Fiverr: Stop promoting Other Sellers Gigs in Mine

Guest edlee_vo

Ed, to your original point, I’d offer the following:

1. Just as others are being exposed while viewing your gig, you also benefit from additional visibility on the gigs of others.

2. In our category the quality of the VO demo reel determines almost everything. Price, somewhat less, but it is a factor.

3. Considering points 1 and 2, you should only have a concern if you are worried that the majority of competitors have a product that is superior to yours. In my case, I welcome it because I believe I will win the vast majority of comparisons. Is that arrogant? Maybe a little. But if you don’t believe that you are the best here, then you will surely lose to someone who has that confidence in their work.

That’s not just applicable in Fiverr, but in everyday life as well.

I welcome it.

I am confident that the vast majority of gigs that appear under mine will not be a threat to me, and I feel that the folks who click away from the others to mine will see the quality of my offer and purchase.

In other words, sometimes you have to just stand on the bar and yell. “I can take any one of you in here, come on.”

If you are not confident enough to do that, you should re-examine the quality of either your offering, or your talents.

Besides, this is Fiverr. It will be gone in 3 months anyway.

Countdown to flag/flame/ban starts now.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest edlee_vo

Ed, to your original point, I’d offer the following:

1. Just as others are being exposed while viewing your gig, you also benefit from additional visibility on the gigs of others.

2. In our category the quality of the VO demo reel determines almost everything. Price, somewhat less, but it is a factor.

3. Considering points 1 and 2, you should only have a concern if you are worried that the majority of competitors have a product that is superior to yours. In my case, I welcome it because I believe I will win the vast majority of comparisons. Is that arrogant? Maybe a little. But if you don’t believe that you are the best here, then you will surely lose to someone who has that confidence in their work.

That’s not just applicable in Fiverr, but in everyday life as well.

I welcome it.

I am confident that the vast majority of gigs that appear under mine will not be a threat to me, and I feel that the folks who click away from the others to mine will see the quality of my offer and purchase.

In other words, sometimes you have to just stand on the bar and yell. “I can take any one of you in here, come on.”

If you are not confident enough to do that, you should re-examine the quality of either your offering, or your talents.

Besides, this is Fiverr. It will be gone in 3 months anyway.

Countdown to flag/flame/ban starts now.

Just as others are being exposed while viewing your gig, you also benefit from additional visibility on the gigs of others.

100% of the visitors to my page will be enticed to visit two other gigs (possibly six) away from mine. Of the thousands of other “recommendations” on thousands of other gigs, how many will come back to me?

In other words, the chance of my gig appearing on someone else’s and a buyer clicking on it are very, very, small. The chances that a buyer visiting my gig will see six other gigs “Recommended” for them by fiverr? 100%

* In our category the quality of the VO demo reel determines almost everything. Price, somewhat less, but it is a factor.

I have found it to be: price, reviews, Level and Sales to come before quality.

• Considering points 1 and 2, you should only have a concern if you are worried that the majority of competitors have a product that is superior to yours. In my case, I welcome it because I believe I will win the vast majority of comparisons. Is that arrogant? Maybe a little. But if you don’t believe that you are the best here, then you will surely lose to someone who has that confidence in their work.

Of the over 5,000 male gigs active on the platform there are bound to be many with a Price/Cost/Quality ratio equal or better to mine—a couple hundred at least. Fortunately they got lost in the crowd—that’s no longer the case.

I’m familiar with your work and your gigs. You are certainly at the top of your game and at the top of fiverr. You worked hard to get there. Your rates are higher even than mine (and well deserved.) But they weren’t always and I know what it takes to get where you are on fiverr.

What I’m saying is that it is now going to be a lot harder to stay there. Only you can decide if the money you are paying fiverr is worth it.

Just as others are being exposed while viewing your gig, you also benefit from additional visibility on the gigs of others.

100% of the visitors to my page will be enticed to visit two other gigs (possibly six) away from mine. Of the thousands of other “recommendations” on thousands of other gigs, how many will come back to me?

In other words, the chance of my gig appearing on someone else’s and a buyer clicking on it are very, very, small. The chances that a buyer visiting my gig will see six other gigs “Recommended” for them by fiverr? 100%

* In our category the quality of the VO demo reel determines almost everything. Price, somewhat less, but it is a factor.

I have found it to be: price, reviews, Level and Sales to come before quality.

• Considering points 1 and 2, you should only have a concern if you are worried that the majority of competitors have a product that is superior to yours. In my case, I welcome it because I believe I will win the vast majority of comparisons. Is that arrogant? Maybe a little. But if you don’t believe that you are the best here, then you will surely lose to someone who has that confidence in their work.

Of the over 5,000 male gigs active on the platform there are bound to be many with a Price/Cost/Quality ratio equal or better to mine—a couple hundred at least. Fortunately they got lost in the crowd—that’s no longer the case.

I’m familiar with your work and your gigs. You are certainly at the top of your game and at the top of fiverr. You worked hard to get there. Your rates are higher even than mine (and well deserved.) But they weren’t always and I know what it takes to get where you are on fiverr.

What I’m saying is that it is now going to be a lot harder to stay there. Only you can decide if the money you are paying fiverr is worth it.

I looked at your gigs and you are certainly capable. I know you did not ask, but the only thing I would suggest is that you are pricing yourself rather aggressively at this point.

To be completely honest here… If you do not receive any orders anymore and you HAVE TO go that route because of all of these recent changes here on fiverr, to me it makes much more sense to not forward any traffic to fiverr at all.

I mean what is the point, if you need to invest into external traffic, create a landing page as a funnel, just to make them go through fiverr? Why would anyone do that?

A simple domain, some cheap hosting along with some other tools which generally do not cost much, will get you your own website with a decent and direct checkout process. This takes some time and effort to build up but in the long run you will be much more independent and you do not need to rely on anyone else. Leaving fiverr altogether may not be a good idea either, but if I have to invest, I just don’t see why investing into a platform that takes a cut from your earnings and provides so little in return.

Social media traffic is not necessarily expensive. There are multiple ways to get cheap targeted traffic without buying ads, which I personally never had any luck with purchasing ads and broke even at best. Going completely independent I think is eventually what it will boil down to because fiverr seems to be unpredictable and you never know what tomorrow brings.

A simple domain, some cheap hosting along with some other tools which generally do not cost much, will get you your own website with a decent and direct checkout process

Converting leads to sales is more difficult that that though.

Never underestimate the value of a third-party platform to act as a go between buyer and seller. Ebay, Amazon, etc all exist, not because people cannot make a website for themselves but because people trust a bigger name site which gives social proof (reviews) of the seller’s services.

Anyway, this is O/T.

Oh, and there is Mike 👋

Guest edlee_vo

I looked at your gigs and you are certainly capable. I know you did not ask, but the only thing I would suggest is that you are pricing yourself rather aggressively at this point.

you are pricing yourself rather aggressively at this point.

For where I am now. But that is not where I was a few months ago.

you are pricing yourself rather aggressively at this point.

For where I am now. But that is not where I was a few months ago.

Now if the 5,000 who are not capable, but just own a microphone would drop off, that would be good for the rest of us. LOL

Guest edlee_vo

A simple domain, some cheap hosting along with some other tools which generally do not cost much, will get you your own website with a decent and direct checkout process

Never underestimate the value of a third-party platform to act as a go between buyer and seller. Ebay, Amazon, etc all exist, not because people cannot make a website for themselves but because people trust a bigger name site which gives social proof (reviews) of the seller’s services.

Anyway, this is O/T.

Oh, and there is Mike 👋

Ebay, Amazon, etc all exist, not because people cannot make a website for themselves but because people trust a bigger name site which gives social proof (reviews) of the seller’s services.

Not really OT at all. And I would agree that it used to be that way on fiverr. Now with the onerous Cancellation Policy and this new debacle? Not so much.

Anyway, this is O/T.

Oh, and there is Mike 👋

Oh, and there is Mike 👋

Hey, What’d I Miss? Cheers to you.

Anyway, this is O/T.

Oh, and there is Mike 👋

Never underestimate the value of a third-party platform to act as a go between buyer and seller. Ebay, Amazon

There for sure is some value, just a question of how much the given value is worth to each respective seller and buyer.

Converting leads is never a given. Also here, opinions differ and actually fiverr is not necessarily known to have such a great image to begin with so will you actually have benefits not being under fiverr’s wing? Who knows.

social proof (reviews)

You can have social proof with your own website as well, really common these days and websites are mostly linked to social media accounts anyway.

Generally, this is just an idea, given that fiverr is not gaining so much support lately as you surely know. But I think it is important that such topics can be also openly discussed here and again, in business there often is no guarantee either way you chose to go but it always good to know one’s options.

Please do not compare fiverr to amazon or ebay in any way. There is just too much of a gap between quality and service 😕

Never underestimate the value of a third-party platform to act as a go between buyer and seller. Ebay, Amazon

There for sure is some value, just a question of how much the given value is worth to each respective seller and buyer.

Converting leads is never a given. Also here, opinions differ and actually fiverr is not necessarily known to have such a great image to begin with so will you actually have benefits not being under fiverr’s wing? Who knows.

social proof (reviews)

You can have social proof with your own website as well, really common these days and websites are mostly linked to social media accounts anyway.

Generally, this is just an idea, given that fiverr is not gaining so much support lately as you surely know. But I think it is important that such topics can be also openly discussed here and again, in business there often is no guarantee either way you chose to go but it always good to know one’s options.

Please do not compare fiverr to amazon or ebay in any way. There is just too much of a gap between quality and service 😕

Who knows.

Well, it works well for me.

given that fiverr is not gaining so much support lately as you surely know

Based on the forum? Some bad press from blogs? (who coincidentally don’t like their prices being undercut)

Come on, the site sells a million gigs a month and you are talking about a very small number of complaints being voiced in comparison.

A comparison to amazon or ebay is far more realistic/accurate than a suggestion that Fiverr is losing support/user base. Yes, absolutely, there have been a number of questionable developments over the past year or two but you know people were going berserk when Fiverr launched packages, saying it would never catch on. When Pro launched, it was like the sky was falling down. Reactionary posts on a forum is bread and butter and I would put sales figures far above those when considering how a site is doing.

Who knows.

Based on the forum? Some bad press from blogs? (who coincidentally don’t like their prices being undercut)

Come on, the site sells a million gigs a month and you are talking about a very small number of complaints being voiced in comparison.

A comparison to amazon or ebay is far more realistic/accurate than a suggestion that Fiverr is losing support/user base. Yes, absolutely, there have been a number of questionable developments over the past year or two but you know people were going berserk when Fiverr launched packages, saying it would never catch on. When Pro launched, it was like the sky was falling down. Reactionary posts on a forum is bread and butter and I would put sales figures far above those when considering how a site is doing.

Good for you to feel that way and sure, it is fabulous to identify and have some pride. It is fine to have different opinions - I am not here to convince anyone. I believe every buyer and seller can do their own decisions and learn from them. 👍

Guest edlee_vo

Who knows.

Hardly. But I am a member of two groups of a couple hundred actors who use fiverr. Many Top Sellers and Level Twos who have sacrificed much to get where they are. All of us have been on the platform over two years and 85 - 90% of us are extremely dissatisfied with how we are treated on the platform.

Most of them would never comment on the forums for many reasons—not the least of which are retribution, time and energy, and a feeling that fiverr just doesn’t care about Sellers.

We also have those who feel like jonbaas and happily go about whistling in the dark because, for whatever reason, they feel insulated from this. Because they are making a decent income they can never be convinced that they could make more.

So what you see in the Forum is the tip of the iceberg.

Who knows.

I know fiverr since many years now. And yes, I have to agree overall the quality is becoming better and my experience as a buyer certainly improved. I want to be proud being part of this community, using services and offer mine along the road. It is just that some changes, just like the change the OP mentions here, come suddenly and do not seem to be to our advantage. What is fiverr’s masterplan? Someone in headquarters must notice that there is some movement happening here and it should be taken seriously. WE WANT fiverr to succeed and we want to be part of it’s growth but sometimes it becomes very challenging to stand behind these sudden changes and whenever someone is frustrated and opens a thread, I cannot help but to agree because fiverr may have a longterm plan but a lot of sellers are struggling, me included.

Hardly. But I am a member of two groups of a couple hundred actors who use fiverr. Many Top Sellers and Level Twos who have sacrificed much to get where they are. All of us have been on the platform over two years and 85 - 90% of us are extremely dissatisfied with how we are treated on the platform.

Most of them would never comment on the forums for many reasons—not the least of which are retribution, time and energy, and a feeling that fiverr just doesn’t care about Sellers.

We also have those who feel like jonbaas and happily go about whistling in the dark because, for whatever reason, they feel insulated from this. Because they are making a decent income they can never be convinced that they could make more.

We also have those who feel like jonbaas and happily go about whistling in the dark

You know just because people have a different opinion to you does not mean you are right and they are wrong. As Tom said above, discussion is a good thing and those who have different opinions and experiences should be listened to just as much as those who agree with you. For all you know, it is you and a couple of hundred or thousand or 10 thousand who are actually in the dark. Not saying you are, just that you should perhaps welcome it as part of a wider discussion rather than just saying they are wrong.

It is just that some changes, just like the change the OP mentions here, come suddenly and do not seem to be to our advantage

I fully agree - Fiverr’s communication of changes and the reasons behind them stinks. For a community of sellers and buyers and as a company that says they listen to the community, communication is vital and should be done regularly.

eg. we all spent last month bemoaning the $2 min fee and then we hear about a live CS chat beta happening. If that had been mentioned properly at the time, it might have softened the perceived blow of the fee!

Guest mahmadr

We Should Just Focus on Our Gigs To Make Them More Attractive Then I think Our Customer Will Never Left Our Gig Without Order

Now, add in

, just for fun, the possibility that Fiverr shows them the exact same gigs you have, which belong to one or two of your favourite copy-cats, just cheaper. And then, next thing is the copy-cat is in your inbox trying to make you sell them your gig for cheaper than theirs. 👀

, just for fun, the possibility that Fiverr shows them the exact same gigs you have, which belong to one or two of your favourite copy-cats, just cheaper. And then, next thing is the copy-cat is in your inbox trying to make you sell them your gig for cheaper than theirs. 👀

In a situation like that, I would gladly say no to the copycat, and watch his/her order receive a negative rating because they have no idea how to do the work that I do. I believe there’s a word for that… “karma”. 😉

In a situation like that, I would gladly say no to the copycat, and watch his/her order receive a negative rating because they have no idea how to do the work that I do. I believe there’s a word for that… “karma”. 😉

Thing is, they only get a negative rating if the buyer knows what they are getting or what they aren’t getting, which isn’t always the case, in some categories more than others, though, I suppose. Karma seems to be blind and lame too, sometimes, or those people have some really good side to balance the not so nice ones that they just don’t reveal on here.

However, it was more to alleviate the discussion a bit than a real concern.

i am hardly whistling happily in the dark. I am always working to stay ahead of the curve. Just because you feel one way, does not mean that you have any idea what I do behind the scenes. I work hard for my success – but I am not going to share the specific details of what I do to earn that success. That would be a bad business move on my part.

Please don’t make false assumptions about me, just because it furthers your personal talking points. When you know the truth about me and why I do what I do, then you can talk.

Yes, I am happy with my income right now. And no, I am not ignoring the fact that I could always be making more than I do.

To be completely honest here… If you do not receive any orders anymore and you HAVE TO go that route because of all of these recent changes here on fiverr, to me it makes much more sense to not forward any traffic to fiverr at all.

I mean what is the point, if you need to invest into external traffic, create a landing page as a funnel, just to make them go through fiverr? Why would anyone do that?

A simple domain, some cheap hosting along with some other tools which generally do not cost much, will get you your own website with a decent and direct checkout process. This takes some time and effort to build up but in the long run you will be much more independent and you do not need to rely on anyone else. Leaving fiverr altogether may not be a good idea either, but if I have to invest, I just don’t see why investing into a platform that takes a cut from your earnings and provides so little in return.

Social media traffic is not necessarily expensive. There are multiple ways to get cheap targeted traffic without buying ads, which I personally never had any luck with purchasing ads and broke even at best. Going completely independent I think is eventually what it will boil down to because fiverr seems to be unpredictable and you never know what tomorrow brings.

@edlee_vo Howdy, Ed!

I agree with you on this one. Recommended gigs on our Gigs is a pile of 💩.

I never understood the logic behind this decision. It certainly doesn’t compel me to market my gigs to give my competitors free traffic/exposure. I’d much rather exhaust my energy, and spend a bunch of moolah promoting my non-5r. businesses.

A simple domain, some cheap hosting along with some other tools which generally do not cost much, will get you your own website with a decent and direct checkout process. This takes some time and effort to build up but in the long run you will be much more independent and you do not need to rely on anyone else.

You deserve a 🍪

Gotta ❤️

Maestro, OMG! 😯

I had to do a double take to see if it was really you. 😁

So, happy to see you here. 🎉

I don’t like this at all. Why they would put other people gigs on our gigs? Who even thought of that?

They could easily make Other gigs by “this seller”.

If I am promoting my gigs, why someone else would benefit from it?

Also, as this is the case, why then on Fiverr main page we don’t have some competitor website displayed?

this will really effecting to the new sellers. if clients saw " top rated " seller in recommendation section with lot of reviews, they will definitely orders from him… so there are no benefit for promoter…

if clients saw " top rated " seller in recommendation section with lot of reviews, they will definitely orders from him

Possibly, but not necessarily.

would not be a bad idea if there was a shopping cart system or indeed, if it was shown after the purchase.

That would be better.

I am finding ways to succeed within the platform Fiverr provides. I would rather be earning income and helping my clients solve their problems, then spending my time doing something (complaining here on the forum) that earns me nothing.

Fiverr will do what Fiverr chooses to do. And I will do what I need to do to earn an income, within their rules.

Yeah, I’ve found on websites that even when the owners ask for input and opinions, they end up doing what they want to do, or what they proposed to do in the first place. Just best to find a way to adapt from the get-go.

What you may call adapting, I call appeasing. Whatever you call it, change comes from action not inaction.

Nothing wrong with voicing dislike for changes. I understand that determination, because I’ve always been a rabble-rouser. Through experience with online venues though, I’ve found that mostly the owners make the changes that they want, despite any negative effects on the members. Occasionally, they will modify a change or revert. For the most part, they alter and stand firm through all the spitting, cursing and weeping. So, once I make my statement, or read the cries of others, I get back to work adjusting in a way that will benefit me. Not giving you advice, just joining in on the conversation for a minute.

@edlee_vo Howdy, Ed!

I agree with you on this one. Recommended gigs on our Gigs is a pile of 💩.

I never understood the logic behind this decision. It certainly doesn’t compel me to market my gigs to give my competitors free traffic/exposure. I’d much rather exhaust my energy, and spend a bunch of moolah promoting my non-5r. businesses.

A simple domain, some cheap hosting along with some other tools which generally do not cost much, will get you your own website with a decent and direct checkout process. This takes some time and effort to build up but in the long run you will be much more independent and you do not need to rely on anyone else.

You deserve a 🍪

Gotta ❤️

Maestro, OMG! 😯

I had to do a double take to see if it was really you. 😁

Right back at cha. Hope all is well!

I don’t think anyone could see any good coming of this.

Fiverr probably does. Otherwise, they wouldn’t have this feature in place. I’m not defending this on gigs, but, it it’s there, Fiverr has a reason for it being there that we may never know.

Sure, fiverr has a reason for everything and is 100% right in any decision. Like, when they warned me about my account for asking them to change a negative feedback a buyer placed by mistake. The buyer himself admited his mistake and sent a ticket about this to customer support. After this, fiverr got back to me with a warning about my account. So yes, fiverr has a reason for everything and no one can doubt its desicions 😛

Guest edlee_vo

We also have those who feel like jonbaas and happily go about whistling in the dark

You know just because people have a different opinion to you does not mean you are right and they are wrong. As Tom said above, discussion is a good thing and those who have different opinions and experiences should be listened to just as much as those who agree with you. For all you know, it is you and a couple of hundred or thousand or 10 thousand who are actually in the dark. Not saying you are, just that you should perhaps welcome it as part of a wider discussion rather than just saying they are wrong.

It is just that some changes, just like the change the OP mentions here, come suddenly and do not seem to be to our advantage

I fully agree - Fiverr’s communication of changes and the reasons behind them stinks. For a community of sellers and buyers and as a company that says they listen to the community, communication is vital and should be done regularly.

eg. we all spent last month bemoaning the $2 min fee and then we hear about a live CS chat beta happening. If that had been mentioned properly at the time, it might have softened the perceived blow of the fee!

You know just because people have a different opinion to you does not mean you are right and they are wrong.

I guess I just don’t understand what a debate is. He says I’m wrong. I say he’s wrong. We justify our positions. That’s called having a discussion. If I thought he was right there would be no discussion.

You know just because people have a different opinion to you does not mean you are right and they are wrong.

I guess I just don’t understand what a debate is. He says I’m wrong. I say he’s wrong. We justify our positions. That’s called having a discussion. If I thought he was right there would be no discussion.

It’s possible to disagree without saying someone is wrong or “whistling in the dark”.

Two different perspectives can both be right (or wrong) too.

Archived