How I went from $15 earned in May to over $1000 (so far!) in June (and you can too)

joshcates

A big thanks to all the other Fiverr users who helped me along the way. I wanted to give back to the community by writing about my experience on Fiverr and how you can become successful too.

The first step is to have a good gig. Not just a gig that you know is good, but a gig that potential buyers are going to think is good. What does that involve? Proofread, spellcheck, edit. Make sure your profile is free from errors. Not everyone on Fiverr is a native English speaker, but Fiverr IS an English platform, and if you want to compete, you need to get your ideas across.

I had to research how to make a video to showcase my talents. I did. It’s not the nicest video out there, but it gets the point across quickly, so buyers know in under a minute whether they want to hire me or not. Use your face. People want to know who they’re going to deal with. If you’re using a stock photo, they’ll know right away.

Fiverr is a marketplace and not a job. Nobody owes you anything. With this in mind, I wrote my gig page to show what I can deliver to the client, and how I benefit them. After all, you’re trying to win buyers–buyers are not deposited in your lap. Be clear in your expectations of the buyer, and be clear in what you’re going to deliver. Setting expectations is the key to getting good reviews.

Speaking of good reviews: I never had to ask a buyer to leave a review, and you probably shouldn’t either. If they want to, they will. Wow them with your great service, your timely delivery, and your professional demeanor. None of that sir/ma’am crap. They don’t like that. Talk to them like a person. Don’t call them dear. Though clients may use a casual tone with me in messages, I am always professional with them. You’re the expert. You’re the professional. Show it. Live it. Let them know by the way you act that you know what you’re doing.

And speaking of knowing what you’re doing, don’t undersell yourself. I struggle with this. Many kind and talented people on the forums helped me evaluate the worth of my service (big shoutout to @voiceofmichael for taking the time to critique me) so that I could sell myself properly. Fiverr is not a race to the bottom. If you’re only worth $5 (or the amount of time you’re selling yourself for is genuinely worth $5) then don’t be afraid to market yourself that way. But when you’re good and you know it, stand firm in your higher price. Buyers will be intrigued.

I got my start by trawling buyer requests. I was patient. I waited. I applied to every job I was qualified for with a unique and professional greeting that showcased how I would benefit the buyer and why they should choose me. Don’t use a cookie cutter template. They’ll know right away, and they won’t appreciate it. $800 of my >$1,000 have come from buyer requests. Don’t knock them. There are people who post on that board who are really looking for good service and willing to pay for it, but you have to be patient. Remember, Fiverr is a marketplace and you aren’t owed anything.

The hardest part was starting. Getting visibility. Getting those early ratings. Did I sell myself short and bend over backwards for jerk buyers that expected the moon on a stick? Yeah, I did, and you know what? I’m glad I did. I’m glad I worked too hard for too little to get the first five or six five-star reviews from satisfied clients on my gig that put me on the map. You have to give a little to get a little, and that’s okay. But you don’t have to stay there forever.

The forums are your biggest resource. They are filled with other passionate, talented professionals who want to see you succeed, but let me repeat something I’ve said several times already: nobody owes you anything. Don’t come to the forums acting like you’re owed help, you’re owed sales, you’re owed anything. You aren’t. Show some respect and it’ll be returned to you in spades. Reach out to other professionals on the forums. Ask them respectfully for their advice, if they’re willing to give it. Show that you’re trying. Ask how you can improve. Always strive for excellence. Don’t sit and wait. Do. Fiverr is a community of doers.

Get out there. Apply yourself. Be professional. Put your best foot forward. Do. No excuses. No complaints. When you hit an obstacle, you are surrounded by other people who have hit the same obstacles and will be willing to share their wisdom if you ask politely.

I can’t wait to see what July will bring not only me, but the rest of the talented people on Fiverr who are out there doing right now. Godspeed.

thanks for your informatiiion

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

giphy

your information was very helpful

a lot of motivation in that

Mod Note: text removed - please stay on topic.

but brother can you please guide me i am the new one and dont have guts like you

There is no secret. All of the information I have to give is in my post. Best of luck. 🌞

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic post, my friend! Very inspiring and motivational. I have been on Fiverr since last October and have never had a month that good! Great job! You have inspired me to step up my game here on Fiverr. There is obviously still money to be made on this platform, I’m going after it!

Thank you again!

It seems this post was flagged and I’m not sure why. If it was the inclusion of my gig link at the end, I want to apologize if it was wrong to do so. I was not meaning to spam anyone at all. I am very sorry.

A big thanks to all the other Fiverr users who helped me along the way. I wanted to give back to the community by writing about my experience on Fiverr and how you can become successful too.

The first step is to have a good gig. Not just a gig that you know is good, but a gig that potential buyers are going to think is good. What does that involve? Proofread, spellcheck, edit. Make sure your profile is free from errors. Not everyone on Fiverr is a native English speaker, but Fiverr IS an English platform, and if you want to compete, you need to get your ideas across.

I had to research how to make a video to showcase my talents. I did. It’s not the nicest video out there, but it gets the point across quickly, so buyers know in under a minute whether they want to hire me or not. Use your face. People want to know who they’re going to deal with. If you’re using a stock photo, they’ll know right away.

Fiverr is a marketplace and not a job. Nobody owes you anything. With this in mind, I wrote my gig page to show what I can deliver to the client, and how I benefit them. After all, you’re trying to win buyers–buyers are not deposited in your lap. Be clear in your expectations of the buyer, and be clear in what you’re going to deliver. Setting expectations is the key to getting good reviews.

Speaking of good reviews: I never had to ask a buyer to leave a review, and you probably shouldn’t either. If they want to, they will. Wow them with your great service, your timely delivery, and your professional demeanor. None of that sir/ma’am crap. They don’t like that. Talk to them like a person. Don’t call them dear. Though clients may use a casual tone with me in messages, I am always professional with them. You’re the expert. You’re the professional. Show it. Live it. Let them know by the way you act that you know what you’re doing.

And speaking of knowing what you’re doing, don’t undersell yourself. I struggle with this. Many kind and talented people on the forums helped me evaluate the worth of my service (big shoutout to @voiceofmichael for taking the time to critique me) so that I could sell myself properly. Fiverr is not a race to the bottom. If you’re only worth $5 (or the amount of time you’re selling yourself for is genuinely worth $5) then don’t be afraid to market yourself that way. But when you’re good and you know it, stand firm in your higher price. Buyers will be intrigued.

I got my start by trawling buyer requests. I was patient. I waited. I applied to every job I was qualified for with a unique and professional greeting that showcased how I would benefit the buyer and why they should choose me. Don’t use a cookie cutter template. They’ll know right away, and they won’t appreciate it. $800 of my >$1,000 have come from buyer requests. Don’t knock them. There are people who post on that board who are really looking for good service and willing to pay for it, but you have to be patient. Remember, Fiverr is a marketplace and you aren’t owed anything.

The hardest part was starting. Getting visibility. Getting those early ratings. Did I sell myself short and bend over backwards for jerk buyers that expected the moon on a stick? Yeah, I did, and you know what? I’m glad I did. I’m glad I worked too hard for too little to get the first five or six five-star reviews from satisfied clients on my gig that put me on the map. You have to give a little to get a little, and that’s okay. But you don’t have to stay there forever.

The forums are your biggest resource. They are filled with other passionate, talented professionals who want to see you succeed, but let me repeat something I’ve said several times already: nobody owes you anything. Don’t come to the forums acting like you’re owed help, you’re owed sales, you’re owed anything. You aren’t. Show some respect and it’ll be returned to you in spades. Reach out to other professionals on the forums. Ask them respectfully for their advice, if they’re willing to give it. Show that you’re trying. Ask how you can improve. Always strive for excellence. Don’t sit and wait. Do. Fiverr is a community of doers.

Get out there. Apply yourself. Be professional. Put your best foot forward. Do. No excuses. No complaints. When you hit an obstacle, you are surrounded by other people who have hit the same obstacles and will be willing to share their wisdom if you ask politely.

I can’t wait to see what July will bring not only me, but the rest of the talented people on Fiverr who are out there doing right now. Godspeed.

$800 of my >$1,000 have come from buyer requests.

Damn, bro! Look at you owning those buyer requests!!!

Getting visibility. Getting those early ratings. Did I sell myself short and bend over backwards for jerk buyers that expected the moon on a stick? Yeah, I did, and you know what? I’m glad I did. I’m glad I worked too hard for too little to get the first five or six five-star reviews from satisfied clients on my gig that put me on the map. You have to give a little to get a little, and that’s okay. But you don’t have to stay there forever.

The forums are your biggest resource.

All of that! I’m really glad to see you coming up! You’re putting in the time and making it work!

Good for you! I hope a lot of sellers can learn from your example. Thanks for writing this!

I am doing all the things which you mentioned and i think i hit the potential buyer (I created my gig 3 days ago only). I am only 90% sure, as the person did not pay, but all the indication is that he will, as we chatted about one hours yesterday and two hours today.

even if dont get him, i will keep on doing what i am doing as this is the only.

one thing some new seller don’t realise how much marketing cost and how much effort it required . If they realise they will know 50% of our job is already done by fiverr.
thanks for the great post.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just curious, how have things progressed since your original post? I am a few months behind you in terms of my activity. Like you, most all of my business have been from buyer request. Are you still getting most of your business their or are you starting to see organic orders come through?

Archived