Can we trust a buyer who cancels an order?

so you can effectively demand a compensation in court.

Which court? One where I live, one where the buyer lives, one where Fiverr is based?

I can see it’s a reasonable suggestion, but 99.99% of sellers are not going to go down the legal route for effectively what may be a few dollars, or indeed a larger sum. Once legal fees (and travel costs?) were paid, it simply wouldn’t be worth it.

the court stuff is not practical with fiverr. either way a seller will end up spending a whole lot of money for court scenes. lol

Which court? One where I live, one where the buyer lives, one where Fiverr is based?

I can see it’s a reasonable suggestion, but 99.99% of sellers are not going to go down the legal route for effectively what may be a few dollars, or indeed a larger sum. Once legal fees (and travel costs?) were paid, it simply wouldn’t be worth it.

If you don’t protect your business, who will do it?

And no, a simple legal letter is enough for the majority of cases, you don’t need to go the full route. A letter than can reach not only the one that steals you, but also the ISP who is serving their webpage with illegal content, the Play Store where they are selling the materials, the Payment processor they use…

All of those services usually are international based, and they act when something fishy is happening with a customer.

A business should have the tools to protect their interests. I think the problem is looking at ourselves as mere individuals rather than a business.

However, you can add those cancellations and lost work as side effects of being in this marketplace. The problem is what happens when word spread saying that Fiverr sellers can be abused with no penalty of any kind. Blame the platform rules? Maybe, but as I said, if I do not fight for my work and rights, who will do?

Guest offlinehelpers

And no, a simple legal letter is enough for the majority of cases, you don’t need to go the full route. A letter than can reach not only the one that steals you, but also the ISP who is serving their webpage with illegal content, the Play Store where they are selling the materials, the Payment processor they use…

All of those services usually are international based, and they act when something fishy is happening with a customer.

A business should have the tools to protect their interests. I think the problem is looking at ourselves as mere individuals rather than a business.

However, you can add those cancellations and lost work as side effects of being in this marketplace. The problem is what happens when word spread saying that Fiverr sellers can be abused with no penalty of any kind. Blame the platform rules? Maybe, but as I said, if I do not fight for my work and rights, who will do?

I’d be hoping the folks who take 20% commission would be doing that to be honest, remembering it’s their business, not really ours.

a simple legal letter

Legal costs vary around the world I’m sure, but in the UK it wouldn’t be economically viable to hire a solicitor to write a letter no matter how simple - you’re talking over £100 just to meet with a solicitor and discuss a case before they performed any action on your behalf.

I’d be hoping the folks who take 20% commission would be doing that to be honest, remembering it’s their business, not really ours.

a simple legal letter

Legal costs vary around the world I’m sure, but in the UK it wouldn’t be economically viable to hire a solicitor to write a letter no matter how simple - you’re talking over £100 just to meet with a solicitor and discuss a case before they performed any action on your behalf.

There might be a golden gig niche for actual but only now starting-out and under-booked solicitors in there, and it would be pretty much a “take out a template and slightly adjust” gig after a few cases.

You would be wise to look into GDPR and new (coming) EU copyright rules.

Technically, if I deliver a Word file which includes my personal contact information as metadata, there is an argument to be made that Fiverr and the buyer has not appropriately handled my personal information if this file is passed on to a third party without my express consent or knowledge. - Which happens pretty much with every CS cancellation and charge back.

Of course, raising a complaint and.or hiring a lawyer is a bit tricky/pricy at the moment. However, cases like this are already getting underway and with $20 million fines for non-compliance, you can be sure that there will be a few no win no fee lawyers popping up everywhere shortly.

As for now, emails to companies/ hosting providers where content is being used without a creators consent are very effective. I recently had a video removed from Youtube in under half an hour.

I did used to hate the idea of a heavily regulated Internet. Now, though, I say: “Bring it on!”

a simple legal letter

In Spain, basic legal services with consultant (with a limit per month) and letter writing (for basic stuff) costs only 80€ per year. Almost all business, even self-employed, have a consultant for paper work, which most cases are external services run by solicitors, so it’s easy to ask for advice and a copyright infringement letter. For example, my solicitor would write that for free if I ask him, as I pay every month for legal/tax office matters.

Solicitors that are reading this: Gig hint… 😃

I don’t think they can do anything regarding chargebacks (if they deny the order cancellation) BUT they control the rules of the platform, and can fight fraud in their own house. I don’t have enough data to evaluate the impact of allowing or not the order cancellations, but sometimes I wonder, as you said, who is the business target of this platform: young entrepreneurs? starting business? individuals that want to make some $$$ beside their main job? people that need to survive? startups? Really, I don’t know.

I think we evaluate Fiverr as much as they evaluate us. If the cancellations are a problem, then we evaluate the feasibility of the platform for our business. Bad players, both buyers and sellers, are a problem for Fiverr and for us, but how to control them?

You would be wise to look into GDPR and new (coming) EU copyright rules.

Technically, if I deliver a Word file which includes my personal contact information as metadata, there is an argument to be made that Fiverr and the buyer has not appropriately handled my personal information if this file is passed on to a third party without my express consent or knowledge. - Which happens pretty much with every CS cancellation and charge back.

Of course, raising a complaint and.or hiring a lawyer is a bit tricky/pricy at the moment. However, cases like this are already getting underway and with $20 million fines for non-compliance, you can be sure that there will be a few no win no fee lawyers popping up everywhere shortly.

As for now, emails to companies/ hosting providers where content is being used without a creators consent are very effective. I recently had a video removed from Youtube in under half an hour.

I did used to hate the idea of a heavily regulated Internet. Now, though, I say: “Bring it on!”

Yes, that’s what I wanted to say: those legal letters works wonders. As a marketing copywriter, people copy my work a lot (specially in affilite pages, that’s the wild wild west). Most of the time I just let it be, but sometimes I catch someone trying to earn $$$ using my writings, without even credit. Just a communication, and I never had to go further.

Right!!??? 👀

And what’s worse is with the latest updates - where with a new order, you need to tell the buyer " I have Everything I need - OR, you need more info to begin the order … using the “There’s Something Missing” option, STARTS the order!..😑

It would make more sense if the order didn’t start, if we selected “There’s Something Missing”, so we could get what is missing FIRST… 👀

Needless to say, that was what happened with the buyer I was referring to in my CS screen shot. Subsequently as a result… 2 awesome things happened!

1. My order competition rate was affected badly
  2. This order was “late” because it took CS a while to respond, and by that time it was past due

Sitting duck and cancelled. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

What I find annoying is that with a stubborn buyer like that, I have to waste my time, trying to negotiate, or… in this case, just get them to submit requirements, which may ultimately take away from the quality of my other orders, as I am frustrated, in a frenzy and worried about how – not dealing with it – will affect my analytics…😕

I could be doing far better, more productive - things with my time, than that.

That’s giving an ignorant person (who likely was never planning on cooperating) too much power and too much of my “working” time, for free! Time is money … IMO 😠!

Here’s an example of the - Something Missing - Order Started - farce.

💡Problem solved, I’ll use the resolution center and ask for a 1 day extension from now on - to avoid a intentional late or completion issue - that way the order won’t start.

Grr, I feel your pain. 🥤

And what’s worse is with the latest updates - where with a new order, you need to tell the buyer " I have Everything I need - OR, you need more info to begin the order … using the “There’s Something Missing” option, STARTS the order!..😑

Damn, I forgot about the new changes, my account is still the old version, I’m actually glad it didn’t roll-out for me. 🎉 Sounds like a major pain in the arse.

💡Problem solved, I’ll use the resolution center and ask for a 1 day extension from now on - to avoid a intentional late or completion issue - that way the order won’t start.

LOLz, very smart! 😄

Using the resolution center is a good workaround. :ok_hand:t4:

Grr, I feel your pain. 🥤

Damn, I forgot about the new changes, my account is still the old version, I’m actually glad it didn’t roll-out for me. 🎉 Sounds like a major pain in the arse.

LOLz, very smart! 😄

Using the resolution center is a good workaround. :ok_hand:t4:

Haha yeah! Super annoying, but - it’s the only way to get around this one! 🤨

Archived