Are You Excited About Fifa World Cup 2018 in Russia?

wordpress_whiz

poll2  

48 members have voted

1. 1. poll2

• Belgium /images/emoji/twitter/belgium.png?v=5
    • England ! Englandminiflag

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could never understand what is so exciting about watching grown up people run after a ball and then vandalize and kill people when their team had faster running men who kicked a ball into a net.

Even without the violence that comes with it, I never understood what is in any way exciting about that.
A total waste of time. I know people who really plan their evening around a match, even though they just could get the score after the fact. Can’t wrap my head around that.

Quiddich on the other hand… yeah… that would be exciting.

I could never understand what is so exciting about watching grown up people run after a ball and then vandalize and kill people when their team had faster running men who kicked a ball into a net.

Even without the violence that comes with it, I never understood what is in any way exciting about that.

A total waste of time. I know people who really plan their evening around a match, even though they just could get the score after the fact. Can’t wrap my head around that.

Speaking about a very small minority of people when you consider that you are talking about the sport that a billion+ people play and watch regularly. Also - the idea that just having “faster running men” is all it takes is completely wrong!

The beauty of the sport is that there are so many different ways of playing it.

From the magnificent looking Total Football of the Dutch in the 70’s, to the impossible to out-think defensive Italian teams of the 90’s, the “we will kick you if you come near us” English teams of the 80’s and not forgetting the “we will make you dizzy with our twists, turns and feints” of every Brazilian team - along with all the variations and combinations of these approaches that teams take - that’s what is so great about it.

The fact that a fast skinny kid might not be able to beat the quick thinking but slower moving big kid or that one kid who does nothing but stand near the goal but manages to score every time. So many variations in style, skill, ability, strengths etc - anyone can play the game and it can be played anywhere, anytime.

The beautiful game is beautiful in every way aside from the couple of thugs who use it as an excuse to be thugs.

Speaking about a very small minority of people when you consider that you are talking about the sport that a billion+ people play and watch regularly. Also - the idea that just having “faster running men” is all it takes is completely wrong!

From the magnificent looking Total Football of the Dutch in the 70’s, to the impossible to out-think defensive Italian teams of the 90’s, the “we will kick you if you come near us” English teams of the 80’s and not forgetting the “we will make you dizzy with our twists, turns and feints” of every Brazilian team - along with all the variations and combinations of these approaches that teams take - that’s what is so great about it.

The fact that a fast skinny kid might not be able to beat the quick thinking but slower moving big kid or that one kid who does nothing but stand near the goal but manages to score every time. So many variations in style, skill, ability, strengths etc - anyone can play the game and it can be played anywhere, anytime.

The beautiful game is beautiful in every way aside from the couple of thugs who use it as an excuse to be thugs.

You know here in the states we just scratch our heads and yell “Pick up the damned ball.” I’m sure some of my family in Italy just made the sign of the cross for that comment.

https://gph.is/2yU0EJ7

giphy.gif.b64ee536ff3faab8c6d70e01b96e6f61.gif

Some folks say the same thing about grown sweaty men running up and down a 🏀 football field. I remember my grandma used to say “Child, go find something better to watch”. :rofl:

The same thing happens in the 🇺🇸 like it’s about to become extinct, and vandalizing buildings. I remember after the Superbowl, people went berserk because they lost bets. I shook my head and was like; it’s your City you’re screwing up, the places they shop and eat at. smh

So dumb.

I’m into sports, but I’m not going to make myself look like a fool. For what?! LOLz

😂

Maybe people should watch 🏏

Some folks say the same thing about grown sweaty men running up and down a 🏀 football field. I remember my grandma used to say “Child, go find something better to watch”. :rofl:

The same thing happens in the 🇺🇸 like it’s about to become extinct, and vandalizing buildings. I remember after the Superbowl, people went berserk because they lost bets. I shook my head and was like; it’s your City you’re screwing up, the places they shop and eat at. smh

So dumb.

I’m into sports, but I’m not going to make myself look like a fool. For what?! LOLz

😂

Have you tried rugby? I think Americans would embrace it far more than soccer.

Um, no! 😅

I’ve watched it. Yikes! It’s a very physical brutal sport. 😬

I couldn’t deal with hands in my face and all over my bod.

Fencing is a cool sport that I dig. ⚔️

fencing.jpg.981b06edca41f6eb4e5f4954b867ecd7.jpg

What kinda sports are you into? Please don’t say 🏈 hahaha.

I bet you’re into WWE or MMA cage fighting. 🙃

Um, no! 😅

I’ve watched it. Yikes! It’s a very physical brutal sport. 😬

I couldn’t deal with hands in my face and all over my bod.

Fencing is a cool sport that I dig. ⚔️

fencing

No American football is boring. and no cage fighting. LOL

New-York-Yankees-Team-logo-1024x819.thumb.png.228467e7647272004baca02e27d662d6.png

Bwahahaha d’oh I knew it! I was just waiting for you to confirm. 😛

Wait… are you sure you’re not a Boston red sox fan? 😶

I’m heading out to dinner. 🍕

Later 🥜

Bwahahaha d’oh I knew it! I was just waiting for you to confirm. 😛

Wait… are you sure you’re not a Boston red sox fan? 😶

I’m heading out to dinner. 🍕

Later 🥜

Enjoy. Have a great night. But it goes without saying case the Yanks are America’s team!

Even though I don’t watch football very much, I love the World Cup. My family loves to watch all the ceremonies and enjoy the music and the history that go along with them. And there is something magical about watching the world playing together. My husband likes to watch as many of the games as possible and I watch over his shoulder a bit.

Our favorite so far was the South African World Cup. We still listen to some of the music from that year and have fond memories of the buzzing of the vuvuzelas 😃

Have you tried rugby?

No, my opinion is us Americans enjoy REAL sports such as Football, Soccer, and MMA.

MMA.

American viewership of soccer is almost non existent, other than as a kids game on Saturday afternoons because there’s no chance of anyone getting hurt.

Might be that way, yet it couldn’t bother me how someone is kicking a ball.

There is also a TV-show here in NL were people, who don’t even play the game, discuss for hours how others played the game. The talking takes longer than the game itself.

Mod Note: Reply edited as considering that the forum is essentially a PG13 place

Archived