 😀

@michaelkilliany MICHAEL! YES! YES! YES!

I love this news! As a result of those three orders you are showing up more and more in the search results. And that will get you more orders, and the cycle will continue.

I appreciate you for putting yourself out there and for hanging in, being a possibility for yourself. You believed in yourself, made some small changes to see what would work and then BOOM! You did this! Time to celebrate! I’m so happy for you, and I know you’re going to keep getting more work.

Way to go! Keep up the great work! 😀

• 2 weeks later...

Archived