A Commitment to Community: Updates to Our Product

mjensen415

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t see an option to block someone based on being endlessly annoying but never buying anything.

I don’t see an option to block someone based on being endlessly annoying but never buying anything.

That’s because Fiverr designed it like this, to be able to block only existing buyers, not potential buyers, which makes no sense to me since a lot of trouble starts in our Inbox.

I can’t even count how many times I’ve tried convincing users not to order from me because I couldn’t help them, because I couldn’t properly communicate with them, because they just wouldn’t take “NO” for an answer. Know what the bad part is? Some of these forgot our chat and came back to order after a few weeks or months, leading to cancellations every singe time :man_facepalming:

So yes, we should be allowed to block potential buyers as well, not just existing buyers. Especially since the counterpart is apparently true: potential buyers are allowed to block sellers who they never hired using this new feature, and thus never see that seller’s gigs or profile ever again (it just happened to me today, where a potential buyer blocked me and I can’t access his profile anymore unless I use Incognito mode)

Why are potential buyers allowed to block sellers they never hired, but sellers are not allowed to block potential buyers? Are buyers really more important than sellers? Heck, I shouldn’t even have to ask this question!

P.S. I told CS about it, and they thanked me for the feedback and told me they’ll pass my suggestion to the right team.

That’s because Fiverr designed it like this, to be able to block only existing buyers, not potential buyers, which makes no sense to me since a lot of trouble starts in our Inbox.

I can’t even count how many times I’ve tried convincing users not to order from me because I couldn’t help them, because I couldn’t properly communicate with them, because they just wouldn’t take “NO” for an answer. Know what the bad part is? Some of these forgot our chat and came back to order after a few weeks or months, leading to cancellations every singe time :man_facepalming:

So yes, we should be allowed to block potential buyers as well, not just existing buyers. Especially since the counterpart is apparently true: potential buyers are allowed to block sellers who they never hired using this new feature, and thus never see that seller’s gigs or profile ever again (it just happened to me today, where a potential buyer blocked me and I can’t access his profile anymore unless I use Incognito mode)

Why are potential buyers allowed to block sellers they never hired, but sellers are not allowed to block potential buyers? Are buyers really more important than sellers? Heck, I shouldn’t even have to ask this question!

P.S. I told CS about it, and they thanked me for the feedback and told me they’ll pass my suggestion to the right team.

I recently received what I can only call a vile message from someone who I politely told that I wouldn’t be able to help. They then informed me that they were blocking and reporting me. In this case, I think it really needs to be asked if many of Fiverr’s changes might not actually be causing higher incidences of the problems they are (apparently) designed to fix.

• Since St. Levels, I’ve had a drastic increase in cancellations caused by buyers ordering services which I do not provide
  • Since the official/unofficial money back guarantee, I’ve had more CS refunded orders and chargebacks than ever previously
  • Now that anyone can report and block sellers, I’ve had my first ever ‘can’t take no for an answer’ disgruntled person do just this
  • In the case of the person who blocked me, it was clear they did so in order to have the last word and cut off any right of me to reply or even (if wanted to) clarify the situation. There are a lot of buyers who want miracles for peanuts and I can see many taking advantage of this feature for this reason just out of spite

Oh, and there’s the 1/3 shaving of my monthly sales.

In all these cases, it seems to me that most problems could have been completely avoided or remedied quickly, simply by having access to a customer support agent who can actually do something.

I actually feel threatened by the random person who blocked and apparently reported me. I feel bullied by them. I want to know that I am protected from this kind of behavior. Sadly, contacting customer support for any reason these days seems to have the same effect as popping a hand grenade as a breath mint.

I recently received what I can only call a vile message from someone who I politely told that I wouldn’t be able to help. They then informed me that they were blocking and reporting me. In this case, I think it really needs to be asked if many of Fiverr’s changes might not actually be causing higher incidences of the problems they are (apparently) designed to fix.

• Since St. Levels, I’ve had a drastic increase in cancellations caused by buyers ordering services which I do not provide
  • Since the official/unofficial money back guarantee, I’ve had more CS refunded orders and chargebacks than ever previously
  • Now that anyone can report and block sellers, I’ve had my first ever ‘can’t take no for an answer’ disgruntled person do just this
  • In the case of the person who blocked me, it was clear they did so in order to have the last word and cut off any right of me to reply or even (if wanted to) clarify the situation. There are a lot of buyers who want miracles for peanuts and I can see many taking advantage of this feature for this reason just out of spite

In all these cases, it seems to me that most problems could have been completely avoided or remedied quickly, simply by having access to a customer support agent who can actually do something.

I actually feel threatened by the random person who blocked and apparently reported me. I feel bullied by them. I want to know that I am protected from this kind of behavior. Sadly, contacting customer support for any reason these days seems to have the same effect as popping a hand grenade as a breath mint.

Was that a result of being blocked do you think?

What do you think they put as a reason for blocking you;

The reason that your behavior was inappropriate? Hopefully others can’t make us lose sales and income simply by blocking us?

I had inquired of an ill tempered seller about their gig and they blocked me simply in a fit of pique because I didn’t buy within a couple of days.

I’m sorry, are you deliberately misrepresenting the context of my post? Or did you just not read it?

“Please message me before you order. Thank you!”

That should stop most unwanted orders.

Yes. Meanwhile, in the real world…

I’m sorry, are you deliberately misrepresenting the context of my post? Or did you just not read it?

Maybe I didn’t understand what you meant. Never mind then.

Unfortunately that rarely (if ever) works. I’ve tried all sorts of similar first-liners on my gig description for many years, to ultimately realize none of them worked. So I removed it, and I’ve noticed no difference whatsoever

To me it makes all the difference in the world. If buyers see “I don’t design logos,” they will never demand logos when they order.

Of course, asking them to contact you before ordering might be asking too much. Some people are in a hurry and don’t have time to wait for a seller to reply. They want to get the ball rolling. If you don’t need the money, I would just raise my prices to get less unwanted orders.

So it’s OK when buyers lecture me?

Sadly, they can. The good news is you can report them easily if they become abusive. A lot of buyers believe that the client is always right.

Over-delivering just because you’re stuck with your basic order + additional work that wasn’t and will not be paid for is not good for you and it adds up to the overall problem of buyers having (hugely) unrealistic expectations about this site and we really, really don’t need more of that.

I have mixed feelings about this. If I over-deliver and the client demands a revision, I won’t over-deliver again. However, if it’s a client that has ordered 30 times from me, and he made the mistake of ordering the basic package, maybe I’ll over-deliver and tell him I’m giving him XYZ as a bonus.

You gotta take care of the people that take care of you, and have proven their loyalty many times.

With new people it’s a risk.

What do you think they put as a reason for blocking you;

The reason that your behavior was inappropriate? Hopefully others can’t make us lose sales and income simply by blocking us?

I had inquired of an ill tempered seller about their gig and they blocked me simply in a fit of pique because I didn’t buy within a couple of days.

No. My Fiverr sales have been declining since May. I’m putting it down to the confusing nightmare that is Fiverr for buyers and the mysterious moving of many of my gigs between categories. It is actually working out very beneficial, though.

Let’s take a critical look at this. A feedback system is meant to improve users trust in a system, and a system that works is built on transparency. I believe there is currently no system that addresses a buyer’s communication and misinterpretation of a Gig. Picture this; a buyer contacts you to rewrite his website, make it more SEO friendly. You do a perfect job, all the essentials. A few days later, you see that the buyer gave you a terrible review because the SEO writing didn’t get his business to the front page on Google Search when he searched for maybe “web hosting in the USA”. This is clearly impossible to achieve just by rewriting the website and hosting packages! Well, that’s a true story from a dear friend, and he’s no longer on Fiverr. Fiverr needs to work out a system that matches a seller’s expectation of the service rendered. Now, that’s true feedback!

(edited bcoz misunderstood)
I am sorry but I don’t see the new rating idea any good or any help to solve the long lasting problem.

A rating system is the only place where buyer can review a seller, the seller react/explain, so others can refer. Before knowing buyer’s review, a seller always can just say thank you as there is not much to comment a buyer’s work or behavior.

I hope @mjensen415 reads all the feedback in this thread about the blind review, shares it with the Fiverr development team, and takes a long and thorough look at that idea. If they consider everything about the blind review, maybe they can not deploy it before they cause any more upset, stress and difficulties for the sellers.

It’s like the “last 60 day” idea for 5 star reviews - it’s was a bad idea that they quickly had to get rid of. Why go through all that? Just admit blind review not a positive concept, and announce that it will not be used. Now that would be a commitment to the community!

Totally agree… Many times buyers even directly tried to threaten me to leave a 1 star review, do not want to cancel the order, being rude, block me in order to report… when all I was being was honest and refuse for one or another reason to take the order… It is too much stress, not worth it. Yes, we need a help from the CS about that.

We are not their servants as many customers here think apparently…But they know then can manipulate like that and this needs to be changed.

I had someone send long messages asking outright for me to do free work for them.

I asked them to please stop messaging me and thanked them and they blocked me and reported me.

I am wondering how this affects me and my sales or if it does.

I had someone send long messages asking outright for me to do free work for them.

I asked them to please stop messaging me and thanked them and they blocked me and reported me.

This is why the report button needs to go. I get several messages a week stating simply:

"I need content."

Or:

"How much video?"

Or:

"We need X, send samples of your most relevant work."

I also get at least one person a month place a ‘phantom order.’ They send everything I would need to complete an order as a message. Even if I say that I would be happy to help and send a custom offer, they don’t respond. - At least not until a few days later when they expect me to have their order ready.

Usually, I would respond to super vague messages by saying:

Hi,

Thank you for your message. Sadly, I can’t help with such a vague request. If possible, please give me as full a brief as possible

Strangely, this seems to completely spin people out. Some replies are then super passive aggressive and because of this, I wish I didn’t even have to respond to these messages.

Because a buyer like this has blocked and reported me, I now simply send a questionnaire to all such buyers. It is exactly the same questionnaire I use with off-Fiverr clients. However, problem buyers on Fiverr simply can’t communicate. They have a want of something and expect you to figure out what that want is. In this case, not a single such buyer has (so far) responded to messages after I have started responding this way.

You could say that I scare people away by being more professional than they can handle. 🙂

Maybe do something similar to scare away your own problem buyers. Also, say as little as possible in inbox replies. Your prerogative is not to point out that you do not want to work with a buyer. Your prerogative is to intimidate them into realizing: "Oh 💩 this one is self-aware."

Problem buyers simply can’t handle this. They need immediate yes people and as such, will quietly scamper off to harras another seller.

This is why the report button needs to go. I get several messages a week stating simply:

"I need content."

Or:

"How much video?"

Or:

"We need X, send samples of your most relevant work."

I also get at least one person a month place a ‘phantom order.’ They send everything I would need to complete an order as a message. Even if I say that I would be happy to help and send a custom offer, they don’t respond. - At least not until a few days later when they expect me to have their order ready.

Usually, I would respond to super vague messages by saying:

Hi,

Thank you for your message. Sadly, I can’t help with such a vague request. If possible, please give me as full a brief as possible

Strangely, this seems to completely spin people out. Some replies are then super passive aggressive and because of this, I wish I didn’t even have to respond to these messages.

Because a buyer like this has blocked and reported me, I now simply send a questionnaire to all such buyers. It is exactly the same questionnaire I use with off-Fiverr clients. However, problem buyers on Fiverr simply can’t communicate. They have a want of something and expect you to figure out what that want is. In this case, not a single such buyer has (so far) responded to messages after I have started responding this way.

You could say that I scare people away by being more professional than they can handle. 🙂

Maybe do something similar to scare away your own problem buyers. Also, say as little as possible in inbox replies. Your prerogative is not to point out that you do not want to work with a buyer. Your prerogative is to intimidate them into realizing: "Oh 💩 this one is self-aware."

Problem buyers simply can’t handle this. They need immediate yes people and as such, will quietly scamper off to harras another seller.

My pestering message senders would relish any sort of my continuing to communicate and it would give them further encouragement to make a lifetime career of sending long meaningless messages to me.

I told one today I was busy and can’t answer any more and after waiting a few hours, now is continuing on sending message after message as if she is contemplating placing an order, but really hoping to get another response of any kind from me.

My pestering message senders would relish any sort of my continuing to communicate and it would give them further encouragement to make a lifetime career of sending long meaningless messages to me.

I told one today I was busy and can’t answer any more and after waiting a few hours, now is continuing on sending message after message as if she is contemplating placing an order, but really hoping to get another response of any kind from me.

I told one today I was busy and can’t answer any more and after waiting a few hours, now is continuing on sending message after message as if she is contemplating placing an order,

When this happens, I just pause my gigs and hide under the kitchen table.

Archived