My experience with Vacation mode (and sales afterward)

jamesbulls

So, following up on a conversation I followed a few weeks ago about vacation mode.

I recently went on a trip out of the country to visit my family and congratulate my brother on graduating from university, and I put my Fiverr account on vacation mode for the five days I was gone (as opposed to just pausing my gigs.)

While I was on vacation mode, I obviously lost all my impressions, clicks, and views because - duh - the Fiverr search ranking system isn’t going to display me while I’m unavailable to complete orders.

When I came back from vacation and set myself available again, my impressions, clicks, and views picked up again. I got an order the same day I was available again, and I went right back to my 1-5 orders a day that I had before I went on vacation mode.

So yeah, my experience with vacation mode? Nothing lost and no meaningful drops in my metrics.

Maybe other sellers are having a different experience, but for me there was no problem getting back into the sales stream.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly appreciate the sharing of your experience! Mine is the opposite and I really don’t know why. From what I can tell on the forum, Vacation Mode is a different experience for different people on a routine basis and that is unfortunate. I had to go on VM for about 7 days due to a move and lack of consistent internet in my rural area. I returned to available several days ago.

Since then my usual positions on the top 3-4 pages have not been restored and my impressions are dismal. I’m actually OK with that since I deliberately went available earlier than necessary assuming that I could use a hotspot for immediate needs and wait out any delays. Even though I am now fully restored to activity, though, the only orders/messages I have received have been repeat buyers or those found through buyer requests. So, for anyone wondering - it is apparently a very inconsistent system based on these two experiences.

fonthaunt said: Since then my usual positions on the top 3-4 pages have not been restored

Before I went on vacation mode, I was in the first batch of "High Rating" results in the Astrology & Fortune Telling category as well as its parent category, "Lifestyle." I did lose my "front page" ranking on both, but all the sales I've made since I came back have been to new clients that I haven't worked with before. My ranking ought to come back on its own pretty soon, but I don't pay that much attention to it: it's fun to see where I turn up now and again, but clients are finding me and I couldn't care less how as long as they keep paying, lol

*shrugs* Fiverr works in mysterious ways.

• 5 months later...

I’ve never paused or gone on vacation. What I did do was extend the deadline. 10 days is a long time, but it gave me vital breathing room. Try it! I actually need to shorten my deadlines, but I’ll deal with that another time…

• 1 month later...

Hi, all you awesome sellers. So, I’m a voice over artist, and have some questions about vacation mode. You see, my family is moving, and I will be setting up the new house and building a new recording studio. So I won’t be able to record anything from the 15th of December to the first of January.
1- Will this effect my standing on fiverr?
2- How long is someone allowed to be on vacation mode?
3- How do i inform my clients ahead of time so they can plan around this?
4- Can people still message me when I am in vacation mode?
5- Is there a calendar of availability for sellers, and I’m not aware of it?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Grace

1. Vacation mode does nothing except disable the option to buy your gig. Your seller standing will act exactly as it would if you hadn’t received any sales.

2. You can set vacation mode for up to a month, and you can go on vacation mode as often as you like. You set your own hours and if you want to work only one day out of the month, that’s your business. It’s not very smart business if you want to make money, but it’s still an option. Fiverr doesn’t care how much vacation you take.

3. You can write announcements on your seller profile and it’ll display on the right side of the screen when buyers are looking at your gig. Whether they’ll read it, that’s another thing entirely - there are plenty of buyers on Fiverr who don’t even read the gig description when ordering. If you recruit buyers from off of Fiverr, then you can make announcements on your social networking pages, but that’s about it.

4. No, you can’t be contacted while you’re on vacation mode. You can still send messages and in that case people can respond to you, but nobody is able to initiate these conversations with you without you contacting them first. And although they can’t contact you when you’re on vacation mode, they will be able to see when you’ll be back based on the number of days you set yourself to be away and can choose to be notified when you return.

5. As much as many of us would like to have these kinds of features, Fiverr isn’t a very complex system. This feature doesn’t exist.

I would be careful about vacation mode. I happened to use it once in the last year when my computer broke down and I couldn’t work on any gigs for about a couple of weeks.

Before the vacation mode, my gigs were selling healthy and I was getting at least a few orders per week. Wasn’t something I could completely rely on for a living or anything. But it was making me some extra cash on the side. I was fine with it. One of my gigs was ranked on the first page of the gig category and I was getting 100s of visits on it per day.

2 weeks of vacation mode, and my gig was nowhere to be found even on the first 7-8 pages … I remember it dropped waayyyyy down on the ranking and thus, almost NO views. I didn’t get sales for 10 months on that gig until recently. As was the case with a few other gigs. I did pick up on sales after I diversified and introduced some other gigs and stuff. But that gig is still getting no sales.

shounak10 and all,
I couldn’t agree more with your experience. When you ask CS about the algorithm used for rankings and vacation mode impact they reply with a vacation policy link and say have a nice day. I wish I could get away with non-answers to my Buyers.

My thought is a simple one. Push out your delivery date. “Jamesbull” has it right when he states to put a notification on. So clear your Order queue and put a notification on stating that you’re Business Travel and will be reply as soon as possible. I had the same experience as you which has led me to this approach. To state that Fiverr goes with you wherever you go is disingenuous to those Sellers who can’t bring their Fiverr Gig with them.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I would not recommend going vacation mode. I am with fiverr from around 2+ years and has activated the vacation mode 2 times. The results were not that good. The first time before going on a vacation mode, I was ranked in the top 5 in fiverr search results, after the vacation mode, it was like in the 30s. I was on another vacation the last 2 months and deactivated vacation mode yesterday. The gig that appeared in top 10 search results for “virtual assistant” was now not even in the list of fiverr search results first page.

So, based on this experience, if you are planning to go on a vacation mode, think twice 😉

• 2 months later...

I went on vacation mode just recently to attend the funeral of my mother’s death. As soon as I got back on Friday, I had orders and inbox messages. Of course, a couple of messages were from repeat buyers but it wasn’t long before my queue was hitting the upper 10s again.

And, my gig is the 20s rankings of the Highest Average, despite my having more than 1k positive reviews.

Strange indeed.

Archived