Fiverr: Stop promoting Other Sellers Gigs in Mine

Guest edlee_vo

this will really effecting to the new sellers. if clients saw " top rated " seller in recommendation section with lot of reviews, they will definitely orders from him… so there are no benefit for promoter…

well yeah @omanbux , but that’s normal and happen in every marketplace and even happens in traditional markets.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest humanissocial

You can’t control it if you throw up your hands and let fiverr walk all over you.

Fiverr is not “walking all over me”, I just don’t see it as a problem. My sales are doing just fine, and I am easily winning over my clients with a fantastic gig and top-quality service.

I see no point in joining the few “forum rioters” that are trying to collectively control Fiverr’s actions. Fiverr does what they do to improve their bottom line… and I do what I need to do to improve my bottom line. That’s how business works.

@edlee_vo I’m not sure what constitutes letting Fiverr “walk all over you.”

All @jonbaas is saying is that he is adapting to the reality of the platform. He isn’t justifying any practices.

Your Ford analogy doesn’t work because that isn’t how ads work and it wouldn’t make sense financially for Facebook to operate that way. You please the client who is paying you.

Guest edlee_vo

@edlee_vo I’m not sure what constitutes letting Fiverr “walk all over you.”

All @jonbaas is saying is that he is adapting to the reality of the platform. He isn’t justifying any practices.

Your Ford analogy doesn’t work because that isn’t how ads work and it wouldn’t make sense financially for Facebook to operate that way. You please the client who is paying you.

What you may call adapting, I call appeasing. Whatever you call it, change comes from action not inaction.

Nitpicking my examples to explain difficult concepts to those who will not listen is shooting the messenger instead of addressing the problem. While I believe my example is apt in concept if not execution, this is not the point of debate here.

fiverr advertising my competitor’s services on my selling page is, disrespectful, counter-productive, unfair and weakens my business. I’m sorry that you can’t see that. I wish you good luck.

I don’t have the recommended section under my gig. All i see is another one of my gigs.

You have to look at your own gig with an incognito window or while you are not logged in. Just like a Buyer would see your gig.

Use search and look at other gigs in your category. If they have this then you can rest assured that you do too,’

Correct, it has been spotted.

Guest offlinehelpers

So, should I be worried about promoting my gigs on social media?

If you’re going to spend money on any promotion, and even if you’re not really, I’d send any SM traffic to a landing or squeeze page first rather than sending them straight to your gig. 😉

If you’re going to spend money on any promotion, and even if you’re not really, I’d send any SM traffic to a landing or squeeze page first rather than sending them straight to your gig. 😉

After reading the comment, I think they will remove this thread.

What you may call adapting, I call appeasing. Whatever you call it, change comes from action not inaction.

Nitpicking my examples to explain difficult concepts to those who will not listen is shooting the messenger instead of addressing the problem. While I believe my example is apt in concept if not execution, this is not the point of debate here.

fiverr advertising my competitor’s services on my selling page is, disrespectful, counter-productive, unfair and weakens my business. I’m sorry that you can’t see that. I wish you good luck.

If i see any reply from jonbaas I probably will pay my respect in heart of his loyalty to fiverr and just move on. Hope you get what I meant.

If i see any reply from jonbaas I probably will pay my respect in heart of his loyalty to fiverr and just move on. Hope you get what I meant.

If i see any reply from jonbaas I probably will pay my respect in heart of his loyalty to fiverr and just move on.

Excellent. I appreciate your “respects”… Go ahead and “move on”. 😉

For example : I click @jonbaas promoting link, but after that I see @edlee_vo gigs is more interesting, so I decide to buy some service from @edlee_vo gigs. so, will @jonbaas get benefit from directing sells to @edlee_vo ?

The way I look at it, if a buyer doesn’t choose to purchase my services in this situation, then my service isn’t capturing their attention, and I need to fix that. Why should I worry about something I cannot control? I’ll just be the awesome seller that I am, and let the market decide whether or not I keep earning my sales.

The way I look at it, if a buyer doesn’t choose to purchase my services in this situation, then my service isn’t capturing their attention, and I need to fix that. Why should I worry about something I cannot control? I’ll just be the awesome seller that I am, and let the market decide whether or not I keep earning my sales.

I can understand the annoyance of it though to be fair.

I just went to your main brandman gig and there were two others “Recommended”, both at a lower price. I have to say, even as convincing as your description is, I would feel compelled to click through to check the others - After all, they are “Recommended for me” although quite why is never stated. Maybe Fiverr wants to save me money by ordering from someone cheaper, maybe they know something I don’t know - the average buyer will not think that Fiverr just randomly selected a couple of gigs with a similar keyword and slapped a Recommended badge on them! That would be ridiculous!

So now I am on their page (not opened in a new window) and your gig is nowhere to be seen. The recommended gigs on their page are irrelevant to what I was originally looking for and I have read their description and long since forgotten yours. Where do I go from here? I might click back to go back to you but that is not a particularly common action and besides, if the competition’s gig is decent, I would likely order that one.

Now, add in the idea that perhaps your Facebook ad was what brought the visitor to Fiverr and your gig in the first place - that’s just annoying.

Overall, this looks like a badly implemented version of “People who bought this item also bought…” which would not be a bad idea if there was a shopping cart system or indeed, if it was shown after the purchase. This idea I could get behind, not randomly recommending someone based on nothing but keyword similarity.

I just went to your main brandman gig and there were two others “Recommended”, both at a lower price. I have to say, even as convincing as your description is, I would feel compelled to click through to check the others - After all, they are “Recommended for me” although quite why is never stated. Maybe Fiverr wants to save me money by ordering from someone cheaper, maybe they know something I don’t know - the average buyer will not think that Fiverr just randomly selected a couple of gigs with a similar keyword and slapped a Recommended badge on them! That would be ridiculous!

So now I am on their page (not opened in a new window) and your gig is nowhere to be seen. The recommended gigs on their page are irrelevant to what I was originally looking for and I have read their description and long since forgotten yours. Where do I go from here? I might click back to go back to you but that is not a particularly common action and besides, if the competition’s gig is decent, I would likely order that one.

Now, add in the idea that perhaps your Facebook ad was what brought the visitor to Fiverr and your gig in the first place - that’s just annoying.

Overall, this looks like a badly implemented version of “People who bought this item also bought…” which would not be a bad idea if there was a shopping cart system or indeed, if it was shown after the purchase. This idea I could get behind, not randomly recommending someone based on nothing but keyword similarity.

Now, add in

, just for fun, the possibility that Fiverr shows them the exact same gigs you have, which belong to one or two of your favourite copy-cats, just cheaper. And then, next thing is the copy-cat is in your inbox trying to make you sell them your gig for cheaper than theirs. 👀

Now, add in

, just for fun, the possibility that Fiverr shows them the exact same gigs you have, which belong to one or two of your favourite copy-cats, just cheaper. And then, next thing is the copy-cat is in your inbox trying to make you sell them your gig for cheaper than theirs. 👀

and on the last one is free :crazy_face:

Guest offlinehelpers

For example : I click @jonbaas promoting link, but after that I see @edlee_vo gigs is more interesting, so I decide to buy some service from @edlee_vo gigs. so, will @jonbaas get benefit from directing sells to @edlee_vo ?

Why should I worry about something I cannot control?

Those are the things in life in general, and on Fiverr in particular which do worry me most.

I can do all the stuff I can to be the best seller I can, and suddenly a new ‘feature’ like this one pops up to remove what little control I thought I had.

Those are the things in life in general, and on Fiverr in particular which do worry me most.

I can do all the stuff I can to be the best seller I can, and suddenly a new ‘feature’ like this one pops up to remove what little control I thought I had.

113181_1.png offlinehelpers:

In business, when you loose control, it’s time for action, or you are out. Usually, you move your business to a more controlled space, or face the risks of lacking a reasonable control over your business environment.

No, the recommended gigs are another bad idea to add to the pile sighs… it discourages the external gig promotion, which is bad for Fiverr traffic.

What’s happening lately Fiverr? Who is in charge of the nonsense that plagues the marketing plan of your business? I see beheaded business corpses if the plannification does not get reformed asap. Numbers will tell.

Guest edlee_vo

Thank you. You will also note that they have added four additional “Recommended for you” at the bottom where they only before had your other gigs and gigs you had already viewed.

They are really piling on.

I agree with you, that if they only saw these when they clicked away from my gig, or after ordering (which might promote the dreaded Cancellation,) it would be better. I still wouldn’t like it, but I could accept it.

Good idea.

Guest edlee_vo
65841_1.png jonbaas:

In business, when you loose control, it’s time for action, or you are out. Usually, you move your business to a more controlled space, or face the risks of lacking a reasonable control over your business environment.

No, the recommended gigs are another bad idea to add to the pile sighs… it discourages the external gig promotion, which is bad for Fiverr traffic.

What’s happening lately Fiverr? Who is in charge of the nonsense that plagues the marketing plan of your business? I see beheaded business corpses if the plannification does not get reformed asap. Numbers will tell.

Let’s hope we can hang on while fiverr is playing in the sandbox. I’m glad so many here see the handwriting on the wall and know what it means.

I understand being customer-centric, but fiverr seems to forget that we are their customers, too. We pay them (a lot. 20% plus fees.) It seems we do not get any respect. Cue Rodney Dangerfield. (Google him if you don’t know.)

Guest offlinehelpers

Just looking at a random gig at the moment.

On the page as a whole, there are 6 ‘recommended’ for you, 4 of the seller’s other gigs, and 6 recently viewed, so 12 opportunities to click away from the gig I may have wanted to buy in the first place to other sellers’ gigs. I do hope anybody doing paid advertising for their gigs is aware of this, otherwise they’re going to have to look at their budgets a bit more closely.

BTW I know it’s August, but I’ve never seen so many sellers on ‘out of oiffice’ mode. 😉

Guest edlee_vo

Just looking at a random gig at the moment.

On the page as a whole, there are 6 ‘recommended’ for you, 4 of the seller’s other gigs, and 6 recently viewed, so 12 opportunities to click away from the gig I may have wanted to buy in the first place to other sellers’ gigs. I do hope anybody doing paid advertising for their gigs is aware of this, otherwise they’re going to have to look at their budgets a bit more closely.

BTW I know it’s August, but I’ve never seen so many sellers on ‘out of oiffice’ mode. 😉

I do hope anybody doing paid advertising for their gigs is aware of this, otherwise they’re going to have to look at their budgets a bit more closely.

So true. Also, don’t forget that we already are paying fiverr for this space—20% of everything we sell, plus fees. Many folks forget this because we never see it. They forget that “Freelance” isn’t free.

I was looking for a video service yesterday and also noticed the two recommended gigs being displayed further down on the page.

Naturally, I checked them both out but since they were videos, I was able to do that without leaving the actual gig page. I get the general concern here but I also understand that @jonbaas get’s his customers from external sources and he probably establishes authority before they even land on his gig.

This may be the route to go… Get people to your landing page, establish trust, professional authority and let them see you know your stuff so that by the time they come to your fiverr gig, they will be less tempted to check anyone else out.

Now, it comes down to your budget I assume and there is always the risk that someone chooses someone else over you because of the nature of fiverr, being a freelance platform for everybody. Not very fond of all of the recent changes myself but hey, I perceive these threads here on the forum as a good thing - there is hope, be loud and clear.

Guest edlee_vo

I was looking for a video service yesterday and also noticed the two recommended gigs being displayed further down on the page.

Naturally, I checked them both out but since they were videos, I was able to do that without leaving the actual gig page. I get the general concern here but I also understand that @jonbaas get’s his customers from external sources and he probably establishes authority before they even land on his gig.

This may be the route to go… Get people to your landing page, establish trust, professional authority and let them see you know your stuff so that by the time they come to your fiverr gig, they will be less tempted to check anyone else out.

Now, it comes down to your budget I assume and there is always the risk that someone chooses someone else over you because of the nature of fiverr, being a freelance platform for everybody. Not very fond of all of the recent changes myself but hey, I perceive these threads here on the forum as a good thing - there is hope, be loud and clear.

there is hope, be loud and clear.

Well, I agree with the latter. It may bring the former. Just sitting in the tree, waiting to get picked off, is not the solution.

Your ideas are fine, but expensive, and should not be necessary if fiverr allowed us the tools we need and didn’t keep throwing roadblocks in our way.

Guest edlee_vo

After reading several of the responses here, I can’t help but be amazed at the idea of paying to advertise (or use our own social media) to bring buyers to our fiverr gigs.

I did that for a while and got lots of clicks by Tweeting my gig several times a day. fiverr even gave me a slightly better placement in return. However I stopped that when fiverr changed their Cancellation Policy, making it much harder for me to do business on fiverr. If that had not happened, this debacle would have triggered it.

Now I know many other professionals and those wanting to become professionals in my field out in the real world. They do a similar thing to the advice that I’ve seen here. That is run a marketing campaign that sends all their prospects to voiceover Pay to Play sites.

Now why, after spending lots of time, energy, and money, would I send my warm prospects to a place where they have access to thousands of my competitors? At least at those sites they don’t actively tell my prospects, “Hey thanks for visiting Ed’s Page. Here’s a few other talents you might like better.”

But that’s what fiverr is doing here. Let’s not kid ourselves—fiverr is a Pay to Play site, too. We pay fiverr lot of money to do business in their marketplace. Do you think I advertise and market in the Real World and then send my prospects here where fiverr is going to tell them they may like a few of my competitors better?

Am I going to send them here to fiverr where I have to charge below market rates and then pay fiverr 20% for the privilege? Or am I going to send them to my website where I can sell them in a controlled environment and charge them Market Rates?

Sure I am still going to use fiverr as an additional income stream, it has its place. But the way fiverr is going, they may lose me as a customer.

fiverr is desperately trying to shake its $5 image and promote pros. Why is it shooting itself in the foot?

After reading several of the responses here, I can’t help but be amazed at the idea of paying to advertise (or use our own social media) to bring buyers to our fiverr gigs.

I did that for a while and got lots of clicks by Tweeting my gig several times a day. fiverr even gave me a slightly better placement in return. However I stopped that when fiverr changed their Cancellation Policy, making it much harder for me to do business on fiverr. If that had not happened, this debacle would have triggered it.

Now I know many other professionals and those wanting to become professionals in my field out in the real world. They do a similar thing to the advice that I’ve seen here. That is run a marketing campaign that sends all their prospects to voiceover Pay to Play sites.

Now why, after spending lots of time, energy, and money, would I send my warm prospects to a place where they have access to thousands of my competitors? At least at those sites they don’t actively tell my prospects, “Hey thanks for visiting Ed’s Page. Here’s a few other talents you might like better.”

But that’s what fiverr is doing here. Let’s not kid ourselves—fiverr is a Pay to Play site, too. We pay fiverr lot of money to do business in their marketplace. Do you think I advertise and market in the Real World and then send my prospects here where fiverr is going to tell them they may like a few of my competitors better?

Am I going to send them here to fiverr where I have to charge below market rates and then pay fiverr 20% for the privilege? Or am I going to send them to my website where I can sell them in a controlled environment and charge them Market Rates?

Sure I am still going to use fiverr as an additional income stream, it has its place. But the way fiverr is going, they may lose me as a customer.

fiverr is desperately trying to shake its $5 image and promote pros. Why is it shooting itself in the foot?

To be completely honest here… If you do not receive any orders anymore and you HAVE TO go that route because of all of these recent changes here on fiverr, to me it makes much more sense to not forward any traffic to fiverr at all.

I mean what is the point, if you need to invest into external traffic, create a landing page as a funnel, just to make them go through fiverr? Why would anyone do that?

A simple domain, some cheap hosting along with some other tools which generally do not cost much, will get you your own website with a decent and direct checkout process. This takes some time and effort to build up but in the long run you will be much more independent and you do not need to rely on anyone else. Leaving fiverr altogether may not be a good idea either, but if I have to invest, I just don’t see why investing into a platform that takes a cut from your earnings and provides so little in return.

Social media traffic is not necessarily expensive. There are multiple ways to get cheap targeted traffic without buying ads, which I personally never had any luck with purchasing ads and broke even at best. Going completely independent I think is eventually what it will boil down to because fiverr seems to be unpredictable and you never know what tomorrow brings.

Two people, one thought 😀

Guest edlee_vo

Two people, one thought 😀

But then again, it requires some investment, time and effort - not really sure how many would be up for that adventure

Hey! that would make a good Gig. :rofl:

“How to move your business off fiverr and onto your own website.”

BUAH HAHAhahahahahahahahahahaha

But then again, it requires some investment, time and effort - not really sure how many would be up for that adventure

Hey! that would make a good Gig. :rofl:

“How to move your business off fiverr and onto your own website.”

BUAH HAHAhahahahahahahahahahaha

mh… 😏

Archived