Why I decided to take my business away from Fiverr?

elmalak

But I do more like to call it business strategy.

it’s not business strategy beacuse it’s not allowed. It’s cheating only.

but there will be only dirty sellers and clean sellers, so which one are you want to be ? it’s up to you.

Actually it’s not about being clean or not, it’s about fiverr don’t giving a sh** if the dirty ones are being promoted instead the good ones.

being conniving with such behavior is the same as doing the same dirty “strategies”.

well, ehm yea, but let’s disguise the term with business strategy. 👀

fiverr don’t giving a sh** if the dirty ones are being promoted instead the good ones.

I believe not all big companies could solved this things. what we can do as members just do the best. Good luck and don’t forget to pray 🙏

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nowadays, like I mentioned (in other post), there are many fake sellers (who are buying their reviews, and using multiple accounts, and multiple similar gigs, all these violates ToS, but it’s completely manipulable) on top of rankings. Is this fair?

I’m not going to comment on the issue of fakes or paid reviews or multiple accounts here because it’s not really on topic for this thread. I read this topic as the OP posted it. In particular this:

the first month I was demoted from Level 2 to level 1 but now, when you’re at the “No level” stage, you don’t have buyer requests to apply for and you don’t appear on search high enough to get any sales, so basically lowering the level means lower traffic and less work and the main issue with this stage is that any tiny glitch, like a lower rating, late delivery or even an unrated gig, means your numbers go way down right away!

I currently have a 75% on-time delivery for a single missed delivery date during my 136 gigs I delivered!

In this thread, the emphasis seems to be on how level affects one’s ability to survive, make money, move up in the first place, move back up after a demotion and so on. To do those things you don’t need all of these, but they are relevant:

• Buyer Requests (should normally be a fraction of sales just to get things rolling in slow times)
  • Clients brought in from outside
  • New buyers recruited through outside promotions
  • Search rank from filters (matters if buyers just look at the page and use filters)
  • Search rank from keywords/tags (doesn’t matter if you are top or bottom as long as you pop up with the right keywords)

Sellers have a lot of influence on some of those. In fact, they have a lot of influence on all of them except frequency of BR and search rank from filters.

I’m not going to comment on the issue of fakes or paid reviews or multiple accounts here because it’s not really on topic for this thread. I read this topic as the OP posted it. In particular this:

sure sure. I may not expressed my self as I should. It was just to exemplify that better placement (almost the same as better in site traffics), which impacts where you appear in search.

So to keep in the same line and OP:

I agree, my clients don’t care about the level but it’s reflected on where you appear in search and how much traffic your gigs receive. The traffic I used to get as a Level 2 seller are comparable to what I have now.

Actually buyers do care about where your gig shows in search. After the last changes, my revenue dropped about 40% compared with previous month… Other time, in past, when similar change happened, I lost about 30% revenues compared with previous month. So, yes, it matters, because being found first at search/ranking you have better chances to get an order from a new buyer. Every single time fiverr changed the ranking where my gig dropped places, my revenues were affected, so I believe I can confirm that placement affect sales.

well, ehm yea, but let’s disguise the term with business strategy. 👀

fiverr don’t giving a sh** if the dirty ones are being promoted instead the good ones.

I believe not all big companies could solved this things. what we can do as members just do the best. Good luck and don’t forget to pray 🙏

I believe not all big companies could solved this things. what we can do as members just do the best.

Actually they could solve by chancing to a meritocracy based ranking. I’m not saying it will finish with bad behavior sellers, but it would help for sure.

In fiverr gold ages, it was a lot more difficult to spot sellers cheating. It wasn’t impossible to happen but a way more difficult.

But returning to OP, I don’t believe fiverr Level system affect sellers orders, but it affect fiverr revenues by limiting sellers to do more profits (like having more gigs, more extras, etc).

I like the new level system, but I don’t like how it works. for example a seller who have 100% completion rate, 100% delivered on time, 89% order completion and 5.0 stars will get demoted, while a seller with 90% in every aspects will get promoted. It’s a kind of a “lazy way” system to decide who get promoted and who will get demoted.

I don’t know how it can affect sales, because I still didn’t lost my levels. I believe it could impact a little negatively but not that much.

I believe not all big companies could solved this things. what we can do as members just do the best.

Actually they could solve by chancing to a meritocracy based ranking. I’m not saying it will finish with bad behavior sellers, but it would help for sure.

In fiverr gold ages, it was a lot more difficult to spot sellers cheating. It wasn’t impossible to happen but a way more difficult.

But returning to OP, I don’t believe fiverr Level system affect sellers orders, but it affect fiverr revenues by limiting sellers to do more profits (like having more gigs, more extras, etc).

I like the new level system, but I don’t like how it works. for example a seller who have 100% completion rate, 100% delivered on time, 89% order completion and 5.0 stars will get demoted, while a seller with 90% in every aspects will get promoted. It’s a kind of a “lazy way” system to decide who get promoted and who will get demoted.

I don’t know how it can affect sales, because I still didn’t lost my levels. I believe it could impact a little negatively but not that much.

I think soon or later they will solved it. There has been an improvement in the buyer requests of sector, where previously seen many sellers spam in the buyer requests of sector and now no longer exists. It’s just they forget to put back the buyers in the buyer requests of sector. lol.

ps : never stop for hopping the best. 🎉

Buyer Requests (should normally be a fraction of sales just to get things rolling in slow times)

That was exactly my first impression but to my surprise I found out that for me they are not available as I’m currently a “no level” seller, so I have no buyer requests available and again this diminished the chances of going up again as no new sales are coming!

Normally there are some buyer requests available to level 0 sellers, they are just limited. If your category is narrow, that might just limit you too much. In that case, I would just have to say that the other things on the list would be more helpful. I do understand if it makes you decide to leave Fiverr, but since Fiverr doesn’t cost anything, if it were me I would just check messages and work on your other income streams.

You are almost bound to get an occasional order if you were doing well before and it might take some time, but eventually, you are likely to level back up. Since some of your stats will improve over 60-90 days on their own, there is no reason you couldn’t keep Fiverr as just one income stream. Who knows what else will happen in the future since the level changes are recent and may not be permanent.

Nowadays, like I mentioned (in other post), there are many fake sellers (who are buying their reviews, and using multiple accounts, and multiple similar gigs, all these violates ToS, but it’s completely manipulable) on top of rankings.

I can feel you @xuntes but this old tricks will always be in parts of every business. After you knowing this, there are no more bad sellers or good sellers, but there will be only dirty sellers and clean sellers, so which one are you want to be ? it’s up to you.

But I do more like to call it business strategy.

old tricks will always be in parts of every business.

I do more like to call it business strategy.

Without getting too far into this, I disagree that ToS violations are just tricks or are in any way business strategies. They are absolutely unethical and sellers who use them should be banned when caught. I think that does happen in time, too, they just aren’t all caught right away. (Further discussion on this might be best for another thread - anyone can feel free to create a thread about cheaters and link to it for more talk on that.)

sure sure. I may not expressed my self as I should. It was just to exemplify that better placement (almost the same as better in site traffics), which impacts where you appear in search.

I agree, my clients don’t care about the level but it’s reflected on where you appear in search and how much traffic your gigs receive. The traffic I used to get as a Level 2 seller are comparable to what I have now.

Actually buyers do care about where your gig shows in search. After the last changes, my revenue dropped about 40% compared with previous month… Other time, in past, when similar change happened, I lost about 30% revenues compared with previous month. So, yes, it matters, because being found first at search/ranking you have better chances to get an order from a new buyer. Every single time fiverr changed the ranking where my gig dropped places, my revenues were affected, so I believe I can confirm that placement affect sales.

Actually buyers do care about where your gig shows in search. After the last changes, my revenue dropped about 40% compared with previous month…

I understand this is your experience and you can confirm it for yourself. There are other sellers who have said that ranking changes have not affected their income or sales, though I can’t say what other points from my list they might have been using. Whatever the case, some people have a different experience from yours.

old tricks will always be in parts of every business.

I do more like to call it business strategy.

Without getting too far into this, I disagree that ToS violations are just tricks or are in any way business strategies. They are absolutely unethical and sellers who use them should be banned when caught. I think that does happen in time, too, they just aren’t all caught right away. (Further discussion on this might be best for another thread - anyone can feel free to create a thread about cheaters and link to it for more talk on that.)

I disagree that ToS violations are just tricks or are in any way business strategies.

I didn’t say that Tos violations are just tricks or are in any way business strategies.

Xuntes-Screen-Shot-2018-07-31-at-1_15.02-PM.png.653e28cd28f64428cb6513cac5d4f371.png

I’m talking about this (the red lines).

ps : I like your cat.

I disagree that ToS violations are just tricks or are in any way business strategies.

I didn’t say that Tos violations are just tricks or are in any way business strategies.

02-PM

I’m talking about this (the red lines).

ps : I like your cat.

The post I was referring to is this one:

image.thumb.png.4fd8f22e9405efc873f8d5fa9573bffe.png

Xuntes referred to ToS violations like bought reviews, multiple accounts, etc. You responded saying:

“I do more like to call it business strategy.”

I may have misunderstood you and if so, we can leave it at that. No concerns.

Thanks for the comment about my cat! 🐱 Her name is Jade and she is my freelancing muse!

The post I was referring to is this one:

Xuntes referred to ToS violations like bought reviews, multiple accounts, etc. You responded saying:

“I do more like to call it business strategy.”

I may have misunderstood you and if so, we can leave it at that. No concerns.

Thanks for the comment about my cat! 🐱.

Helloooo Jadeeeeeeee!!! come to me Jade, just come come to me 🐆

I just wanted to re-visit this discussion, because the idea won’t seem to get out of my mind.

to re-iterate my point, but put it in another way:

I wouldn’t be surprised if fiverr designed their algorithm to be more favorable to top quality sellers who bring in new clients from their own promotional efforts, not relying on fiverr search alone.

Consider they may wish to promote sellers who bring in clients, and that could be their number one priority over promoting the best sellers. What if there is a seller who doesn’t do as good of a job as people we think should be at the top of search, but brings in lots of clients by promoting their gig off-site?

That is just an example of reasoning I can imagine behind promoting newer sellers, and expecting the best and most experienced sellers, after fiverr has already given you a lot of work and experience (experience which may have helped some become top quality seller), to bring in some outside traffic.

After the last changes, my revenue dropped about 40% compared with previous month

Mine have also dropped a lot although I don’t have an exact figure, but it certainly had a negative effect on me.

Normally there are some buyer requests available to level 0 sellers, they are just limited. If your category is narrow, that might just limit you too much. In that case, I would just have to say that the other things on the list would be more helpful. I do understand if it makes you decide to leave Fiverr, but since Fiverr doesn’t cost anything, if it were me I would just check messages and work on your other income streams.

You are almost bound to get an occasional order if you were doing well before and it might take some time, but eventually, you are likely to level back up. Since some of your stats will improve over 60-90 days on their own, there is no reason you couldn’t keep Fiverr as just one income stream. Who knows what else will happen in the future since the level changes are recent and may not be permanent.

You are almost bound to get an occasional order if you were doing well before and it might take some time, but eventually, you are likely to level back up.

That was exactly what happened when I was first demoted, but the risk with that is that with fewer orders, any simple mistake has a dramatic effect.

I once had a client who was very happy by my delivery and when trying to rate it on mobile, he clicked on a 2-star by mistake and then didn’t know how to fix it and we kept going back and forth with support who acted in a very bad way and never helped until it was too late and the review became permanent and of course, led to another level demotion!

I just wanted to re-visit this discussion, because the idea won’t seem to get out of my mind.

to re-iterate my point, but put it in another way:

I wouldn’t be surprised if fiverr designed their algorithm to be more favorable to top quality sellers who bring in new clients from their own promotional efforts, not relying on fiverr search alone.

Consider they may wish to promote sellers who bring in clients, and that could be their number one priority over promoting the best sellers. What if there is a seller who doesn’t do as good of a job as people we think should be at the top of search, but brings in lots of clients by promoting their gig off-site?

That is just an example of reasoning I can imagine behind promoting newer sellers, and expecting the best and most experienced sellers, after fiverr has already given you a lot of work and experience (experience which may have helped some become top quality seller), to bring in some outside traffic.

Yes, but there is the small fact that bringing clients to Fiverr is no longer in anyone’s interest.

As a freelancer, I can not risk my relationship with a client who I work with off-Fiverr by saying: "Hey, come and order from me from Fiverr for $2 more than you would pay usually, coupled with some severe future communication limitations."

No one does this, not even Pro sellers.

Paying for targeted FB ads and the like is different. However, if you are a successful seller, it does not make sense to start paying to promote your Fiverr gigs because Fiverr has decided that they want to promote other sellers over you.

Your theory is likely correct. However, if Fiverr’s goal is to entice more sellers to bring their clients to Fiverr, their MO is flawed to say the least.

Yes, but there is the small fact that bringing clients to Fiverr is no longer in anyone’s interest.

As a freelancer, I can not risk my relationship with a client who I work with off-Fiverr by saying: "Hey, come and order from me from Fiverr for $2 more than you would pay usually, coupled with some severe future communication limitations."

Paying for targeted FB ads and the like is different. However, if you are a successful seller, it does not make sense to start paying to promote your Fiverr gigs because Fiverr has decided that they want to promote other sellers over you.

Your theory is likely correct. However, if Fiverr’s goal is to entice more sellers to bring their clients to Fiverr, their MO is flawed to say the least.

Fiverr has an incredibly low barrier to entry, it’s a very competitive market. They probably feel as though they have an abundance of people who want to sell services here, most of whom aren’t getting as much business as they’d like.

I’m not a fiverr advocate… but I will continue to bring clients here if it means that my gigs will remain relevant. I rather enjoy not having to manage payment for myself. In another year I’ll probably learn some other way to earn money online, or sooner if fiverr changes something that makes it hard for me to earn an income here.

Fiver is a tool, not a life plan. Not saying you view it that way, but plenty of people get so upset that fiverr doesn’t work for them the way it used to; meanwhile, many other online platforms have gone through the same cycle: Tiny -> Awesome -> Too Big -> Downfall. To be honest, it’s not only internet platforms that go through this cycle, but almost every single organization that i can think of. Surviving the success cycle is the exception, not the expected.

Can Fiverr survive being so big? only time will tell.

As soon as there is a decentralized alternative with a competitive UX — the masses will get on board

As a freelancer, I can not risk my relationship with a client who I work with off-Fiverr

I wouldn’t either. I prefer to keep them off Fiverr.

Fiverr has an incredibly low barrier to entry, it’s a very competitive market. They probably feel as though they have an abundance of people who want to sell services here, most of whom aren’t getting as much business as they’d like.

I’m not a fiverr advocate… but I will continue to bring clients here if it means that my gigs will remain relevant. I rather enjoy not having to manage payment for myself. In another year I’ll probably learn some other way to earn money online, or sooner if fiverr changes something that makes it hard for me to earn an income here.

Fiver is a tool, not a life plan. Not saying you view it that way, but plenty of people get so upset that fiverr doesn’t work for them the way it used to; meanwhile, many other online platforms have gone through the same cycle: Tiny -> Awesome -> Too Big -> Downfall. To be honest, it’s not only internet platforms that go through this cycle, but almost every single organization that i can think of. Surviving the success cycle is the exception, not the expected.

As soon as there is a decentralized alternative with a competitive UX — the masses will get on board

many other online platforms have gone through the same cycle: Tiny -> Awesome -> Too Big -> Downfall

You know, the thing that upsets me most here, is that I’ve always said Fiverr was the best evolving platform that never stops improving and I’ve always admired the way they kept rolling out a new feature after the other and was really happy with that until this broken" Level system" which breaks everything IMHO!

I’m afraid that to some of us, it already looks like it’s having a heart attack on the toilet holding a cheeseburger. 🙂

Even kings can let success get to their head sometimes. 🙂

many other online platforms have gone through the same cycle: Tiny -> Awesome -> Too Big -> Downfall

You know, the thing that upsets me most here, is that I’ve always said Fiverr was the best evolving platform that never stops improving and I’ve always admired the way they kept rolling out a new feature after the other and was really happy with that until this broken" Level system" which breaks everything IMHO!

You know, the thing that upsets me most here, is that I’ve always said Fiverr was the best evolving platform that never stops improving

I sometimes work in a coworking space. Originally, I defended Fiverr as a viable platform to other space users. Now I take more from their recommendations and advice and feel quite stupid.

Bugs and injustices in the level system should have been ironed out months ago now. Instead, as time goes on, more sellers start being pinned into a corner by them. Right now 3 of the 6 cancellations putting my level at risk shouldn’t be there. They are due to bugs and Fiverr CS cancelling fully delivered orders on a buyers request.

If Fiverr needs to stop everything it is doing and start addressing morale killing issues like this asap.

First morale goes out the window. Then reputation starts to suffer as people spread the word.

Sadly, Fiverr seems to simply not give a shiny banana skin what people think.

After the last changes, my revenue dropped about 40% compared with previous month

Mine have also dropped a lot although I don’t have an exact figure, but it certainly had a negative effect on me.

The reason, I’m 99% sure, is because the placement changes. Now they changed back. this is the reason I said that placement (where you are found in search/ranking) matters. But the level I don’t believe change that much.

Fiverr is still evolving. There are plenty of things which need improvement, but there are also a bunch of things which are awesome.

Stay patient and hardworking.

Fiverr is still evolving. There are plenty of things which need improvement, but there are also a bunch of things which are awesome.

Stay patient and hardworking.

I was hoping so as well, but it’s been long since this new level system kicked in and I see no signs of improvement with regards to this point in particular.

A few points I would suggest to make this Level system work better and be fair to everyone:

1. I find an average 4.8-star rating to be very harsh, I think a 4.5 would be more reasonable.

2. A level 1 or 2 user who gets demoted shouldn’t lose access to Buyer requests and this might be the only way he can get back to his level after losing the search traffic that comes down when your level is demoted.

3. There should be a way to mutually cancel an order without being penalized for that, as long as both parties agree on that.

4. Clients should be able to edit their rating for a longer period of time( not sure exactly how long it currently is but I’ve been in a situation where I client left a rating by mistake, then could not fix it)

5. A completed order with no rating should be just as good as one with a rating, as not all clients feel obliged to leave a rating especially if they’ve worked with you repeatedly, they start to think, I’ve already rated you before so what’s the point in doing it again each time.

If you want to grow on Fiverr my advice is to not give too much weight to the evaluation system.

Work honestly and professionally.

Unfortunately, those who study this system do not work in the field every day. Better not to think about it.

If you want to grow on Fiverr my advice is to not give too much weight to the evaluation system.

I didn’t really care about it much until it started to affect my sales and my reach and now I barely get any sales mainly because of it.

Archived