Are we going to be classed as employees?

orcatek

As long as fiverr is not getting involved in how we do our jobs, telling us how to do them, they are not our employers. That is just US law.

I just saw this, but maybe this is one reason that Customer Support tells us to work things out with the buyer so often. I see people complain about that a lot, but it may help protect Fiverr and us. If Fiverr got too involves in our businesses and we were “employees” that would be a whole new hornet’s nest. I don’t think it will happen either.

That’s true. But fiverr does direct our gigs when they are in review, so it’s a gray area. Probably as far as how our gigs appear on the site they can control that, but not how we do our jobs.

So as you mentioned, when customer support says it can’t force a buyer to accept a delivery, that is a hands off approach to the way sellers do business.

California’s rulings only apply to California.

Besides, Uber/Lyft are treating their drivers like employees when it suits them and contractors when it doesn’t. What do I mean? As a Lyft driver, I’m not allowed to have a personal pet in my vehicle but I’m expected to transport people with service animals.

Smokers are also not allowed to smoke in their own vehicles. If a passenger reports a car that smells like smoke, they could lose their account.

Drivers are not allowed to carry guns, even if the law allows them to do so. This exposes them to danger, there are drivers that have been killed by passengers. Since I don’t have a metal detector or the time to frisk my passengers, I will never know until it’s too late.

Lyft/Uber fees are constantly changing. There’s been reports that drivers are grossly underpaid compared to what the passengers are paying. With Fiverr, it’s always 20%, with Uber, you never know. Might be 25%, might be 30%, there might be extra fees.

Suffice to say, Lyft/Uber have zero respect for their drivers. They don’t pay for our gasoline, insurance, and repair, yet they treat us like we’re company drivers and our cars are their property. That is why they’re being regulated. If they had respected their drivers, none of this would be happening.

So I don’t think Fiverr freelancers are going to be classed as employees. Only people who work for Fiverr, such as Customer Service, Developers, etc, are employees.

what I meant was their USA offices are in New York, so they follow New York State Law

Well, the NYC office is just like a branch that serves an Israeli company. While that office has to do taxes according to state law, that has nothing to do with freelancers no matter where they live. Fiverr has small offices in Florida, California, etc. All offices work under the headquarters in Israel.

California’s rulings only apply to California.

Besides, Uber/Lyft are treating their drivers like employees when it suits them and contractors when it doesn’t. What do I mean? As a Lyft driver, I’m not allowed to have a personal pet in my vehicle but I’m expected to transport people with service animals.

Smokers are also not allowed to smoke in their own vehicles. If a passenger reports a car that smells like smoke, they could lose their account.

Drivers are not allowed to carry guns, even if the law allows them to do so. This exposes them to danger, there are drivers that have been killed by passengers. Since I don’t have a metal detector or the time to frisk my passengers, I will never know until it’s too late.

Lyft/Uber fees are constantly changing. There’s been reports that drivers are grossly underpaid compared to what the passengers are paying. With Fiverr, it’s always 20%, with Uber, you never know. Might be 25%, might be 30%, there might be extra fees.

Suffice to say, Lyft/Uber have zero respect for their drivers. They don’t pay for our gasoline, insurance, and repair, yet they treat us like we’re company drivers and our cars are their property. That is why they’re being regulated. If they had respected their drivers, none of this would be happening.

So I don’t think Fiverr freelancers are going to be classed as employees. Only people who work for Fiverr, such as Customer Service, Developers, etc, are employees.

Wow, that’s sad, scary and super crazy. 😲 I remember once upon a time; dash cams wasn’t allowed. I’ve noticed more & more drivers with dash cams for their safety. What about mace? or a in your car and whatnot.

Wow, that’s sad, scary and super crazy. 😲 I remember once upon a time; dash cams wasn’t allowed. I’ve noticed more & more drivers with dash cams for their safety. What about mace? or a in your car and whatnot.

a baseball bat?

I can’t picture fastcopywriter using a St. Louis Slugger on a passenger.

a baseball bat?

I can see FCW defending himself if push comes to shove. 😂

I hope he got a backup plan just in case 💩 hits the fan.

I’ve encountered a bunch of creepy Uber drivers. The ones that stare me down in the rearview mirror like a hawk searching for its prey. Wanting to chit-chat when I’m not in the mood. Or the ones that get too personal. “So, are you single?” I just want to say “dude just shut up and drive.” :rofl:

Knock on wood: So far I haven’t had a creepy Lyft driver.

I can see FCW defending himself if push comes to shove. 😂

I hope he got a backup plan just in case 💩 hits the fan.

I’ve encountered a bunch of creepy Uber drivers. The ones that stare me down in the rearview mirror like a hawk searching for its prey. Wanting to chit-chat when I’m not in the mood. Or the ones that get too personal. “So, are you single?” I just want to say “dude just shut up and drive.” :rofl:

Knock on wood: So far I haven’t had a creepy Lyft driver.

I’m not comfortable getting into a car with a strange man. A taxi seems safe though for some reason.

I’m not comfortable getting into a car with a strange man. A taxi seems safe though for some reason.

Yeah. I usually drive, but on some occasions - ordering a ride is so much easier.

I’m no weakling tho, I’d fight back. Bruce Lee style! :no_good_woman:t4:

What about mace?

Their specific policy is “no weapons” so that counts as a weapon. Of course, you can do whatever you want, but you’ll be fired if Uber/Lyft finds out.

barfing 🤢 in your car and whatnot.

You report that to the company and they give you $150 to clean it up. So far that hasn’t happened to me.

You’re right about that, besides, bats are a bit cumbersome in enclosed spaces. I did watch a movie where a driver crashes his car against a wall, the passenger wasn’t wearing a seatbelt.

A knife is also an alternative, but you have to be ready to use it or the bad guy will grab it and use it a danger. A gun is more intimidating because one little pull of the trigger can end the bad guy’s life. Florida even has a warning shot law, some bad guys will come to their senses then.

What about mace?

Their specific policy is “no weapons” so that counts as a weapon. Of course, you can do whatever you want, but you’ll be fired if Uber/Lyft finds out.

You report that to the company and they give you $150 to clean it up. So far that hasn’t happened to me.

You’re right about that, besides, bats are a bit cumbersome in enclosed spaces. I did watch a movie where a driver crashes his car against a wall, the passenger wasn’t wearing a seatbelt.

A knife is also an alternative, but you have to be ready to use it or the bad guy will grab it and use it a danger. A gun is more intimidating because one little pull of the trigger can end the bad guy’s life. Florida even has a warning shot law, some bad guys will come to their senses then.

You can shoot to defend yourself in Florida, the Stand Your Ground Law.

A bat is also not legal as a weapon unless you also have a ball and glove in your car with it.

Best thing is to take some money or your wallet and throw it far away from you so they go after it.

Pepper spray disables an attacker too.

What about mace?

Never leave the house without nunchucks. 😛

You can shoot to defend yourself in Florida, the Stand Your Ground Law.

A bat is also not legal as a weapon unless you also have a ball and glove in your car with it.

Best thing is to take some money or your wallet and throw it far away from you so they go after it.

Pepper spray disables an attacker too.

True, in Florida you have no duty to retreat (Stand Your Ground). Then again, I’m 5’11, 270 pounds, I’m not retreating anywhere fast. LOL

True, in Florida you have no duty to retreat (Stand Your Ground). Then again, I’m 5’11, 270 pounds, I’m not retreating anywhere fast. LOL

I wouldn’t do that without a gun for protection, my life means more to me than that rule in this case. Most big city cabdrivers have them under the seat.

Archived