Wow! Realy? But it Says Your Own Work

silberma1976

I had a buyer who wanted an article akin to a very popular website where getting published is a big deal. The buyer wanted me to write it according to their guidelines. This was in the guidelines:

“Work you didn’t write is not acceptable. Warmed over posts (something you published previously with just a few new tweaks added) are also unacceptable. (Know that we usually spot these, and they make us very, very unhappy).”

I turned it down.

Why? Won’t that catch up to you? Seems highly unethical when it is in the terms you have to write it.

To be honest, regardless of what the buyer wants my content for, I’ll still complete the work as long as they are paying. If they’re doing something un-ethical, that’s down to them

Good point. I simply do not want someone coming back to me saying for some reason (6-8 weeks later when they decide to take a piece) it is not good enough or needs certain edits. Did not seem worth the hassle to me.

Good point. I simply do not want someone coming back to me saying for some reason (6-8 weeks later when they decide to take a piece) it is not good enough or needs certain edits. Did not seem worth the hassle to me.

Should of taken the job with no revisions, and explain the circumstances why to the buyer. End of the day, that buyer will only go elsewhere 🙂

Should of taken the job with no revisions, and explain the circumstances why to the buyer. End of the day, that buyer will only go elsewhere 🙂

I am okay with that end result as I have another buyer who seems to be really authentic and has a cool long term potential project I want to focus on.

I think you did the right thing here.
Ethical or not, there’s a good chance that this buyer will become a pain in the a$$. It’s better to say no right away.

Every time a buyer starts with a warning, I say no. If they don’t trust you or ask you to do something fishy, it’s better to walk away.

Archived