Milestones - when do you get paid?

alysmcdonough

When you have got a gig and have 3 milestones eg today, 10 days from today, 10 days after that - when do you get paid ?

I was under the perhaps incorrect impression you got paid when the buyer okayed each milestone. eg if my buyer okayed a milestone today, I’d then see it in my pending payments that would be clearing say 14-17 days from today.

I am thinking if this is NOT the case, three separate orders would have been more logical for me to do.

Also - I completed the first milestone today 5 days earlier than the actual first milestone, and it said it would be processed or something like that in 5 days. (Not the usual 3) This was before the buyer okayed the order. Is there some stupid fiverr thing where I’d get paid after that (ie it would go through the normal clearing process after 5 days?)

The only other way out of this seems for the buyer to end the gig and then I get paid what they’ve okayed, but seems so stupid and annoying and pointless to have them in the first place if this is the case of having to wait. (?)

ps between this and the way fiverr does it’s levels, i have a headache. (the levels is a whole nother story)

• Like 25

When you have got a gig and have 3 milestones eg today, 10 days from today, 10 days after that - when do you get paid ?

I was under the perhaps incorrect impression you got paid when the buyer okayed each milestone. eg if my buyer okayed a milestone today, I’d then see it in my pending payments that would be clearing say 14-17 days from today.

I am thinking if this is NOT the case, three separate orders would have been more logical for me to do.

Also - I completed the first milestone today 5 days earlier than the actual first milestone, and it said it would be processed or something like that in 5 days. (Not the usual 3) This was before the buyer okayed the order. Is there some stupid fiverr thing where I’d get paid after that (ie it would go through the normal clearing process after 5 days?)

The only other way out of this seems for the buyer to end the gig and then I get paid what they’ve okayed, but seems so stupid and annoying and pointless to have them in the first place if this is the case of having to wait. (?)

ps between this and the way fiverr does it’s levels, i have a headache. (the levels is a whole nother story)

three separate orders would have been more logical for me to do.

Yep. There’s not much value in milestones right now.

Outside of Fiverr, I ask for 50% deposit before I start working and I get that right away. Otherwise I wouldn’t be able to get the licenses. In Fiverr I often need to invest my own money and hope that the buyer doesn’t cancel or ask buyers to purchase their own licenses which is a rather difficult task for some 🙂

• Like 5

three separate orders would have been more logical for me to do.

Yep. There’s not much value in milestones right now.

Outside of Fiverr, I ask for 50% deposit before I start working and I get that right away. Otherwise I wouldn’t be able to get the licenses. In Fiverr I often need to invest my own money and hope that the buyer doesn’t cancel or ask buyers to purchase their own licenses which is a rather difficult task for some 🙂

Thanks everyone, how depressing.

Oh I love fiverr.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Then what is the benefit of milestones?

Let’s say there are 2 milestones. You deliver the first one and your client approves it. You deliver the second one and you client isn’t happy with second milestone delivery. If you decide to cancel the order, fiverr will refund amount of 2nd milestone only. You will still receive amount of 1st milestone.

• Like 2

Let’s say there are 2 milestones. You deliver the first one and your client approves it. You deliver the second one and you client isn’t happy with second milestone delivery. If you decide to cancel the order, fiverr will refund amount of 2nd milestone only. You will still receive amount of 1st milestone.

ok. thank you very much

• Like 1

I have order of 3 milestone. Buyer approve first 2 milestone but he refuse to approve 3rd milestone as he want more work in free. If i cancel the order then can i get payment of first 2 milestone.?

What i do in this situation as he just give me revisions to get free work and refuse to complete the project if i will not do his work.

I have order of 3 milestone. Buyer approve first 2 milestone but he refuse to approve 3rd milestone as he want more work in free. If i cancel the order then can i get payment of first 2 milestone.?

What i do in this situation as he just give me revisions to get free work and refuse to complete the project if i will not do his work.

Instead of cancelling it straight away try to tell your client that why, what he is asking for will cost extra and what he is doing (using revision button to get more work done) is against fiverr’s ToS. I would suggest you to explain everything before you request cancellation.

Yes, if you end up cancelling the order, you will be paid for completing first 2 milestones. Amount of 3rd milestone will be refunded to your client.

• Like 1

I have already discussed with buyer and also concat fiverr support but they mail me that they can’t do anything in this case.

I am really frustrated and want to cancel order as i have waste my lots of time to give him revisions. He want more features in free that i can’t.

• 9 months later...

Instead of cancelling it straight away try to tell your client that why, what he is asking for will cost extra and what he is doing (using revision button to get more work done) is against fiverr’s ToS. I would suggest you to explain everything before you request cancellation.

Yes, if you end up cancelling the order, you will be paid for completing first 2 milestones. Amount of 3rd milestone will be refunded to your client.

But this thing happened to me today:

The order consisted of 3 milestones.

The buyer accepted first 2 milestones.

The order was of a website development, the first two miles were related to the design and third one to the backend dev. After the third milestone started, the buyer was trying to cancel the order somehow ( after I uploaded the website files in his domains ). Its a rule of milestone that it have to be cancel by contacting customer support. He contacted the support and cancelled the third milestone and now I can see that the money for the first two are also refunded to the buyer. Hence where is the seller protection?

But this thing happened to me today:

The order consisted of 3 milestones.

The buyer accepted first 2 milestones.

The order was of a website development, the first two miles were related to the design and third one to the backend dev. After the third milestone started, the buyer was trying to cancel the order somehow ( after I uploaded the website files in his domains ). Its a rule of milestone that it have to be cancel by contacting customer support. He contacted the support and cancelled the third milestone and now I can see that the money for the first two are also refunded to the buyer. Hence where is the seller protection?

I’d suggest you to check your “earnings” section. Usually what happens is when CS cancels a milestone, you get amount for completed milestone(s) in your “pending clearance” and amount for incomplete milestone(s) is refunded to the buyer.

Below is what it looks like when a milestone is cancelled by CS,

Capture.PNG.424febfd3af19f7fb7e59793d52543fe.PNG

If you see something like this, then it means you will get amount for the completed milestones. If you see “Cancelled” under all your milestones, then it means CS cancelled all the milestones for some reason. If that’s the case, only CS can answer why they did that.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I’d suggest you to check your “earnings” section. Usually what happens is when CS cancels a milestone, you get amount for completed milestone(s) in your “pending clearance” and amount for incomplete milestone(s) is refunded to the buyer.

Below is what it looks like when a milestone is cancelled by CS,

Capture

If you see something like this, then it means you will get amount for the completed milestones. If you see “Cancelled” under all your milestones, then it means CS cancelled all the milestones for some reason. If that’s the case, only CS can answer why they did that.

Hello,

I was reading the correspondence regarding the Milestones.

What is the benefit of using Milestones when you can work with separate works - finish one and continue to the other one?

It seems like your payment for the completed work will be pending until you finish the second and third work.

How weird is that !!!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

No brother, I have successfully completed 2 milestones and in last milestone client was keep asking for modification so i just contacted customer support to cancel my order and i lost all money even if client approved 2 milestone as completed.

I lost all money and wasted 2 months on project.

such a bad experience.

• Like 1

No brother, I have successfully completed 2 milestones and in last milestone client was keep asking for modification so i just contacted customer support to cancel my order and i lost all money even if client approved 2 milestone as completed.

such a bad experience.

i just contacted customer support to cancel my order and i lost all money even if client approved 2 milestone as completed.

But isn’t that because you asked CS to cancel the whole order instead of asking them to cancel the last milestone only?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

such a bad experience.

What I am doing in every project is to give the client a quotation. In that way I indicate the specific scope of work, the number of days to complete and the cost. I also include the things that are not part of the scope and have additional payment with some brief explanation why the payment is separated. In this way my client would understand from the very beginning what are included in my service that they would pay. In the event that they require more work in the revision. I provide them with a second quote named revision summary. I include the things that I accept that should revise and add some they require needs additional payment. I include reasons (like, this requires me to use additional editing software). Fortunately it works for me and my client.

• Like 3

i just contacted customer support to cancel my order and i lost all money even if client approved 2 milestone as completed.

But isn’t that because you asked CS to cancel the whole order instead of asking them to cancel the last milestone only?

i thought fiverr will cancel milestone which is not marked as completed.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dear all,

I am new to Fiverr, I have 3 milestones each 1 for 5 days, I have completed 1st milestone delivered before the delivery date and started working on other 2 milestones as well. But in Fiverr, still no options to start the second milestone. Could you please help me to understand how can i start progressing on milestone 2 and 3 or at least 2.?

Thanks,

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I would recommend not using milestones until Fiverr fixes the issues, You don’t get paid for completing a step of the milestone which is unfair as Upwork pays after each step, I charge monthly rates and use milestones as an easier way to continue recurring customers without setting up a new order every month but in Fiverr i wont get paid until we completely end so im basically working for free.

• Like 2