Questions For Buyers: What do you look for in sellers?

jcmcbride

When my buyers message me for more info regarding my gig before ordering or creating custom order is that they always mention how professional my portfolio looks like and the previous work I made from my previous clients.I figured out that the client is always looking and reviewing the portfolio area and creating a short video ad for your gig and lining up your previous work will allow the buyer to see immediately what kind of work you deliver.The accuracy of the details in the description area as well the packaging is also necessary as they really want to know what kind of service you provide.

• Like 5

On 4/5/2018 at 12:13 PM, mywordpresspro said:

Sorry about that…I’ll correct that now

I like this, the apology and now if you just do one more… it’s all good. 👍

We are all Americans after all. You can’t assume that English is someone’s second language, that was kind of, well you know.

• Like 6

So here is my two cents on buying.
Most of the time it depends what I am buying and for what purpose.
For example, I buy a lot of writing gigs. My process for choosing writers is like this:

• Check out people on the forum who write well (I am on the forum a lot so I can see those who are good at it. Probably 70-80% of the writers I hired were from the forum. However, the ones I hire are those who actually contribute to conversations and can express themselves well. Those who just spam the forum will never be hired.
  • Check out their profiles; who are they and how could they relate to the article I need written. eg. I hired a student recently to write something specifically about being a student. I hired a tech guy to write about tech.
  • Check out their gigs and descriptions. What do they offer, price, word count, time-frame, etc.
  • Check reviews to see if they have any bad reviews. Assess the reviews and take them with a pinch of salt unless there is a high proportion of them.
  • If my article is something specific, I tend to send a message and ask them if they are happy to write about it.

Now, the above seems like a lot, right? Well that’s because these articles are important and writing is an art form which some can do and others think they can do but can’t. I apply similar criteria when hiring for things like video, logo, graphics etc. Once I find a writer, I tend to give them a lot of orders, even if they are not 100% suited to the particular job. It is easier than looking for a new one. I have never had an issue with any writer I have hired - every one delivered what was required.

I also hired someone recently for a very simple but time consuming job which was data collection from a site.
For this,

• I went to the VA section
  • selected “New Sellers”
  • opened the profiles of a couple of sellers
  • checked the price/number of hours
  • selected one which had a nice description and a good (but not the lowest) price.
  • sent them a message explaining what I wanted and was impressed when they responded asking for more info and specifics about how I wanted the data laid out.
  • Hired them through a custom offer with a delivery date that they picked. ($25)

Now, the results…
With my recent writing orders, I received excellent work, delivered on time. I have since reordered with both.

With the data collection order, I have had 2 extension requests which were extremely polite and as I am not in a rush for it, I allowed them. I have just received their delivery and it had nothing attached so I have requested a revision obviously. I took a chance on someone without any reviews and was as nice as can be in allowing them everything they asked for to complete the order. In the end, if this is cancelled then it is not an issue as I can get someone else and it is not time dependent. However, for a lot of orders, this would have been a disaster as it would have affected me delivering for a client of mine.

So that’s the how and why I choose certain sellers over others. Had the new seller done what was asked, even with an extension, they could have counted on several repeat orders. Not a chance of that now. Just had another look at the order - the order was delivered empty 15 mins before it would have been late (for the third time). Still giving them benefit of the doubt but I can’t see this being anything other than a cancellation.

• Like 19
  • Up 1

For example, I buy a lot of writing gigs. My process for choosing writers is like this:

• Check out people on the forum who write well (I am on the forum a lot so I can see those who are good at it. Probably 70-80% of the writers I hired were from the forum. However, the ones I hire are those who actually contribute to conversations and can express themselves well. Those who just spam the forum will never be hired.
  • Check out their profiles; who are they and how could they relate to the article I need written. eg. I hired a student recently to write something specifically about being a student. I hired a tech guy to write about tech.
  • Check out their gigs and descriptions. What do they offer, price, word count, time-frame, etc.
  • Check reviews to see if they have any bad reviews. Assess the reviews and take them with a pinch of salt unless there is a high proportion of them.
  • If my article is something specific, I tend to send a message and ask them if they are happy to write about it.

Now, the above seems like a lot, right? Well that’s because these articles are important and writing is an art form which some can do and others think they can do but can’t. I apply similar criteria when hiring for things like video, logo, graphics etc. Once I find a writer, I tend to give them a lot of orders, even if they are not 100% suited to the particular job. It is easier than looking for a new one. I have never had an issue with any writer I have hired - every one delivered what was required.

I also hired someone recently for a very simple but time consuming job which was data collection from a site.

For this,

• selected “New Sellers”
  • selected one which had a nice description and a good (but not the lowest) price.
  • sent them a message explaining what I wanted and was impressed when they responded asking for more info and specifics about how I wanted the data laid out.
  • Hired them through a custom offer with a delivery date that they picked. ($25)

Now, the results…

With my recent writing orders, I received excellent work, delivered on time. I have since reordered with both.

With the data collection order, I have had 2 extension requests which were extremely polite and as I am not in a rush for it, I allowed them. I have just received their delivery and it had nothing attached so I have requested a revision obviously. I took a chance on someone without any reviews and was as nice as can be in allowing them everything they asked for to complete the order. In the end, if this is cancelled then it is not an issue as I can get someone else and it is not time dependent. However, for a lot of orders, this would have been a disaster as it would have affected me delivering for a client of mine.

So that’s the how and why I choose certain sellers over others. Had the new seller done what was asked, even with an extension, they could have counted on several repeat orders. Not a chance of that now. Just had another look at the order - the order was delivered empty 15 mins before it would have been late (for the third time). Still giving them benefit of the doubt but I can’t see this being anything other than a cancellation.

oh! wow this forum gives a lot of benefits .:🙂

• Like 4

I like this, the apology and now if you just do one more… it’s all good. 👍

We are all Americans after all. You can’t assume that English is someone’s second language, that was kind of, well you know.

Eh, it’s fine. Not all of us are American, although I get the mistake a lot when I tell people I’ve lived in Asia.

Questionable statements aside, I just don’t enjoy being psychoanalyzed (incorrectly) each time I comment on a thread with how I’d do something a certain way.

• Like 4

For this,

• selected “New Sellers”

Now, the results…

I also prefer to hire sellers from the forum. I look up their profile and how they express themselves when discussing issues. At one point I was so close to hiring a seller from the forum when I randomly bumped into a conversation they were being very rude to other forum users. That was a deal-breaker.

• Like 10
  • Up 1

For this,

• selected “New Sellers”

Now, the results…

For example, I buy a lot of writing gigs

Thank you for that detailed account. I am especially interested in how people select writing gigs. I am going to further optimizing my gigs and this has helped me get a better idea of what I can improve on.

• Like 6

Firstly - Can everyone refrain from turning this into a “new seller v lev 1 v lev 2 v TRS v Pro” argument.

These are completely useless and help nobody. Fiverr has plenty of space for all sellers.

In 2.5 years here with over 1200 completed orders, I have gone from new to TRS and not once has a buyer ever mentioned my level. Never. None. Some might have chosen me because of it but I think there are many other reasons for it.

It is probably best for people to discuss those reasons instead as these are things that people can actually control - controlling your level is much less achievable so why bother discussing it?

Firstly - Can everyone refrain from turning this into a “new seller v lev 1 v lev 2 v TRS v Pro” argument.

These are completely useless and help nobody. Fiverr has plenty of space for all sellers.

In 2.5 years here with over 1200 completed orders, I have gone from new to TRS and not once has a buyer ever mentioned my level. Never. None. Some might have chosen me because of it but I think there are many other reasons for it.

It is probably best for people to discuss those reasons instead as these are things that people can actually control - controlling your level is much less achievable so why bother discussing it?

@eoinfinnegan since you’re a moderator…Can you close this thread because of what people have turned it to be…And thank you in advance

• Like 4

I also prefer to hire sellers from the forum. I look up their profile and how they express themselves when discussing issues. At one point I was so close to hiring a seller from the forum when I randomly bumped into a conversation they were being very rude to other forum users. That was a deal-breaker.

I randomly bumped into a conversation they were being very rude to other forum users. That was a deal-breaker.

Funny enough, it isn’t for me. I have hired people that I had to suspend from the forum 😃

It really depends on the context I suppose but I haven’t not-hired someone for something that happened on the forum.

I am especially interested in how people select writing gigs. I am going to further optimizing my gigs and this has helped me get a better idea of what I can improve on.

I strongly suggest that writers create specific gigs for specific subjects, rather than just one “I am a writer, have me write anything” type gigs. It helps me as a buyer choose and helps the gigs show up in search results. Think about it - if you want a tech writer, would you just search for “writer”? Of course not, you would try out the more specific search term. Nothing wrong with having a general one too of course but specific ones are much more attractive.

Can you close this thread because of what people have turned it to be…And thank you in advance

No need, I have flagged the comments which were not appropriate to the topic and asked people to stick to it in future. It doesnt need to be removed as it is a very useful topic.

• Like 11

Let’s please remember to be professional and civil to each other.

I am a copywriter and spend a lot of time thinking and learning about buyer motivation. I love to learn about how people make decisions. It makes me a better writer and a better businessperson.

I was once a new seller on Fiverr. It was hard to get my first order. But, the best advice I ever found to breakthrough on Fiverr is to start by offering something someone would be crazy to turn down. I had a lot of skills and experience before I came to this platform. But, no buyers knew anything about me. I needed the social proof that reviews provide. I also wanted to rank up to take advantage of different features. For the first couple of months I offered to write 2 500 word articles for $5 in 24 hours. That was a ridiculously low price. Too low to make a profit. But, at that stage my goal was to get reviews because even a few reviews would lead to more sales.

It worked. I worked long hours and did amazing work. I quickly leveled up and raised my prices. I kept that same pattern. Every Fiverr seller starts from zero. Getting your first few sales is tough… But, it is up to you to put in the work to get the sales. Fiverr isn’t a magic lamp.

Today I would charge $400 for the same offer I started out with…and buyers pay it. The reason is I have put in the work to build a reputation. Nobody is going to give you anything. You have to give them a reason to give your services a try.

This post is about discovering what reasons are most attractive to buyers. So far it sounds like reviews are the biggest factor.

When I first first started on fiverr, it had just come out and I offered to write poetry; back then 5USD was the most we could charge. Got two purchases and then nothing. The platform was still new and I was in college at the time and major project came up that took me away completely.

Vacay mode didn’t exist so my account was closed out. After things settled down I went back and started another account, a lot had changed from the early days to this point. I came in with a traditional illustration gig and got a sell.

Social media wasn’t big on the radar as it seemed overly complicated, to me, to use. I’ve gotten a little better but I guess I’m overly protective of work that’s been completed outside of the platform and don’t showcase much of what I’ve done. If I were in the market to purchase something, I will search for a candidate that’s not afraid to ask questsions for clarification and will have an understanding of what I’m asking of them; especially so for niche specific requests.

• Like 4

For this,

• selected “New Sellers”

Now, the results…

I know it is a little O/T but just want to highlight the fact that this New Seller that I hired redelivered just now and had actually done a hell of a lot more than I had asked of them so while the extensions were annoying, the final delivery was well above what was expected.

• Like 11

I know it is a little O/T but just want to highlight the fact that this New Seller that I hired redelivered just now and had actually done a hell of a lot more than I had asked of them so while the extensions were annoying, the final delivery was well above what was expected.

Awesomesauce! 🎉

• Like 10

How else do we grow? By finding ways to overcome the challenges of being a new seller, without placing the responsibility for your success on other people. It’s not up to the buyers to give new sellers the benefit of the doubt. It’s up to the sellers to make the sale, despite not having reviews to back up their work.

I did it. I started with no reviews.

I think I’ve had success on Fiverr because I don’t fall into that victim mindset, blaming buyers for not buying for me. Anyone who takes responsibility for their own success will have success.

Thanks for the glimpse into your Fiverr success story. Now, I know both mentality and attitude towards the Fiverr marketplace goes a long way in determining your results at the end of the day.

• Like 4

Working with your perspective as a buyer (with respect to your 2nd post on the platform)

If you don’t mind me asking, that is. Even amidst the bumpy situation you faced with the new seller, does the fact they made an exceptional delivery TRUMP their inability to meet the stated deadlines (including the extensions requests asked for) and also whether it can guarantee return orders from you in the future?

• Like 4

Working with your perspective as a buyer (with respect to your 2nd post on the platform)

If you don’t mind me asking, that is. Even amidst the bumpy situation you faced with the new seller, does the fact they made an exceptional delivery TRUMP their inability to meet the stated deadlines (including the extensions requests asked for) and also whether it can guarantee return orders from you in the future?

It’s a good question. The thing is, this seller knew that I was not in a rush for this order. I told them at the beginning to choose how long to take. They had 2 extensions to that, they asked for 1 day and each time I said take 2 days! I really wasnt in a rush for this so it didnt affect me aside from the fact that I dislike people being unprofessional. If they had said 10 days in the beginning then everything would have been fine. Instead they said 4 and took 10…

I might use them for similar stuff as the price was good and the end delivery was good but if I have a deadline then no, I won’t use them again. I would actually have tipped more for this service if they had not messed around. As it was, I gave them $5 on a $25 order but if all had gone well, I would have tipped more, probably $25 as it was really cheap.

Remember though, I am not a typical buyer in that I tend to look at things from the seller’s point of view and I am rarely in a hurry for something. That is not normal.

• Like 7

It’s a good question. The thing is, this seller knew that I was not in a rush for this order. I told them at the beginning to choose how long to take. They had 2 extensions to that, they asked for 1 day and each time I said take 2 days! I really wasnt in a rush for this so it didnt affect me aside from the fact that I dislike people being unprofessional. If they had said 10 days in the beginning then everything would have been fine. Instead they said 4 and took 10…

I might use them for similar stuff as the price was good and the end delivery was good but if I have a deadline then no, I won’t use them again. I would actually have tipped more for this service if they had not messed around. As it was, I gave them $5 on a $25 order but if all had gone well, I would have tipped more, probably $25 as it was really cheap.

Remember though, I am not a typical buyer in that I tend to look at things from the seller’s point of view and I am rarely in a hurry for something. That is not normal.

Thanks for your thoughts on this issue and the clarification that buyers more often than not have deadlines they expect to be met.

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

For this,

• selected “New Sellers”

Now, the results…

That’s an extremely logical way of doing it. I believe the serious Fiverr returning buyers use much the same process. And your explanation shows how other buyers are likely to be impressed by sellers.

• Like 5

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...