Fiverr is simply lost !?

xuntes

Perhaps he just hopes to scare other people away from a successful venture?

Haha! I used to think that way when I was a teenager, that if I talked other people out doing what I want to do, that means less competition for me. I was a dumb teenager.

Now I think trying to help people out works better for me and my business in the long run.

I wish I earned at least 2200 a month, I would bet set for 2-3 months on bills, and I would have no outstanding debt.

I wish I earned at least 2200 a month,

It sure doesn’t look like money you would take and run with when there is more to be earned! 😃 To stay on topic, I think that guy has found the secret to getting orders without being listed as a Bestseller. Perhaps we can bribe him to tell us how. Darn broken filters!

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you. Fiverr is still experimenting it’s ranking algorithm. I think fiverr should come up with a good solution where it can help both the new sellers as well as preserving the rankings of those who are selling for years and have over thousands of reviews.

Yes, search and filters are still/again/yet (the new ones) broken. I wish they would work like any normal person would imagine them to work. But somehow customers obviously still manage to find sellers, so, not sure about the ‘simply lost’ bit.

I don’t want Fiverr to teach me how to fish (though their blogs and stuff are nice to read sometimes), I want them to maintain, fix and improve the platform and bring in customers to Fiverr, who then can, preferably by perusing well-working filters and search or by their own smart browsing skills, choose to buy my gigs if they find them, or/and the communication and service level offered by me, worth it.

Wow, this entire thread took a wrong turn from the start 😃

It was a rather simple statement about the broken filter but explained in a really long way.

Anyway, the best selling filter is broken or Fiverr has its own logic for it. It has been like this for as long as I can remember. I sent a request to CS to ask what’s the logic behind it, so will wait and see 🙂

Tip: Next time keep it short and simple like “Best selling filter is still broken. Let’s rant!” 😉

That way we stay on point.

Tip: Next time keep it short and simple like “Best selling filter is still broken. Let’s rant!” 😉

That way we stay on point.

probably if I would do that, this post would have just a few interested 😂

It was appealing but it worked

Today is the first time I’m happy in a long time.

Check out my July:

July 2018
1 56
2 0
3 32
4 104

Compare it to my June:

June 2018
1 24
2 8
3 24
4 20

My average daily sales went up from $17.33 to $64!

Today I made $130 in sales from four orders in two gigs!

What the hell happened? I don’t know, but I’ll enjoy it while it lasts.

So don’t lose hope, @xuntes, just make all the changes you need to make, experiment as much as you want, and see if anything changes.

BTW, you’re right about the algorithm. today I saw a seller with 1 review, 4-stars, on the 2nd row. However, I also saw someone with 996 reviews, so it varies. I’m usually on the 3rd or the 5th row, and ironically, my “best seller” gig keeps changing. Sometimes it’s one, sometimes it’s the other.

I’m sure your sales will come back.

Guest gx0st3

Gary Vaynerchuk would say, I mean I would imagine him say that you should stop dwelling on this and find ways to get yours to the top. Maybe use Facebook, Instagram, etc…I am not sure if you use those, but yeah man, there is always a way to do it, “If there isn’t” then you should make a way. 🙂

Gary Vaynerchuk would say, I mean I would imagine him say that you should stop dwelling on this and find ways to get yours to the top. Maybe use Facebook, Instagram, etc…I am not sure if you use those, but yeah man, there is always a way to do it, “If there isn’t” then you should make a way. 🙂

If it’s random like it is now, the only way is luck. There is no way you place yourself on top, except for waiting this algorithm change again.

I was on top till Monday (I’m the best seller in vector tracing category, with more than 6500 reviews), I promote my gig Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Google+, etc etc etc.

I’ll repeat one more time. It’s not about getting on top or not, it’s about the top placed of best selling being given to not top sellers at all.

I believe people are too used with people asking how to get on top, how to “mek sell” and forget the subject of this post.

I appreciate your tip, but like the ranking is right now there is no way to get on top, except waiting.

Today is the first time I’m happy in a long time.

Check out my July:

July 2018

1 56

2 0

3 32

4 104

Compare it to my June:

June 2018

1 24

2 8

3 24

4 20

My average daily sales went up from $17.33 to $64!

Today I made $130 in sales from four orders in two gigs!

What the hell happened? I don’t know, but I’ll enjoy it while it lasts.

So don’t lose hope, @xuntes, just make all the changes you need to make, experiment as much as you want, and see if anything changes.

BTW, you’re right about the algorithm. today I saw a seller with 1 review, 4-stars, on the 2nd row. However, I also saw someone with 996 reviews, so it varies. I’m usually on the 3rd or the 5th row, and ironically, my “best seller” gig keeps changing. Sometimes it’s one, sometimes it’s the other.

I’m sure your sales will come back.

I’m happy for your @fastcopywriter.

But the changing on the algorithm dosen’t mean fiverr will get less busy in a short term.

I’m afraid that “giving” good BEST SELLING placement to amateur gigs, in a long term may prejudice everyone here, because the overall quality of fiverr will drop.

The sellers who were on top, used to be there because they are good. Right now the sellers on top are the because they are lucky and fiverr algorithm sorted them there.

I’m happy with the regular buyers I have, but I’m disappointed for seeing my hard work being given to some random gig.

Good placement isnt meaning of more sales, but you CAN be sure that those on top have a way more chance to make a sale compared with the gigs “lost” in the following pages.

I’m happy for your @fastcopywriter.

But the changing on the algorithm dosen’t mean fiverr will get less busy in a short term.

I’m afraid that “giving” good BEST SELLING placement to amateur gigs, in a long term may prejudice everyone here, because the overall quality of fiverr will drop.

The sellers who were on top, used to be there because they are good. Right now the sellers on top are the because they are lucky and fiverr algorithm sorted them there.

I’m happy with the regular buyers I have, but I’m disappointed for seeing my hard work being given to some random gig.

Good placement isnt meaning of more sales, but you CAN be sure that those on top have a way more chance to make a sale compared with the gigs “lost” in the following pages.

I don’t know if it’s the Fiverr algorythm that has changed or other things. Take a look at this picture.

577622641_ScreenShot2018-07-04at9_45_26PM.thumb.png.1946001550628da7fff83195d3c5f056.png

These are all from the fast row. Which one do you think has the advantage? The one at 5.0 with 9 reviews or the one with 4.8 with 851 reviews?

Would it be fair if only the people with the most reviews and highest ratings were on top?

I have a theory that you rise to the top when you deliver, but when you let a queue build, you start falling down.

I see it with my own gig. A few hours ago, I was on the 3rd row, but now, I’m on the 5th row. Imagine how people that haven’t gotten a single sale in weeks must feel like.

Maybe this is why they’re

“giving” good BEST SELLING placement to amateur gigs

I do disagree with this point:

the overall quality of fiverr will drop.

Quality is subjective, specially when it comes to creative gigs. Sometimes I hire someone with glowing reviews and I’m disappointed with his work. My point is just because someone has no reviews or few reviews doesn’t mean that person has no talent.

Suffice to say, the only thing we can control is what we do on Fiverr, everything else is up to King Algorithm and the whims of fortune.

I don’t know if it’s the Fiverr algorythm that has changed or other things. Take a look at this picture.

These are all from the fast row. Which one do you think has the advantage? The one at 5.0 with 9 reviews or the one with 4.8 with 851 reviews?

Would it be fair if only the people with the most reviews and highest ratings were on top?

I have a theory that you rise to the top when you deliver, but when you let a queue build, you start falling down.

I see it with my own gig. A few hours ago, I was on the 3rd row, but now, I’m on the 5th row. Imagine how people that haven’t gotten a single sale in weeks must feel like.

Maybe this is why they’re

“giving” good BEST SELLING placement to amateur gigs

I do disagree with this point:

the overall quality of fiverr will drop.

Quality is subjective, specially when it comes to creative gigs. Sometimes I hire someone with glowing reviews and I’m disappointed with his work. My point is just because someone has no reviews or few reviews doesn’t mean that person has no talent.

Suffice to say, the only thing we can control is what we do on Fiverr, everything else is up to King Algorithm and the whims of fortune.

now compare the one with 1 review in the first row and someone with more than 1000 reviews in the 4th page. Which one do you think that has the advantage?

The last time a similar change happened, a gig with 50 reviews got so many orders that she queue was over 200 (4x more than her reviews). Do you know what happened? most of buyers cancelled their orders because the seller couldn’t deliver in time.

This is what happen when placement is given and not earned.

exactly. quality is subjective. The reason fiverr create this “performance” they always talk about.

The point isn’t about being talented or not, it’s about fiverr algorithm giving the best placement (which of course are those on top, we can’t deny this) for gigs with low performance.

An algorithm can’t calculate subjectivity, only quantitatively.

I would keep quiet if BEST SELLING filter had other name, because right now, the best selling filter isn’t showing the best selling gigs. This is misleading buyers to believe these are the best sellers, while they are not.

I respect your opinion, but I will still keep with the meritocracy of getting a placement (which is, as better your perform, better placement you get - to the top).

PS: You don’t need to agree, but this is a fact: As much as you are placed in last pages, less chance your have to be noted. The top of the first page is the best placement, it doesn’t mean you will get orders, but you will have better chances than those behind.

EDIT: When I said that the overall quality will drop, because when sellers realized that no matter their performance anymore (like it’s happening now) you can be on top anyway like this 4.5 rated gig with only 11 reviews. You dont need to work hard anymore to achieve the best places. Also those who used to be on top were there for a reason, for being the best, not because they had luck and wont the placement lottery.

EDIT 2: when this and similar changes happened, rarely my impressions/views/clicks drop, but only the most important drops, Conversion Rate. Clearly people keep having the same activity with my gig, but it becomes less effective, the reason I keep thinking that buyers are influenceable by placement.

now compare the one with 1 review in the first row and someone with more than 1000 reviews in the 4th page. Which one do you think that has the advantage?

The last time a similar change happened, a gig with 50 reviews got so many orders that she queue was over 200 (4x more than her reviews). Do you know what happened? most of buyers cancelled their orders because the seller couldn’t deliver in time.

This is what happen when placement is given and not earned.

exactly. quality is subjective. The reason fiverr create this “performance” they always talk about.

The point isn’t about being talented or not, it’s about fiverr algorithm giving the best placement (which of course are those on top, we can’t deny this) for gigs with low performance.

An algorithm can’t calculate subjectivity, only quantitatively.

I would keep quiet if BEST SELLING filter had other name, because right now, the best selling filter isn’t showing the best selling gigs. This is misleading buyers to believe these are the best sellers, while they are not.

I respect your opinion, but I will still keep with the meritocracy of getting a placement (which is, as better your perform, better placement you get - to the top).

PS: You don’t need to agree, but this is a fact: As much as you are placed in last pages, less chance your have to be noted. The top of the first page is the best placement, it doesn’t mean you will get orders, but you will have better chances than those behind.

EDIT: When I said that the overall quality will drop, because when sellers realized that no matter their performance anymore (like it’s happening now) you can be on top anyway like this 4.5 rated gig with only 11 reviews. You dont need to work hard anymore to achieve the best places. Also those who used to be on top were there for a reason, for being the best, not because they had luck and wont the placement lottery.

EDIT 2: when this and similar changes happened, rarely my impressions/views/clicks drop, but only the most important drops, Conversion Rate. Clearly people keep having the same activity with my gig, but it becomes less effective, the reason I keep thinking that buyers are influenceable by placement.

That’s a good question. However, one of my competitors has 29 in his queue and you can only find him with certain keywords. In fact, I think his secret is that he advertises his gigs on Facebook and is really good at it.

most of buyers cancelled their orders because the seller couldn’t deliver in time.

If that happens, the seller will end up getting demoted. He should have put his gigs on vacation or raise his prices or both.

I would keep quiet if BEST SELLING filter had other name, because right now, the best selling filter isn’t showing the best selling gigs.

That’s an interesting point. When I click “best selling,” my gig is on the first row with a queue of 3. The others have a queue of 1, 2, or 0. One competitor had a queue of 5 but now he’s at 2, so he’s not on the first row.

I agree that the best selling categories should show the people with the biggest queues or most reviews or both, but I think the algorithm is capricious.

Who knows what Fiverr wants?

You dont need to work hard anymore to achieve the best places.

If you were seeing that 4.5 seller on the first rowv everyday, I would agree with you, but that’s not the case. Fiverr is a bit like a game of musical chairs, sometimes you find a seat, sometimes you don’t, and sometimes people who used the wrong tags are punished.

For example, there was a graphic designer who was using the tag “brand name,” and she was the only TRS in the brand name category. I complained to Fiverr about it, don’t know if they listened to me, but now she’s no longer there.

That’s a good question. However, one of my competitors has 29 in his queue and you can only find him with certain keywords. In fact, I think his secret is that he advertises his gigs on Facebook and is really good at it.

most of buyers cancelled their orders because the seller couldn’t deliver in time.

If that happens, the seller will end up getting demoted. He should have put his gigs on vacation or raise his prices or both.

I would keep quiet if BEST SELLING filter had other name, because right now, the best selling filter isn’t showing the best selling gigs.

That’s an interesting point. When I click “best selling,” my gig is on the first row with a queue of 3. The others have a queue of 1, 2, or 0. One competitor had a queue of 5 but now he’s at 2, so he’s not on the first row.

I agree that the best selling categories should show the people with the biggest queues or most reviews or both, but I think the algorithm is capricious.

If you were seeing that 4.5 seller on the first rowv everyday, I would agree with you, but that’s not the case. Fiverr is a bit like a game of musical chairs, sometimes you find a seat, sometimes you don’t, and sometimes people who used the wrong tags are punished.

For example, there was a graphic designer who was using the tag “brand name,” and she was the only TRS in the brand name category. I complained to Fiverr about it, don’t know if they listened to me, but now she’s no longer there.

Well, I was talking about categories ranking, not search ranking. Both are different.

Like I mentioned before, in the past year, I did a research with my new buyers to know where they found me. 90% thought marketplace (only 10% by self promotion). These 90% half came to me searching certain keyword and other half due finding me at gigs category ranking (which is the one that got messed up).

That time there wasn’t such leveling system. Anyway, if it was today it would still be bad for that seller, because that time when it happened was a period of 12h. The buyer could be sleeping. And you may think “200 orders in a single night”. Yes, it happens. There were logo designers with almost 1k orders in queue. Anyway, it’s just to show how it’s better you gradually earn your placement, instead suddenly “win” this.

I believe the algorithm has nothing to do with orders in queue, or there would always have gigs with NO orders at all in queue at the top of the ranking. Or, maybe wouldn’t be the same gigs on top, it would rotates faster.

Also, I don’t believe fiverr is doing this to give a chance for sellers with low amount of orders, or recommended filter wouldn’t be showing the most expensive gigs first. Or the best selling wouldn’t sort the most expensive gigs on top too, like it did in the past.

Honestly, fiverr is a company, and they want to make money, and I respect this. If they would care that much with sellers, this levels system would be a way more flexible, for example.

If you were seeing that 4.5 seller on the first rowv everyday, I would agree with you, but that’s not the case.

But this is the case since Monday, when a lot of low performed gigs went to the top. I believe fiverr wont keep this method, because it’s nonsense value more random gigs than the sellers who really makes fiverr happen. I’m not saying that there isn’t great sellers who weren’t “discovered” yet, but giving the best place deliberately to low performed gig, to mislead buyers to believe these are the real best sellers, for it’s nonsense.

Please understand that tags wont find your gig. The keywords used to find gigs are from your title.

Well, I was talking about categories ranking, not search ranking. Both are different.

Like I mentioned before, in the past year, I did a research with my new buyers to know where they found me. 90% thought marketplace (only 10% by self promotion). These 90% half came to me searching certain keyword and other half due finding me at gigs category ranking (which is the one that got messed up).

That time there wasn’t such leveling system. Anyway, if it was today it would still be bad for that seller, because that time when it happened was a period of 12h. The buyer could be sleeping. And you may think “200 orders in a single night”. Yes, it happens. There were logo designers with almost 1k orders in queue. Anyway, it’s just to show how it’s better you gradually earn your placement, instead suddenly “win” this.

I believe the algorithm has nothing to do with orders in queue, or there would always have gigs with NO orders at all in queue at the top of the ranking. Or, maybe wouldn’t be the same gigs on top, it would rotates faster.

Also, I don’t believe fiverr is doing this to give a chance for sellers with low amount of orders, or recommended filter wouldn’t be showing the most expensive gigs first. Or the best selling wouldn’t sort the most expensive gigs on top too, like it did in the past.

Honestly, fiverr is a company, and they want to make money, and I respect this. If they would care that much with sellers, this levels system would be a way more flexible, for example.

If you were seeing that 4.5 seller on the first rowv everyday, I would agree with you, but that’s not the case.

But this is the case since Monday, when a lot of low performed gigs went to the top. I believe fiverr wont keep this method, because it’s nonsense value more random gigs than the sellers who really makes fiverr happen. I’m not saying that there isn’t great sellers who weren’t “discovered” yet, but giving the best place deliberately to low performed gig, to mislead buyers to believe these are the real best sellers, for it’s nonsense.

Please understand that tags wont find your gig. The keywords used to find gigs are from your title.

I’m 87% marketplace, 13% custom offer (from messages mostly, so I suppose that counts as marketplace).

My impressions (overall) are 9K, but the other day a 70K seller told me he wasn’t getting any orders.

Self-promotion never worked for me, and I don’t know whether my clients recommend me to others or don’t, sometimes they do I suppose.

“200 orders in a single night”.

Hard to imagine, even if he delivers in 7 days, he’s gonna have to do 28.57 orders a day to deliver within the deadline, and this assumes no revision requests. So to be on the safe side, he’ll most likely deliver 40 orders a day. That would mean an 8-hour workday, depending on how long each other takes.

On the other hand, with the LIMIT ORDERS IN QUEUE feature next to each gig (on My Gigs), a seller could stop that from happening. Then again, I suppose some of these sellers are actually advertising agencies, graphic design firms, and other who can handle a huge workload.

So if I had no tags, my gigs would still be found? I don’t disagree that the keywords in your title matter, but they can’t be the only thing. Surely tags matter since there’s a place to put them?

Then again, who knows how Fiverr works?

I’m 87% marketplace, 13% custom offer (from messages mostly, so I suppose that counts as marketplace).

My impressions (overall) are 9K, but the other day a 70K seller told me he wasn’t getting any orders.

Self-promotion never worked for me, and I don’t know whether my clients recommend me to others or don’t, sometimes they do I suppose.

Hard to imagine, even if he delivers in 7 days, he’s gonna have to do 28.57 orders a day to deliver within the deadline, and this assumes no revision requests. So to be on the safe side, he’ll most likely deliver 40 orders a day. That would mean an 8-hour workday, depending on how long each other takes.

On the other hand, with the LIMIT ORDERS IN QUEUE feature next to each gig (on My Gigs), a seller could stop that from happening. Then again, I suppose some of these sellers are actually advertising agencies, graphic design firms, and other who can handle a huge workload.

So if I had no tags, my gigs would still be found? I don’t disagree that the keywords in your title matter, but they can’t be the only thing. Surely tags matter since there’s a place to put them?

Fiverr reps (who work for Fiverr) have specifically stated that keywords ARE important to search results. They haven’t told us how, or in what way, but you’re right… tags are there for us to choose which ones fit our gigs, and that choice plays some part in the search results. If tags were pointless, there would be no need for them in our gigs, and Fiverr wouldn’t still be encouraging sellers to choose tags that represent our gigs.

Yep, tags do matter in search. Every time I change my tags the volume of impressions I get changes. Sometimes I make the right choices, sometimes not.

You can even do a search based on a specific tag alone.
For example, here are the search results for the “brand identity”
https://www.fiverr.com/gigs/brand-identity

The only thing common here is that all those gigs are using the same tag “brand identity”

exactly. But it was just an example to show that it’s not good to give placements instead letting sellers earn it. I know there are thousands of sellers that if you would place them in the first row of first page they would handle it perfectly fine. Would it be fair? not, in my opinion, because the sellers who reached the top by their efforts, already proved 100% they are the best.

I don’t believe you can create a gig without using at least 1 tag. (please also see the tags explanation below).

Fiverr reps (who work for Fiverr) have specifically stated that keywords ARE important to search results. They haven’t told us how, or in what way, but you’re right… tags are there for us to choose which ones fit our gigs, and that choice plays some part in the search results. If tags were pointless, there would be no need for them in our gigs, and Fiverr wouldn’t still be encouraging sellers to choose tags that represent our gigs.

Message got by fiverr cs:

The tags are actually for indexing purposes used by fiverr editorial team and Trust & Safety team. The main keywords that are used for search are in the title and description of the Gig.

EDIT:

By the way, did you guys notice that there is a bug in search engine (which I contacte support and they just ignored)?

I you search for anything, for example VECTOR, you will see that the first option of Refine Results is already marked. In this case “Vector Tracing”. But it’s not showing only vector tracing results (5041 gigs), it’s showing all gigs from result (9268 gigs).

I know this because there are no PRO SELLERS at vector tracing category, and also I found many other gigs which aren’t from this category.

To make the search work properly, you must click any other REFINE RESULTS and then click back on the main one (Vector Tracing).

I know it’s a simple thing, but you will see that there are a lot of gig which doesn’t interest buyers who are searching for a keyword that are “polluting” the search. this isn’t good to any seller

I’m very surprised to read this and I can’t but comment. A seller with just 22 reviews isn’t mediocre as you claim, because this seller could be a new seller and still be very good, forget about the level. Placing them at top pages gives them more chances of being noticed. You have thousands of reviews and you are great, congrats but that doesn’t mean low review sellers can’t do better. Fiver is not lost at all, just doing their thing their own way.

I’m very surprised to read this and I can’t but comment. A seller with just 22 reviews isn’t mediocre as you claim, because this seller could be a new seller and still be very good, forget about the level. Placing them at top pages gives them more chances of being noticed. You have thousands of reviews and you are great, congrats but that doesn’t mean low review sellers can’t do better. Fiver is not lost at all, just doing their thing their own way.

That’s right too! Should new sellers be always at the end of the pages? Then there will be only old sellers! No one will be able to succeed there. Fiverr will go back and back even faster. What do you think?

If you read the conversation, you will see I’m comparing their performance, not their quality. 22 rates is mediocre compared to 22 thousand.

Placing them at the top for sure will give them chances to being noticed, but it still wont make them Best Sellers to be placed on top of Best Selling filter.

Like I said, I wouldn’t mind if the filter would be called “highlighted gigs” or something like this. I’m also a buyer and when I search for best sellers, I want to see the best sellers, not a manipulated search to make buyers believe these are the best sellers while they aren’t.

If you read the conversation, you will see I’m comparing their performance, not their quality. 22 rates is mediocre compared to 22 thousand.

Placing them at the top for sure will give them chances to being noticed, but it still wont make them Best Sellers to be placed on top of Best Selling filter.

Like I said, I wouldn’t mind if the filter would be called “highlighted gigs” or something like this. I’m also a buyer and when I search for best sellers, I want to see the best sellers, not a manipulated search to make buyers believe these are the best sellers while they aren’t.

Oops, I missed that! It really needs to be fixed!

That’s right too! Should new sellers be always at the end of the pages? Then there will be only old sellers! No one will be able to succeed there. Fiverr will go back and back even faster. What do you think?

I think that Best selling filter should be used for best sellers. For this you are talking there are other 2 filters, Newest Arrivals and RELEVANCE/RECOMMENDED. Also: gigs rotation, decreasing number of rates to 1k only, available now. These are just a few things that only helps discrete gigs.

Also, I’m always seeing new buyers at best selling, not only old. By the way I succeeded at fiverr with no chances. I build my own reputation by my own, which now all this I “achieved” is being given to a random gig, which may be good, or not.

If you consider yourself succeeded (or succeeded in the future) you would think different if all the efforts you did to earn the best placements were just given to someone else.

It’s beautiful and kind to give a chance to discrete gigs for sure, but why can’t the good sellers be rewarded too? Because are those who created and sustain fiverr success. Fiverr woudn’t succeed with just average sellers.

Okay, fine, as a buyer.

When I click “best selling,” my gig is on the first row with a queue of 3. The others have a queue of 1, 2, or 0. One competitor had a queue of 5 but now he’s at 2, so he’s not on the first row.

As I was reading through the lastest comments, this caught my eye. I haven’t read every post below it, so forgive me if I read more and edit it for some reason, but even if I do I’ll make it clear why.

I thought it was interesting that @xuntes is talking about the TITLE of the filter as “Best Selling” and why that means that the wrong people are being featured. That I thought about your (fastcopywriter) POV mentioning that perhaps it should be the people with the most reviews or the biggest queues. It all got me to thinking about the words “best seller” and what it could mean. Right now, of course, i don’t know what Fiverr uses to determine what a best seller is and they might be using some totally random criteria which wouldn’t really reflect best sellers.

If you skip most of my long post - just read this:

Even if we all agree that something looks wrong, though, who is to say what best seller means?

I looked this up about Amazon and it’s from an older article, but gives one viewpoint about best selling books:

"Typically in order to have a hope at becoming a Bestseller there needs to be a huge influx of sales within a very short period of time. We’re talking about 500-1,000 sales must occur in order to appear on Amazon’s Bestseller radar.

In other words, if you can bring in 1,000 sales of your book within the first few days following its release then you are on your way to making it part of Amazon’s Top 100 list.

If you’re really ambitious and your aim is to hit the list of Top 5, you’re going to have to be a lot more aggressive in getting higher sales numbers."

If we applied that to Fiverr, anyone with a new gig (like a new book) could shoot for the “best seller” list. An old gig (like an old book) could also keep retaining status by hitting a certain goal. The goal for Amazon as listed above was pretty basic - just bring in a high volume of sales in a short period of time.

So, if you were a level 0 seller who had been on Fiverr for a year without success, you could discover some great way to describe your gig and use tags or self-promote or spend ten thousand dollars on tv ads and let’s just say that you brought in 1000 sales in a single week on that gig. Let’s also say that you were planning for it and you hired help and you filled those orders. Let’s assume that the majority of buyers came in via external channels (like a TV ad) and knew little about Fiverr and didn’t leave you reviews. By those stats, you could actually BE a best seller on Fiverr in a week with 1000 sales but you could APPEAR to have only 10 reviews and be level 0 because you haven’t had time to hit an evaluation period.

I thought you might find this interesting enough to read @fastcopywriter. It’s more of an intellectual exercise than a real scenario overall, but you’re a very smart guy and you know about marketing, so you are aware that if a person wanted to leverage unseen factors to elevate themselves, they actually could.

That said, I’m not claiming that Fiverr uses this method to determine a best seller, but they might. I also think that if a seller could sustain this, they would eventually level up and get a lot of reviews and appear to be a hot commodity. However, it’s also possible for a seller to accomplish this best seller status on a small scale but then fail to maintain it and drop to obscurity. Even if that seller retained a level 2 badge (for example) and a thousand reviews it wouldn’t mean they could continue to sell high volume in short periods of time.

Fiverr could also use a number of other factors besides high volume in short times. They could use high dollar amounts, impressions based on views from off-Fiverr, sales over a month or year, etc. All of those could still produce a “best seller” without obvious extensive reviews. Fiverr might go in the reverse and rely on statistics like # of reviews only in the past 90 days or # of reviews over lifetime and those would be more apparent to the eye, but not as obvious as one might think.

Given the fact that “best seller” isn’t actually as simply defined as it might sound, I could still agree that Fiverr search appears to be screwy, but I couldn’t be sure that Fiverr wasn’t using statistics that aren’t apparent to me.

Sorry for another long-winded post, but I had never really given a lot of thought to all the ways a best-seller could be defined and I think it’s a valid point.

Okay, fine, as a buyer.

by the way, I just checked a category best sellers (I believe it’s not cool mention it here), from those 4 on top, 3 of them have multiple identical gigs, Not allowed by fiverr (violates TOS).

one of these 3 already had a gig deleted in the past by fiverr team.

This is just a barely example to show that the gig used to be on top were there because a reason (because they were the best), not because it was given to them.

Archived