:man_facepalming: My [bad] first impression of the Skills Test feature

woofy31

If the reality is that the tests are faulty, and if fiverr plans on using them as some sort of measuring tool, with regard to skill level/knowledge etc - there should be some type of a formal complaint and or petition - outlining the reasons why it needs to be corrected to be accurate and or relevant. (Although my opinion is that there’s no be all end all test, that can separate skilled sellers from non-skilled, rather, that can be measured by reviews, repeat customers, and other practical forms of analysis.) In addition each seller, has their own skill set, that helps them be successful - that can’t necessary be defined by “book” knowledge.

I suspect at some point of time, the tests may be implemented as mandatory.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the reality is that the tests are faulty, and if fiverr plans on using them as some sort of measuring tool, with regard to skill level/knowledge etc - there should be some type of a formal complaint and or petition - outlining the reasons why it needs to be corrected to be accurate and or relevant. (Although my opinion is that there’s no be all end all test, that can separate skilled sellers from non-skilled, rather, that can be measured by reviews, repeat customers, and other practical forms of analysis.) In addition each seller, has their own skill set, that helps them be successful - that can’t necessary be defined by “book” knowledge.

I suspect at some point of time, the tests may be implemented as mandatory.

If the reality is that the tests are faulty, and if fiverr plans on using them as some sort of measuring tool, with regard to skill level/knowledge etc - there should be some type of a formal complaint and or petition

This is especially true given the fact that most test questions and answers can be found online. (With workarounds to browser lockscreens.)

Personally, the fact that test answers are publicly available and the fact that test answers are flawed, leads me to the conclusion that eventually, only those who cheat will score well. This will lead to a decline in overall quality on Fiverr, and this is why I will not be compromising my integrity with these tests.

If the reality is that the tests are faulty, and if fiverr plans on using them as some sort of measuring tool, with regard to skill level/knowledge etc - there should be some type of a formal complaint and or petition

This is especially true given the fact that most test questions and answers can be found online. (With workarounds to browser lockscreens.)

Personally, the fact that test answers are publicly available and the fact that test answers are flawed, leads me to the conclusion that eventually, only those who cheat will score well. This will lead to a decline in overall quality on Fiverr, and this is why I will not be compromising my integrity with these tests.

Exactly. I’m with you. I won’t be taking them either.

We can still send info at the end of the tests (like specified in this thread) so that they are more likely to update any errors or no longer relevant things in the tests. We don’t know whether the results of the tests are going to affect search ranking on Fiverr one day, but if they do, not doing the tests might also. Doing the tests might also help the seller in seeing their skills in different subjects/categories (if the tests are good enough) even if you don’t show the results.

The only way the tests could be harder to cheat on is to make them render a different set of questions on each and every try 😉

As for workarounds… whatever a human does, another human can and will undo. It’s human nature and has always been like that 👀

The only way the tests could be harder to cheat on is to make them render a different set of questions on each and every try 😉

As for workarounds… whatever a human does, another human can and will undo. It’s human nature and has always been like that 👀

The only way the tests could be harder to cheat on is to make them render a different set of questions on each and every try

I thought they might at least be showing the specified number of questions randomly picked from a list of a higher number of possible questions (maybe a lot higher number of possible questions than get picked for a particular test). That at least would make the tests harder. I thought that was what they could be doing, and not showing the exact same questions and answers each time (plus randomising the position of the different possible answers would help if they don’t do that already).

As for workarounds… whatever a human does, another human can and will undo. It’s human nature and has always been like that

What they could do, as well as having a massive amount of possible questions, and maybe distributing test answers online with purposefully wrong answers in the same sort of places the existing answer sheets may be, and as well as trying to remove existing answer sheets, is to put certain words in the questions/answers that would identifiy who was distrubuting the answers online and/or alter the test questions/answers with random things that would confuse the cheater but would make no difference to the person doing the test properly. Some tests could have many random elements (like maths tests).

We can still send info at the end of the tests (like specified in this thread) so that they are more likely to update any errors or no longer relevant things in the tests. We don’t know whether the results of the tests are going to affect search ranking on Fiverr one day, but if they do, not doing the tests might also. Doing the tests might also help the seller in seeing their skills in different subjects/categories (if the tests are good enough) even if you don’t show the results.

We can still send info at the end of the tests (like specified in this thread) so that they are more likely to update any errors or no longer relevant things in the tests.

Thing is, those tests are old, and those errors are known and have been pointed out to the test company/the companies using the tests before, but nothing happened and apparently, they still can sell them to new customers as they are, error-riddled, and now partly outdated too.

I guess we can, though if we do, they’ll probably ask to attach screenshots, taking a screenshot will throw you out of the quiz, for which you only have 2 attempts per 3 months, which you may already have used up by looking up how long the quiz should take you and a power outage. Else, of course, you can waste 2 tries per month on screenshots until you were able to catch them all. 😉

I guess they can check their Qs and As to eliminate the mistakes/update, as they are well aware of the issues and sell them and get money for them.

We can still send info at the end of the tests (like specified in this thread) so that they are more likely to update any errors or no longer relevant things in the tests.

Thing is, those tests are old, and those errors are known and have been pointed out to the test company/the companies using the tests before, but nothing happened and apparently, they still can sell them to new customers as they are, error-riddled, and now partly outdated too.

I guess we can, though if we do, they’ll probably ask to attach screenshots, taking a screenshot will throw you out of the quiz, for which you only have 2 attempts per 3 months, which you may already have used up by looking up how long the quiz should take you and a power outage. Else, of course, you can waste 2 tries per month on screenshots until you were able to catch them all. 😉

I guess they can check their Qs and As to eliminate the mistakes/update, as they are well aware of the issues and sell them and get money for them.

True. Though they might be slowly fixing at least some of the errors/out of date stuff and they may be more likely to if told about the issues than if they aren’t. I assume there’s a lot more possible questions in the list than are shown in the test so there may be a lot of possible questions/answers to fix/update. Though even some of the test topics seem outdated (eg. are about dated versions of software).

Yes, it’s probably not worth taking a screenshot if that’s going to invalidate the test (you could maybe take a photo of the screen if there’s an error with a question and that wouldn’t invalidate the test - if that would be okay with Fiverr).

I think considering how they are, the duplicate answers, the question about Yahoo Directory which hasn’t existed for four years, the poor grammar and spelling mistakes, these need to be removed.

Fiverr is concerned now with a level of professionalism for sellers. Using something like this is not a good idea, such outdated flawed tests.

True. Though they might be slowly fixing at least some of the errors/out of date stuff and they may be more likely to if told about the issues than if they aren’t. I assume there’s a lot more possible questions in the list than are shown in the test so there may be a lot of possible questions/answers to fix/update. Though even some of the test topics seem outdated (eg. are about dated versions of software).

Yes, it’s probably not worth taking a screenshot if that’s going to invalidate the test (you could maybe take a photo of the screen if there’s an error with a question and that wouldn’t invalidate the test - if that would be okay with Fiverr).

Yeah, but all that takes a lot of time if sellers do it (maybe in vain as when they did it before, it was in vain too) while the people who earn good money with those tests have all those questions and answers in their desk drawers and can let some actual experts check them without other people who don’t get any money for it needing to take photos with their phones, and all the hassle.

I just don’t get why that should be our responsibility and not that of the company who sells them. If they want to pay me to check and take screenshots of any mistakes and outdated stuff I encounter, okay, but if not, as others said, if someone wants to test me and judge my skills, I expect them to not test me with a broken quiz, at least.

There are enough other issues with those tests, as said or hinted at before as well, but at least one could expect them to be correct and not partly badly outdated.

Imagine what would happen if you sold a ready-made product on Fiverr, say a PDF with SEO tips and lots of your tips were valid 2014 but not anymore, or/and there was plainly wrong info in there, you’d get lots of bad reviews and cancellations/refunds, and rightly so.

I asked a question about how they chose or rather settled on this particular company and haven’t got a response yet. Even did my own research and discovered other testing companies that developed relevant tests for testing one’s skills. That’s skills and not knowledge of textbook-like material.

I asked a question about how they chose or rather settled on this particular company and haven’t got a response yet. Even did my own research and discovered other testing companies that developed relevant tests for testing one’s skills. That’s skills and not knowledge of textbook-like material.

What were the other companies/what tests (do you have links if allowed?). Were they multiple choice like the Fiverr tests? Maybe the other companies’ tests, if better, were more expensive than the test company they chose.

Yeah, but all that takes a lot of time if sellers do it (maybe in vain as when they did it before, it was in vain too) while the people who earn good money with those tests have all those questions and answers in their desk drawers and can let some actual experts check them without other people who don’t get any money for it needing to take photos with their phones, and all the hassle.

I just don’t get why that should be our responsibility and not that of the company who sells them. If they want to pay me to check and take screenshots of any mistakes and outdated stuff I encounter, okay, but if not, as others said, if someone wants to test me and judge my skills, I expect them to not test me with a broken quiz, at least.

There are enough other issues with those tests, as said or hinted at before as well, but at least one could expect them to be correct and not partly badly outdated.

Imagine what would happen if you sold a ready-made product on Fiverr, say a PDF with SEO tips and lots of your tips were valid 2014 but not anymore, or/and there was plainly wrong info in there, you’d get lots of bad reviews and cancellations/refunds, and rightly so.

I just don’t get why that should be our responsibility and not that of the company who sells them.

It’s the same principle as with cancellations due to buyer mistakes, which is why Fiverr will probably never address that problem: CS told me that, in case of buyers mistakenly placing an order, it is our responsibility to persuade the buyer that they need the mistake order and thus avoid the cancellation, because they can’t force the buyer to keep the order (so we have to, to avoid a penalty). Thus, if I go to a store, purchase something, and then go back to get a refund, the cashier should convince me that I will really-really need that item!

I was literally dumbstruck by that 😵 (it basically puts all the blame & responsibility on sellers for not being able to convince buyers that their mistaken orders were “lucky mistakes”)

Maybe the other companies’ tests, if better, were more expensive than the test company they chose.

Surely Fiverr can afford it, at least from all the collected fees from all sellers, from all buyers, and from all the tips, too! (I bet it would cost at most 1% of all the collected fees, heck, I even dare to say at most 0.1%)

What were the other companies/what tests (do you have links if allowed?). Were they multiple choice like the Fiverr tests? Maybe the other companies’ tests, if better, were more expensive than the test company they chose.

Can’t remember exact names but do remember seeing a graphic design test that had a combination of multiple choice, discussion question plus whiteboard questions for illustrating responses.

Can’t remember exact names but do remember seeing a graphic design test that had a combination of multiple choice, discussion question plus whiteboard questions for illustrating responses.

So if it’s just questions how exactly is it testing your skill rather than your knowledge? Surely a true test of skill would either have a human/humans checking the results or software (eg. at least quite complex) checking the results of the work you perform (eg. to see how well it matches what it asked for or maybe how well it matches common principles related to that subject).

eg. skill is how well you do something - eg. to create something - and multiple choice questions or similar isn’t really testing that. Maybe the non-multiple choice type question bit is testing it (if it’s free text that is checked against what should be there, but that wouldn’t really be applicable to certain subjects like how well you operate design-type or audio/video software to create something).

plus whiteboard questions for illustrating responses.

Do you mean you actually put illustrations as part of the responses to questions and the software interpreted it (the illustration) - or humans did? or was this more like a multiple-choice question?

I have just used google to find what you are talking about.

3 of these web sites are not able to give the correct answer for the question “what are 4Ps?” (Marketing). I am laughing…

Those who don’t know anything about the topic won’t be able to have more than 6 or 7.

I have just used google to find what you are talking about.

3 of these web sites are not able to give the correct answer for the question “what are 4Ps?” (Marketing). I am laughing…

Those who don’t know anything about the topic won’t be able to have more than 6 or 7.

3 of these web sites are not able to give the correct answer for the question “what is 4P?” (Marketing). I am laughing…

Could it be

• Product
  • Price
  • Place
  • Promotions

Warn you, I know NOTHING about marketing 😣

I have a degree in marketing and never heard of that before.

Really? In either case, marketing degrees are like particle physics degrees. You either know what’s hip right now, or you know nothing. I recently created a $70 30-second video for my old employer which has had more hits on Youtube than their official God-knows-how-much marketing video.

They did everything right by choosing a stellar video maker. I just SEO’d my video description and tags better. Their failing is that they consider SEO part of IT and as such, a completely different department to marketing. (Even though it’s run my a lovely girl with marketing degrees coming out of her ears.)

That said, I think my sister has a marketing degree…

Anyway, I’m not belittling your achievement or qualifications. It would be nice, though, if when sellers work with big brands, they could showcase real-life testimonials on gig pages. That kind of thing would say a lot more than any Up-Worky-like test score.

Really? In either case, marketing degrees are like particle physics degrees. You either know what’s hip right now, or you know nothing. I recently created a $70 30-second video for my old employer which has had more hits on Youtube than their official God-knows-how-much marketing video.

They did everything right by choosing a stellar video maker. I just SEO’d my video description and tags better. Their failing is that they consider SEO part of IT and as such, a completely different department to marketing. (Even though it’s run my a lovely girl with marketing degrees coming out of her ears.)

That said, I think my sister has a marketing degree…

Anyway, I’m not belittling your achievement or qualifications. It would be nice, though, if when sellers work with big brands, they could showcase real-life testimonials on gig pages. That kind of thing would say a lot more than any Up-Worky-like test score.

It’s odd but we were using the same textbooks and materials and case studies they use at Harvard. I’m not sure those four Ps are exactly from an advanced course.

My point is that the “four Ps of marketing” are not something like a thing every marketing expert is taught, as if it’s a basic thing people should have memorized.

That’s not to say they are not correct, just not on the top of every marketing professionals mind.

It’s odd but we were using the same textbooks and materials and case studies they use at Harvard. I’m not sure those four Ps are exactly from an advanced course.

My point is that the “four Ps of marketing” are not something like a thing every marketing expert is taught, as if it’s a basic thing people should have memorized.

That’s not to say they are not correct, just not on the top of every marketing professionals mind.

If they still run it, I’m more than half way to an online degree in archaeology with Oxford online. (Though my last module was in 2013.) As it is, I’m pleased I didn’t finish the thing.

I’ve got a kitchen draw full of Megalodon teeth which I’ve been pulling out of the rock here in Malta for 5-years. As it is, you don’t find Megalodon remains in Malta. (At least not officially.) Nor do the temples here have any connection to anywhere else on Earth, even though I’ve got Isle of Skye archaeological dig record notes from the 1930’s, showing a definite correlation between the design of Scottish chambered cairns and the temples in question.

Sometimes whoever writes the ‘official’ text books, deserves to be hung drawn and quartered for crimes against actual academia.

Needless to say, I’m no higher education fanboy…

Edit:

Maybe you were taught it as the marketing mix? It is a very basic marketing rule. And in fairness, kind of time-tested.

If they still run it, I’m more than half way to an online degree in archaeology with Oxford online. (Though my last module was in 2013.) As it is, I’m pleased I didn’t finish the thing.

I’ve got a kitchen draw full of Megalodon teeth which I’ve been pulling out of the rock here in Malta for 5-years. As it is, you don’t find Megalodon remains in Malta. (At least not officially.) Nor do the temples here have any connection to anywhere else on Earth, even though I’ve got Isle of Skye archaeological dig record notes from the 1930’s, showing a definite correlation between the design of Scottish chambered cairns and the temples in question.

Sometimes whoever writes the ‘official’ text books, deserves to be hung drawn and quartered for crimes against actual academia.

Needless to say, I’m no higher education fanboy…

Edit:

Maybe you were taught it as the marketing mix? It is a very basic marketing rule. And in fairness, kind of time-tested.

Needless to say, I’m no higher education fanboy

I am a fan of it. I took the most fascinating course of my life at Coursera, an anthropology course.

Needless to say, I’m no higher education fanboy

I am a fan of it. I took the most fascinating course of my life at Coursera, an anthropology course.

I also love self education and spent many happy hours at the Library of Congress delving into psychology texts.

You should run for president. Your slogan could be: "I will make America great again for $5."

Archived