The power of saying, "NO!"

gina_riley2

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great advice. I actually stepped away from Fiverr after a client kept asking for revisions when the gig specifically stated in two places that I offered none.

Eager to get back to work but be smarter about it this time.

I actually stepped away from Fiverr after a client kept asking for revisions when the gig specifically stated in two places that I offered none.

Aw, no need to do that. Send an offer on the order page for more revisions along with a price.

You will sometimes run into people who try to take advantage as much as they can. The answer to this is firm polite communication to stand up for yourself.

It’s crazy that there are individuals out there wanting free things. You never want to sell yourself short. I will basically tell my clients what I offer and if it isn’t enough then just move on. No need to try to negotiate with someone who is adamant about getting that sample from you.

In my experience, CS knows what’s up. If someone asks you for something beyond the scope of your gig, threatens you with a bad review - or heck, even leaves a bad review, as long as you did everything within the scope of your gig to help a buyer, they will take care of you.

Here’s a (slightly long) example:

I do a voiceover gig. That means narration. I recently had a buyer ask me to re-create the rap part of “Uptown Funk” with some custom lyrics. Not at all what I do - but I tried. He didn’t like it, and refused to cancel the order, so I called in a friend with a music gig who also tried. Buyer still didn’t like it. So I tried something else. Buyer still didn’t like it. All the while, I explained to the buyer - nicely - that what he was asking for was not the service I provide. After the third attempt, I once again kindly told the buyer that if he liked it, he could accept the delivery, and if not, I would like for him to cancel the order and get his money back. He straight up told me he was going to accept it and give a bad review. Which he promptly proceeded to do. In the review he said that I didn’t provide him with a voiceover. I opened a case with CS, who reviewed it, told me that I did everything right, offered to cancel and let him have his money back, even tried to provide a service I don’t provide, and that they were removing the negative review as it violated TOS.

TLDR: I went out of my way to help a buyer, buyer wasn’t happy but refused to cancel, threatened - and left - a bad review, CS took my side because I did everything I could to make it work.

• 3 weeks later...

This is a very important article for all sellers to read. I especially hope all newer sellers pay attention.

Newer sellers are the most targeted since they are afraid of a bad review.

When my gigs began at $5 I still got the occasional buyer who demanded that I do much more than my gig was for. I learned to say no, but still had to cancel too many orders. Part of the solution is not selling gigs for $5 if possible. Even increasing a price to $10 may help head off this kind of buyer.

Sounds good . It’s really necessary article?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived