A Commitment to Community: Updates to Our Product

mjensen415

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although it is some good news, the next initiative I expect is one that prevents buyers from making orders before contacting the sellers. Some buyers, even if you have written in bold that you must be contacted first to get the instructions right, end up assigning you orders which are not even related to one’s experience. This should be addressed by designing it in a way that the buyer has no option to order without contacting the buyer.

Good initiatives though.

Although it is some good news, the next initiative I expect is one that prevents buyers from making orders before contacting the sellers. Some buyers, even if you have written in bold that you must be contacted first to get the instructions right, end up assigning you orders which are not even related to one’s experience. This should be addressed by designing it in a way that the buyer has no option to order without contacting the buyer.

Good initiatives though.

the buyer has no option to order without contacting the buyer.

I would like to be able to review the requirements the buyer has filled in before I approve the order. I’ve had buyers send a laundry list of requirements that involve dozens of things I don’t offer in the requirements section of orders.

the buyer has no option to order without contacting the buyer.

I would like to be able to review the requirements the buyer has filled in before I approve the order. I’ve had buyers send a laundry list of requirements that involve dozens of things I don’t offer in the requirements section of orders.

This is a pet peeve of mine too! What is the purpose of having a fiverr pre-composed response to orders that says in a nutshell “I need more information, please submit such and such, so I can start working on your order” if the clock has already started either way…

I find it really annoying. (Besides the fact that I find the pre-composed messages annoying period ) LOL… I erase those and send my own… which subsequently wastes time.

Utilizing those should be optional and we should be able to turn them OFF or ON. 😶

It looks like Fiverr has already walked back on the “last 60 day” review thing, where they only showed the reviews a seller got in the last 60 days, and masked their review total in a dropdown menu. I love it! That was a terrible idea!

Great job, Fiverr! That is a much more fair representation of the experience of sellers on Fiverr! Now just eliminate 1000+ and if someone has 13,000 5 star reviews - show that. Then the results can speak for themselves.

I still think this is scary and could become a witch hunt if not well handled and with people knowing exactly what to do and what they’re doing,

It comes to my mind a seller who had copyright issues of her own photos and many others who where punished for copyright claims of their own gigs. I can’t recall who they were but I think those threads were created between May and July…

I think this is going to create a world of problems. The majority of people I have read about on the forum accusing others of offering dishonest services have been fellow sellers with no proof. - Just a misplaced self-belief that they deserve more sales.

Also, reporting profiles could go hand in hand with the new blind review system.

Every time I have a problem buyer, problems arise because they want more than they are willing to pay for. Case in point, I have a buyer right now who ordered a basic 30-second video. They like the final delivery. But… they want it stretching out to be a minute in length. Also, they have set off a few red flags already by saying that on their side, the 40-second video I delivered only runs for 25-seconds. - A big fat lie.

So. In my blind review of this buyer, I would like to say:

"Thank you for your order. However, please note that purposefully ordering basic packages, before asking for longer custom work, has a very detrimental effect on my and other sellers workflow. In this case, please consider reaching out to sellers prior to ordering in future, in order to discuss your actual order requirements."

Actually, I would like to be a little less civil.

Now, though, what happens if this buyer realizes that other sellers may be reluctant to work with them in future? Or what happens if they are one of those who believe every seller should be priced at $5 and anything higher is a ripoff?

Me reviewing them could easily lead to them exacting revenge by reporting my profile for false advertising or whatever they want to come up with.

Then there are the people with the awful websites and fish brained MLM scams. The ones who come back furious weeks after purchase of an SEO sales copy because they didn’t become Bill Gates overnight. - Then there are the people who you just don’t want to work with who can’t take no for an answer and will now be enraged when they find out they have been blocked by sellers.

None of these issues should be a problem. However, CS favors buyers over sellers and I highly doubt anyone is going to investigate matters. The current MO seems to be to cancel orders and/or ban sellers at the slightest whisper of buyer upset.

“Thank you for your order. However, please note that purposefully ordering basic packages, before asking for longer custom work, has a very detrimental effect on my and other sellers workflow. In this case, please consider reaching out to sellers prior to ordering in future, in order to discuss your actual order requirements.”

If I was a buyer and I got a response like that, I would be very offended. Here I am, giving you my money, and you’re giving me a lecture.

I’m not the most diplomatic person in the world, but I’ve learned a few things.

Rule #1: Don’t lecture buyers.

Instead, do the job, deliver the order, get a good review, and then tell your buyer something like: “Hi, I enjoyed working for you, but in the future, can you message me before placing an order? Sometimes I’m too busy to take orders. Thank you.”

Besides, you can always communicate everything in your gig description.

“Please message me before you order. Thank you!”

That should stop most unwanted orders.

“Thank you for your order. However, please note that purposefully ordering basic packages, before asking for longer custom work, has a very detrimental effect on my and other sellers workflow. In this case, please consider reaching out to sellers prior to ordering in future, in order to discuss your actual order requirements.”

If I was a buyer and I got a response like that, I would be very offended. Here I am, giving you my money, and you’re giving me a lecture.

Instead, do the job, deliver the order, get a good review, and then tell your buyer something like: “Hi, I enjoyed working for you, but in the future, can you message me before placing an order? Sometimes I’m too busy to take orders. Thank you.”

I’m sorry, are you deliberately misrepresenting the context of my post? Or did you just not read it?

Yes. Meanwhile, in the real world…

Unfortunately that rarely (if ever) works. I’ve tried all sorts of similar first-liners on my gig description for many years, to ultimately realize none of them worked. So I removed it, and I’ve noticed no difference whatsoever.

Then I did a test of my own by creating a simple gig instruction along the lines of “Have you read the gig description before ordering?”, which I kept for several months, and guess what? I could count on my ten fingers the number of times buyers said “yes” :man_facepalming: (although I think I made some of them go back to my gig and read the description after ordering, which may or may not have benefited me)

So in my case it’s a fact, and a worrying one: ~90-95% of my buyers just don’t read past the gig title (sometimes not even that!!)

So it’s OK when buyers lecture me? :roll_eyes: I’m sorry, but I can’t accept that, it’s outright discrimination to me. Buyers are not gods or actual bosses, so I won’t treat them as such 🙂

And I think @cyaxrex’s reply was actually polite and respectful, I haven’t sensed anything rude in it (for I’ve seen how other sellers talk to their buyers). However, a bit of advice to @cyaxrex: CS might consider it “blaming the buyer” as they like to say, which isn’t on their OK list 😕 The buyer can blame a seller without any impact, but when we blame the buyer, it’s like total abuse or smth in the eyes of CS :roll_eyes: I guess discrimination is still a thing in 2018 :smirk:

Unfortunately that rarely (if ever) works. I’ve tried all sorts of similar first-liners on my gig description for many years, to ultimately realize none of them worked. So I removed it, and I’ve noticed no difference whatsoever.

Then I did a test of my own by creating a simple gig instruction along the lines of “Have you read the gig description before ordering?”, which I kept for several months, and guess what? I could count on my ten fingers the number of times buyers said “yes” :man_facepalming: (although I think I made some of them go back to my gig and read the description after ordering, which may or may not have benefited me)

So in my case it’s a fact, and a worrying one: ~90-95% of my buyers just don’t read past the gig title (sometimes not even that!!)

So it’s OK when buyers lecture me? :roll_eyes: I’m sorry, but I can’t accept that, it’s outright discrimination to me. Buyers are not gods or actual bosses, so I won’t treat them as such 🙂

And I think @cyaxrex’s reply was actually polite and respectful, I haven’t sensed anything rude in it (for I’ve seen how other sellers talk to their buyers). However, a bit of advice to @cyaxrex: CS might consider it “blaming the buyer” as they like to say, which isn’t on their OK list 😕 The buyer can blame a seller without any impact, but when we blame the buyer, it’s like total abuse or smth in the eyes of CS :roll_eyes: I guess discrimination is still a thing in 2018 :smirk:

However, a bit of advice to @cyaxrex: CS might consider it “blaming the buyer” as they like to say, which isn’t on their OK list 😕

CONTEXT!

I have never and will never leave such a review of a buyer. I do not even leave reviews for 99% of buyers.

The example buyer review was worded to demonstrate precisely why blind reviews are a bad idea. The minute sellers say what they think of some buyers, those buyers will likely be offended. Also, some will take that to the next level and complain, leading to… Well, the one thing Fiverr CS excels at. Namely, indiscriminate seller bans.

To clarify, here is my original, unedited opinion on this matter:

I think this is going to create a world of problems. The majority of people I have read about on the forum accusing others of offering dishonest services have been fellow sellers with no proof. - Just a misplaced self-belief that they deserve more sales.

Also, reporting profiles could go hand in hand with the new blind review system.

Every time I have a problem buyer, problems arise because they want more than they are willing to pay for. Case in point, I have a buyer right now who ordered a basic 30-second video. They like the final delivery. But… they want it stretching out to be a minute in length. Also, they have set off a few red flags already by saying that on their side, the 40-second video I delivered only runs for 25-seconds. - A big fat lie.

"Thank you for your order. However, please note that purposefully ordering basic packages, before asking for longer custom work, has a very detrimental effect on my and other sellers workflow. In this case, please consider reaching out to sellers prior to ordering in future, in order to discuss your actual order requirements."

Now, though, what happens if this buyer realizes that other sellers may be reluctant to work with them in future? Or what happens if they are one of those who believe every seller should be priced at $5 and anything higher is a ripoff?

Me reviewing them could easily lead to them exacting revenge by reporting my profile for false advertising or whatever they want to come up with.

However, a bit of advice to @cyaxrex: CS might consider it “blaming the buyer” as they like to say, which isn’t on their OK list 😕

CONTEXT!

I have never and will never leave such a review of a buyer. I do not even leave reviews for 99% of buyers.

The example buyer review was worded to demonstrate precisely why blind reviews are a bad idea. The minute sellers say what they think of some buyers, those buyers will likely be offended. Also, some will take that to the next level and complain, leading to… Well, the one thing Fiverr CS excels at. Namely, indiscriminate seller bans.

To clarify, here is my original, unedited opinion on this matter:

CONTEXT!

I have never and will never leave such a review of a buyer.

I know you didn’t leave such a review and that it was just an example, but you never know what the future holds (never say never), so I merely warned you about this whole new “blaming the buyer” phenomenon that is currently in effect across the CS team, should you ever choose to word such sentences to your buyers 😛

P.S. I’ve heard CS even gave a level warning to a seller who indirectly & politely blamed their buyer, even though that seller was actually entitled to in his particular case. I miss young Fiverr, that fun new kid on the block!

CONTEXT!

I have never and will never leave such a review of a buyer.

I know you didn’t leave such a review and that it was just an example, but you never know what the future holds (never say never), so I merely warned you about this whole new “blaming the buyer” phenomenon that is currently in effect across the CS team, should you ever choose to word such sentences to your buyers 😛

P.S. I’ve heard CS even gave a level warning to a seller who indirectly & politely blamed their buyer, even though that seller was actually entitled to in his particular case. I miss young Fiverr, that fun new kid on the block!

I merely warned you about this whole new “blaming the buyer” phenomenon that is currently in effect across the CS team,

I’ve already heard about this on the underground railroad. This is why I don’t respond to buyers. Blind reviews are just fodder for Fiverr’s seller banning cannons. Of course, the idea is very nicely sugarcoated. 🙂 .

I mean, you can work on your tone but it’s perfectly fine to explain to the buyer how the site works and, more importantly, how you work in particular.

Over-delivering just because you’re stuck with your basic order + additional work that wasn’t and will not be paid for is not good for you and it adds up to the overall problem of buyers having (hugely) unrealistic expectations about this site and we really, really don’t need more of that.

I usually send an extra for the remaining $ along with the gig description screenshot and a brief explanation of what costs what and it takes care of things most of the time.

I have a suggestion for the blind review system.

After we review the buyer blindly and after we can see the buyer’s review, give us one chance to respond to their review. We don’t have to have the luxury to change the rating, just a plain comment to prevent miscommunication with a buyer who have malicious intent by giving bad review etc etc

Archived