? A personal view of Fiverr business model change

juanwriter

Like myself basically I’m a PRO in my niche, but since I didn’t work for big corporate like Apple and Tesla, it hard to get PRO.

Off-Topic: did you apply and get rejected?

Because I really don’t think your issue lies with not having worked with Elon Musk. It’s also not a prerequisite to have worked with a major brand in the past.

I applied two times, and I got rejected. It doesn’t matter what I have in my portfolio, the quality of my work, what matters is that you have a diploma or degree in the field that you apply for, or did some work for popular clients (rising startups, and etc). That gives you weight! If I don’t have that, it’s hard for Fiverr to sell me as a pro.

For example, you have an awesome track record off Fiverr, and a college degree in your field (you have in directing which is closely related to your work). On the other hand, I don’t have a college degree in design, but in agriculture, my clients are mostly small companies without large presence, I don’t have a lot of followers on my social media pages, and that’s why I won’t be a pro anytime soon, same goes for Chrisdata.

I am not attacking neither you or any pro on this platform. In a matter of fact, Fiverr PRO is a great thing as it might attract different kinds of clients in the long run which can benefit us the regular sellers. For now, I have a mixed opinion, and I rather not share it completely. 🙂

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I applied two times, and I got rejected. It doesn’t matter what I have in my portfolio, the quality of my work, what matters is that you have a diploma or degree in the field that you apply for, or did some work for popular clients (rising startups, and etc). That gives you weight! If I don’t have that, it’s hard for Fiverr to sell me as a pro.

For example, you have an awesome track record off Fiverr, and a college degree in your field (you have in directing which is closely related to your work). On the other hand, I don’t have a college degree in design, but in agriculture, my clients are mostly small companies without large presence, I don’t have a lot of followers on my social media pages, and that’s why I won’t be a pro anytime soon, same goes for Chrisdata.

I am not attacking neither you or any pro on this platform. In a matter of fact, Fiverr PRO is a great thing as it might attract different kinds of clients in the long run which can benefit us the regular sellers. For now, I have a mixed opinion, and I rather not share it completely. 🙂

When you got rejected, did they state the reason why?

I’ll second those well wishes and certainly the reasons in which everyone has brought forward and discussed. It is safe to say that everyone here in this thread has a vested interest in the success of Fiverr. We are all here to make money! Personally, I want to make as much as I possibly can. If Fiverr does not drive traffic to proven Sellers, then freelancers will find other means to make money.

Most businesses do not change until there is a pain point that is reached. Kind of like a PRO Football team. If the team has a losing season then they change players. But if the losing streak keeps going, then they will change management. As you can see in the graph, the 1st six months of the year, Fiverr was loosing its traffic. In the last 30 days it appears that traffic is on the rise. So there’s some good news, Lording willing we will all see that bump in traffic and business. !

Most businesses do not change until there is a pain point that is reached. Kind of like a PRO Football team. If the team has a losing season then they change players. But if the losing streak keeps going, then they will change management. As you can see in the graph, the 1st six months of the year, Fiverr was loosing its traffic. In the last 30 days it appears that traffic is on the rise. So there’s some good news, Lording willing we will all see that bump in traffic and business. !

It is interesting what Alexa shows us. Since January, the same month the new rating system began, the traffic were steadily going down, but I think the latest marketing campaign is working as intended, recovering traffic.

However, we lack key data here, that is conversion and gross revenues. Traffic can be increased using several methodologies, but that traffic needs to be turned into real sales, and the OPV (orders per 1000 visits for example) and ROI of the marketing campaigns shall increase alongside with traffic. That’s something we don’t know, so we really don’t know the Fiverr internal status, only their movements. But, whatever circumstances are happening inside HQ, the measures are just plain bad. Those won’t fix anything. Breaking the buyer perception of the site will not help in any scenario.

Like myself basically I’m a PRO in my niche, but since I didn’t work for big corporate like Apple and Tesla, it hard to get PRO.

Off-Topic: did you apply and get rejected?

Because I really don’t think your issue lies with not having worked with Elon Musk. It’s also not a prerequisite to have worked with a major brand in the past.

I got rejected 1 time but they didn’t explain the reason.

Now I feel sceptical really go PRO or not because it start with $100 and I don’t want to lose my long term customer relationship. That’s why I hope PRO can start with $50.

Now I feel sceptical really go PRO or not because it start with $100 and I don’t want to lose my long term customer relationship. That’s why I hope PRO can start with $50.

You may wish chat with some PRO’s about their experience Chris. Personally, I don’t want it. For me, it is all about the money. Seems like Level 2 and TRS are making much more money than any one of the PRO’s. So do what is best for your business, but ‘show me the money!’. (Jerry McQuire). 🙂

because it start with $100 and I don’t want to lose my long term customer relationship

Well then it all worked out for you in the end since you did not get accepted. 🙂

I’m pretty sure fiverr did all these changes to earn more, like any company does (looking for best profit).

What looks like, is that fiverr constantly changes it’s algorithm to find the best “formula” to increase fiverr earnings. BUT fiverr doesn’t seems to take in consideration the seasonality factor of businesses.

Unfortunately fiverr gives features deliberately (changes on number of reviews, good placement for new sellers, etc), instead encouraging sellers to earn them by their own efforts. It’s really nice for new sellers, but they dont realize they will never become a stable seller at fiverr platform.

Anyway you @juanwriter, your post is awesome. I really hope fiverr staff could take a look on this.

I’ll second those well wishes and certainly the reasons in which everyone has brought forward and discussed. It is safe to say that everyone here in this thread has a vested interest in the success of Fiverr. We are all here to make money! Personally, I want to make as much as I possibly can. If Fiverr does not drive traffic to proven Sellers, then freelancers will find other means to make money.

Alexa is Meh & not much use for anything at all. Trust me that is not painting a picture that is remotely like what is really going on.

I’m pretty sure fiverr did all these changes to earn more, like any company does (looking for best profit).

What looks like, is that fiverr constantly changes it’s algorithm to find the best “formula” to increase fiverr earnings. BUT fiverr doesn’t seems to take in consideration the seasonality factor of businesses.

Unfortunately fiverr gives features deliberately (changes on number of reviews, good placement for new sellers, etc), instead encouraging sellers to earn them by their own efforts. It’s really nice for new sellers, but they dont realize they will never become a stable seller at fiverr platform.

Anyway you @juanwriter, your post is awesome. I really hope fiverr staff could take a look on this.

Maybe they’d earn more if they supported more than 1 browser. If customers can’t even log in, they can’t buy.

Maybe they’d earn more if they supported more than 1 browser. If customers can’t even log in, they can’t buy.

They would earn more if they would promote better their best sellers, and encourage sellers to earn their reputation, instead just giving them.

I really don’t understand why fiverr try to obfuscate the top sellers (by ridiculous placement rotations, placing amateur sellers as being bestsellers, and hiding the total number of reviews), giving preference to new arrivals and amateur gigs, create a such ridiculous leveling system (where a seller with an overall 90% performance may get promoted, when another seller with an overall 97.25% can be demoted - see explanation below), and many others already discussed.

as talked above:

Seller 1: Response rate 90%, Delivered on time 90%, Order Completion 90%, Rating 90% (4.8), Overall 90%.

Seller 2: Response rate 100%, Delivered on time 100%, Order Completion 89%, Rating 100% (5.0). Overall 97.25%.

Seller 2 is clearly performing better, but also the one to get demoted.

I mean that some strategies of fiverr are so ridiculous, that when they are trying to make more money, they are just “pulling the carpet” below their own feet.

Fiverr clearly is trying to do more money, like any company, or even any seller at fiverr, but they wrongly just “raise” the prices instead adding value to their product.

They would earn more if they would promote better their best sellers, and encourage sellers to earn their reputation, instead just giving them.

I really don’t understand why fiverr try to obfuscate the top sellers (by ridiculous placement rotations, placing amateur sellers as being bestsellers, and hiding the total number of reviews), giving preference to new arrivals and amateur gigs, create a such ridiculous leveling system (where a seller with an overall 90% performance may get promoted, when another seller with an overall 97.25% can be demoted - see explanation below), and many others already discussed.

as talked above:

Seller 1: Response rate 90%, Delivered on time 90%, Order Completion 90%, Rating 90% (4.8), Overall 90%.

Seller 2: Response rate 100%, Delivered on time 100%, Order Completion 89%, Rating 100% (5.0). Overall 97.25%.

Seller 2 is clearly performing better, but also the one to get demoted.

I mean that some strategies of fiverr are so ridiculous, that when they are trying to make more money, they are just “pulling the carpet” below their own feet.

Fiverr clearly is trying to do more money, like any company, or even any seller at fiverr, but they wrongly just “raise” the prices instead adding value to their product.

Yes, I don’t understand those measures also, and I bet no one here can explain them in a reasonable way. Yes, they “may” benefit PRO sellers, but at the expense of the entire marketplace which is ridiculous. The PRO niche is nice and we have plenty of space, besides, a high price tier is a good movement. But the implementation to get the new model working is, well, not working, and won’t do it, never.

With the last movement, a painful side effect has struck the marketplace. It’s easy to spot: now Fiverr looks like a Fiverr clone . At first glance, now this platform looks like a new website . Sellers have lost their seniority, the ratings are so low it looks like there is almost no traffic here.

Did you by any chance see the reply to another topic where I said this exact same thing 2-days ago? (Don’t worry if you did.)

Indeed, you are spot on with your assessment of the current state of affairs. All that I would add is that even if any of the changes implemented over the past 6-months were to prove advantageous to Fiverr, Fiverr won’t ever know it. Too much has been changed at once and too soon after other changes. This makes measuring the pros and cons of specific new features impossible.

Fiverr does now look like a Fiverr clone. Worse, I was recently made aware of a new Fiverr clone which processes all transactions in cryptocurrency. I personally don’t think that this new site will take off but only for 2 reasons. (Though reasons which very well might be remedied if that platform engages in dialog with real freelancers.)

My point is that Fiverr may not want to acknowledge flaws in its current thinking but eventually, competitors will and they WILL attempt to exploit these.

I also think it is important to note that there are already Pro freelance marketplaces online which offer a far superior standard of service compared to Fiverr Pro. In-house editorial teams check work before it is delivered to clients. Pro sellers are tested for their competency. Most importantly of all, Pro services don’t start at a $100 price benchmark. - In short, Fiverr may not want to appreciate this but buyers Fiverr is hoping to attract to Pro are already aware of other (arguably better) options on the market.

I did feel threatened by Fiverr Pro when Pro was announced last year. However, this feeling quickly passed as I realized that Fiverr Pro catered for an entirely different clientele. Now everything has come full circle but not because of the success of Pro. Instead, it seems that Fiverr is now prepared to stop at nothing to keep Pro alive by purposefully undermining everyone else.

The biggest problem with all of this craziness? Fiverr now feels like a clone for buyers from a usability standpoint. No one spends money when finding a good seller becomes tantamount to guesswork. Then there are the hidden fees, the RIP shopping cart, the promotion of Pro sellers over everyone else despite comparatively poor reviews…

If you didn’t see my own post pointing out how Fiverr looks like a clone, this is pretty damning for Fiverr. It means that other buyers and sellers will quickly start coming to the same conclusion and possibly start acting on this.

It’s a huge shame. A few years ago working hard got you far on Fiverr. Now working hard on Fiverr is just outright detrimental for overall freelance careers.

Good post. Also, you have a very interesting gig niche. Loath though I am to say it, you should try and save yourself from this madness by applying to become a Pro seller yourself. 😉

how come you’re not a top rated seller? I check out your profile looks like you should be…

@juanwriter, you just voiced out my mind here. I worked hard when I first joined fiverr; this was by offering more, and better services than the regular seller in my niche. I was rewarded by ranking top-most on search (at that time).
You know when last my gig was on the first page?
4 months ago. I was ripped off there for no reason. Did marketing for my gigs through my social media channels and my blogs, I’m getting orders but I can’t even get to the 3rd page

No matter how hard I try, I’m not rewarded at all.

I always making mighty efforts to meet monthly evaluations, but the truth is that no one that has a good number of orders will be able to satisfy all that condition. Does it mean I didn’t do my best during that month?

The Pro thing is Fiverr’s worst mistake I have ever seen. You started a company years ago with the idea of delivering great services at a low cost and now you are bringing in captains of industry to come compete with these same people (sellers) that bought into your ideology years ago?

Ain’t no fairness here.

The search algorithm is something I weep for the most (don’t want to write about it). The same keyword will bring different results in a different order on different browsers, No consistency.

I’m glad you were able to voice out the minds of everyone.

You did well.

I did not read your Fiverr clone post, but I will look for it. Feels nice, I am not the only one that thinks that.

Regarding becoming PRO: it does not matter. Fiverr will survive only if we are all united as a team. Some will work with the PRO label in their gigs, others as TRS, others (like me now) as veteran regular sellers, others new sellers… we all fulfill our role for the different customers that comes here. PRO are more like what I do outside this platform, though my prices here are over the average in my niche, and I usually get medium size projects. PRO also mean now less customer base, it is challenging.

Truth. I’ve been thinking about these same things you all are discussing. Also, actively researching other platforms to take my business elsewhere.

• Fdavidson

BTW anyone notice (as a seller) how it seems they may be discouraging us more and more from requesting direct help about issues that cannot necessarily be resolved in faq’s search? As a veteran seller here, I cannot appreciate that. Even though I no longer have a “pro” or “trs” title, I still have made them a bit of money over the past couple years.

• Fdavidson

You may wish chat with some PRO’s about their experience Chris. Personally, I don’t want it. For me, it is all about the money. Seems like Level 2 and TRS are making much more money than any one of the PRO’s. So do what is best for your business, but ‘show me the money!’. (Jerry McQuire). 🙂

I believe this to be true.

• voiceoverpete: You may wish chat with some PRO’s about their experience Chris. Personally, I don’t want it. For me, it is all about the money. Seems like Level 2 and TRS are making much more money than any one of the PRO’s. So do what is best for your business, but ‘show me the money!’. (Jerry McQuire). :slight_smile:

Truth. I’ve been thinking about these same things you all are discussing. Also, actively researching other platforms to take my business elsewhere.

• Fdavidson

Also, actively researching other platforms to take my business elsewhere.

Fiverr is joke nowadays. Think and research, How many “apple” company/brand in this earth - Who do afford 10000$ for a logo design. 😄

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Does fiverr people really read forum posts ? I doubt it.

I completely support you, all these changes are hurting our sales.

But how we can make our concerns heard by the top management of fiverr who are the decision makers.

There is no channel of communication with them.

Well, this is no different than real life. If your friend is 1 mile away and you don’t have your mobile with you, you just shout as loud as you can 🙂 . I hope though our CEO is not 3000 miles away…

Well done Juan! Truly one of the best written and salient articles/discussions ever in the Forum. The blatant results are truly too numerous to point out and you could have even elaborated further.

After 25 years in corporate life, working at Fortune 100 companies, this is a repeat of one lesson: Channel Conflict. Fiverr has continued to exacerbate the situation seemingly at every move, which has not only Sellers and Buyers scratching their heads, but the Investors as well.

Juan, you aptly point out that from the launch there were mistakes made and now compounded. The idea is a good one, but the execution is where the good idea goes wrong. You cannot have mixed branding in the same marketplace. A Pro sits next to a TRS, even with Fiverr trying its best to strip the TRS of their accomplishments, the Buyer has to purchase from the TRS. Separating them was a good move by Fiverr with “Fiverr Pro Home”. But then Fiverr dropped the ball for a fumble by leaving all the PRO gigs still on regular Fiverr.

My traffic has continued to decline and if it continues to do so, then why stay on Fiverr. The platform has over 100,000 Sellers worldwide. It is the largest salesforce on the planet! If I were VP of Sales, this would be heaven by the shear numbers alone. All I would want is to be paid $1 per year plus commission of 10% on sales growth. In one year, I would be a millionaire. Instead of leveraging an incredible salesforce, they want to bring on more notable Sellers. What is not mentioned is the revolving door or drop rate. The PROs are dropping at a higher rate than non-Pro Sellers.

Your petition is a great idea. I like it. I’d like to think that Fiverr management would listen. However, based on the past, it seems unlikely. Think of the brain trust of Buyers and Sellers. It is untapped by management. They seem to proceed thinking their ideas are better than the ideas of Buyers & Sellers. If opinions mattered, then you would see a Seller/Buyer advisory board.

I would like to add to your petition though, Juan. Fiverr, let me control my business and not get penalized for making business decisions. For example, I qualify every Buyer. Either they are the business I want or not, for whatever reason. Sellers want to avoid a cancel if possible. If I can qualify upfront, then I won’t have to work through a cancel. Recently, one Buyer was just so blatantly bad that I wanted no part of his business and blocked him. I later found out that he was able to book an order! Four days were spent of wasted time. He wanted a $200 order for $15. He canceled and I took the hit for this poor policy, but had done the right thing for my business.

My female friend is no longer a TRS. Why? Because of cancelations. She states: No adult, no porn, no vulgar language, no lingerie. But she still gets orders with those stated restrictions. She is a professional on how well she handles them, but lost her status because she had too many cancels. Those moves are a legal minefield for Fiverr. Wait until the first lawsuit comes forward by a female (#MeToo), who is harassed and threatened, then penalized by Fiverr for canceling. Social Media will have a field day with that (just remember “pewdiepie” times 100). So let’s add that, it is our business to run with our morals and ethics, but not be penalized by them.

God bless you for this elaborate comment

amazing explanation. It is time to give up the fiverr and build your personal brand because your personal brand never destroy.

No , i don’t Think So , Fiverr is the best to start anyone , and earn quite , Never stop and never give up .

Yes bro. We all need to learn marketing and system building to get consistent flow of leads and clients

I believe this to be true.

• voiceoverpete: You may wish chat with some PRO’s about their experience Chris. Personally, I don’t want it. For me, it is all about the money. Seems like Level 2 and TRS are making much more money than any one of the PRO’s. So do what is best for your business, but ‘show me the money!’. (Jerry McQuire). :slight_smile:

Seems like Level 2 and TRS are making much more money than any one of the PRO’s.

That will always be the case. While they try to market these expensive things, the small ones more accessible are making sale after sale. Is a number’s game. You can’t tell me that a small percentage of the clients (maybe 1%) that are willing to spend money on a Pro gig bring the same amount of cash in as the majority of buyers. I bet they don’t even come close.

While I have no problem with promoting their PROs, they should learn to respect the cash bringers in here. If we are gone, Fiverr is gone. End of story.

I don’t see any veteran being happy with how they are treated here these days. If they keep testing our limits this way, something will happen eventually. I personally think they are laying the foundation of their own downfall. I wish they see it in time to change it for the better.

Fiverr seller support groups

i wd love to join that group.!! In the past 2 month - My earnings gone down 3000$ to 0$ now.

Even My earnings showing in negative balance because of some order cancellation by Fiverr support after 6 month of order completion.

I think, We are just wasting our time To paying 20% to our hardwork for fiverr with No respect and care!!

Wow, that is awful. Where is Fiverr really heading to? Huh!!

Archived