I raised my prices...and it was great!

somaginer1996

Congrats!!
When I first raised my price I was worried that I will lose some repeating buyers, but now that
I think back I can only remember just two who complained. (one even called me greedy, bleh)
Others were all like “It’s about time!” and “Don’t worry!”

I was so glad I raised the price, and I’m glad for you too!! 😃
Great feeling, right? 😆

aaaaand happy birthday too, have a good one! 🎂

How do you like being called Mr. ?

I have been called a lot worse.

Actually, I have been called that by a lot of young people; from all different places, from the southern US states to rural Ireland Eastern Europe, and now Egypt. I think I may need to insist on others using it too.

Thank you so much for the tips, I’m getting excited over here! I really want to start learning how WordPress works. But when I tried to get into WordPress, I checked some blogs that talks about it and all of them mentioned PHP & how it’s so important to know so you could edit or change how a theme looks like. So how do you customize the themes to meet your client’s needs. Is it done through a software that I should learn how to use or maybe another programming language?

I really appreciate your time, I hope that my questions aren’t distracting you from doing something. If you would like, we could talk through PMs as this is getting way off topic.

Actually, I have been called that by a lot of young people; from all different places, from the southern US states to rural Ireland Eastern Europe, and now Egypt. I think I may need to insist on others using it too.

😄 I know that people don’t like to be called “Sir/ma’am” but what about Mr & Mrs when talking to people?

Thank you so much for the tips, I’m getting excited over here! I really want to start learning how WordPress works. But when I tried to get into WordPress, I checked some blogs that talks about it and all of them mentioned PHP & how it’s so important to know so you could edit or change how a theme looks like. So how do you customize the themes to meet your client’s needs. Is it done through a software that I should learn how to use or maybe another programming language?

I really appreciate your time, I hope that my questions aren’t distracting you from doing something. If you would like, we could talk through PMs as this is getting way off topic.

😄 I know that people don’t like to be called “Sir/ma’am” but what about Mr & Mrs when talking to people?

I take it as a sign of respect for your elders and that is not something I would ever discourage!

It depends on the buyer I think - those who are in their 20s or 30s might not like it but I think older people will appreciate it.

This is something I’ve wanted to post for a while, and is purely based on my experiences. I just thought it would be useful to some to know that sometimes raising your prices can be the right thing to do.

I’ve been considering raising my prices for several months. My short story gig was the reason I started thinking about it: I had 500 words for $5 as the minimum amount, but because I kept overwriting I ended up selling 1,000 words to a repeat buyer who ever only ordered at $5. I wanted to raise the minimum price of that gig to $10 so I could stop losing time and money, but I was scared of deviating from the base price of $5.

When I did end up tweaking my prices, I changed the bottom prices of both my short story gig and blog post gig to $10, and raised prices slightly on my translation gig.

A few things have happened since then.

1. That $5 buyer did disappear, but that was the only buyer I ended up losing. (I also took a break for about two months from Fiverr, so I was lucky enough to not have many repeat buyers to lose in the first place.)

2. More people have come to me for bigger projects, so that instead of earning $5-$10 per project I’ve now been earning around $20-$30. Although the short stories/articles themselves are longer, extending/expanding a piece is much easier than developing up a new one for each order, especially given my tendencies for overwriting.

3. My new buyers are much more generous. They no longer ask for discounts on bulk orders. I’ve been tipped several times within the last two weeks even though the orders themselves are also more expensive. They also tend to write more detailed reviews and are more courteous in general.

4. Despite working at a more leisurely pace with long delivery times on each gig (since I’m a student), I’ve earned more last month than what I did during the summer even with all the time I devoted a lot to keeping up with school work.

Surprisingly enough, I actually haven’t been getting as many orders on my older gigs that remain with a starting price of $5 than my other ones, although this may also be a side effect of my short story gig being featured.

Just wanted to share a positive experience and encourage some of y’all out there that raising your prices can be great!

That $5 buyer did disappear,

Awesome, same thing happened to me, I did raise prices 2 months ago and my experience has been great, no $5 buyers that want everything for just $5

• 1 month later...

@somaginer1996 I think it’s awesome that you have had so much success raising your prices. I would encourage you to keep raising your prices as you gain more experience. Don’t be too afraid of losing regular customers.

If you are good what you do, there are plenty of buyers at every price point. I raise my prices at least once a year. When you go from $5 to $10 you need half as many customers to make the same amount of money.

I have lost some regular customers with each price increase. But, some have stayed. I have always found more customers. I have also found that buyers who invest more in your services are easier to deal with. I am now able to make more money working fewer hours than when I first started out as a freelancer. I enjoy my life and I have the time to try and develop new income streams.

Congratulations. I hope you continue to build on your success.

@somaginer1996 I think it’s awesome that you have had so much success raising your prices. I would encourage you to keep raising your prices as you gain more experience. Don’t be too afraid of losing regular customers.

If you are good what you do, there are plenty of buyers at every price point. I raise my prices at least once a year. When you go from $5 to $10 you need half as many customers to make the same amount of money.

I have lost some regular customers with each price increase. But, some have stayed. I have always found more customers. I have also found that buyers who invest more in your services are easier to deal with. I am now able to make more money working fewer hours than when I first started out as a freelancer. I enjoy my life and I have the time to try and develop new income streams.

Congratulations. I hope you continue to build on your success.

Thanks for the advice and the well wishes!

I’ve only really been around on Fiverr for under a year, so I can’t really speak for that yet. I think that perhaps my lack of qualification as a college student is what has stopped me from raising prices for such a long time, as I often feel afraid to claim expertise when I’m so much younger than many of my clients.

Raising them, however, has proved to be a really good experience, so I’m definitely considering doing it again. I’ve doubled the pricing on my blog post gig, and actually ended up getting even more orders than before, so I guess it’s definitely true that people will stick around! 🙂

• 2 months later...

I have heard over and over that low budget buyers are far more likely to give you hassle and be more demanding than buyers who pay a reasonable rate for the job. I put my prices up too recently after a stroppy potential buyer was angry that I refused to do a job that he had incorrectly ordered. He didn’t want to pay commercial rights. Working with buyers with a professional attitude is definitely the way forward and I have had no lack of quality orders since.Best of luck in your career.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, I’ve also increased prices on my article gig and my all my short stories gigs. I normally only work on larger book projects, but do accept a few smaller orders each month. I still find that I’m incredible busy, despite raising my prices. I highly recommend that everyone increase their prices and work for what they’re really worth.

This is so inspiring! 1. and 3. especially resonated with me because I, too, increased my rates for a gig and did lose some sales, but I was getting better, more professional clients and able to do more comprehensive work for them. This works out better financially and it’s much less stressful.

Congratulations to you and thanks so much for sharing this. I’m glad you took the pledge!

This is great. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I recently raised my prices after 18 months working for $5 for 50 words in voiceover. I took my first order at the new price today and it felt good. I was very nervous about doing it though and I hope the orders continue to come in.

• 1 month later...

Congratulations. I too remained at $5 for a long while when I started but slowly have increased and like you, the quality of my buyers increased too. I have lost some but knowing you are being paid a respectable amount for your work boosts your confidence and opinion of yourself as well as signaling to buyers that you are not bottom of the barrel

Archived